Canada's military is broken and falling apart.

"If the reports are correct that a significant number of Canada’s main battle tanks are poorly maintained and possibly inoperable, this may reflect broader problems within the Canadian Forces. The cost of maintaining battle tanks is predictable and the cost of not adequately maintaining them is foreseeable. This problem is a decade in the making and totally avoidable."

Letters: Defence minister should step down over tank debacle (msn.com)

This is a result of the low priority the liberals have given the military.  Perhaps partly because there are many pacifists in Canada and especially in the Liberal and NDP parties.  They live under the delusion that peace and diplomacy can protect a nation from aggressors.  That is not how the real world is.  It is a utopian dream of many liberals but it is not reality.  They much prefer to support things like the U.N. and W.E.F. and send hundreds of millions of dollars to various other countries.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

The Canadian Military is a pawn of government, no matter who is in power. Conservatives are as much to blame as liberals. I joined many decades ago and it was always a problem with personnel shortage, equipment shortage, maintenance issues, over taskings, budget shortfalls etc etc. The DND has never had sufficient funding to do all it was tasked to do.

They get an annual budget just like all other departments and they get tasked by the government but, they have to use their budget for all tasking so, they run out of money before they can do what they planned for.

Unlike other departments when government makes announcements, there is always funding attached to the announcement, with DND, it is just a tasking, make it happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This continues to illustrate to our allied and other world nations that we are nothing but free loaders, and continue to dismiss our defensive obligations with NORAD, NATO, 5 Eyes, and have been left out of the UKUSAUS defensive pact we were once part of... And yes this is decades worth of neglect, but lets face some facts, the liberals have been in charge for 8 plus long years now.

Currently they hold the reins of power and it is them that should be held responsible...

Another blast across the bow this time from the US media, this should make Canadians stand tall and proud, this is what we, Canadians look like to our allied. Will they wake up and see that our armed forces is on life support, or better yet stand up and do something about it. I think they already know the answer...

This is yet another example of how chronic under-investment in defense has made Canada an unreliable security partner. Despite repeated warnings, successive Canadian governments have simply freeloaded off of the United States and other NATO allies.

For years, the U.S. repeatedly criticized Canada for "freeloading" and urged its northern ally to pull its weight.

Canada's broken tanks evince an unserious security partner | Washington Examiner

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, myata said:

You really can't see that these are related... directly: entitlement; entrenchment; inability to change; aversion to change; stagnation; and decay?

My my, a difficult case, I know.

Yes. but which one's the uncle.

1 hour ago, herbie said:

Washington Examiner, the conservative media outlet too stupid to know that the only country Canadian tanks could be used to defend against is the USA.

WOW where did you grab that one from, I see your another great military historian, Canadians tanks have been defending the free world for more than a century now...

Canada is not the only one that has let defense spending slide...the UK are feeling it as well, just not as bad as Canada is right now. 

These declarations by Wallace to the British channel Sky News come after the same channel reported the day before that a U.S. general had told the British minister that the Armed Forces of the islands were no longer considered to be of a high level.

UK Defense Minister acknowledges that the British Army «has fallen behind». (msn.com)

How could the Canadian government be so dumb to buy four junked submarines from the British?

"'I'm appalled we've done a dumb deal with an ally like this.'—Mike Hancock, British MP

"My God, it's a sad tale, isn't it? 'Buyer beware' should have been painted on the sides of these submarines."

Hancock, a member of Britain's coalition government, has tabled questions in the Westminster Parliament about the deal. He told CBC News he is asking "why we sold them to you knowing there were intrinsic problems in the submarines."

"It's either incompetence on behalf of the Canadians, or sheer, smooth-talking salesmen from the MOD [Ministry of Defence] here in Britain," he added.

Canada paid $750 million for four used Victoria-class Royal Navy submarines in 1998. They had been decommissioned in 1993 when the U.K. decided to focus solely on nuclear subs.

The subs had been based in Hancock's Portsmouth riding. Canada renamed them:

HMCS Chicoutimi.

HMCS Corner Brook.

HMCS Windsor.

HMCS Victoria.

Since then, the navy has spent billions of dollars trying to get them in fighting shape."

Used subs a 'daft' deal for Canada, U.K. MP says | CBC News

We should not forget what a disaster the Canadian military equipment purchasing system.  We needed a major change long ago but it doesn't look like it happened.  The F35 fiasco that dragged on for years is another example of the mismanagement by the government.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

How could the Canadian government be so dumb to buy four junked submarines from the British?

"'I'm appalled we've done a dumb deal with an ally like this.'—Mike Hancock, British MP

"My God, it's a sad tale, isn't it? 'Buyer beware' should have been painted on the sides of these submarines."

Hancock, a member of Britain's coalition government, has tabled questions in the Westminster Parliament about the deal. He told CBC News he is asking "why we sold them to you knowing there were intrinsic problems in the submarines."

"It's either incompetence on behalf of the Canadians, or sheer, smooth-talking salesmen from the MOD [Ministry of Defence] here in Britain," he added.

Canada paid $750 million for four used Victoria-class Royal Navy submarines in 1998. They had been decommissioned in 1993 when the U.K. decided to focus solely on nuclear subs.

The subs had been based in Hancock's Portsmouth riding. Canada renamed them:

HMCS Chicoutimi.

HMCS Corner Brook.

HMCS Windsor.

HMCS Victoria.

Since then, the navy has spent billions of dollars trying to get them in fighting shape."

Used subs a 'daft' deal for Canada, U.K. MP says | CBC News

We should not forget what a disaster the Canadian military equipment purchasing system.  We needed a major change long ago but it doesn't look like it happened.  The F35 fiasco that dragged on for years is another example of the mismanagement by the government.

you have to understand the ideology of the Canadian Forces

the Canadian Forces are saddled with the worst run defense department in the world bar none

the Canadian Forces are desperately trying to preserve their capabilities therein

in the face of a government which is bent on destroying them

the choice was not these submarines vs a better submarine

the choice was these submarines vs no submarines

so the RCN took the only submarines which they could get their hands on

just to preserve the institutional knowledge

as once you stop operating submarines, that capability will be gone forever

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, myata said:

Like that great system where every public service is a top standard of world? In the great picture book of great systems?

17 hours ago, myata said:

You really can't see that these are related... directly: entitlement; entrenchment; inability to change; aversion to change; stagnation; and decay?

My my, a difficult case, I know.

What babble is this???

Again LOL

Edited by ExFlyer

3 hours ago, Contrarian said:

There is psychopathic activities on this forum in my estimation which one keeps deleting his messages after quoting me. 

Why? Because he might be a coward. 

Every single message you delete about violence, I have the screenshot saved, since day 1 when you threatened my family (no longer around, they all deceased, I took it personally for them though).

haha. You think the internet is an environment where only virtual bullies like you can open their mouth? ?

You are like a mosquito that keeps flying and one day you will cross the line. I will be there when you do, troll.

You can apologize and then maybe my perspective will change and maybe i will consider your username ID being worthy with that of a Canadian military officer which puts integrity, not booze first in his interactions. 

You don't think I know you? You are a fellow drunk like me = ) Is the only sympathy that I hold towards you, because I get the anger and struggle. But even that, has a limit when it comes to thuggery. 

Seems to me you have a personal issue to resolve.

9 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

No, you are witnessing the centrist populist movement via 1 insurgent. ?

Don't look at me as a moderate and then you will understand things. 

Your are speaking to the ether with the previous post.

Your edit "No, you are witnessing the centrist populist movement via 1 insurgent that likes his Whisky."    Accusing someone of being an alcoholic is blunt.

You said:

"There is psychopathic activities on this forum in my estimation which one keeps deleting his messages after quoting me. 

"Why? Because he might be a coward."

"Every single message you delete about violence "

"You are like a mosquito that keeps flying and one day you will cross the line"

We know not what or whom you speak of.

Edited by ExFlyer

49 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

I understand why @ExFlyer is upset. A man that for sure did service, I can tell from his writings (Thank you for that!), can not comprehend how himself could not speak against the dejections of one that takes credit as having been in the Canadian Military via a 100$ computer somewhere in a hole.

It had to take a foreigner born working in different areas to come here and place the dot on the i. So I understand your frustration, is not my fault some don't have the courage to speak for their profession. Are you afraid one will swear and use harsh language if you stood up more for your profession? 

For one, I was raised to spot quality, progress. You won't find me dropping my standards just to fit in, brother. 

--> Anyhow, is true I need to slow down in my anger too by trying to be better. There is always tomorrow to try, I guess. 

I am far from upset. I was just curious who you were ranting at.

I am sorry ,but I do not understand or comprehend your writings in the past few posts.

You seem upset at someone...

14 hours ago, Contrarian said:

Listen up, sheep, the troll fake military militia man spoke up, so resume your positions to satisfy the troll :))))

What exactly is wrong with you Contrarian?

Do you want the Canadian military to be a toothless old hag? These guys are making a very good, well reasoned, observation. Hell Poland could give our military a run for its money. Yet we are one of the most affluent nations on Earth.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

What exactly is wrong with you Contrarian?

Do you want the Canadian military to be a toothless old hag? These guys are making a very good, well reasoned, observation. Hell Poland could give our military a run for its money. Yet we are one of the most affluent nations on Earth.

I think the reason Poland can give us a run is the Polish peoples love of their Country. They are united.

Something we sorely seem to lack on our Country.... and getting worse every election.

Only my observation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I think the reason Poland can give us a run is the Polish peoples love of their Country. They are united.

Something we sorely seem to lack on our Country.... and getting worse every election.

Only my observation

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2023/01/22/2840996/protesters-in-warsaw-demonstrate-against-poland-s-backing-for-ukraine-video

United huh? Try making educated guesses.

I love my country. Don't you?

3 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

You don't seem like you do.  Judging by the time you spend criticizing Canada and its allies, while parroting Kremlin and Iranian propaganda, it's hard to believe. 

You're actually citing the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' favored media outlet here.  It's astounding.  That's how demented your worldview and your need to cope with unfavorable reality has become.  IRAN is literally where you need to go to get your news now so that you can maintain some semblance of consistency with how you feel, vs what you're seeing.  ?

18 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Not sure what your link is about? I cannot read it.

I served my Country for 35 years. Did all it asked of me at any time without complaint. When I retired, I was still subject to recall.

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

You don't seem like you do.  Judging by the time you spend criticizing Canada and its allies, while parroting Kremlin and Iranian propaganda, it's hard to believe. 

You're actually citing the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' favored media outlet here.  It's astounding.  That's how demented your worldview and your need to cope with unfavorable reality has become.  IRAN is literally where you need to go to get your news now so that you can maintain some semblance of consistency with how you feel, vs what you're seeing.  ?

Riiight...

https://pl.usembassy.gov/demonstration-alert-u-s-embassy-warsaw-november-10-2022/

This too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-36239756

Do you live with blinders on? Or are you just a common bot?

Edited by Nationalist