15-Minute Cities

So these 15-Minute cities are springing up and in the works all over the world.

Edmonton's proposed City Plan hinging on creation of 15-minute communities as city grows toward two million people | Edmonton Journal

I also saw a picture someone posted of proposed Ottawa 15-minute city, and I'm sure there are more that we don't know about yet.  Another article I saw about the Edmonton ones, said it would not be made "mandatory."

Of course, we were also told that vaccination would not be made mandatory and that children would not be subject to vaccine mandates and a host of other things - frog in a pot of boiling water style.

For me, I'm about 15 minutes to work.  So basically I would be allowed to go from work to home and no further.  No visiting my daughter who lives 2 hours away, no visiting my grandbabies who are 5 hours away.  No calling up a friend and saying, "Hey, let's meet for lunch".

Thoughts?

• Haha 2

Moonbox says it's all a conspiracy until it's true then he says "yeah well stop complaining" 

In the long haul, the red tape poses significant challenges to new home builds and drives housing prices thru the roof, essentially making the average person a debt slave. Easy to control that way

Edited by West
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

Edmonton's proposed City Plan hinging on creation of 15-minute communities as city grows toward two million people | Edmonton Journal

I also saw a picture someone posted of proposed Ottawa 15-minute city, and I'm sure there are more that we don't know about yet.  Another article I saw about the Edmonton ones, said it would not be made "mandatory."

Of course, we were also told that vaccination would not be made mandatory and that children would not be subject to vaccine mandates and a host of other things - frog in a pot of boiling water style.

For me, I'm about 15 minutes to work.  So basically I would be allowed to go from work to home and no further.  No visiting my daughter who lives 2 hours away, no visiting my grandbabies who are 5 hours away.  No calling up a friend and saying, "Hey, let's meet for lunch".

Thoughts?

My thought is that this is a trend, just like suburbs were, just like cities were... and a reaction to problems of the past.  Right now the problem is commuting and people spending too much of their time doing it.

It's still a private function to develop housing, and a fully public process to plan cities so this amounts to a proposal.  If it doesn't fly, then it doesn't.  And if you want to live somewhere far away and drive a long way to work who would stop you.

You are always subject to the whims of developers of planners, even those from decades ago. 

As for being "allowed" to travel - no, thats not what this is about.  To prevent people from travelling permanently would require a sea change in legislation, and probably an authoritarian government.  There's no need to be paranoid about this stuff, unless you enjoy that.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Goddess said:

Thoughts?

Do  you guys check your closets and look under your bed before you go to sleep at night? You turn a proposal that would make it long commutes to work less necessary or not having to drive distances for services during their daily lives into a Warsaw Ghetto.

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, West said:

Moonbox says it's all a conspiracy until it's true then he says "yeah well stop complaining" 

In the long haul, the red tape poses significant challenges to new home builds and drives housing prices thru the roof, essentially making the average person a debt slave. Easy to control that way

Goddess' take on this article falls in with that logic.  Where did anyone, anywhere, even remotely hint at restricting travel in this article?  

Municipalities have been trying to get their downtown cores converted to livable/walkable communities for decades, and this is the same sort of civic planning.  

Of course it's hard to read anything these days without channeling your OUTRAGE and seeing an AGENDA in it.  ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Goddess' take on this article falls in with that logic.  Where did anyone, anywhere, even remotely hint at restricting travel in this article?  

Municipalities have been trying to get their downtown cores converted to livable/walkable communities for decades, and this is the same sort of civic planning.  

Of course it's hard to read anything these days without channeling your OUTRAGE and seeing an AGENDA in it.  ?

Well they were successfully able to implement questionable measures like gathering restrictions OUTDOORS over a flu bug.. 

Imagine what they can do when they hype up "climate change" as a catastrophic "emergency".. 

5 minutes ago, West said:

Imagine what they can do when they hype up "climate change" as a catastrophic "emergency".. 

Imagine what they've already done with the microchips in the vaccines, or what will happen when the alien vampires from Zeta Reticuli finally show themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Imagine what they've already done with the microchips in the vaccines, or what will happen when the alien vampires from Zeta Reticuli finally show themselves. 

Or the perpetual lockdowns and harassment over a flu

Edited by West

This all sounds very '2030 Agenda-ish' to me.

The bit they left out is how the Global Resetter investment class like Black Rock and Vanguard have been buying up the suburbs while Gates and others by up farm and ranch land.

My personal suspicion is this is what the push to go electric with cars is about. Electric and driverless - that's what cars in the 15 minute cities will look like. While Gates and his buddies zip about the vacant countryside, choking down porter house steaks, cuddling city girls all too willing to do anything to get out. They all joke about how they've got the plebs in the cities eating bugs.

There's the conspiracy theory for you in its complete form. And I don't care who doesn't like it. Every day it gets a little more real. Drip, drip, drip.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Infidel Dog said:

This all sounds very '2030 Agenda-ish' to me.

The bit they left out is how the Global Resetter investment class like Black Rock and Vanguard have been buying up the suburbs while Gates and others by up farm and ranch land.

My personal suspicion is this is what the push to go electric with cars is about. Electric and driverless - that's what cars in the 15 minute cities will look like. While Gates and his buddies zip about the vacant countryside, choking down porter house steaks, cuddling city girls all too willing to do anything to get out. They all joke about how they've got the plebs in the cities eating bugs.

There's the conspiracy theory for you in its complete form. And I don't care who doesn't like it. Every day it gets a little more real. Drip, drip, drip.

So you think EVs are going to be limited to 5km range and that no one will be allowed outside their area?  

Lovely premise for dystopian fiction, but nothing more than that.  

1 minute ago, TreeBeard said:

So you think EVs are going to be limited to 5km range and that no one will be allowed outside their area?   

I don't remember saying that. Most likely because I didn't.

Take something like Newsom down in California saying he's going to make gas driven vehicles illegal by 2030 or whenever it is.

The problem with that is it isn't feasible. The grid wouldn't handle it. The money necessary to make it feasible isn't there and never will be. And it's not just in California they're talking about banning gas driven vehicles.

So if there's a push to do this but it can't actually be done what do they really want? Cars they will have enough of a grid to keep in the city while the road trip class is out enjoying the highways as they spin past the plebs they've kept to alive to service the roads.

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Just a new name for the "Burbs" LOL

Burnaby was the 15 minute away 'burbs' when I grew up there. Not by 1970 though! My B-I-L kept trying to claim Abbotsford was 20 mins away at the time (1985) I lived in Langely, that took me 45 mins to get to Kingsway & Boundary...

Now I'm 2 hours to the nearest city with Costco, WalMart, Best Buy etc. and couldn't be happier.

Edited by herbie

16 minutes ago, herbie said:

Burnaby was the 15 minute away 'burbs' when I grew up there. Not by 1970 though! My B-I-L kept trying to claim Abbotsford was 20 mins away at the time (1985) I lived in Langely, that took me 45 mins to get to Kingsway & Boundary...

Now I'm 2 hours to the nearest city with Costco, WalMart, Best Buy etc. and couldn't be happier.

A "burb" is a "burb".

15 minutes away today and an hour away once the traffic lights go up LOL

7 hours ago, Goddess said:

Thoughts?

No you need to be within 15m walking distance of everything not driving distance.  The lefties are trying to limit car use for the climate and stick car tolls everywhere to enforce it.  But maybe some cities aren't doing the tolls (because it's insane)

Edited by Moonlight Graham

6 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

No you need to be within 15m walking distance of everything not driving distance.  The lefties are trying to limit car use for the climate and stick car tolls everywhere to enforce it.  But maybe some cities aren't doing the tolls (because it's insane)

EV’s will require tolls or mileage charges to make up for lost fuel tax revenues.

• Thanks 1

This seems like a catchphrase to give leftist leaders a chance to roll up their shirt sleeves for a photo op with some architects and construction guys, blah, blah, blah.

You know the photo.... "Stand right here and point at a random spot on the map while you appear to pontificate to the planners."

"We've got this great new plan to save the world! This will stop global warming! Why did no one ever think of this before!"  (but honestly, is there a residential neighbourhood anywhere in Canada where it's more than a 15-minute drive to Costco?)

Note that all of this will take place where all the voters are concentrated. It's politicking, and anyone who doesn't use the shiny new catchphrase will be left in the dust.

It's not enough to say: "15-minute cities were the goal of urban planning groups in the last 100 years, they just didn't call it that." Nope. You gotta say "15-minute cities will save us from global warming!!!" and the votards will luvluvluv it.

"Numnumnumnumnumnumnum. Gimme more stuff to save while I sit in mom's basement collecting welfare between protests."

Common sense has always dictated that you have industrial areas and commercial areas, and high, medium and low-density residential zones. Geography dictates where they have to be and where the transit corridors will be, etc.

The message to urban planners is "Just do the same thing as always, BUT WITH THE SHINY NEW CATCHPHRASE!!!"

Edited by WestCanMan

Imagine an Edmonton of two million people where you can live inside a “15-minute district,” with easy access to everything you need by any mode of transportation.
Restaurants, parks, grocery stores and retail stores all within reach inside your own bubble within the larger city.

For those constant whiners that can't even read and whose minds are a conspiracy of their own.
Nowhere does it say you can't own a car or your not allowed to visit your daughter, those are delusions of your mental impairment. Not any great conspiracy, this has been planning policy in many places for decades under the name 'neighbourhoods'. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, herbie said:

Imagine an Edmonton of two million people where you can live inside a “15-minute district,” with easy access to everything you need by any mode of transportation.
Restaurants, parks, grocery stores and retail stores all within reach inside your own bubble within the larger city.

For those constant whiners that can't even read and whose minds are a conspiracy of their own.
Nowhere does it say you can't own a car or your not allowed to visit your daughter, those are delusions of your mental impairment. Not any great conspiracy, this has been planning policy in many places for decades under the name 'neighbourhoods'. 

Given the clear grab for power that took place during covid and the overreaction in the form of unproven and unscientific NPIs and the desire to re-shape the world for now a climate "crisis", is it completely irrational to suspect that the interventions and grabs for authoritarian power for the climate "crisis" will be any different?

They want everyone driving electric vehicles - which few can afford - and want everyone on digital IDs for easy tracking of locations and carbon footprints.

So, some can sense a time coming, very quickly, where we are confined to a 15-Minute radius of your home, and if you try to drive further, your car shuts down and your digital ID both reports you and takes money directly from your account to fine you.

Governments WILL have that ability, that is a fact.

The question is - will they?

Some say that given the excesses, authoritarianism and overreactions to covid, it shows their hand.

So far, the only rebuttal I've heard is "Oh, for gawd's sake, they'd never do that to us."

Except they just did.  And they loved every minute of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1