Do you think the word "brave" is "harmful language?" Is it offensive to Indigenous people?

Contrarian

Do you think the word "brave" is "harmful language" ?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

stanford-main-campus-1.jpg

A friend of mine sent me a Stanford University (California) so called "harmful word."

Original: brave

Stanford University to Swap with: none/do not use

Reason from Stanford University: This term perpetuates the stereotype of the "noble courageous savage," equating the Indigenous male as being less than a man.

---> I want to ask, are there any Indigenous, Native people on this website? I want to ask their opinion about this, do you find this word offensive as Stanford University does? How about the rest of us, do you find this word offensive as the academics at Stanford are saying? 

I think this thread can stay here as Stanford University, if I am not mistaken, receives federal grants. 

Edited by Contrarian

4 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

A friend of mine sent me a Stanford University (California) so called "harmful word."

Reason from Stanford University: This term perpetuates the stereotype of the "noble courageous savage," equating the Indigenous male as being less than a man.

---> I want to ask, are there any Indigenous, Native people on this website? I want to ask their opinion about this, do you find this word offensive as Stanford University does? How about the rest of us, do you find this word offensive as the academics at Stanford are saying? 

I think this thread can stay here as Stanford University, if I am not mistaken, receives federal grants. 

IMO, "brave" has always been a complement and manly adjective. ANTONYM is coward.

• Contrarian changed the title to Do you think the word "brave" is "harmful language." Is it offensive to Indigenous people?
  • Contrarian changed the title to Do you think the word "brave" is "harmful language?" Is it offensive to Indigenous people?
5 hours ago, Contrarian said:

Federal grants are essentially hired work. It's not a donation or free money. Private universities like Stanford and USC are often among the leading research universities--among the best the government can hire/fund. It's an awfully loose association with the fedgov.

2 hours ago, Hodad said:

Federal grants are essentially hired work. It's not a donation or free money. Private universities like Stanford and USC are often among the leading research universities--among the best the government can hire/fund. It's an awfully loose association with the fedgov.

Yes, but I wanted this thread under Federal Politics, so like a lawyer, I pulled a fast one.  😄

Edited by Contrarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2023 at 6:38 PM, Contrarian said:

As an adjective it causes no offense. 
As a noun which describes a caste of Native American people, it should not be used.  

On 1/25/2023 at 2:38 AM, Contrarian said:

I've never thought in my life that people one day going to be offended by word Brave... Clown world