Freedom of speech here in Canada.

I have not even heard of this guy until today, have not listened to his podcast, and really don't care what his opinions are....In my opinion the bank is wrong in this case, and i really hope they get their as$es sued off.

It appears there is a cost to our freedom of speech, i was surfing the net and found this , and it took me somewhat by surprise... This is another example of what it is like to be canceled this time by a bank, yes the Bank of Nava Scotia...It appears they don't like doing business with people whom have different opinions.... This Gentlemen is a Canadian Armed Forces Vet, with a family he now makes his living as a Podcaster, and u tuber like many of our younger generations.... I've read some of the comments in the many other people covering this story, and it blows me away on how easy it is to blow this story off, in fact finding our veteran guilty as charge, or standing up for the bank about they are a private business, and can do business with whom ever they want... Lets look at that shall we .

Every convict in Jail regardless of charges has to have a bank account...murders, pedophiles, rapists', well you get the point....the Khadr family known and proven terrorist have guess what they have bank accounts, a place to store that 10 million in tax payers money, plus all those cheques the government sends them. he is not the only terrorist in Canada thats getting cheques... but you get the idea... My point is this the bank is there to make money , it is a business, it has stock holders, when did it get into the morals and values market...and is this something new we should be aware off, when shopping for new banks should i be asking these questions. like what can i say on social media, what is acceptable to the bank, can i have an opinion, outside of the governments... I no lots of questions...whats your opinion, have they gone to far, is this a form of censorship, and is it the banks function ? 

This is another example of the nation trying to cancel someone out due to simple difference of opinions, Joe Rogen, Jorden Peterson, to name a few...

36 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I have not even heard of this guy until today, have not listened to his podcast, and really don't care what his opinions are....In my opinion the bank is wrong in this case, and i really hope they get their as$es sued off.

It appears there is a cost to our freedom of speech, i was surfing the net and found this , and it took me somewhat by surprise... This is another example of what it is like to be canceled this time by a bank, yes the Bank of Nava Scotia...It appears they don't like doing business with people whom have different opinions.... This Gentlemen is a Canadian Armed Forces Vet, with a family he now makes his living as a Podcaster, and u tuber like many of our younger generations.... I've read some of the comments in the many other people covering this story, and it blows me away on how easy it is to blow this story off, in fact finding our veteran guilty as charge, or standing up for the bank about they are a private business, and can do business with whom ever they want... Lets look at that shall we .

Every convict in Jail regardless of charges has to have a bank account...murders, pedophiles, rapists', well you get the point....the Khadr family known and proven terrorist have guess what they have bank accounts, a place to store that 10 million in tax payers money, plus all those cheques the government sends them. he is not the only terrorist in Canada thats getting cheques... but you get the idea... My point is this the bank is there to make money , it is a business, it has stock holders, when did it get into the morals and values market...and is this something new we should be aware off, when shopping for new banks should i be asking these questions. like what can i say on social media, what is acceptable to the bank, can i have an opinion, outside of the governments... I no lots of questions...whats your opinion, have they gone to far, is this a form of censorship, and is it the banks function ? 

This is another example of the nation trying to cancel someone out due to simple difference of opinions, Joe Rogen, Jorden Peterson, to name a few...

Yup this is the unholy alliance between corporations and government.  It’s called fascism.  The politicians and corporate leaders draw up “good citizen” ESG manifestos then make citizens comply.

Free speech?  Constitutional rights?  Nope.  They’re setting their own rules behind closed doors without a mandate from citizens and consumers.  That’s what the WEF does best.

Add digital currency and a social credit system and banks become extensions of totalitarian government.  Already underway in China and Freeland is licking her lips.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2

Interesting that you wouldn't mention that person's name or what they did.  I wonder why?  All you say is that they served, as if that makes him a saint or even excuses his active participation in an anti government group.

Seems like this may be about the founder of Diagolon?  Described as a right wing violent extremist group based on overthrow?  Not sure if this compares to Omar Khadr who actually renounced violence and was praised by Justice Minister Peter McKay for doing so.

So if you have sympathy for one terrorist, why not have it for a non terrorist?

Personally, I like Canada.  I don't agree with supporting active terrorist groups.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Well, if one supports a bakery's right to refuse making a wedding cake for a gay couple, they can't really be critical of this bank.

Not the same thing. Banking is an essential service. Cake making is not.. thought we established that during Covid ?

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Banks are also prohibited from supporting illegal activities like terrorism and money laundering.

Poor Jeremy I guess...

Don't cry too hard for him, he's got that freedom that the rest of us lack and a clean mind I'm sure.

Did he do either of those? 

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Interesting that you wouldn't mention that person's name or what they did.  I wonder why?  All you say is that they served, as if that makes him a saint or even excuses his active participation in an anti government group.

Seems like this may be about the founder of Diagolon?  Described as a right wing violent extremist group based on overthrow?  Not sure if this compares to Omar Khadr who actually renounced violence and was praised by Justice Minister Peter McKay for doing so.

So if you have sympathy for one terrorist, why not have it for a non terrorist?

Personally, I like Canada.  I don't agree with supporting active terrorist groups.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn’t one person try to kill and the other didn’t?  I guess real terrorists are handed millions in taxpayer dollars while others with anti-government views are de-platformed.  It’s wrong to have banks become a branch of the correctional system for actions that aren’t even crimes.  I guess we don’t care about free speech or rights anymore.  Political disagreement is enough to warrant destroying reputations and stripping people of rights.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, West said:

Not the same thing. Banking is an essential service. Cake making is not.. thought we established that during Covid ?

Exactly the same thing, it is refusing to provide service for ideological reasons. In this case it is also for criminal reasons.

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 1

Just now, Aristides said:

Did you bother to read any of the links posted about this guy?

I dont take the group "anti hate" seriously.. a leftist looney tune organization. 

I know he was arrested.. tho I'm sure there's many of folks sitting in cells who have bank accounts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aristides said:

You don't have to take them seriously, there  are plenty of other sources.

How many people in cells have Scotiabank accounts? 

Very odd a Canadian would support Chinese-style social credit tactics.. 

You don't have to like the guy.. but it's pretty low to severe his access to funds over a political disagreement 

Edited by West

Freedom of speech = beging charged with crimes and being dangerous (with firearms)?  Hello wikipedia:

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) issued a Canada-wide arrest warrant for MacKenzie in July 2022, and he was arrested on 29 September in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia.[11] MacKenzie was charged with crimes in three provinces, including Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia.[2][8] His charges include: criminal harassment, uttering threats, assault, pointing a firearm at someone, and ten counts of possessing restricted firearms and prohibited magazines.[8] He was denied bail on the 7th October 2022.[11][12] MacKenzie fired his lawyer on the 13th October 2022.[13] After being held in Saskatoon Provincial Correctional Centre,[8][14] he was granted bail on November 25, 2022.[15]

MacKenzie made racist comments and discussed raping Anaida Galindo (wife of Conservative Party leader Pierre Poilievre) with podcast guest with Alex Vriend, prompting Poilievre to ask the RCMP to investigate him.[16][7] An RCMP investigation was ongoing in October 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_MacKenzie_(activist)

He's also a member of a far-right extremist group.  And this guy went into a local Nova Scotia business and waved a handgun around apparently:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8593064/ns-man-ottawa-convoy-protest-firearms-charge/

So if I were Scotiabank I would also close all business associations with him and ban him from all banking locations, although I would kinda fear being shot up in retaliation.

As for the Omar Khadr comparisons...sure I wouldn't be in business with him either.

• Like 2

I think the term "terrorist" is WAY over used. But...it appears the term actually still means something to Libbies. Thus...going forward...I think it's time to call any and all who support the imposition of suffering on the population..."Terrorists".

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Contrarian said:

So many sources ?

I don't understand this instinct, just because someone served, it means he is a point of reference in a society? 

The military, like every profession, you chose to go in, has good (Thank you for serving!) and bad apples. This man supports a movement to overthrow a legal elected government. He does not speak for me and never will, same thing would have been if the former soldier was a member of an Antifa podcast and the government was conservative. And you want me to go out of my way and support this man, because he wore a specific uniform at one time? 

I wish more people would stand up for the ethics of their profession and don't promote agitators, it helps the overall perception about the institution that some claim to be their identity is my opinion on this. 

I have great respect for those who serve this country, past and present. Unfortunately there seems to be a small core of radicalized individuals who are spoiling it for all the rest. Hopefully the military will find a way of dealing with this because I have to think it is one of the things that makes recruiting good people more difficult.

Edited by Aristides

12 hours ago, West said:

How many people in cells have Scotiabank accounts? 

Very odd a Canadian would support Chinese-style social credit tactics.. 

You don't have to like the guy.. but it's pretty low to severe his access to funds over a political disagreement 

Maybe once he is in jail they will let him re open his accounts.

The issue is that sentencing now has this unofficial additional component on the corporate side.  You don’t just get a punishment set and delivered by the justice system through the correction system of jails and probation officers, etc.  Corporations are levying additional punishments that can do much more damage. It appears that arms are twisted on the corporate side through a phone call from a government minister or RCMP technocrat to one of the higher-ups at corporate. Transparency and constitutional rights are secondary considerations that might be avoided. As Lametti said about protesters last February, “If you’re a Donald Trump supporter I’d be worried.”  Really?  Your political views can both imprison and de-platform you.  I understand that domestic terrorism must be seriously consequenced.  I’m skeptical about how such terms are interpreted by government, and it’s dangerous for law enforcement to co-opt private businesses.

Edited by Zeitgeist