Oil Billionaire Sues to Stop Criticism

22 hours ago, Hodad said:

The price of fuel is up. So is domestic production--way up.

Is it? Is domestic production of fuel up--way up?

Then why was America energy independent during Trump's Time in office but during Biden's he's hat in hand to Venezuela and kissing the rings of Arabian Sheiks begging to send more.

Even by Legato's graph which seems to indulge in a little creative graphing at the end (which I'm told is common. To tail a graph upwards at the end.) it looks like whatever increase there is, is Biden is making statistical hay off Trump's increases.

Edited by Infidel Dog

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I have posted facts...which you ignore.

Nope. And you're not fooling anyone who has read this thread. Your unsubstantiated claims are not facts. Your feelings and hunches are not facts. 

If you don't know what facts are, try looking at the energy production data, oil sites in operation, volume produced etc.

The most oil the US has EVER produced is 13.1 million barrels per day, in March 2020. 

In the volatility of the pandemic, production hit a contextual low of 9.7 million barrels in August 2020 and again in Feb 2021, a month after Biden was sworn in. Last week it was at 12.3 million barrels--historically, a  huge number--near a record high, and up more than 20% from those lows. Interactive charts.

^ Those, are facts. Those are the sorts of things you'd want to use to support your claims--if indeed you could locate any evidence that actually does support your claims. But you just keep talking out of your ass.

2 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Is it? Is domestic production of fuel up--way up?

Then why was America energy independent during Trump's Time in office but during Biden's he's hat in hand to Venezuela and kissing the rings of Arabian Sheiks begging to send more.

Even by Legato's graph which seems to indulge in a little creative graphing at the end (which I'm told is common. To tail a graph upwards at the end.) it looks like whatever increase there is, is Biden is making statistical hay off Trump's increases.

Yes, it is way up. See above. 

I don't think you understand what it means to be energy independent. Essentially, it means that we produce enough energy to meet our needs. But it does not mean that we are *literally* independent of the global marketplace. 

Post pandemic, US production ramped back up faster than global production. Prices are dictated by the global market, not solely by US production. So when prices were high and ignorant fools were running around putting Biden stickers on gas pumps, Biden himself was actually trying to solve the problem by convincing other major producers to get their shit back together and ramp production back up. I'm not sure why you characterize that as some kind of subservience. Every president has engaged with the cartel to try to influence production and pricing on a global scale. 

The US produces a LOT of oil, but even at record high capacity we're not even close to being able to substantially lower the price of a global commodity. You can't move the needle unless you engage the other major players. That's just reality.

1 hour ago, Hodad said:

Nope. And you're not fooling anyone who has read this thread. Your unsubstantiated claims are not facts. Your feelings and hunches are not facts. 

If you don't know what facts are, try looking at the energy production data, oil sites in operation, volume produced etc.

The most oil the US has EVER produced is 13.1 million barrels per day, in March 2020. 

In the volatility of the pandemic, production hit a contextual low of 9.7 million barrels in August 2020 and again in Feb 2021, a month after Biden was sworn in. Last week it was at 12.3 million barrels--historically, a  huge number--near a record high, and up more than 20% from those lows. Interactive charts.

^ Those, are facts. Those are the sorts of things you'd want to use to support your claims--if indeed you could locate any evidence that actually does support your claims. But you just keep talking out of your ass.

You're just being silly now.

You see the results of the last 2 years, yet somehow it what? Didn't happen?

Lets try a more simple approach. When the POTUS says things like:

When the POTUS suspends new oil leases.

Number one, no more subsidies for fossil fuel industry. No more drilling on federal lands. No more drilling, including offshore. No ability for the oil industry to continue to drill, period, ends, number one.

We are going to get rid of fossil fuels.

And the result? Oil prices go up. IMMEDIATELY!

The man is a friggin' menace.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

You're just being silly now.

You see the results of the last 2 years, yet somehow it what? Didn't happen?

Lets try a more simple approach. When the POTUS says things like:

When the POTUS suspends new oil leases.

And the result? Oil prices go up. IMMEDIATELY!

The man is a friggin' menace.

Lol. You're getting closer to an actual argument and evidence. It is amazing that you think Biden is such an all-powerful commander of the global marketplace!

How about a rational argument? By what mechanism do you propose that Biden increased prices? Did he reduce supply? (Nope, that supply went up dramatically.) Did he establish new gas taxes? (Nope.) Did he nationalize the industry and establish price controls to raise the price? (Nope.)

Again, how exactly are you proposing that he raised gas prices domestically, or indeed, around the world?

On 1/21/2023 at 2:33 AM, Moonlight Graham said:

Its not defamation if its true.  Beto will get off.

The biggest conspiracies are right in from of our eyes.  Follow the money.  This stuff happens regularly.

Rich people often sue just to harass other people. The outcome is irrelevant as long as the other guy gets large bills he can’t afford. O’Rourke is OK because the missus is loaded but it’s a tactic used to intimidate those of modest means. Here’s a preposterous example from Britain. The head of the Wagner Group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, was able to sue a British journalist in Britain for alleging he was…head of the Wagner Group. The case was abandoned a month after Russia invaded Ukraine but the journalist was still left with costs of 70,000 pounds because he was sued personally. 

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/prigozhin-government-russia-ukraine-hack-libel-slapp/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/24/uk-government-let-lawyers-bypass-sanctions-to-help-putin-ally-sue-journalist

10 hours ago, Hodad said:

Yes, it is way up. See above. 

Not sure what you're talking about.

Are you talking about your link where they talk about how oil profits are up? Profits and production are not the same thing. The price of oil skyrocketed and they invested less. Joe made sure there was less to invest in. So yeah the oil companies made out like bandits. But they produced less not more. It they were pumping out the fuel to record limits like you suggest why would Joe have to empty out the emergency reserve?

Or are you talking about Legato's graph?

chart.png

Maybe we read graphs differently but the way I read that one Joe inherited an amazing rise in oil production. He did not create it.

8 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Not sure what you're talking about.

Are you talking about your link where they talk about how oil profits are up? Profits and production are not the same thing. The price of oil skyrocketed and they invested less. Joe made sure there was less to invest in. So yeah the oil companies made out like bandits. But they produced less not more. It they were pumping out the fuel to record limits like you suggest why would Joe have to empty out the emergency reserve?

Or are you talking about Legato's graph?

chart.png

Maybe we read graphs differently but the way I read that one Joe inherited an amazing rise in oil production. He did not create it.

When I said "See above" I was referring to the post directly above my reply to you. I'll quote it again here, but this info has been shared multiple times on the forum. 

20 hours ago, Hodad said:

You and @Nationalist are factually incorrect in a huge way. How can you possibly claim that oil companies produced less oil? How are we having this conversation while you are looking at charts and data that make these facts plain. 

Biden (or any POTUS) tapped the reserve in an attempt to ease the pain of domestic gas prices because he can't wave a wand and change a global market prices, but he can release SPR directly to our refineries. And it did ease prices.

You are *sort of* correct that Biden inherited accelerating oil production. So did Trump. Domestic oil production has been on a tear since the early Obama administration--and guess what, none of those presidents had much to do with it. But despite a macro trend for accelerating production, the industry was hugely disrupted by the pandemic (and then later by the war in Russia). So on a macro chart it looks like Biden inherited accelerating production.

But if you zoom in a bit on that macro chart you can see that production took a huge hit in the pandemic. The market was so chaotic that Trump and other major producers struck a deal to dramatically cut production. Do you guys not remember what was happening in 2020 when oil was basically worthless? Producers were actually paying firms to store oil that they didn't want to sell at huge losses? It was so unprofitable to produce oil that companies were going out of business left and right and sites were being mothballed to avoid running at a loss. Any of this familiar? The market demanded dramatic cuts in production, but Trump's deal also helped to control the crash for a softer landing. Global production was very low. But as the pandemic eased (under Biden) demand came back faster than production. Production is not a switch that can be flipped. Those failed producers don't just come back to life and the surviving producers don't invest in re-starting paused sites until the have some confidence in sustained demand. Production must be nurtured and coaxed back with high prices--which we all paid. 

Outside of special circumstances, presidents just aren't that relevant, despite what the fools putting stickers on gas pumps imagine. I don't intend for anyone to give credit to Biden for robust domestic production, but he also didn't prevent it. The same is true of the high prices.  I just want to inject some reality. You can't rationally say he that Biden's long-term stance on energy drove up prices while domestic production is soaring. You can't rationally claim that he destroyed our energy independence when we are producing at near-record levels. Those are nonsense claims contradicted by real world facts. 

Edited by Hodad

2 hours ago, Hodad said:

When I said "See above" I was referring to the post directly above my reply to you. I'll quote it again here, but this info has been shared multiple times on the forum. 

You and @Nationalist are factually incorrect in a huge way. How can you possibly claim that oil companies produced less oil? How are we having this conversation while you are looking at charts and data that make these facts plain. 

Biden (or any POTUS) tapped the reserve in an attempt to ease the pain of domestic gas prices because he can't wave a wand and change a global market prices, but he can release SPR directly to our refineries. And it did ease prices.

You are *sort of* correct that Biden inherited accelerating oil production. So did Trump. Domestic oil production has been on a tear since the early Obama administration--and guess what, none of those presidents had much to do with it. But despite a macro trend for accelerating production, the industry was hugely disrupted by the pandemic (and then later by the war in Russia). So on a macro chart it looks like Biden inherited accelerating production.

But if you zoom in a bit on that macro chart you can see that production took a huge hit in the pandemic. The market was so chaotic that Trump and other major producers struck a deal to dramatically cut production. Do you guys not remember what was happening in 2020 when oil was basically worthless? Producers were actually paying firms to store oil that they didn't want to sell at huge losses? It was so unprofitable to produce oil that companies were going out of business left and right and sites were being mothballed to avoid running at a loss. Any of this familiar? The market demanded dramatic cuts in production, but Trump's deal also helped to control the crash for a softer landing. Global production was very low. But as the pandemic eased (under Biden) demand came back faster than production. Production is not a switch that can be flipped. Those failed producers don't just come back to life and the surviving producers don't invest in re-starting paused sites until the have some confidence in sustained demand. Production must be nurtured and coaxed back with high prices--which we all paid. 

Outside of special circumstances, presidents just aren't that relevant, despite what the fools putting stickers on gas pumps imagine. I don't intend for anyone to give credit to Biden for robust domestic production, but he also didn't prevent it. The same is true of the high prices.  I just want to inject some reality. You can't rationally say he that Biden's long-term stance on energy drove up prices while domestic production is soaring. You can't rationally claim that he destroyed our energy independence when we are producing at near-record levels. Those are nonsense claims contradicted by real world facts. 

I could give a rat's ass how much you think the oil companies produced. The inescapable fact is...Biden became POTUS, he made his initial moves, and the price of fuel went through the roof.

End of story.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

I could give a rat's ass how much you think the oil companies produced. The inescapable fact is...Biden became POTUS, he made his initial moves, and the price of fuel went through the roof.

End of story.

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you don't care about the facts of oil production. You don't care why the prices were up. And when that information is provided you actively ignore it. You're just pretty sure that whatever was going on is definitely Biden's fault because Biden baaaaaaad.

Now, how a functional adult can be satisfied with this kind of willful ignorance is an open question and something I will never understand. I always want to know.

2 hours ago, Hodad said:

What you describe can be seen on Legato's chart. But no, it does not show Trump inheriting any kind of rise in oil production from Obama like Biden inherited from Trump.

I do remember what happened in 2020. The Saudi's had been engaged in a price war with Russian and had been flooding the market. This went into the pandemic and left the world with a glut in oil.

The idea energy independence during the Trump years doesn't matter is wordplay bafflegab. Yes, energy independence simply means more exporting and the importing. An online progressive fact check will tell you therefore it doesn't actually matter.

In reality why aren't we still doing it?

Joe had to go into the strategic oil reserves. Trump didn't. Biden had to go to the Saudi's cap in hand begging for an oil production increase. Trump didn't. Towards the end he was trying to get them to cut back. 

Trump cut regulations and opened reserved lands. Oil production increased. That was not left over magic from the Obama years. The moment Joe took power he put a stop to all Trump energy policies. Oil prices rose. Production took an immediate dump but now it is rising again approaching Trump levels.

Things rise and fall in steps. They rose drastically during the Trump years took a small dump when Biden took power and currently they are leveling high where Trump put them. Much as a drastic rise in global temperatures happened during the 1998 Super El Nino then temperatures leveled high and still are. It happens.

But as Nationalist said prices are still higher than what they were during the Trump years. That's what people see and no amount of Proggish bafflegab will make them stop seeing it.

56 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you don't care about the facts of oil production. You don't care why the prices were up. And when that information is provided you actively ignore it. You're just pretty sure that whatever was going on is definitely Biden's fault because Biden baaaaaaad.

Now, how a functional adult can be satisfied with this kind of willful ignorance is an open question and something I will never understand. I always want to know.

Its not that I don't care about production...its that you're reading this all backwards.

And if you really want to know...

1 hour ago, Infidel Dog said:

What you describe can be seen on Legato's chart. But no, it does not show Trump inheriting any kind of rise in oil production from Obama like Biden inherited from Trump.

I do remember what happened in 2020. The Saudi's had been engaged in a price war with Russian and had been flooding the market. This went into the pandemic and left the world with a glut in oil.

The idea energy independence during the Trump years doesn't matter is wordplay bafflegab. Yes, energy independence simply means more exporting and the importing. An online progressive fact check will tell you therefore it doesn't actually matter.

In reality why aren't we still doing it?

Joe had to go into the strategic oil reserves. Trump didn't. Biden had to go to the Saudi's cap in hand begging for an oil production increase. Trump didn't. Towards the end he was trying to get them to cut back. 

Trump cut regulations and opened reserved lands. Oil production increased. That was not left over magic from the Obama years. The moment Joe took power he put a stop to all Trump energy policies. Oil prices rose. Production took an immediate dump but now it is rising again approaching Trump levels.

Things rise and fall in steps. They rose drastically during the Trump years took a small dump when Biden took power and currently they are leveling high where Trump put them. Much as a drastic rise in global temperatures happened during the 1998 Super El Nino then temperatures leveled high and still are. It happens.

But as Nationalist said prices are still higher than what they were during the Trump years. That's what people see and no amount of Proggish bafflegab will make them stop seeing it.

At this point I'm convinced you're just trolling me. When you look at the damn graph, you don't see the skyrocketing production starting 2009-ish? Domestic oil production fell for over 30 years, but under the Obama administration it started booming. That boom continued for most of Trump's term and then crashed for reasons discussed. There was no crash during Biden's term, it has grown dramatically. Just open your eyes and look at the graph. ANY graph. This is one I have shared and Legato shared. This one is current through last week.

Jan 2009 5,114 mil barrels

Jan 2017 8,875  - Obama ended his terms with 3,761 mil barrels added, avg 470 per year

Jan 2021 11,124 - Trump ended his term with 2,249 mil barrels added, avg 562 per year

Jan 2023 12.2  - Biden is halfway through his first term with 1.1 mil barrels added, avg 550 per year

^^All of this following over three decades of falling production. These are HUGE numbers.

Aside from the same pandemic volatility Trump experienced, production DID NOT "take a dump" under Biden. It "took a dump" under Trump and has been rebuilt under Biden. Biden took office Jan 2021, FYI.

image.thumb.png.c692922f66d3f4257bd9c300845647fd.png

I swear, you people will say absolutely anything if it feels convenient. 

Biden destroyed energy independence! (Nope, oil production increased dramatically under Biden, and we were a net exporter of energy in both 2021 and 2022.)

Production "took a dump" under Biden! (Nope, oil production took a dump at the end of the Trump administration and has increased dramatically under Biden.)

Biden caused high gas prices! (Nope, Biden has almost no influence on a global market and the only thing he can somewhat influence, domestic production, increased dramatically.)

You and @Nationalist say that Biden caused all of these bad things to happen, and it's plain as day that A. the bad things DIDN'T actually happen and B. clearly the things that didn't happen weren't caused by Biden.

It is appalling to me that you call facts "progressive bafflegab." Really? If you think that actual facts are nonsense, what does that make your lies? 

The only thing you guys have right is that most people are too goddamn stupid to understand that gas prices are the product of a global marketplace. You have that right. I can't tell at this point whether that group includes you, or whether you can see the facts, but instead of helping others learn you'll tell them politically convenient lies and exploit their ignorance. Either way, not good.

50 minutes ago, Hodad said:

At this point I'm convinced you're just trolling me. When you look at the damn graph, you don't see the skyrocketing production starting 2009-ish? Domestic oil production fell for over 30 years, but under the Obama administration it started booming. That boom continued for most of Trump's term and then crashed for reasons discussed. There was no crash during Biden's term, it has grown dramatically. Just open your eyes and look at the graph. ANY graph. This is one I have shared and Legato shared. This one is current through last week.

Jan 2009 5,114 mil barrels

Jan 2017 8,875  - Obama ended his terms with 3,761 mil barrels added, avg 470 per year

Jan 2021 11,124 - Trump ended his term with 2,249 mil barrels added, avg 562 per year

Jan 2023 12.2  - Biden is halfway through his first term with 1.1 mil barrels added, avg 550 per year

^^All of this following over three decades of falling production. These are HUGE numbers.

Aside from the same pandemic volatility Trump experienced, production DID NOT "take a dump" under Biden. It "took a dump" under Trump and has been rebuilt under Biden. Biden took office Jan 2021, FYI.

image.thumb.png.c692922f66d3f4257bd9c300845647fd.png

I swear, you people will say absolutely anything if it feels convenient. 

Biden destroyed energy independence! (Nope, oil production increased dramatically under Biden, and we were a net exporter of energy in both 2021 and 2022.)

Production "took a dump" under Biden! (Nope, oil production took a dump at the end of the Trump administration and has increased dramatically under Biden.)

Biden caused high gas prices! (Nope, Biden has almost no influence on a global market and the only thing he can somewhat influence, domestic production, increased dramatically.)

You and @Nationalist say that Biden caused all of these bad things to happen, and it's plain as day that A. the bad things DIDN'T actually happen and B. clearly the things that didn't happen weren't caused by Biden.

It is appalling to me that you call facts "progressive bafflegab." Really? If you think that actual facts are nonsense, what does that make your lies? 

The only thing you guys have right is that most people are too goddamn stupid to understand that gas prices are the product of a global marketplace. You have that right. I can't tell at this point whether that group includes you, or whether you can see the facts, but instead of helping others learn you'll tell them politically convenient lies and exploit their ignorance. Either way, not good.

@Infidel Dog - I don't know Dog. Is he really this confused? Or just really partisan?

2 hours ago, Hodad said:

Actually this is the first time I've seen the one you tell me you've shared with Legato.

This one:

MCRFPUS2M.jpg

It pretty much shows what I said. Except when you go way back like that what you see is oil production rising during Obama's term from the cellar he found them in to the peak levels of the 70s. The dip from the continuous rise in 2020 was when Biden took over and shut everything down.

And here's why (from EIA):

"Historically, crude oil production had been declining in the US in the 80s and 90s, but began a precipitous rise in 2010-2018 due to new methods in extracting oil like hydraulic fracturing."

But it rose to new levels during Trump. And rose even further due to Trump deregulation and opening of previously closed lands.

When Biden took over it was confusing where he stood on Fracking but he wrote down there would be no new fracking. Recently he's come out for and said he never was against it. So that's what the little downturn then return is to the peak he inherited is about. 

Trump did not inherit a peak from Obama. He inherited a rise to an old 70s peak due to oil companies adoption of fracking techniques.

And don't tell me to ignore my lying eyes about the Saudis flooding the market with oil going into the pandemic, and Biden having to open the strategic oil reserves because of shortages, and beg cap in hand to Arabia and Venezuela for more oil from them. WE know he did that and we know Trump didn't because we saw it happen or not happen. You can debate wonky little data bites and bafflegab it until the cows come home, we saw that happen and we remember when oil was cheap during the Trump years and we notice that it isn't today.

Edited by Infidel Dog

20 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Actually this is the first time I've seen the one you tell me you've shared with Legato.

This one:

MCRFPUS2M.jpg

It pretty much shows what I said. Except when you go way back like that what you see is oil production rising during Obama's term from the cellar he found them in to the peak levels of the 70s. The dip from the continuous rise in 2020 was when Biden took over and shut everything down.

And here's why (from EIA):

"Historically, crude oil production had been declining in the US in the 80s and 90s, but began a precipitous rise in 2010-2018 due to new methods in extracting oil like hydraulic fracturing."

But it rose to new levels during Trump. And rose even further due to Trump deregulation and opening of previously closed lands.

When Biden took over it was confusing where he stood on Fracking but he wrote down there would be no new fracking. Recently he's come out for and said he never was against it. So that's what the little downturn then return is to the peak he inherited is about. 

Trump did not inherit a peak from Obama. He inherited a rise to an old 70s peak due to oil companies adoption of fracking techniques.

And don't tell me to ignore my lying eyes about the Saudis flooding the market with oil going into the pandemic, and Biden having to open the strategic oil reserves because of shortages, and beg cap in hand to Arabia and Venezuela for more oil from them. WE know he did that and we know Trump didn't because we saw it happen or not happen. You can debate wonky little data bites and bafflegab it until the cows come home, we saw that happen and we remember when oil was cheap during the Trump years and we notice that it isn't today.

No, it does NOT show what you said. Jeebus. You keep talking about how production "took a dump" but the (relative) crash in production WAS NOT under Biden. It was under Trump. There was some extreme monthly volatility during the pandemic under both presidents, but the fundamentals have only grown post 2021. I guarantee you that exactly zero sites stopped producing oil for a month because Biden did or didn't make some remark about fracking. That's simply NOT how business works. It's absurd.

image.thumb.png.80db4f6c5fbe838448b29555df4c943f.png

And this characterization of going to other nations "cap in hand" is absurd. Biden tried to get them to increase production, as the US was doing, to help ease prices . Did Trump go to OPEC "cap in hand" to get them to decrease production--another change in production we desperately needed to support higher prices? Or is that childish characterization reserved for one party?

Edited by Hodad

19 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Gas prices are too high! Biden sucks for using the strategic reserve to lower gas prices! Biden sucks for going "cap in hand" to convince other producers to increase supply and lower gas prices! Gas prices are too high and that's all that matters!

Meanwhile, domestic production has increased under Biden at nearly the same rate it increased under Trump. Biden probably sucks for that too.?

Like I said, I don't think you folks are even remotely interested in reality, as long as you can say Biden sucks, that's good enough. Which, you know, fine for politicians trying to make hay, but pretty shitty for a discussion forum.