Former PM Pierre Trudeau started his "just society" for Canada

The CBC and CTV pathetically repeat the famous defense lawyer on the news saying why the government should bring the ISIS fighters back to Canada.  It is quite obvious whose side the mainstream media are on.  They rarely give some expert of some reputation with a contrary opinion to speak on the news, but repeat this guy once or twice an hour the past couple of days.   Obvious liberal-left puppets.

Edited by blackbird

38 minutes ago, blackbird said:

You might be ok with shelling out your dollars for the fictional war on climate change, but I like milllions of others see it as a huge scam.  Try Google for the fraud of man-made climate change.  Many scientists shave debunked it.  Where is the proof that man is causing it.  Man contributes a tiny amount of the CO2 in the atmosphere and there are also other factors that cause global warming such as water vapour, the sun's radiation, etc.

Actually, I'm not.  Whilst I believe fully in human caused climate change, and find those who do not to be delusional, I think the issue of what to do about it is far more complicated.  I live in central Alberta.  There is absolutely no way we are going to give up natural gas in the foreseeable future.  At least we are replacing coal in the power stations.  That said, worldwide, coal use is up.

Currently the level of cooperation between the countries most responsible for AGW is dismal, and will never amount to enough action to combat climate change.  I would like to have seen much more emphasis on nuclear power twenty or thirty years ago.

Before you get your knickers in a twist, I don't think we are all going extinct.  I just think things are going to get worse for people, pretty much all over.  For some people that's going to be disastrous.  For others (me) not so much, yet.  My well might dry up. 

The problem is, all those people for whom climate change is going to be disastrous are going to want to live somewhere where it isn't.  Those who already live where it isn't are probably not going to be okay with that.  And as climate change progresses, the area where it is is going to grow, and the area where it isn't is going to shrink.

I have no idea what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure it will entail unhappy people all round.

As for shelling out dollars, what do you mean exactly?  I'm pretty sure I've made money on the carbon tax.

Edited by bcsapper

46 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

As for shelling out dollars, what do you mean exactly?

The government charges carbon tax on certain things like auto fuels, gas and diesel and oil and natural gas heating.  This is applied to transportation for goods and pushes up the price of everything.  They have been increasing the carbon taxes every year.   Taxes do absolutely nothing to stop climate change.  I don't believe carbon taxes have reduced the amount of CO2 emitted in the atmosphere because people are not going to stop heating their homes or driving their vehicles.  So it does not stop CO2 emissions.  Depending on a person's income, they receive a rebate every year.  In B.C. people on the lower income scale get the biggest rebate.  So it is really a wealth redistribution scheme by the leftist NDP government in B.C.

Secondly, the amount of CO2 emitted by humans in the world is only 3% of the atmospheric CO2.  The other 97% is natural.  However man is not going to change that 3% in any significant way for a variety of reasons.  Millions of people around the world need to travel in motor vehicles and will continue to do so into the foreseeable future.  They will mostly be driving vehicles that use fossil fuels.  I don't see any significant way that man will reduce that 3% of the CO2 he contributes.  We have to be realistic.  Any major cut in CO2 would require changing the whole system of life on the planet and there is nothing to seriously replace fossil fuels.  Our system of material goods, vehicles etc is built on free enterprise and unless someone comes up with some alternative way for the millions of people to earn a decent living within the free enterprise system, it cannot be changed.  Government does not have the resources to replace fossil fuels and the incomes of the mass of population.  Government cannot do it.

But it still boils down to the fact there is no proof man is the cause of climate change.  The whole idea is built on very flimsy claims and no real proof.

6 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The government charges carbon tax on certain things like auto fuels, gas and diesel and oil and natural gas heating.  This is applied to transportation for goods and pushes up the price of everything.  They have been increasing the carbon taxes every year.   Taxes do absolutely nothing to stop climate change.  I don't believe carbon taxes have reduced the amount of CO2 emitted in the atmosphere because people are not going to stop heating their homes or driving their vehicles.  So it does not stop CO2 emissions.  Depending on a person's income, they receive a rebate every year.  In B.C. people on the lower income scale get the biggest rebate.  So it is really a wealth redistribution scheme by the leftist NDP government in B.C.

Secondly, the amount of CO2 emitted by humans in the world is only 3% of the atmospheric CO2.  The other 97% is natural.  However man is not going to change that 3% in any significant way for a variety of reasons.  Millions of people around the world need to travel in motor vehicles and will continue to do so into the foreseeable future.  They will mostly be driving vehicles that use fossil fuels.  I don't see any significant way that man will reduce that 3% of the CO2 he contributes.  We have to be realistic.  Any major cut in CO2 would require changing the whole system of life on the planet and there is nothing to seriously replace fossil fuels.  Our system of material goods, vehicles etc is built on free enterprise and unless someone comes up with some alternative way for the millions of people to earn a decent living within the free enterprise system, it cannot be changed.  Government does not have the resources to replace fossil fuels and the incomes of the mass of population.  Government cannot do it.

But it still boils down to the fact there is no proof man is the cause of climate change.  The whole idea is built on very flimsy claims and no real proof.

Yeah, I know what the carbon tax is.  I just don't see myself shelling out any money.  Granted, I haven't taken my calculator to it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not losing any money. 

With the recent jump in energy prices that might change, but I still would not classify it as 'shelling out money'.

21 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Yeah, I know what the carbon tax is.  I just don't see myself shelling out any money.  Granted, I haven't taken my calculator to it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not losing any money. 

With the recent jump in energy prices that might change, but I still would not classify it as 'shelling out money'.

Before I moved in 2016, I heated the home with natural gas and kept my receipts for home heating and auto gas and it worked out to about $300 a year for carbon taxes.  So from the time they started the carbon taxes in B.C. in 2008 to 2016, it would be about $300 times 8 equal to about $2400 in carbon taxes.  There was no rebate at that time as far as I know.  As a retired person, $2400 is a significant amount or money that was taken from us.  For what?  There was no decrease in CO2 emissions in B.C.  It was just a tax grab by the BC Liberal Party which is just a lighter version of the NDP.  The people are so dumb they seem to say nothing about the taxes in B.C.   I hope they don't believe the government is going to save them from climate change because it is not going to happen.  We should be preparing for extreme weather such as heat waves and heavy rain or snow.  

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Also, I believe God has a plan for mankind.  There are some serious things that are in the future.  It says nothing specifically about climate change in the Bible.  I doubt that is one of the significant things that are going to happen to mankind.  A bigger concern is nuclear war because Russia and the U.S. each have thousands of nuclear missiles.  I think Russia has 6,000.   Also China has them.  Russia has been threatening the west with nuclear weapons lately which is a very dangerous thing to do.  Who knows what may happen.  The history of mankind has been wars.  Putin is a kind of mad man.  Also Iran is a rising power that may be secretly building nuclear weapons.  Also N. Korea and China are dangerous.  There are a lot more things to be concerned about besides climate change which I don't think we can control.

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Also, I believe God has a plan for mankind.  There are some serious things that are in the future.  It says nothing specifically about climate change in the Bible.  I doubt that is one of the significant things that are going to happen to mankind.  A bigger concern is nuclear war because Russia and the U.S. each have thousands of nuclear missiles.  I think Russia has 6,000.   Also China has them.  Russia has been threatening the west with nuclear weapons lately which is a very dangerous thing to do.  Who knows what may happen.  The history of mankind has been wars.  Putin is a kind of mad man.  Also Iran is a rising power that may be secretly building nuclear weapons.  Also N. Korea and China are dangerous.  There are a lot more things to be concerned about besides climate change which I don't think we can control.

It doesn't say anything about nuclear war in the bible, does it?

Still, I don't completely disagree with you on the issue of controlling AGW.  I think it's not a case of can't though.  It's a case of won't.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

It doesn't say anything about nuclear war in the bible, does it?

Still, I don't completely disagree with you on the issue of controlling AGW.  I think it's not a case of can't though.  It's a case of won't.

No, it doesn't use the words nuclear war.  We must remember at the time these prophecies were written several thousand years ago, men fought with spears and bows and arrows.

Three Bible passages that might warn of a nuclear war in the end times

"How would a prophet describe the after effects of a nuclear blast?

Basically, these prophets had to describe what they were seeing based on the non-technological vocabulary of their day.

So we need to understand these passages with that limitation looking for other clues, that they might be providing.

The first passage describing nuclear devastation is put forward by Breaking Israel News, and they looked at the similarities with an end times battle between Israel and nations referred to as Gog and Magog. We know little about these nations other than they were located in the north.

Breaking Israel News suggest the prophet’s description of the battle fits nuclear devastation.

First, the battle will be over in a matter of hours:

"14  And behold at eveningtide trouble; and before the morning he is not. This is the portion of them that spoil us, and the lot of them that rob us. "  Isaiah 17:14 KJV

Some translations describe it as “sudden terror” and by morning the armies are gone, no more.

Secondly the prophet Isaiah describes people fleeing the fortified cities and hiding in terror in caves.

unquote

26 | Three Bible passages that might warn of a nuclear war in the end times | OpentheWord.org

8 hours ago, blackbird said:

No, it doesn't use the words nuclear war.  We must remember at the time these prophecies were written several thousand years ago, men fought with spears and bows and arrows.

Three Bible passages that might warn of a nuclear war in the end times

"How would a prophet describe the after effects of a nuclear blast?

Basically, these prophets had to describe what they were seeing based on the non-technological vocabulary of their day.

So we need to understand these passages with that limitation looking for other clues, that they might be providing.

The first passage describing nuclear devastation is put forward by Breaking Israel News, and they looked at the similarities with an end times battle between Israel and nations referred to as Gog and Magog. We know little about these nations other than they were located in the north.

Breaking Israel News suggest the prophet’s description of the battle fits nuclear devastation.

First, the battle will be over in a matter of hours:

"14  And behold at eveningtide trouble; and before the morning he is not. This is the portion of them that spoil us, and the lot of them that rob us. "  Isaiah 17:14 KJV

Some translations describe it as “sudden terror” and by morning the armies are gone, no more.

Secondly the prophet Isaiah describes people fleeing the fortified cities and hiding in terror in caves.

unquote

26 | Three Bible passages that might warn of a nuclear war in the end times | OpentheWord.org

I interpret all that to mean climate change.  Maybe we are going extinct!!!

On 1/22/2023 at 7:29 AM, bcsapper said:

I interpret all that to mean climate change.  Maybe we are going extinct!!!

"Zechariah 14:12 - And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth."

That doesn't sound like climate change,  more like nuclear war.  

25 minutes ago, blackbird said:

"Zechariah 14:12 - And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth."

That doesn't sound like climate change,  more like nuclear war.  

I don't know, that heat dome a couple of year's ago was pretty hot. 

Anyway, wouldn't that just mean the Palestinians?  I never fought against Jerusalem.  I'm sure it's a splendid place!

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Anyway, wouldn't that just mean the Palestinians? 

No, I don't think that it refers specifically to them although they might be included.

One Bible commentary says:

"The nations which made war against Jerusalem shall be destroyed partly by the rotting away of their bodies even while they are alive (Zechariah 14:12), partly by mutual destruction(Zechariah 14:13), and partly by Judah's fighting against them (Zechariah 14:14). To express the idea of their utter destruction, all the different kinds of plagues and strokes by which nations can be destroyed are grouped together. In the first rank we have two extraordinary strokes inflicted upon them by God. Maggēphâh always denotes a plague or punishment sent by God (Exodus 9:14; Numbers 14:37; 1 Samuel 6:4)"

Zechariah 14:12 Commentaries: Now this will be the plague with which the LORD will strike all the peoples who have gone to war against Jerusalem; their flesh will rot while they stand on their feet, and their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongue will rot in their mouth. (biblehub.com)

These commentaries don't say it will be nuclear war.  They  say it could be destruction inflicted by God against the enemies which made war against Jerusalem.  Some verses in the Bible mention Gog and Magog will come down from the north to attack Israel in the future and they say this refers to Russia.   Israel has had many enemies throughout history who wish to attack and destroy it.  The Roman Empire destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D. and dispersed Israel around the world.  Jerusalem has been the most fought over city in the world I believe all through history up to the present.  Arab terrorists are killing people just today or yesterday in Jerusalem.   Some of the crusades were fought over control of Jerusalem between Muslims and the Christians that travelled there from Europe.  The British managed to gain control of Israel back in 1917.  There are many videos on youtube about the crusades, and various battles. One reason is because Israel is God's chosen people.  Much of world hates them perhaps because they sense this.  Hence the holocaust.

Edited by blackbird