HERE'S why gun control fails

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

Window dressing.

Your laws are pathetic. Federal background checks reject 2% of applicants. The federal data base depends on states and the military supplying the data and it is very spotty. Less than a third of state warrants are on the federal data base. If the feds don't answer a background check within 3 days, the gun can be sold anyway. Unless the data base flags a  buyer nothing happens. No real check is done, it can't be in 3 days.

In Canada, you have to take a course and pass a test before you can even apply to get a possession permit (PAL) and you need one to own any firearm. It takes and average of 45 days to be approved while they do a real check of your history. To get a possession permit for a restricted weapon (handgun etc) is more difficult and takes longer. You cannot get a permit to carry one. All restricted weapons are registered and you cannot sell any firearm to a person that doesn't have a valid PAL.  At any time, the police can come to your door and ask you to account for any weapons that you have bought and should be in your possession. If you sold a firearm you better have a bill of sale and the person you sold it to better have a valid PAL. I think that is very rare unless a gun has been used in a crime but it is  always a possibility.

Your firearms laws are largely window dressing.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/gun-background-check-nics-guide/

Yep. In the US all legally sold guns can flow unrestricted into the unregulated secondary market. We have to formally transfer ownership of a transportation machine, but you can give or sell a killing machine to anyone, no questions asked and no future accountability.  Hell, it's actually better if you *don't* ask questions. Genius system. Thanks NRA Republicans!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 9:35 PM, Hodad said:

Yep. In the US all legally sold guns can flow unrestricted into the unregulated secondary market. We have to formally transfer ownership of a transportation machine, but you can give or sell a killing machine to anyone, no questions asked and no future accountability.  Hell, it's actually better if you *don't* ask questions. Genius system. Thanks NRA Republicans!

Isn't this what's flooding Chicago with guns? Bought in a neighbouring state and driven to Chicago?

Illinois "could" set the state police to "actively" seek out those with locally unregistered guns and confiscate them. Even put the possessors in jail for a spell. But the DAs and judges would have to be on-board with the action and send the perps to jail without passing Go.

49 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Isn't this what's flooding Chicago with guns? Bought in a neighbouring state and driven to Chicago?

Illinois "could" set the state police to "actively" seek out those with locally unregistered guns and confiscate them. Even put the possessors in jail for a spell. But the DAs and judges would have to be on-board with the action and send the perps to jail without passing Go.

How do you seek out guns that have had no record of sale to a secondary buyer, search every home and car in the state? BTW, Americans aren’t required to register any guns.

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

How do you seek out guns that have had no record of sale to a secondary buyer, search every home and car in the state? BTW, Americans aren’t required to register any guns.

LOL...don't know many cops, do ya.

The police already know who's importing guns and selling them. They also already know who the potential buyers are in many cases. Mostly...and this may shock the hell out of you...Criminals.

Take the Gawd Damn handcuffs off the cops and set them to do their jobs. Then fire any DA who refuses to prosecute.

7 hours ago, Nationalist said:

LOL...don't know many cops, do ya.

The police already know who's importing guns and selling them. They also already know who the potential buyers are in many cases. Mostly...and this may shock the hell out of you...Criminals.

Take the Gawd Damn handcuffs off the cops and set them to do their jobs. Then fire any DA who refuses to prosecute.

My kid is a police sergeant.

Edited by Aristides

22 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Yep, at least what most people are talking about, think like more than 50% are from other states, mainly Indiana.

23 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Most likely. I mean, the data gets pretty thin because we don't track guns. Like any laws, gun laws within small jurisdictions, for which there is no barrier, aren't going to have much success outside of fueling grey and black market activity. 

I really don't think that chasing guns (through whatever means) is going to be effective. I firmly believe we need laws that address the points of transfer and end the unregulated secondary market. All guns start out as legal guns and there are standards and oversight of sales from a licensed dealer. We should have the same standards for every transfer in the secondary market. There should be a clear chain of custody, responsibility and accountability. I should not be able to abandon, give, trade or sell my gun without legally transferring the responsibility to a new custodian. And if a gun is used in a crime and has not been reported stolen, the custodian should face consequences. 

49 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Most likely. I mean, the data gets pretty thin because we don't track guns. Like any laws, gun laws within small jurisdictions, for which there is no barrier, aren't going to have much success outside of fueling grey and black market activity. 

I really don't think that chasing guns (through whatever means) is going to be effective. I firmly believe we need laws that address the points of transfer and end the unregulated secondary market. All guns start out as legal guns and there are standards and oversight of sales from a licensed dealer. We should have the same standards for every transfer in the secondary market. There should be a clear chain of custody, responsibility and accountability. I should not be able to abandon, give, trade or sell my gun without legally transferring the responsibility to a new custodian. And if a gun is used in a crime and has not been reported stolen, the custodian should face consequences. 

I would agree with that.

• Like 2

That is a lie and you know it is a lie. When it comes to criminal black markets ALMOST EVERYTHING is sold: Fentanyl, guns, stolen jewelry, etc.

Gun STORES are not selling "killing machines" to anyone illegally.

Grow a brain, you MORE on.

• Downvote 1

On 1/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, Aristides said:

Welcome to the black market. Gee! It's illegal to sell guns except in the manner the state requires. STOP THE PRESSES.

Oh, and it's illegal to sell Fentanyl. It's illegal to sell crack cocaine.

GEE! There's a lot of illegal selling going on. What makes that single digit IQ brain of your think that guns are any different? What surprises you about guns being STOLEN and then resold? What surprises you about maybe a legal gun owner who decides to sell his gun illegally? Are you REALLY SURPRISED that not everybody obeys the law?

Are you THAT stupid?

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I would agree with that.

Florida had the right idea: Create laws that target ONLY the criminal

10-20-LIFE (which Florida liberals HOWLED about when it passed.)

Bring a gun to a crime and it's TEN YEARS mandatory prison.

FIRE that gun during a crime and it's TWENTY YEARS mandatory prison

If you fire that gun and hit someone, even if it doesn't kill that someone, MANDATORY LIFE IMPRISONMENT.

Availability of guns is NOT the problem. In the strictest gun control regions if the country, (Chicago coming to mind) the gun laws are the strictest.

Going after LEGAL gun owners is not the solution.

The ONLY solution is toughening the penalties for the animals who commit crimes while using guns. Remember, a gun intimidates no one until it is pulled out and aimed during a robbery, (hence the term ARMED ROBBERY) A gun hurts no innocent ones until it is fired during the commission of a crime.

In Canada, ALL legally sold guns CAN flow unrestricted into the unregulated secondary market. Or are you stupid enough to think there is such a thing as a law abiding Canadian criminal?

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, reason10 said:

In Canada, ALL legally sold guns CAN flow unrestricted into the unregulated secondary market. Or are you stupid enough to think there is such a thing as a law abiding Canadian criminal?

Do a little homework so you don't keep making such ignorant posts.

Restricted weapons (Handguns etc) are registered to an owner who must have the appropriate PAL to own one. 

https://ottawafirearmsafety.ca/pal-application/

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/buying-and-selling-transferring-firearms

Edited by Aristides

On 1/28/2023 at 10:59 AM, Aristides said:

Do a little homework so you don't keep making such ignorant posts.

Restricted weapons (Handguns etc) are registered to an owner who must have the appropriate PAL to own one. 

https://ottawafirearmsafety.ca/pal-application/

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/buying-and-selling-transferring-firearms

Do a little homework so people won't think you have Downs Syndrome.

Name for us the LAW ABIDING CRIMINALS in Canada, those who will OBEY those oppressive gun grabber laws. And try not to blame the UNITED STATES for Canada's criminals and gun violence. If ALL Canadians obeyed the law, not ONE person would die from a shooting.

11 minutes ago, reason10 said:

Do a little homework so people won't think you have Downs Syndrome.

Name for us the LAW ABIDING CRIMINALS in Canada, those who will OBEY those oppressive gun grabber laws. And try not to blame the UNITED STATES for Canada's criminals and gun violence. If ALL Canadians obeyed the law, not ONE person would die from a shooting.

Of course there are criminals in Canada and they get most of their guns illegally from the US. If all Americans obeyed the law they wouldn't be selling guns to criminals so they can be smuggled across the border. 

Why aren't you capable of making a post without personal insults, it isn't like they do anything but make yourself come across as a child.

Of course there are criminals in Canada and they get most of their guns illegally from the US. If all Americans obeyed the law they wouldn't be selling guns to criminals so they can be smuggled across the border. 

That is a lie. You tell it over and over again and it is STILL a lie. You have given ZERO documentation and you left wingers are all LIARS.

Why aren't you capable of making a post without personal insults, it isn't like they do anything but make yourself come across as a child.

Nothing childish about putting a LIAR in his/her place.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, reason10 said:

That is a lie. You tell it over and over again and it is STILL a lie. You have given ZERO documentation and you left wingers are all LIARS.

Nothing childish about putting a LIAR in his/her place.

I posted government links that lay out what it takes to own and sell a gun in Canada. 

It's impossible to have any kind of discourse with someone who is intent on remaining ignorant and whose only response is a personal insult. 

You are a  child.

Edited by Aristides

On 1/27/2023 at 6:16 PM, Hodad said:

Yep. In the US all legally sold guns can flow unrestricted into the unregulated secondary market. We have to formally transfer ownership of a transportation machine, but you can give or sell a killing machine to anyone, no questions asked and no future accountability There for sure should be ways to track at least movement of firearms, and ideally things like handgun and rifle ammo too     .  Hell, it's actually better if you *don't* ask questions. Genius system. Thanks NRA Republicans!

Agree, uncontrolled secondary market is a huge issue. There are still thing that people might sell guns illegaly and report it as stolen though, but there are probably a way to work around this too.

11 hours ago, Aristides said:

I posted government links that lay out what it takes to own and sell a gun in Canada. 

It's impossible to have any kind of discourse with someone who is intent on remaining ignorant and whose only response is a personal insult. 

You are a  child.

You posted ZERO links showing ALL illegal guns in Canada come from the United States. You accused the United States of illegally selling Canadian criminals ALL the illegal guns.

I merely asked for proof of that lie.

2 hours ago, reason10 said:

You posted ZERO links showing ALL illegal guns in Canada come from the United States. You accused the United States of illegally selling Canadian criminals ALL the illegal guns.

I merely asked for proof of that lie.

I never said all guns come from the US, just the majority of illegal guns and showed you why. I've also provided links to US sources that describe what a problem the flow of guns from the US is for both Canada and Mexico. Everyone in Canada knows it including law enforcement. Go back to your Florida bunker child, you know nothing about my country.

Edited by Aristides

8 hours ago, Kornak said:

Agree, uncontrolled secondary market is a huge issue. There are still thing that people might sell guns illegaly and report it as stolen though, but there are probably a way to work around this too.

Right. If a person is habitually "losing" guns to theft they clearly aren't a responsible gun owner. Sort of like Walmart returns, you can return whatever you want, but they track returns to see if people are abusing. And the record gives law enforcement a chance to investigate. 

15 minutes ago, Hodad said:

Right. If a person is habitually "losing" guns to theft they clearly aren't a responsible gun owner. Sort of like Walmart returns, you can return whatever you want, but they track returns to see if people are abusing. And the record gives law enforcement a chance to investigate. 

I Canada that would probably get you charged with careless or improper storage of a firearm.

https://www.criminallawyervancouver.com/blog/careless-improper-storage-firearms-canada/

When storing non-restricted firearms, the item must be:

• Unloaded; and
  • Stored away from readily accessible ammunition; and
  • Rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device or the removal of the bolt/bolt-carrier; or
  • Stored in a place that is securely locked

When storing restricted firearms, the item must be:

• Unloaded; and
  • Stored away from readily accessible ammunition; and
  • Rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device and stored in a place that is securely locked; or
  • Stored in a securely locked vault, safe or room that has been specifically constructed or modified for the secure storage of restricted firearms

On 1/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, Aristides said:

In some states, gun registration is mandatory. And I'm sure the CRIMINALS who stole their guns will register them anyway, huh?

I have one of These with a cut down sporting stock which I inherited from my father. A million of them were made  for the British during WW1 because they thought they might run short of Lee Enfield's but they didn't so the Remington's were never used at the front. The British ones were also .303 caliber so they could use the same ammunition as the Enfield. I don't know which this one is but always meant to find out. I had it stored in the attic with the bolt removed and when we moved I couldn't find the bolt. I think it might have been in a drawer of a night stand I gave to goodwill. Now I have a boltless rife to get rid of.

37 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I never said all guns come from the US, just the majority of illegal guns and showed you why. I've also provided links to US sources that describe what a problem the flow of guns from the US is for both Canada and Mexico. Everyone in Canada knows it including law enforcement. Go back to your Florida bunker child, you know nothing about my country.

Your statement:

In the US all legally sold guns can flow unrestricted into the unregulated secondary market. We have to formally transfer ownership of a transportation machine, but you can give or sell a killing machine to anyone, no questions asked and no future accountability. 

You can't even keep your lies straight, scumbag.

Now you are saying EVERYBODY in Canada knows it? Where's your proof? Show us some documentation.

I've already caught you in a LIE, bee itch.