Advice to Poilievre: Canada is a good country, Appeal to higher angels

25 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I asked a question, does he hold Justins mistakes as long as he does PP famous bitcoin gaff...I'm not saying you can't read, but i think you were a little quick off the starting line on this one.

PP's bitcoin gaffe just makes him look stupid and demonstrates poor judgement.  We already have a guy we can rely on for that, right?  

Justin's mistakes are ever-present and unforgettable.  I'll never forget his embarrassing us in India.  I'll never forget him getting caught on camera making fun of the world's most powerful country's leader, who happens to be our next door neighbor.  I'll never forget the Emergencies Act, or how he predictably polarized the country just as bad as did his father.  

That being said, he hasn't promoted any truly retarded and utterly self-destructive ideas or theories yet, like Pierre has. Where's he's really shit the bed is with our public finances, which I'm more concerned about than almost anything.  The exception to that, of course, is democracy itself.  I am more concerned with Canada not falling into the populist abyss like the Americans, and avoiding a race to the bottom and the normalization of the conspiracy circus.  We can cut services and/or tax our way out of debt.  We can't do the same with dysfunctional pageantry and hysterical culture wars like that which grips the US House.  

12 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

What we need is change, what that change looks like i don't know, new liberal leadership, or conservative as PM... change is coming soon...   

We need positive change.  Change for the sake of change is stupid.  

Poilievre will have achieved much better results for Canada in one year than Trudeau did in 7 years of hemorrhaging money and national pride and sucking up to leftist dingbats if he does what he announced:

-scrap the carbon tax

-defund the CBC

-ban caucus members from participating in the WEF and other Dr. No organizations

-de-regulate the energy sector

24 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I'll never forget his embarrassing us in India.  I'll never forget him getting caught on camera making fun of the world's most powerful country's leader, who happens to be our next door neighbor.  I'll never forget the Emergencies Act, or how he predictably polarized the country just as bad as did his father.  

That’s funny…. I think he’s a terrible PM, but for completely different reasons.  I think the “embarrassing moment” gaffes are forgettable and don’t really have an impact.    And the Emergencies Act was easily justified.  

A lack of action in climate change, his Cabinet Ministers not being held accountable, and his broken promise on electoral reform have far more negative impact than some of the minor gaffes you list.  

But, sadly, my list of faults still makes him more  desirable than PP and his silly slogans, and pure stupidity supporting the anti-vaxxers and promoting the Bitcoin scam as a viable investment.  

1 minute ago, TreeBeard said:

A lack of action in climate change, his Cabinet Ministers not being held accountable, and his broken promise on electoral reform have far more negative impact than some of the minor gaffes you list.  

Hi carousel of cabinet ministers is his version of accountability.  Eventually the buck stops at him.  The culture of entitlement he's promoted and enabled is what leads to crappy cabinet ministership.  

9 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

That’s funny…. I think he’s a terrible PM, but for completely different reasons.  I think the “embarrassing moment” gaffes are forgettable and don’t really have an impact.    And the Emergencies Act was easily justified.  

But, sadly, my list of faults still makes him more  desirable than PP and his silly slogans, and pure stupidity supporting the anti-vaxxers and promoting the Bitcoin scam as a viable investment.  

Are you a rational thinking human?  The Emergencies Act was justified?  All I need to know about your views.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Just to be clear, the government did try to get electoral reform but it was blocked by the NDP. 

Uhm, no. It tried to get a type of electoral reform which would benefit themselves. And that was absolutely not the type Canadians wanted. It couldn't persuade the other parties OR Canadians to go for it.

5 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Let me give you a drinker's analogy: 

I don't dispute that Climate Change happened before. 

The issue is with the speed of the which it changes at. 

There is a bottle of whisky in front of you: ??

a) If you drink it slowly during the day, things won't get wrong inside the body. 

b) If you drink very fast, and the body can not withstand the rate of speed at which you are drinking it, your body will collapse. 

---> But you probably disagree about the speed of change too, or I am wrong? Is the climate changing at a faster speed than before or not? What is your view on that one? 

I don’t think there’s much conclusive evidence about the level of human impact in terms of how much human made climate change is accelerating or decelerating naturally occurring climate change patterns, certainly not enough evidence to make people pay more for the necessities of life to pay for “climate action” that may make no quantifiable difference to climate change.

Having said that I don’t think our current climate policies will make any measurable difference to climate change, I think it’s a good precaution to make changes to the building code and energy policies that will reduce emissions over time without adding to the cost of living for consumers.

Edited by Zeitgeist

20 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

A lack of action in climate change,

Nothing Canada does will have ANY impact on climate change. None. Zip. And I'm not about to beggar our economy while all the big emitters keep building coal plants. Screw them. Let them fry. They're the ones who are going to suffer in the future anyway.

I'll go for building nuclear plants, for putting in place flood controls and irrigation systems and better building codes. That's it. Not one dime to climate change or cutting emissions (which is done by increasing the cost of energy and thus damaging our economy) until everyone is on board with cutting their own emissions.

And spare me the nonsense about us serving as such a noble example the Chinas and Indias of the world will start closing down their coal plants. There are lots better examples than us in Europe and have been for a long time. And they're not inspiring anyone but Greta.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Just to be clear, the government did try to get electoral reform but it was blocked by the NDP. 

Disagree.  The Libs would accept no compromise, and abandoned it as quickly as they promised it.  If they were serious about it, they would still be attempting to implement it.  There was no reason to throw out the idea completely just because it couldn’t be implemented immediately.  That makes no sense.  

What they did do is make the reform as unpalatable as possible and then abandoned it as quickly as possible under the guise of “the NDP’s made us abandon our principles”.  

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

Nothing Canada does will have ANY impact on climate change. None. Zip. And I'm not about to beggar our economy while all the big emitters keep building coal plants. Screw them. Let them fry. They're the ones who are going to suffer in the future anyway.

I'll go for building nuclear plants, for putting in place flood controls and irrigation systems and better building codes. That's it. Not one dime to climate change or cutting emissions (which is done by increasing the cost of energy and thus damaging our economy) until everyone is on board with cutting their own emissions.

And spare me the nonsense about us serving as such a noble example the Chinas and Indias of the world will start closing down their coal plants. There are lots better examples than us in Europe and have been for a long time. And they're not inspiring anyone but Greta.

Canada will benefit from climate change as northern sea trade expands through an ice-free Northwest Passage. There are things we can do cheaply to reduce climate change: tree-planting, painting sun-facing surfaces white, integrating solar, deep-water cooling, and geothermal into the building codes, giving tax breaks for improved energy efficient furnaces, weather stripping, and insulation.

Cutting energy use cuts costs, an incentive of its own. More hydro and nuclear over time, where cost effective, helps. Much can be done locally through smart urban planning to reduce commutes and make communities more liveable and self-sufficient.  Having reliable local food supply is also important.  None of this requires carbon taxes or restrictions on our freedom of movement. I’m suspicious of any attempts to reduce our rights and add costs in the name of fighting a “crisis.”

Pollution is at least as much of a threat as climate change, and it’s clear that many activists haven’t thought through the environmental impacts of mining rare-earth metals and lithium or the life cycles of batteries.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Poilievre made some good points about health care today. I would suggest more of this and less, actually zero, on Bitcoin and the Convoy. 

"Health care, after seven years of Trudeau, is worse than ever," Poilievre said. "I understand why premiers are frustrated with the damage he's caused."

Poilievre said a government led by him would pursue three health-care priorities: shorter wait times, more doctors and nurses and "faster approvals for new cutting-edge treatments and medication."

He also vowed to work with the provinces to fast-track foreign-trained health professionals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-health-care-deal-1.6715534

Pierre might make a bit of headway if he stressed the failed bail and parole system and Trudeau's reluctance to fix it.

All Premiers signed a letter to Trudeau demanding action on bail reform after the killing of the OPP officer after a dangerous offender was released on bail.  This is what Trudeau said about it.

Trudeau told reporters in Saskatoon today that he understands "there's a real concern out there" and "challenges around impacts, particularly on Indigenous or minority groups" have to be taken into account."

Now does anyone really think he gets it?  It was an indigenous guy who stabbed twelve people to death on the Cree Nation in Saskatchewan last September and an indigenous guy who allegedly shot the OPP officer in Ontario in December.   One was released on parole and the other released on bail.

Trudeau still has the gall to mention "challenges around impacts, particularly on indigenous or minority groups".  This is just another reason why he has to go.  The system is completely dysfunctional. 

Don't hold your breath that he will do anything about the disastrous bail and parole system that is costing innocent first responders their lives.

Edited by blackbird

15 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Pierre might make a bit of headway if he stressed the failed bail and parole system and Trudeau's reluctance to fix it.

All Premiers signed a letter to Trudeau demanding action on bail reform after the killing of the OPP officer after a dangerous offender was released on bail.  This is what Trudeau said about it.

Trudeau told reporters in Saskatoon today that he understands "there's a real concern out there" and "challenges around impacts, particularly on Indigenous or minority groups" have to be taken into account."

Now does anyone really think he gets it?  It was an indigenous guy who stabbed twelve people to death on the Cree Nation in Saskatchewan last September and an indigenous guy who allegedly shot the OPP officer in Ontario in December.   One was released on parole and the other released on bail.

Trudeau still has the gall to mention "challenges around impacts, particularly on indigenous or minority groups".  This is just another reason why he has to go.  The system is completely dysfunctional. 

Don't hold your breath that he will do anything about the disastrous bail and parole system that is costing innocent first responders their lives.

The Liberals have emphasized that there are different qualities of humans.  They think Indigenous are infants who need to be taken care of by the state and that they can’t handle fair treatment under the law.  They apply the same logic to black people.  I guess the thinking is that as long as people can be convinced that certain groups can’t earn their own money and think for themselves they can be controlled and manipulated to vote Liberal.  

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada will benefit from climate change as northern sea trade expands through an ice-free Northwest Passage. There are things we can do cheaply to reduce climate change: tree-planting, painting sun-facing surfaces white, integrating solar, deep-water cooling, and geothermal into the building codes, giving tax breaks for improved energy efficient furnaces, weather stripping, and insulation.

Cutting energy use cuts costs, an incentive of its own. More hydro and nuclear over time, where cost effective, helps. Much can be done locally through smart urban planning to reduce commutes and make communities more liveable and self-sufficient.  Having reliable local food supply is also important.  None of this requires carbon taxes or restrictions on our freedom of movement. I’m suspicious of any attempts to reduce our rights in the name of fighting a “crisis.”

Pollution is at least as much of a threat as climate change, and it’s clear that many activists haven’t thought through the environmental impacts of mining rare-earth metals and lithium or the life cycles of batteries.  

I have little or no problem with all that. But that's not what we're doing. We're simply imposing ever increasing costs on energy use. Which is damaging our economy and driving manufacturing to other countries which are building coal plants to make their energy cheaper.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Poilievr

"Health care, after seven years of Trudeau, is worse than ever," Poilievre said. "I understand why premiers are frustrated with the damage he's caused."

Poilievre said a government led by him would pursue three health-care priorities: shorter wait times, more doctors and nurses and "faster approvals for new cutting-edge treatments and medication."

He also vowed to work with the provinces to fast-track foreign-trained health professionals.

Great. How? Let's hear the details. Without some details it's just mouth noises. And no one is going to take him seriously on it.

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

That being said, he hasn't promoted any truly retarded and utterly self-destructive ideas or theories yet, like Pierre has.

Disagree. Trudeau gleefully jumped aboard the culture wars bandwagon and has been doing his level best to use them to his political advantage, often imposing policies he has to have been told are useless just to appeal to the progressive activist set and to infuriate the right. His government has put equity, diversity and inclusion at the top of every list of tasks handed to cabinet and gone out of its way to virtue signal and divide Canadians by placing merit on the back burner behind membership in favoured identity groups. He is not only dividing Canadians by race, gender and ethnicity but by geographical region. He is, imo, the most divisive PM in history, and is doing it deliberately, for no reason but crass politics.

I'm not really even certain he gives a damn about the diversity, equity and anti-racism crap so much as has seized on it to grab votes from the NDP and attack the Tories. But it's dangerous and destructive to society, and he doesn't care.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Great. How? Let's hear the details. Without some details it's just mouth noises. And no one is going to take him seriously on it.

I’m not sure a text is available yet. He proposed a more individualized system of assessing IMGs, i.e. more on their personal performance and less on their country of origin which is exactly what should happen. This also suggests a more uniform approach to assessment rather than the 13 systems we have at the moment. He said that more funds would be available to upskill these doctors, a far cheaper resource than putting students through med school here. Lastly, the process of assessment would be radically shortened and speeded up instead of taking months to years as it currently does. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

41 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

No. I just know math. I don't need to be an expert in science or climatology to understand fairly basic math.

Yet, you claim to know more than climatologists do when they talk about what we need to do for solutions.

“Nothing can be done” says NO expert in the field.  

38 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Disagree. Trudeau gleefully jumped aboard the culture wars bandwagon and has been doing his level best to use them to his political advantage, often imposing policies he has to have been told are useless just to appeal to the progressive activist set and to infuriate the right.

Perhaps, but on most of them he'll turn out on the right side of history.  He and his type take it too far, and sometimes to the point of absurdity, but those are the instances we should be complaining about, rather than railing generally about wokeness etc.  You're free to disagree, but much (definitely not all) of what Trudeau has embraced culturally is coming regardless.  Whether that's now or whether that's after Boomers age out is going to be the main question.  Young folk have different priorities and don't care about these things nearly as much. 

Either way, these are fairly vague complaints, and I struggle to think of any that match up to promoting conspiracy theories that deliberately undermine public trust in vital institutions for the sake of a few angry votes.  

• Like 2