The Florida STOP WOKE ACT

This is what Florida's STOP WOKE ACT says.

https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/2167/stop-w-o-k-e-act-florida

Law prohibits teaching certain concepts related to race

The prohibited teachings were that: 

1.   Members of one race, color, national origin, or sex are morally superior to members of another race, color, national origin, or sex. 
  2. A person by virtue of his or her race, color, national origin, or sex is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously. 
  3. A person’s moral character or status as either privileged or oppressed is necessarily determined by his or her race, color, national origin, or sex. 
  4. Members of one race, color, national origin, or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat others without respect to race, color, national origin, or sex. 
  5. A person, by virtue of his or her race, color, national origin, or sex bears responsibility for, or should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment because of actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, color, national origin, or sex. 
  6. A person, by virtue of his or her race, color, national origin, or sex should be discriminated against or received adverse treatment to achieve diversity, equity, or inclusion. 
  7. A person, by virtue of his or her race, color, sex, or national origin, bears personal responsibility for and must feel guilt, anguish or other forms of psychological distress because of actions, in which the person played no part, committed in the past by other members of the same race, color, national origin, or sec. 
  8. Such virtues as merit, excellence, hard work, fairness, neutrality, objectivity, and racial colorblindedness are racist or sexist, or were created by members of a particular race, color, national origin, or sex to oppress members of another race, color, national origin, or sex.

This guy could have written that act:

Martin-Luther-King-Jr.-color.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

What is stupid about it?  Its super anti-racist and anti identity politics.  Conservatives sound like MLK now.

I said above: a big nothing.  Scaring people into thinking there's a big problem, then offering a solution to the non problem, where existing systems would address any incidents that needed to be addressed.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

I said above: a big nothing.  Scaring people into thinking there's a big problem, then offering a solution to the non problem, where existing systems would address any incidents that needed to be addressed.

ROFLMAO!

Wha's a matter Mike?

Did the big bad governor throw a wrench into your need for warped reality?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What a big nothing.

DeSantis is a disgrace, and the US has declined into a giant freedom LARP.  

So you think schools should be teaching that

•   Members of one race, color, national origin, or sex are morally superior to members of another race, color, national origin, or sex. 
  • A person by virtue of his or her race, color, national origin, or sex is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously. 
  • A person’s moral character or status as either privileged or oppressed is necessarily determined by his or her race, color, national origin, or sex. 
  • Members of one race, color, national origin, or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat others without respect to race, color, national origin, or sex. 
  • A person, by virtue of his or her race, color, national origin, or sex bears responsibility for, or should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment because of actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, color, national origin, or sex. 

Those items ARE CRT. It has been proven that those RACIST ideas are being taught in blue state K-12 public schools.

Do you AGREE with those racist ideas? Is a person's race, color, national origin or sex makes him/her superior to members of another race, color, national origin or sex?

This Florida law is a giant step toward maintaining Florida's public schools as being the best in the country. And Governor DeSantis is the best and most popular governor in the country.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Disagree.

I think the issue with the law is free speech implications at post secondary level.  But I also think some of those people are racist.  It's odd to me that part of the left is so racist.  Some people believe it's OK to be racist and sexist if it's against whites and men.  This is odd.  It's also odd to be made to feel bad for speaking out against that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

So you don't think that CRT (which is basically INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM) is a problem?

Were you this outraged when the Federal Government decided to OVERTURN THE FIRST AMENDMENT and ban actual PRAYER in public schools?

Talk about a BIG NOTHING!!!

How many people's lives were ruined by watching others PRAY?

7 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Disagree.

I think the issue with the law is free speech implications at post secondary level.  But I also think some of those people are racist.  It's odd to me that part of the left is so racist.  Some people believe it's OK to be racist and sexist if it's against whites and men.  This is odd.  It's also odd to be made to feel bad for speaking out against that.

One thing I learned from all these years as a substitute teacher in three Florida counties: Each school might as well be a separate country, in the way it operates. The schools don't even use the same textbooks. Sometimes the schools get a directive from Tallahassee. Sometimes they get a directive from the Department of Education in the Beltway. (Those are times when my phone rings off the hook because teachers are yanked out of classes for more meetings and "training" for whatever Woke bullschitt is mandate from the Beltway.

It seems like the most ridiculous mandates come from Washington, (which is why most Florida teachers believe the DOE should be shut down and its funding block granted to the states.)

As far as free speech goes, the Madeline Murray O'Hare faction pretty much put that concept to rest by overturning the FIRST AMENDMENT and banning ALL CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED PRAYER in public schools.

Keeping teachers from teaching racist crap? Hardly the same.

39 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Disagree.

You want to legislate against racism ?  Ok... and why is there an issue then ?  

I don't doubt people want to make it illegal for police to shoot black people - is that an issue ?  

Do you want to pass laws to stop "feeling bad" ?

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

You want to legislate against racism ?  Ok... and why is there an issue then ?  

I don't doubt people want to make it illegal for police to shoot black people - is that an issue ?  

Do you want to pass laws to stop "feeling bad" ?

If there was legislation against racism, it would have to start by outlawing the Democrat party entirely.

Does the race of the cop who shoots a black person relevant? What if it's a black cop who is just defending his life against a black criminal who is shooting at him? Or do you think black people should be allowed to shoot cops without worrying about them shooting back?

The Florida act just stops this RACISM from being taught in the schools. The government of Florida CERTAINLY has the right and the power to do that.

It's not necessarily legislation against racism. And again, that would mean outlawing the Democrat Party. It's legislation that regulates PUBLIC EDUCATION which is a perfectly legitimate function of government.

California actually has some school districts that have outlawed certain kinds of math because they believe it is racist. That's another way of them saying they believe blacks are too stupid and inferior to handle certain kinds of math.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jun/6/is-mathematics-racist-california-could-blaze-pathw/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-racism-math-framework

https://thepostmillennial.com/californias-new-educational-guidelines-say-math-is-racist

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/08/25/research-cited-to-show-california-math-is-racist-often-misrepresented/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-california-2-2-4-may-be-thought-racist-11621876555

Before you wag your fingers at the State of Florida (which has the best schools in the country) you might want to turn that critical eye to the TRULY racist states in the country (all of which are blue.)

39 minutes ago, reason10 said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-california-2-2-4-may-be-thought-racist-11621876555

Before you wag your fingers at the State of Florida (which has the best schools in the country) you might want to turn that critical eye to the TRULY racist states in the country (all of which are blue.)

The WSJ is the only legitimate source you posted - the others are scare-mongering angertainment sources.  I looked into the situation they describe, in CA, elsewhere because WSJ is paywalled.

Seems like there are a few topics here, and from what I see none of them would have been touched by the Florida legislation we're talking about.  There would still be curriculum changes to math, changes to approach and also structural changes to advanced classes and so on.

So my point stands - this is a big nothing.  

I thank you, though, for posting at least one legitimate site with legitimate criticisms of these changes.  Please understand that I am no friend to the social tinkerers who try to change education and indeed most teachers I speak to feel that way as well.  As the article states - politics doesn't belong in the classroom.  Florida and California should both go to school on that one.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The WSJ is the only legitimate source you posted - the others are scare-mongering angertainment sources.  I looked into the situation they describe, in CA, elsewhere because WSJ is paywalled.

Seems like there are a few topics here, and from what I see none of them would have been touched by the Florida legislation we're talking about.  There would still be curriculum changes to math, changes to approach and also structural changes to advanced classes and so on.

So my point stands - this is a big nothing.  

I thank you, though, for posting at least one legitimate site with legitimate criticisms of these changes.  Please understand that I am no friend to the social tinkerers who try to change education and indeed most teachers I speak to feel that way as well.  As the article states - politics doesn't belong in the classroom.  Florida and California should both go to school on that one.

Cheers.

ALL the sources are legitimate. The fact that they are non-Woke does not disqualify them from being accurate. California DID THIS. And the only ANGERTAINMENT sources would be CNN,  MSNBC, NBC, WaPo, THE VIEW, and other goose stepping rags. I didn't include them because I only cite RELIABLE sources of truth.

Governor DeSantis's law TAKES POLITICS OUT OF THE CLASSROOM. CRT IS POLITICS. And it is a racist LIE. We might as well be reading KKK or BLM literature to the kids.

Florida schools do not have time for this nonsense. We have the highest standards in the country and there is barely enough time to get the legitimate material to the students. Florida schools teach kids how to read, write, do math, history, geography, and some civics. My RELIABLE sources show that California education is NOTHING BUT POLITICS.

1 hour ago, reason10 said:

1. ALL the sources are legitimate. The fact that they are non-Woke does not disqualify them from being accurate.

2. Governor DeSantis's law TAKES POLITICS OUT OF THE CLASSROOM. CRT IS POLITICS. And it is a racist LIE. We might as well be reading KKK or BLM literature to the kids.

3. Florida schools do not have time for this nonsense.

1. I refer to the mostly recent online magazines that have not developed into real journalistic enterprises, but have remained opinion beacons.  You might *like them but I don't accept them.

2.  It's a pure political law that wastes resources and attention on something that is at BEST not a significant problem and at worst a made-up paper tiger.

3.  I would say the electorate doesn't have time for it.  Schools should be able to continue to operate without being made into a bogeyman.

My main point, again, which I don't think you refuted: 
Seems like there are a few topics here, and from what I see none of them would have been touched by the Florida legislation we're talking about. 

I'll give you a chance to respond but I don't want to waste post after post trying to get blood from a stone.

1. I refer to the mostly recent online magazines that have not developed into real journalistic enterprises, but have remained opinion beacons.  You might *like them but I don't accept them.

There is more journalism from my sources than CNN, MSNBC, The View, or any other biased left wing rags. They are nothing but propaganda rags.

2.  It's a pure political law that wastes resources and attention on something that is at BEST not a significant problem and at worst a made-up paper tiger.

California and other eggheaded blue states have proven it is NOT a made up paper tiger. Kids ARE being taught these dangerous RACIST lies in public schools. And the Governor of Florida, along with our legislature has decided that Florida taxpayers are not going to pay to teach kids to hate America and hate white people. Governors and legislatures have put out much WORSE and more useless paper in the past.

3.  I would say the electorate doesn't have time for it.  Schools should be able to continue to operate without being made into a bogeyman.

Actually, the concept of insuring that Florida schools are the top in the country (which they are) is certainly a legitimate job for elected officials. Public schools have to operate according to GOVERNMENT mandates in all 50 states. This just happens to be an instance where the government is telling the schools NOT to teach racism. If government can overturn the FIRST AMENDMENT and outlaw prayer in schools, (which I'm sure you have no problem with) it can certainly outlaw any RACIST crap being taught.

My main point, again, which I don't think you refuted: 
Seems like there are a few topics here, and from what I see none of them would have been touched by the Florida legislation we're talking about. 

I'll give you a chance to respond but I don't want to waste post after post trying to get blood from a stone.

If you define my maintaining the values that made America great (rejecting RACISM in all its forms) is getting blood from a stone, I'm currently running a rock quarry blood bank here.

Bottom line CRT IS dangerous. It is racist. It has no place in ANY public schools in ANY state. It is no different than just teaching KKK or BLM or Nazi Party propaganda to the kids. Same thing. And Florida's brilliant governor is looking out for this state in a way that the goose stepping Governor of California doesn't seem to want to be bothered by.

Edited by reason10

13 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

What is stupid about it?  Its super anti-racist and anti identity politics.  Conservatives sound like MLK now.

Conservatives have ALWAYS sounded like MLK. In fact MLK was a Republican.

A little bit of history: It was uber liberal Bobby Kennedy who ordered the wiretaps on Dr. King's phone during that time period. The Democrats have always been the party of racist.

Republicans?  Ask Rosa Parks.

Cu06u_oWIAAEO-k.jpg

On 1/10/2023 at 1:40 PM, reason10 said:

Conservatives have ALWAYS sounded like MLK. In fact MLK was a Republican.

A little bit of history: It was uber liberal Bobby Kennedy who ordered the wiretaps on Dr. King's phone during that time period. The Democrats have always been the party of racist.

Republicans?  Ask Rosa Parks.

Cu06u_oWIAAEO-k.jpg

Well, that's a helluva lie for MLK day. Of course Rosa Parks didn't support Republicans in this era. WTF would a voting rights and Black rights activist support the party that was and is actively opposed to everything she stood for? 

It's a well known fact that she worked for Rep. Conyers for over 20 years.

And for that matter, Trump wasn't a Republican in 1986 either, just a gadfly desperate for attention.

Rosa Parks wasn't Trump's buddy and she sure as hell wasn't a political supporter. Trump just happened to be honored along with a ton of other people as descendants of "immigrants." Oy... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hodad said:

Well, that's a helluva lie for MLK day. Of course Rosa Parks didn't support Republicans in this era. WTF would a voting rights and Black rights activist support the party that was and is actively opposed to everything she stood for? 

It's a well known fact that she worked for Rep. Conyers for over 20 years.

And for that matter, Trump wasn't a Republican in 1986 either, just a gadfly desperate for attention.

Rosa Parks wasn't Trump's buddy and she sure as hell wasn't a political supporter. Trump just happened to be honored along with a ton of other people as descendants of "immigrants." Oy... 

The Republicans have NEVER opposed civil rights for blacks.  Perhaps you should open a history book, maybe to that portion of the 19 Century when Republicans FOUGHT A GODDDDAM CIVIL WAR to free black slaves and then managed to get them the right to attend school and to vote. It was the Democrats who created the Jim Crow laws, which the Republicans overturned, legislatively.

Your wonderful liberal icon Bobby Kennedy, as attorney general, was the goon who ordered wiretaps on Dr. King's phone, in an effort for the government to discredit this uppity black and dig up dirt on a marital affair he was having.

That's YOUR left wing side of the aisle. And the Democrats have NOT changed since then. They are STILL the racist, bigot sector of America.

Bottom line, Trump and Rosa Parks, two CONSERVATIVES who were honored for their work.

Trump was only a Democrat when it came to buying off those goose steppers so they would leave his businesses alone. That made him kind of a bush league version of George Soros.

When it came time for Trump to save the country from the policies of Obama, he chose to do it as a Republican. And he DID save the country from Obama's policies.

Rosa Parks attended civil rights meetings organized by communists.

Even if center left and sent her right pretend care about civil rights, they are opportunists for political reasons. You can count on hard left zealots campaign hard, since they are idealists.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123771194

38 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Rosa Parks attended civil rights meetings organized by communists.

Even if center left and sent her right pretend care about civil rights, they are opportunists for political reasons. You can count on hard left zealots campaign hard, since they are idealists.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123771194

NPR? And you complain about FoxNews?

Idealistic left wing zealots definitely campaigned hard. They gave us SLAVERY, the HOLOCAUST, 9-11, and generally the WORST economies in history. Whether the left wing hero was Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Obama, KKKlinton, the results were ALL the same: Anti Freedom, Anti Market Capitalism, and general genocide.

Wanna know the origin of THIS?

th?id=OIP.Cd_FJMWap4T91rklT2p-RAHaFF&pid

Look no further than the woman Hillary admired more than anyone.

th?id=OIP.Elm91IbXTlHsPUcXfvbZdwHaFQ&pid

Meanwhile, free market capitalists were busy trading with each other and building a world economy and raising the standard of living for everyone. And you left wingers HATE them for doing that.

Edited by reason10