Canadian taxpayers are being scammed by the GG, Rideau Hall, and the federal government

Opinion: More needs to be done to contain GG’s extravagance (msn.com)

The federal government is scamming Canadians.  This is like the 18th century in France before the French Revolution when the Royalty and privileged lived in luxury and the monarch said about the peasants "let them eat cake".

While many Canadians are struggling with inflation, the high cost of groceries, the outrageous cost of rent and homes, gas, and everything else, certain people in elite positions in government are abusing the system.  

• Like 2

First, the Queen of France never said that.

The Governor General is not responsible for the expenses incurred in the performance of her duties as the representative of the King. Show us one shred of evidence of Her Excellency personally abusing the system.

And not only as the representative of the King, but for the person she is, she deserves your respect.

Inflation is world wide, though Canada is doing better than most countries. The inflation is caused by a combination of Covid-19, and Russian President Putin's unprovoked attack on Ukraine.

Edited by Queenmandy85

47 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The Governor General is not responsible for the expenses incurred in the performance of her duties as the representative of the King. Show us one shred of evidence of Her Excellency personally abusing the system.

How is the governor general not responsible for associated expenses?  

The question isn't whether she's personally responsible for every dollar spent by her office, but rather how much money is spent for her almost purely symbolic office.  

There's a real and present argument that her position and ties to the monarchy aren't even necessary, so spending $35 million a year for her to wave and smile at people at home and abroad, and rubber stamp things isn't something everyone needs to appreciate.  

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Inflation is world wide, though Canada is doing better than most countries. The inflation is caused by a combination of Covid-19, and Russian President Putin's unprovoked attack on Ukraine.

The issue is we are being scammed as the subject says.  Inflation is just making things worse for the ordinary people who are struggling to make ends meet.  You are trying to divert the subject to inflation and the Ukraine.  That is no excuse for the GG office and the federal government scamming taxpayers for millions of dollars.  I respect the office but not the scamming going on.  Did you hear about the insane costs for the air trip to the middle east by the GG and her entourage?

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

And not only as the representative of the King, but for the person she is, she deserves your respect.

In case you didn't know it, the GG are extremely highly paid.   

"The current salary is $425,000 and there is a generous pension. Until 2001, Governors-General did not pay income tax on their salary; this was changed after the Queen agreed to pay tax."

They get paid this $425,000 per year plus when they leave the position after five years, they get a large annual salary plus they can claim expenses for the rest of their life.

I don't see what they do as justifying that kind of money.  And why should they get that huge pensions and expenses after leaving office?

You really think going around shaking hands with CAF members or school children, etc. is worth $425,000 a year.  Or signing new government legislation into law?   That must be hard job.

Even prime minsters don't get paid that much money.  Who gets a pension like that after five years in the job?   Nobody.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

I don't think scamming is the right word.  I think abusing is better.  Scamming means something specific.  What's happening at Rideau Hall is better described as entitlement and being out of touch.  

Good point.  I'll agree with that.  Abuse of taxpayers.

2 hours ago, Moonbox said:

How is the governor general not responsible for associated expenses?  

The question isn't whether she's personally responsible for every dollar spent by her office, but rather how much money is spent for her almost purely symbolic office.  

There's a real and present argument that her position and ties to the monarchy aren't even necessary, so spending $35 million a year for her to wave and smile at people at home and abroad, and rubber stamp things isn't something everyone needs to appreciate.  

OTOH I think there's an argument to be made that her office shouldn't be symbolic so that what the title holder does should match the title.

I'd happily see $35 million being spent on someone holding our government to better account.

The article says "Canada sent 276 delegates to COP26 in Glasgow in November 2021 — more delegates than any other G7 country, including the host United Kingdom."

What is it with Trudeau and Liberals that they have to throw that kind of money around?  What on earth does Canada need to send 276 delegates to a COP conference for, more than any other country?  This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Well it just so happened the last federal election was on Sept. 21, 2021.  That means they sent these 276 delegates to COP26 just after the election, probably thinking by the time of the next election, Canadians will have forgotten about it.  Quite possible.  The best time to squander taxpayer money is right after an election and hope it will be forgotten in the next few years.

Edited by blackbird

19 minutes ago, eyeball said:

OTOH I think there's an argument to be made that her office shouldn't be symbolic so that what the title holder does should match the title.

I'd happily see $35 million being spent on someone holding our government to better account.

Not one person, and certainly not a political appointee.  

If we did not have a Governor General, we would have to replace the office with something else. As it is, the GG is paid the same as the President of the US and when the previous President flew on Air Force One, I doubt it was cheaper.

If you have a cut rate Head of State, you will have a cut rate country. 

We could eliminate the GG and just have direct rule, but it would create a heavy burden for the King.

3 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

If we did not have a Governor General, we would have to replace the office with something else. As it is, the GG is paid the same as the President of the US and when the previous President flew on Air Force One, I doubt it was cheaper.

If you have a cut rate Head of State, you will have a cut rate country. 

We could eliminate the GG and just have direct rule, but it would create a heavy burden for the King.

What are we getting for 34 million dollars a year for the GG office?   

If the GG is paid the same as the President of the U.S., then we are big trouble. Seriously, the President of the most powerful country in the world with endless responsibilities and the GG gets paid the same.    Wow, we have a serious problem that you just pointed out.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What are we getting for 34 million dollars a year for the GG office?   

We get the King's representative. Do you think a President would be cheaper?

How would appointing a President for the office be different than appointing a Governor General?

It would simply be a mere change in title.

Edited by Queenmandy85

23 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

How would appointing a President for the office be different than appointing a Governor General?

We need a head of state but they don't get a blank check whether we elect them or not.

31 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I think I could set it up to run for 4 or 5 million dollars a year, saving taxpayers 30 million dollars a year.  But I don't have any say in it.  Simple.  Get rid of Rideau Hall or turn it into a paying museum.  Cut staff to about ten people plus RCMP security and put them in a office like every other bureaucrat.  No travel to foreign countries and no hosting big gala events.  Reduce salary to same as an MP with an extra allowance plus reasonable expenses, maybe $200,000 per year total taxable income plus reasonable expenses.  Keep within budget.  No big pension after finishing their five year term and no expense account after retiring.

Edited by blackbird

I forgot to mention, we don't have to pay a Vice President $235,000 (US) plus the cost of all the travel on AF 2.

39 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I think I could set it up to run for 4 or 5 million dollars a year, saving taxpayers 30 million dollars a year.  But I don't have any say in it.  Simple.  Get rid of Rideau Hall or turn it into a paying museum.  Cut staff to about ten people plus RCMP security and put them in a office like every other bureaucrat.  No travel to foreign countries and no hosting big gala events.  Reduce salary to same as an MP with an extra allowance plus reasonable expenses, maybe $200,000 per year total taxable income plus reasonable expenses.  Keep within budget.  No big pension after finishing their five year term and no expense account after retiring.

Better yet, eliminate the position of Prime Minister. 

If you give discount compensation, you will get a half rate GG.

Seriously, the Governor General, together with the King, is the face of Canada. What kind of respect would we be showing to our country by becoming a nation of chiselers. 

50 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Adrienne Clarkson . . . former Governor General, still bills the Canadian taxpayer $100,000.- per year while enjoying her retirement in 2005.  Seventeen years on the taxpayers teat.  Parasitic tapeworm.  Make you proud Queenmandy ?

How about that next broad they had there,

superastronaut nutcase

apparently she was an aswhole

but hey,

mind your respect

;) 

• Like 1

We can do something about that unbound and unlimited entitlement extravaganza though. Not writing to you employee-representative (aka to Santa), no. Make your annual taxable income around 15K (25 with a family). And in a couple of decades, with a reasonable uptake, would work like a charm. Let's see how MPs, PS and CEO would happily sponsor all the generosity. Out of their, personal pocket.

Edited by myata

8 hours ago, Moonbox said:

I don't think scamming is the right word.  I think abusing is better.  Scamming means something specific.  What's happening at Rideau Hall is better described as entitlement and being out of touch.  

Representing the King doesn't mean you get to live like one from the 1500's on the taxpayer's dime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1