Thousands In Canada Being Euthanized Who Are Not Terminally Sick

2 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Suicide is not illegal in Canada, hasn't been for 50 years.

As I said many times, that is a moral question of right or wrong.  It has always been considered as wrong by civilized society.  Anyone who thinks suicide is fine or reasonable really needs help. 

However, the government does not use the word suicide in the MAID laws or debates because they don't want people to think that is what it is.  It is carefully avoided.

Edited by blackbird

39 minutes ago, blackbird said:

That's because there are many reasons why I trust the "old book".  Just one reason alone is Jesus was raised from the dead and seen after the resurrection by many eye witnesses.  Anyone who chooses to ignore that fact has to be blind.

No, he wasn't.  And no, he wasn't.  Some people made that up.

That being said, (and I seem to remember saying this to you after a similar series of posts a couple of years ago) there's no point in continuing this discussion.  It's entered the realm of pantomime now.

So you can have the last word in our particular exchange of views.

24 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

No, he wasn't.  And no, he wasn't.  Some people made that up.

That being said, (and I seem to remember saying this to you after a similar series of posts a couple of years ago) there's no point in continuing this discussion.  It's entered the realm of pantomime now.

So you can have the last word in our particular exchange of views.

Probably the two biggest proofs of the resurrection of Jesus are the empty tomb and the fact that many of the Apostles died as martyrs for their faith or belief in the resurrection.  People don't die for a lie.  There are other reasons.  You can Google it and see for yourself.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Probably the two biggest proofs of the resurrection of Jesus are the empty tomb and the fact that many of the Apostles died as martyrs for their faith or belief in the resurrection.  People don't die for a lie.  There are other reasons.  You can Google it and see for yourself.

You’ve read the story that the tomb was empty…. That’s not a proof of anything. 

The 911 hijackers died as martyrs too…. Also not proof of anything. 

13 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

The empty tomb is strong evidence.  Read this article on it.

Then there are the eye witnesses who saw Jesus after the resurrection.

Historical Evidence for the Resurrection | Desiring God

14 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

The 911 hijackers didn't suffer beatings and persecution like the disciples did for preaching the resurrection of Christ.  They made a quick exit by flying planes into the Twin Towers.  We also have mountains of evidence that Islam is a false religious system but the evidence for the Bible  being true is very strong.  We don't see disciples of Jesus flying aircraft into Twin Towers.  All the suicide bombing by jihadists regularly around the world should tell you something.

Edited by blackbird

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The 911 hijackers didn't suffer beatings and persecution like the disciples did for preaching the resurrection of Christ.  They made a quick exit by flying planes into the Twin Towers.  We also have mountains of evidence that Islam is a false religious system but the evidence for the Bible  being true is very strong.  We don't see disciples of Jesus flying aircraft into Twin Towers.  All the suicide bombing by jihadists regularly around the world should tell you something.

Buddhists have lit themselves on fire.  I guess their religion is the true one as that’s maximal suffering. 

25 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Funny how you like to waste time just being contrary.  I don't know what you get out of it.

Funny how you say that Christianity is believable because the martyrs suffered for their beliefs, but when shown martyrs who suffered the most extreme anyone could imagine, you just dismiss it.  

I am pointing out the fallacy of your reasoning.   Do you think this forum exists just so you can preach your beliefs without challenge?   I am guessing there are a million Christian forums you could post at that would reaffirm how wonderful your beliefs are.  Try chiristiancirclejerk.com

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Funny how you say that Christianity is believable because the martyrs suffered for their beliefs, but when shown martyrs who suffered the most extreme anyone could imagine, you just dismiss it.  

I am pointing out the fallacy of your reasoning.   Do you think this forum exists just so you can preach your beliefs without challenge?   I am guessing there are a million Christian forums you could post at that would reaffirm how wonderful your beliefs are.  Try chiristiancirclejerk.com

You are not pointing out the fallacy of my reasoning at all.  Everything you post is complete nonsense.

I discovered there is a coalition that works to oppose euthanasia called the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition.  Anyone interested can read their information on their website and join if they feel led to.

Thankfully we still live in a free society where such organizations can exist and communicate their beliefs.

"Sanctioning of euthanasia and assisted suicide (as in the Netherlands) has led to increased use of euthanasia without consent, circumvention of the law, and abuse of the vulnerable.
Advances in hospice/palliative care and pain management methods are threatened when euthanasia and assisted suicide are sanctioned as a means of relieving pain and suffering.
Requests for assisted suicide is a call for help."

I am looking into joining this coalition and giving them some support.

Euthanasia Prevention Coalition | Building a broad based network to oppose euthanasia & assisted suicide worldwide. (epcc.ca)

Edited by blackbird

Complex issue. I'm not religious but I would say MAID is overly broad in a creepy/scary way. You shouldn't be able to get assisted suicide for any medical condition or no condition. It's too dangerous a thing in the hands of government, especially when many conditions once deemed mental illnesses no longer are. Given psychology's ugly history, there is no reason to trust these matters will be handled correctly. Not to mention conflict of interest, it's cost savings to an already overburdened medical system.

For terminal illness such as cancer with extreme suffering, and advanced dementia where there is no quality of life left only IMO. Which we sort of already had... doctors often did not hold back morphine. 

Edited by Nexii
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nexii said:

Complex issue. I'm not religious but I would say MAID is overly broad in a creepy/scary way. You shouldn't be able to get assisted suicide for any medical condition or no condition. It's too dangerous a thing in the hands of government, especially when many conditions once deemed mental illnesses no longer are. Given psychology's ugly history, there is no reason to trust these matters will be handled correctly. Not to mention conflict of interest, it's cost savings to an already overburdened medical system.

For terminal illness such as cancer with extreme suffering, and advanced dementia where there is no quality of life left only IMO. Which we sort of already had... doctors often did not hold back morphine. 

It isn't in the hands of government, people get to make their own choices. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aristides said:

It isn't in the hands of government, people get to make their own choices. 

Making one's own choices without the moral compass of the will of God as revealed in his written revelation is a recipe for disaster both in this life and in eternity.  That is why the world is in the broken tragic condition it is.  Ever since Adam made his own choice to go against God's will, it has been a disastrous, tragic world.  God in his mercy sent his Son to pay the penalty for our sin and offer salvation both in this life and for eternity to a fallen, lost world.

What the Bible says about Self Will (bibletools.org)

Our days on this earth are numbered.  We had better be prepared to meet our Creator at any moment.

Your Days Are Numbered So Count Them Wisely | SermonAudio

Edited by blackbird

4 hours ago, Contrarian said:

This is what the Taliban say when they stop a woman for having her veil too light or when a radical orthodox Rabbi in Jerusalem refuses to share the seat with a woman in public transit. 

They all justify it with the same line: "We are making God's choices." 

That excuse won't hold up with the one and only true God.  Those other religions have no real God behind them.  There is only one true God as revealed in the Holy Scripture.  If you have not read or studied it in the Holy Scriptures and believed it, you're just talking smoke and mirrors.  Atheism is the road to hell.

1 hour ago, Contrarian said:

as Kapital written by Marx and religious people based on the Bible did most of the killing? 

The Communists did kill around 100 million people in the 20th century.  People who were really following the Bible did not do all the killing.  I have said this countless times.  There are many false religions in the world and many wars and terrorism over false religion.  Jesus taught his followers to "love thy neighbour" and said his kingdom is not of this world.  So anyone who thinks aggression or wars was the way to spread his religion was not following the Bible.  Of course nations and individuals have the right to defend themselves and their country against aggressors.   When there are wars and violence, there is more than one side to the story.  But as I explained before the world is a corrupt, fallen place ever since the Fall of Adam.  That is why we have wars, crime, disease, and every other evil.  When you try to blame Christianity or the Bible, we know it is just the anti-God, anti-Bible, anti-Christianity resisting.  Without God's revelation, who has the truth?  Is it yours, the liberals, the left, some progressives or who has it?  It is complete nonsense to claim there are no absolutes such as good and evil, right and wrong, truth and error.   Such thinking simply perpetuates ignorance, error, and supports a free-for-all attitude by an immoral society.

Atheists and agnostics choose to ignore the Bible.  It is a mistake to think there is a God but not accept the fact that he revealed himself to mankind.  It is silly to think God would create the universe and mankind, but leave mankind without any revelation of himself and his will as we have in the Holy Scriptures.  The Bible is full of evidence it came from God.

Edited by blackbird

48 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

Karl Marx and the Bible/Quran were interpreted by human beings for political reasons which lead to atrocities in history.

Fact:  Islam has nothing to do with the Bible.  It is an entirely different religion founded by one individual in the southern part of Arabia.  Its belief system includes the use for force and that is how it was spread.  You should not use the Quran and the Bible in the same sentence.  They are not the same.  If the Bible had been followed by everyone there might not have been many wars or fighting all the time.

Fact:  Almost all of Europe were under the control of the Roman Church which is not a Biblical church.  But they still had to defend themselves against many barbarians in parts of Europe and from the expansion of Islam.

Actual Bible believers have always been a relatively small number of people and they did not control empires and countries.  Many of them were persecuted and wiped out by Rome.

When you make broad generalizations you are not really telling the truth about history.  History is complex and many countries and people were simply defending themselves against barbarians and aggressors.

The Communists claimed to be atheists and they killed about 100 million people in the Russian revolution and the Chinese revolution.  There have been many wars fought for control of countries, resources, security,  and hate.  Religion had a part in some of it but was not the main cause.  But again much religion is not Biblical and Bible believers were not the cause of the wars and tyranny.  Blaming Bible believers for the wars is a straw man argument.  Only the ignorant fall for that one.

Edited by blackbird

The simple truth is euthanasia or doctor-assisted dying is strictly based on the world system or secular humanism. The world system is portrayed in the Bible in the book of Ecclesiastes.  It describes life as despair, hopelessness, and without any meaning.  Euthanasia is the natural outcome of that kind of life.  The term "under the sun" used in Ecclesiastes reflects that world view or thinking.  The secular humanist way of thinking is confined to nature and human reasoning.  In contrast with that, the rest of Bible gives hope, comfort, and belief in a future salvation in paradise. 

Edited by blackbird