Canada & NATO

Canada & NATO  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Canada doesn’t have a serious military anymore, so it’s impossible for Canada to have any independent foreign policy.  We’re in the Anglo-American camp or the Chinese-Internationalist camp.  Even within NATO Canada isn’t taken seriously.  Canada’s contribution to world conflicts now is as a place for refugees from conflict regions to resettle, nothing more.  I mean nothing at all more.  

• Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 6:23 AM, Zeitgeist said:

Canada doesn’t have a serious military anymore, so it’s impossible for Canada to have any independent foreign policy.  We’re in the Anglo-American camp or the Chinese-Internationalist camp.  Even within NATO Canada isn’t taken seriously.  Canada’s contribution to world conflicts now is as a place for refugees from conflict regions to resettle, nothing more.  I mean nothing at all more.  

Canada has never had its own foreign policy

even when Canada was the fourth largest military power on earth in 1945

Canada still did not have its own foreign policy

only the Hegemons have foreign policies

foreign policy is a product of empires

On 12/22/2022 at 10:57 PM, August1991 said:

NATO was designed to defend the West against the Soviet Union.

But now, the Soviet Union is no more. Why do will still have NATO?

that is not the stated purpose of the 1949 Washington Treaty nor ever was

according to the document, the purpose of the North Atlantic Treaty is as follows :

A. The Preamble
The Parties to this Treaty reaffirm their faith in the purposes and
principles of the Charter of the United Nations and their desire to live
in peace with all peoples and all governments.
They are determined to safeguard the freedom, common heritage
and civilization of their peoples, founded on the principles of
democracy, individual liberty and the rule of law. They seek to
promote stability and well-being in the North Atlantic area.
They are resolved to unite their efforts for collective defence and
for the preservation of peace and security.
They therefore agree to this North Atlantic Treaty

https://scholarlycommons.law.emory.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1222&context=eilr

On 12/23/2022 at 4:55 AM, August1991 said:

I was in favour when Chretien kept us out of the Iraq war. (The Brits and Australians were involved.)

By NATO, I agreed with our Afghanistan involvement.

We lost some 100 people in Afghanistan.

=====

When we ask soldiers to die for us all, it should be clear.

I don't want to sound rude, but most Canadians don't give a rats a$$ about our military, or it's soldiers, Those Canadians that wear the uniform, do it initially to serve their nation, to be part of some much larger organization, to give something back to a nation that has everything anyone could ask for.

Once they have served for a bit of time, all those reasons seem to fade, Canadians real feelings come to the surface, they don't care about none of it, they have no loyalty to it's soldiers or the nation, they are more concerned on what Canada can do for them. Soldiers continue their service to serve the men and women next to them, and really don't really care what other Canadians think or do. In their minds there are 2 class of Canadians, those that serve, the few Canadians that do care, and the rest are just dirty civvies.

Most Canadians don't care about it's inter national defense agreements, it means nothing to them, they don't care if we keep our promises or not, they clap when our government disregards our inter national signed agreements. And then wonder why we have no inter national reputation. ya we are polite as F***, but we will lie and deceive when ever we can. As far as every other nation is concerned we are already out of NATO. 

No we lost 159 Service people in Afghanistan conflict, with 600 plus wounded, and another 400 plus who took their own lives in suicide due to mental health issues.   

On 12/23/2022 at 12:41 AM, August1991 said:

IMHO, we Canadians should no longer take sides.

Heck, there is no side. We Canadians must decide our own way.

We are deciding our own way and that is to be united with the other liberal democracies in opposing people who don't believe in democracy or human rights. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 12:41 AM, August1991 said:

IMHO, we Canadians should no longer take sides.

Heck, there is no side. We Canadians must decide our own way.

Canada trying to be neutral has been a disaster.  That resulted in PM Pierre Trudeau signing a deal with China in 1970 recognizing the CCP.  Then following up by establishing trade and other things with China which resulted in helping China become a superpower and now threatening the world if they don't get their way.  Canada has been paying the price.  The world is divided up into democracies, superpowers and dictatorships.  Canada must be on the side democracy and human rights or be taken over by the dictatorships.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:02 PM, Aristides said:

Sweden and Finland have come to the realization that eventually you will have to pick a side, whether you want to or not.

Reading quickly through the posts above, this bothers me.

======

During the Cold War - a far more more fundamental dispute than this current civil war, Sweden and Finland avoided the US pressure to join the alliance.

But nowadays, it is the US pressure that is intense. "You are on our side, or else."

I give credit to Chretien for keeping us out.

13 hours ago, August1991 said:

Reading quickly through the posts above, this bothers me.

======

During the Cold War - a far more more fundamental dispute than this current civil war, Sweden and Finland avoided the US pressure to join the alliance.

But nowadays, it is the US pressure that is intense. "You are on our side, or else."

I give credit to Chretien for keeping us out.

Sweden and Finland have come to the conclusion that Russia under Putin is a greater threat than the Soviet Union. It wasn't US pressure that prompted Sweden to reintroduce compulsory military service five years ago.

SEATO - also. I understand the war in Vietnam.

=====

Now we have Russia, which seems a worse threat than the former Soviet Union

• Like 1

SEATO - also. I understand the war in Vietnam.

=====

Russia is still a stench in the nostrils of the world. Still led by corrupt, rapacious, soulless leaders, still populated by easily herded peasants. NATO is needed to defend the West from such dangers.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Contrarian said:

---> and one more message:

Nice...video i have to ask you do you think Canada is living up to everything to the message this video suggests...most Canadians have no clue on just how unprepared we are for any conflict, proof of that was Afghanistan, we were fighting an insurgency and were pushed to the very limits...in manpower, in equipment, in supplies...in everything...

I find it frustrated why so many Canadians think our military is on par for a G-7 nation, when i can give you countless 3 rd world countries that are more prepared and have a better equipment, better manned, better military over all than Canada does. I"M not taking anything away for our soldiers they are warriors, it is the Government and it's Citizens that have taken apart this institution piece by piece, and they are proud of that..

Canada is not NATO, but rather a problem child for NATO. we are that yappy little dog that hides behind the US and barks and barks , a pees on the carpet when someone else talks back to it. 

NATO is but a shadow of what it used to be, and not many members want to live up to those standards they signed on to. 

All Canadians should do some research on what capability's we have and don't have. it's not like we are hiding them all that info, shit we present them like some it was a golden goose or something. we should not be celebrating propaganda like this but forcing our government to atleast treat the life's of it's soldiers with some respect by buying it modern equipment. 

• Like 1