Federal Liberals rushing to help Quebec suppress English

Needless to say they still think helping French communities outside Quebec is extraordinarily important. But the English in Quebec will lose language rights in federally regulated industries. Pierre Trudeau made bilingualism a basic principle but his son is trading that principle away in the name of pandering for votes from the anti-English nationalists of Quebec.

Bill C-13 has many flaws, but here are the most significant:   

•It recognizes French as the sole official language of Quebec, when the Canadian Constitution ensures English as the language of the legislature and the courts;  

•It uses Quebec’s Charter of the French Language, Bill 96, as the standard for federally regulated businesses in Quebec, which means banks, transport and communication companies will be subject to the Office Québécois de la Langue Française;   

•It creates a distinction between the rights and recourses afforded to French minority communities and those for the English minority in Quebec. While seeking to grow Francophone minority opportunities in business and government, it suppresses them for Quebec Anglophones.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-caddell-liberals-rushing-to-help-quebec-suppress-english

7 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Needless to say they still think helping French communities outside Quebec is extraordinarily important.

What irks me is when I try to follow what's being said when politicians and interpreter's can both be heard talking in two languages at the same time.  Hearing aids only make things worse and the AI algorithm thingy generating the closed caption is retarded.

That's about all that gets me worked up about language and politics. 

Edited by eyeball

Incredible.

Promoting French is suppressing English. I have not heard something that stupid in a while.

A continent with more than 300 Million native English speakers, for a province with 6.5 million native French speakers, the French are the threat.

What an absolute comedy.

2 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Incredible.

Promoting French is suppressing English. I have not heard something that stupid in a while.

A continent with more than 300 Million native English speakers, for a province with 6.5 million native French speakers, the French are the threat.

What an absolute comedy.

It's even stupider than that. Not bending backwards promoting French 24/7 365 days everywhere you go in Canada makes you a racist.  You see the same thing when people laugh at comparisons between Trudeau and Hitler, it means you support Hitler.

I'm pretty sure Hitler would be more offended actually.

19 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Incredible.

You're lying. You know perfectly well the difference between promotion and suppression. But like all other Quebec separatists, including Legault you despise English and see nothing wrong with forcing people to use your dreadfully inefficient language or leave. And hope for the latter.

19 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

A province with 6.5 million French should be allowed to violate as many human rights as it cares to because somehow or other French is threatened, though it's not, and must survive regardless of costs to others. And you simply take it for granted that a French Quebec prime minister would abandon his father's insistence on equal treatment and kowtow to the separatists in Quebec. All while increasing federal government support for Francophone groups outside Quebec.

Tell me, how would you and the rest of Quebec react if the federal government deliberately brought in English speaking immigrants to Quebec in order to increase its English population? You don't have to answer. We all know how you'd react. Yet bringing in French immigrants to increase the size of minority language communities elsewhere in Canada is precisely what the federal government has been doing. And no one would dare question it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1