Putin Signs Law Banning Expressions of L.G.B.T.Q. Identity in Public

Hey Trump-loving “Christians”!  Here’s your chance to move to Russia and enjoy a gay-free life!  Of course, it’s a freedom-free life, but you can’t have everything!

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia intensified his crackdown on L.G.B.T.Q. people on Monday, when he signed new legislation that widely bans public expression of their identity in the country.

The new law makes it illegal to spread “propaganda” about “nontraditional sexual relations” in the media, advertising, movies or on social media. It had passed the Duma, Russia’s Parliament, by a vote of 397 to 0 on Nov. 24.

Demonstrations of “nontraditional relationships or preferences” will also be completely barred from advertising, and from any outlet visible to minors.” - NY Times

Putin is such a good Christian, isn’t he?  Besides never going to church and putting religious leaders in prison and stuff, he’s made Russia a very Christian place. Sorta. 

Edited by Rebound

Your thread title and the opening line of the "information" in your post (ie, "when he signed new legislation that widely bans public expression of their identity in the country") are unsupported by the description of his actual legislation.

The inference in both of those places is that individuals can't express their LGBTQ identity in public, but the actual quotes about legislation just refer to advertising, movies, social media and outlets visible to minors

The new law makes it illegal to spread “propaganda” about “nontraditional sexual relations” in the media, advertising, movies or on social media. It had passed the Duma, Russia’s Parliament, by a vote of 397 to 0 on Nov. 24.

Demonstrations of “nontraditional relationships or preferences” will also be completely barred from advertising, and from any outlet visible to minors.” - NY Times

There's nothing at all there that says individuals can't express their LGBTQ identity in public.

In fairness, it's a threat to life itself for people to openly display the fact that they're gay in Russia, and IMO Putin likes it that way and his people know it, but instead of telling the truth about that you made comments which are less serious and less than accurate, as always.

FYI it's not hard to come up with more serious and demonstrably true accusations against Putin and the harm that his actions and words have caused to gay people in Russia. Why do you find it necessary to lie about something that you could have been honest about? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

Your thread title and the opening line of the "information" in your post (ie, "when he signed new legislation that widely bans public expression of their identity in the country") are unsupported by the description of his actual legislation.

The inference in both of those places is that individuals can't express their LGBTQ identity in public, but the actual quotes about legislation just refer to advertising, movies, social media and outlets visible to minors

There's nothing at all there that says individuals can't express their LGBTQ identity in public.

In fairness, it's a threat to life itself for people to openly display the fact that they're gay in Russia, and IMO Putin likes it that way and his people know it, but instead of telling the truth about that you made comments which are less serious and less than accurate, as always.

FYI it's not hard to come up with more serious and demonstrably true accusations against Putin and the harm that his actions and words have caused to gay people in Russia. Why do you find it necessary to lie about something that you could have been honest about? 

I just quoted the headline and first few sentences of The NY Times article, but I fail to understand your point. 

Are you saying, “Gee, it’s perfectly fine, since they’re only banning homosexuality from media, and not from public?”  

I don’t know if it’s the translation. I don’t know if they meant “banned from public airwaves” and it’s ok for people to make pro-gay statements, as long as it isn’t on radio, TV or the internet? 

2 hours ago, Rebound said:

I just quoted the headline and first few sentences of The NY Times article, but I fail to understand your point. 

Are you saying, “Gee, it’s perfectly fine, since they’re only banning homosexuality from media, and not from public?”  

I don’t know if it’s the translation. I don’t know if they meant “banned from public airwaves” and it’s ok for people to make pro-gay statements, as long as it isn’t on radio, TV or the internet? 

I don't personally agree with Putin's attitude towards homosexuality. It's repugnant. I feel awful that people would be seriously harmed for doing something that doesn't harm anyone else. 

But Putin said "don't advertise/promote homosexuality in the media, movies, social media, or in businesses where children can see it." He didn't even say they can't have businesses that are gay AF, the law just says that children can't see that from the street."

Like I said, it's entirely possible to say things that are 100% true and cast Putin as an ogre, I just don't understand why they'd make their article about things that aren't true, or that at least are unsupported by that article.

I'd personally say that these laws help to further marginalize the gay community, and make gay people feel even more like 2nd class citizens, in a country where gay bashing is still tacitly approved by every level of policing and government. 

19 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I don't personally agree with Putin's attitude towards homosexuality. It's repugnant. I feel awful that people would be seriously harmed for doing something that doesn't harm anyone else. 

But Putin said "don't advertise/promote homosexuality in the media, movies, social media, or in businesses where children can see it." He didn't even say they can't have businesses that are gay AF, the law just says that children can't see that from the street."

Like I said, it's entirely possible to say things that are 100% true and cast Putin as an ogre, I just don't understand why they'd make their article about things that aren't true, or that at least are unsupported by that article.

I'd personally say that these laws help to further marginalize the gay community, and make gay people feel even more like 2nd class citizens, in a country where gay bashing is still tacitly approved by every level of policing and government. 

Look, it’s a fact that Russian police violently stopped gay pride rally’s, and now he’s instituting even more crackdowns.  Is a gay pride rally a place where minors can see homosexuality? Yes. Are they protecting anybody from anything? No. 

I think we agree here and there’s really no argument. Vladimir Putin is anti-American and repulsive.  He’s dropping bombs on Ukrainian children while pretending to “protect” Russian children from homosexuality.  Who is he fooling? Not you, I’m sure.  

hello!
i'm from Russia.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:21 AM, WestCanMan said:

advertising, movies, social media and outlets visible to minors

there has already been the old law that banned "LGBTQ propaganda", it was signed some years back. the new one makes it illegal for any audience. and as with some other recent laws in Russia it's vague so it's going to depend on how the authorities are going to use it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Rebound said:

Look, it’s a fact that Russian police violently stopped gay pride rally’s, and now he’s instituting even more crackdowns.  Is a gay pride rally a place where minors can see homosexuality? Yes. Are they protecting anybody from anything? No. 

Pride parades here are beyond the pale.

We don't accept the dress, morality and lewd behaviour of straight people at public parades, I don't know why we do it with gay parades. 

I think we agree here and there’s really no argument. Vladimir Putin is anti-American and repulsive.  He’s dropping bombs on Ukrainian children while pretending to “protect” Russian children from homosexuality.  Who is he fooling? Not you, I’m sure.  

Putin is repulsive in many ways, by our standards, but his war against Ukraine isn't one of them. You're just being hypocritical about that.

Re: the homosexuality aspect, if you go to Africa, Asia, the ME, and South America you'll find that the majority of people feel the same way as Putin. You'd even find that in NA 40 years ago. Putin's feelings towards homosexuality are not unique by any stretch of the imagination. NA and Europe are kind of alone in terms of our acceptance of homosexuality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Pride parades here are beyond the pale.

We don't accept the dress, morality and lewd behaviour of straight people at public parades, I don't know why we do it with gay parades. 

Putin is repulsive in many ways, by our standards, but his war against Ukraine isn't one of them. You're just being hypocritical about that.

Re: the homosexuality aspect, if you go to Africa, Asia, the ME, and South America you'll find that the majority of people feel the same way as Putin. You'd even find that in NA 40 years ago. Putin's feelings towards homosexuality are not unique by any stretch of the imagination. NA and Europe are kind of alone in terms of our acceptance of homosexuality.

Pride parades where are ‘beyond the pale.’ What does that mean?

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

Pride parades where are ‘beyond the pale.’ What does that mean?

Outside the norms of acceptable behaviour.

https://www.macleans.ca/society/the-naked-truth-about-pride/

There's a lot of nudity at the parade, people making out, bending over and grinding on each other, etc. 

I don't even go to clubs where people do that indoors, I definitely don't want my kids seeing it on the street. Gay, straight, it makes no difference. I don't think it's ok at all. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, whoshere said:

hello!
i'm from Russia.

there has already been the old law that banned "LGBTQ propaganda", it was signed some years back. the new one makes it illegal for any audience. and as with some other recent laws in Russia it's vague so it's going to depend on how the authorities are going to use it.

Hi whoshere,

The worst thing that "the authorities" do, in my opinion, is turn a blind eye extreme violence against members of the gay community (at least that's what we are led to believe here, but who knows how true it is. I don't trust our media any more than I trust Putin).

The laws against "advertising/promoting homosexuality in the media, movies, social media, or in businesses where children can see it" are probably nebulous for a reason. It's hard to specifically list what's allowed, or not allowed, in terms of behaviour, because it leaves room for people to find loopholes and get away this and that.

btw, in my first comment i meant to say that "LGBTQ propaganda" for minors has already been illegal since 2013.

14 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

The laws against "advertising/promoting homosexuality in the media, movies, social media, or in businesses where children can see it" are probably nebulous for a reason.

on one hand, avoiding loopholes makes sense. on the other hand, it becomes a loophole itself that allows government and authorities to choose when to use it and when not to, and to target certain people, organizations and media.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whoshere said:

btw, in my first comment i meant to say that "LGBTQ propaganda" for minors has already been illegal since 2013.

on one hand, avoiding loopholes makes sense. on the other hand, it becomes a loophole itself that allows government and authorities to choose when to use it and when not to, and to target certain people, organizations and media.

Yep, that was the point.

It's unfortunate that over there, things are too far to one side, and over here they're too far to the other. 

The LGBTQ cancel cult (by that I don't mean "the average gay person", I mean the hollowest vessels in their community making the most noise) wields a lot of power here, and they're just not decent, reasonable people in general. 

Edited by WestCanMan

On 12/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, Rebound said:

Hey Trump-loving “Christians”!  Here’s your chance to move to Russia and enjoy a gay-free life!  Of course, it’s a freedom-free life, but you can’t have everything!

President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia intensified his crackdown on L.G.B.T.Q. people on Monday, when he signed new legislation that widely bans public expression of their identity in the country.

Putin is such a good Christian, isn’t he?  Besides never going to church and putting religious leaders in prison and stuff, he’s made Russia a very Christian place. Sorta. 

How do you feel about all the Islamic countries and the way they deal with the LGBTQ alphabet movement?

On 12/5/2022 at 5:50 PM, Rebound said:

Nobody wants the lgbtq dead.. just don't try and push it on school children. Stick to the three Rs and away from far left indoctrination in schools.. not that hard

1 hour ago, West said:

Nobody wants the lgbtq dead.. just don't try and push it on school children. Stick to the three Rs and away from far left indoctrination in schools.. not that hard

I don’t understand what you mean by that, so let me ask you a not-hypothetical question:

When my kids went to grade school, there were several children who had two mothers or two fathers. And some kids lived with their grandparents, or they had a mother and no father. What is a school teacher to say about this? 

What I think is that you want the school teacher to say is that a normal family has a mommy and a daddy. So then, through no fault of their own, the other kids can feel inferior and get bullied.  Does that make a better society? Does it make us more Christian? Is that what Jesus would do? 

I don’t see this as an “agenda.”  I think kids find their sexual identity during puberty. Every tomboy I knew in grade school wound up being a lesbian. Every effeminate boy I knew in grade school wound up being gay. These are kids I knew in second and third grade. So in my experience, you don’t “make” people gay, and I don’t think that is anyone’s agenda. I wouldn’t want my daughter to marry a gay man who’s repressing his homosexuality.  That would be horrible. If the man’s gay, he should live that life and not drag a woman into a terrible marriage. 

Edited by Rebound

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

That you people would use the same measures as them and Russia if you thought you could get away with it.

Pretty harsh. If I don't agree with you on everything I must be the devil right?

I don't agree with throwing gays off buildings or whatever else they do in the Muslim world with that community. 

I also don't want the LGTB+++ stuff constantly shoved in my face. Nor do I think it's appropriate to force it on children in schools. How about concentrating on math, science and English instead?

Diversity and inclusion which you guys always preach also includes other religious faiths that may not look upon the LGTB+++ lifestyle favourably. Or is your precious diversity and inclusion more intolerant than you want to admit?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ironstone said:

Pretty harsh. If I don't agree with you on everything I must be the devil right?

I don't agree with throwing gays off buildings or whatever else they do in the Muslim world with that community. 

I also don't want the LGTB+++ stuff constantly shoved in my face. Nor do I think it's appropriate to force it on children in schools. How about concentrating on math, science and English instead?

Diversity and inclusion which you guys always preach also includes other religious faiths that may not look upon the LGTB+++ lifestyle favourably. Or is your precious diversity and inclusion more intolerant than you want to admit?

Catholics don’t look favorably on Protestants, Jews and Muslims. A friend of mine went to a Catholic school and every day recited that the Catholic faith was God’s one and only true faith. 

If a teacher tells kids that they all need to get alone and everyone is equal, has she shoved Protestantism down their throats?  

It is legal for gay people to be married. That’s not shoving anything down anyone’s throat. 

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

I don’t understand what you mean by that, so let me ask you a not-hypothetical question:

When my kids went to grade school, there were several children who had two mothers or two fathers. And some kids lived with their grandparents, or they had a mother and no father. What is a school teacher to say about this? 

What I think is that you want the school teacher to say is that a normal family has a mommy and a daddy. So then, through no fault of their own, the other kids can feel inferior and get bullied.  Does that make a better society? Does it make us more Christian? Is that what Jesus would do? 

I don’t see this as an “agenda.”  I think kids find their sexual identity during puberty. Every tomboy I knew in grade school wound up being a lesbian. Every effeminate boy I knew in grade school wound up being gay. These are kids I knew in second and third grade. So in my experience, you don’t “make” people gay, and I don’t think that is anyone’s agenda. I wouldn’t want my daughter to marry a gay man who’s repressing his homosexuality.  That would be horrible. If the man’s gay, he should live that life and not drag a woman into a terrible marriage. 

I'm not sure I follow. Public Schools aren't a place to push your version of morality on others

15 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Catholics don’t look favorably on Protestants, Jews and Muslims. A friend of mine went to a Catholic school and every day recited that the Catholic faith was God’s one and only true faith. 

If a teacher tells kids that they all need to get alone and everyone is equal, has she shoved Protestantism down their throats?  

It is legal for gay people to be married. That’s not shoving anything down anyone’s throat. 

Private schools aside, if some public schools allow things like drag queens prancing around in front of little kids doesn't that meet the threshold of shoving it down their throats? Apparently teaching the kids some pretty explicit sexual stuff. 

Doesn't that cross the line big time?

1 hour ago, ironstone said:

No, it's because hard-boiled right-wing conservatism is not a place, it's a direction, and enough of you will eventually agree to these things.  

I also don't want the LGTB+++ stuff constantly shoved in my face.

Then don't look.

Nor do I think it's appropriate to force it on children in schools.

You make it sound like this is happening it's not. Get a grip

Anthony Burgess didn't actually want people to read A Clockwork Orange |  Dazed

How about concentrating on math, science and English instead?

Diversity and inclusion which you guys always preach also includes other religious faiths that may not look upon the LGTB+++ lifestyle favourably. Or is your precious diversity and inclusion more intolerant than you want to admit?

I get good and intolerant when people try to shove religion in my face and I'll be the first to get right back in it's face. Don't worry about that. 

Edited by eyeball

16 minutes ago, ironstone said:

Private schools aside, if some public schools allow things like drag queens prancing around in front of little kids doesn't that meet the threshold of shoving it down their throats? Apparently teaching the kids some pretty explicit sexual stuff. 

Doesn't that cross the line big time?

I don’t know what you’re talking about. 
Focus, ok? 
Should we have Sex Ed in second grade? No, of course not. Not by a long shot.  But we should teach children that there are different kinds of families, and we respect them all equally, just as we respect all religions and races.  Doesn’t mean we teach children to be Muslim or even what Muslim is. Just respect people, that’s all. 

10 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, it's because hard-boiled right-wing conservatism is not a place, it's a direction, and enough of you will eventually agree to these things.  

Then don't look.

You make it sound like this is happening it's not. Get a grip

Anthony Burgess didn't actually want people to read A Clockwork Orange |  Dazed

I get good and intolerant when people try to shove religion in my face and I'll be the first to get right back in it's face. Don't worry about that. 

Others have views that I don't share or I think are just outright crazy. But they are entitled to voice their opinions just as I am. Honest, respectful debate is the best way to go.

And there are drag queens in public schools. It is a real thing. By all means, have nurses, doctors, cops, firefighters and the like come and talk to the children about their careers, but drag queens?

You talk about hard-boiled right-wing conservatism? Wow, just look at how far beyond the fringe the left has gone! According to your side, boys can be girls, girls can be boys, dozens of new genders, everything is racist, communism is wonderful. Are you kidding me??