Federal Carbon Charge

myata

"Charge is a service so we can slam a tax on it because it's adds to the value of the product!" How many charges? Any limits, of taxes?

No questions. No answers. Nothing. Cemetery silence.

Astonishing what can be claimed in this country by the governments, without as much as questioning. Wow. Fascinating! Truly amazing that we made it this far, but OK there are natural reasons. Can't end happily, no, simply no way.

I don't know the history of utility bills on my house, as I just moved in this summer, but the carbon tax thing on my September bill was $1.50 and in December it was $21.50.

On the neighbourhood Facebook page, people are talking about the increases.  Everyone is showing at least a 40% increase in cost.

One posted pics of his bill for first week in Jan 2022 and first week in Jan 2023.  He used 6% LESS natural gas than the same time last year (perhaps it's been warmer this year than last year, I don't know) and it cost 63% MORE money.

I don't believe any of this money flooding out of our wallets and into government coffers is doing one thing to combat climate change. Not one bit.

• Thanks 2

I got a couple of hundred dollars back this week.  I haven't done the maths, so I don't know if it's more than any carbon tax has cost me since the last time I got a couple of hundred dollars back.

On 1/11/2023 at 6:58 AM, blackbird said:

A tax should have some justification for it.  But they have put a GST tax on the amount of carbon tax paid in BC back about ten years ago or more.   I know.  I saw it on my natural gas bills eight or ten years ago.   I don't know if it is still there because I moved and don't have natural gas anymore. 

A tax on a tax?  What gives here?  Sounds like something from a tyrant ruling the peasants in the dark ages.   What a clever way to suck the blood out of the people.

Carbon tax 10 years ago??

Regardless, GST is on every product or service you get or buy.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Far more than ten years ago.  Guess you didn't know Premier Gordon Campbell of the BC Liberal Party started the carbon tax in BC in 2008.  We have probably been paying the scam tax longer than anyone else in the world.  That's your left wing province of BC.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Charging GST on carbon tax is not a tax on a product or service.  You should know the difference.   It is a tax on a tax.

Yet the federal government thinks the people don't know the difference or care.  I guess they found at least some gullible people that don't know they're being had.  Either that or people are too dumb and believe the federal government can do no wrong.

The federal government also puts GST/PST on shipping charges when you order something online.  Another scam.  These are not products or services.  The GST stands for goods and services and PST stands for provincial sales taxes.  

Carbon taxes and shipping costs are not "goods and services".

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

The B.C. Conservative party is the only party which will remove the carbon tax and cut back on ideology being taught in public schools to kids.  I will support them in the next election if I have the chance.  The B.C. Liberal party is really just NDP light.

23 hours ago, Goddess said:

One posted pics of his bill for first week in Jan 2022 and first week in Jan 2023.  He used 6% LESS natural gas than the same time last year (perhaps it's been warmer this year than last year, I don't know) and it cost 63% MORE money.

Dollar amount per unit of consumption changed from $20 in the beginning couple of years back to $50 this year, that's over a double. Has to more than triple again (to $170) by 2030.

Edited by myata

According to Canada carbon charge plan, the price is going to more than tripe by 2030: from $50 in 2022, to $170, 2030. And it means that the HST is going to triple too, obviously: from ~$10, winter months now to over $30 by 2030. Yes this is your thirty bucks, now give them to me just because.

That's my calculation for winter months but if taken over the year only the HST would eat up all of the incentive. Will it increase in proportion to the charge? Can we count on it?

Question: why? This is no "service", just forget it. This is an obvious tax grab. And if Canada's progressive well-meaning and carefree, especially about spending, taxes and mandates elites are allowed that there will be more. Be sure of that, as the Sun changes Moon because this is exactly what governments do, always: giving you more, generously, of what you allow them to get away with. Just curious what would it take for Joe and Jill to wake up from their deep hibernation slumber? Will it be in the third world, already?

Edited by myata

2022, the year of record inflation.. so how much your tax credits were indexed for in that year try to guess? 8%... 4 maybe? Just try.

Then try this exercise: what was the indexing factor for the government expenses? How did you great MP salary fare?

Is it one and the same number? Why should it be any different, in a great democracy? No: despite and regardless sunny smiles and great songs this just cannot go that way forever.. or even much longer (in history terms). UK MP salary 80K (pounds) Canada, 180K (dollars). We all suspect it, somewhere in the back of our minds. Some time, the alarm will buzz that may be already in the third world though.

"MPs have already taken two pay raises during the pandemic. MPs give themselves pay raises each year on April 1, based on the average year-one increase in private-sector union contracts with corporations that have more than 500 employees."

79% of Canadians opposed but come on, seriously? Who is this great democracy designed and working for, so well?

Edited by myata