Jump to content

A few words from a retiring General


Army Guy

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I agree basically.  If women can meet the standards, fair enough. However, I think that in a real combat tour, say in Afghanistan, the impact of a female soldier being caught by the enemy is not one that most rational people would accept — rape, etc.  I think the main purpose of a military is to protect women and children. and I think most male soldiers would expend a lot of energy and time protecting female soldiers in combat.  I think the stress and loneliness would be hard to manage and make it easy for lines to be crossed professionally.

 I guess it’s a question of how many resources and how much risk you want to want to put forth to meet an equity goal because some women can meet the standard.  I think this and the inevitable MeToo “he said she said” are causing all sorts of grief and litigation.  Conscientious leaders are wringing their hands publicly and being called sexist dinosaurs, etc.  The military doesn’t need this.  I know deep down that if Canada was in a serious big war, much of the woke rhetoric would disappear, but unfortunately we wouldn’t have a military ready for battle, not really.  We’ll of course carry on down this path, giving key posts to people I wouldn’t trust to defend my dog because sexism.

The other major issue I see is this constant attempt to do everything on the cheap   We get rid of divisions and lose the expertise or we pretend to still have the capacity by buying broken used equipment like subs.  When the government finally decides to procure the state of the art, the next government cancels it and taxpayers pay a penalty.  This is true from aircraft to ships.  I don’t believe any promises about icebreakers, helicopters, new fighter jets, or much else until the work is complete.

Look when i first joined the military, i had no time for women in any military trade, they were distractions, waste of training opportunities. and when the country started experimenting with women in the army, i hated the idea even more. the women they had picked the women for this trail were not even army material becasue they (HQ)wanted it to fail. that was over 40 years ago, and most women serving now have found their stride and are as good or better than their male counter parts. granted there are some shi* pumps, both female and male. 

Todays military women mostly populate the admin or logistics branch's with a good sampling in the air force. Afghanistan was a different conflict their where no front lines, anything outside the gate of your camp was hostile, with some of our worst casualties coming right at the main gate with a suicide bomber jumping on the hood of an open-air Iltis. My point is everyone in uniform had to take turns going on logistical runs, including full colonels. sex had no preference; a soldier was a soldier.

With all that said, not many nations had soldiers captured, mostly due to the nature of how we operated in large formations. And the amount of fire power one had at their fingertips, ie fighters and artillery could respond within minutes and change the bad guy's world for good.  

Rape is all about control, and it works just as well on men as it does women, in fact i think it would work better on men, as it is not something we have ever been confronted with in normal life, well not many A type personalities of soldiers anyways. So it would devastate them. 

Women that have earned their spot to be in the Infantry or whatever combat arms position, have made it clear, they don't want anyone fussing over them, they know what the job is, and if you get in their way, they'll cut your balls off. there are dozens of female infanteers , both in the ranks or as officers so far most have earned, they're places alongside the men, don't get me wrong there are shi* pumps in every job. but they are normally weeded out before they can do harm.

Being in combat operations is exhausting, working 20 hours a day is common, working days at a time is normal, now if you can think about being lonely or sex in-between those times, you're a better man than me. But anything is possible, there are more cases of camp romances in the main camps or rear areas. But outside the wire, well you get a full shower maybe once every 2 weeks, the rest it's a one-liter bottle of water to take a bird bath, brush your teeth ,wash your pits, and balls, and treat your sand flea bites  "IF" there is enough water, water is for drinking mostly not washing. it was plus 50 in the shade...now if you can get turned on with all that happening, you're the man. 

Not going to lie there are some that have jumped on this me-too movement bring up sexual assault accusations 35 years after the fact. but i think that is in any profession. And your right they are putting people in positions based on wall charts, which have to balance color, religion, creed, etc... so ya there are a good chunk that are not best qualified for the job. 

Not sure when this became a Canadian trait, but it is alive and well, Canadian taxpayers don't care how much the government spends, look at the Ship building program, it has gone up form 15 bil to 90 bil and nobody is screaming for a cancelation. 

Subs are one examples, our new LAV 6.0 we cut our LAV III in half put a new LAV 6.0 bottom on and rewelding them back together, we never touched anything on the top half, all to save money, but not lives. Same as our tanks we purchased 90 plus tanks, but we only have 40 tanks that are combat ready, LeoIIA4M, and LEO IIa6M the others are old obsolete LeoIIa4 training tanks. All of these choices are political, and none of the people making them have any experience with the military. It like sending your wife to the hardware store to pick out your tolls,or having your husband picking out your cooking utensils.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I agree basically.  If women can meet the standards, fair enough. However, I think that in a real combat tour, say in Afghanistan, the impact of a female soldier being caught by the enemy is not one that most rational people would accept — rape, etc.  I think the main purpose of a military is to protect women and children. and I think most male soldiers would expend a lot of energy and time protecting female soldiers in combat.  I think the stress and loneliness would be hard to manage and make it easy for lines to be crossed professionally.

 I guess it’s a question of how many resources and how much risk you want to want to put forth to meet an equity goal because some women can meet the standard.  I think this and the inevitable MeToo “he said she said” are causing all sorts of grief and litigation.  Conscientious leaders are wringing their hands publicly and being called sexist dinosaurs, etc.  The military doesn’t need this.  I know deep down that if Canada was in a serious big war, much of the woke rhetoric would disappear, but unfortunately we wouldn’t have a military ready for battle, not really.  We’ll of course carry on down this path, giving key posts to people I wouldn’t trust to defend my dog because sexism.

The other major issue I see is this constant attempt to do everything on the cheap   We get rid of divisions and lose the expertise or we pretend to still have the capacity by buying broken used equipment like subs.  When the government finally decides to procure the state of the art, the next government cancels it and taxpayers pay a penalty.  This is true from aircraft to ships.  I don’t believe any promises about icebreakers, helicopters, new fighter jets, or much else until the work is complete.

I think women can be in the military but should be in separate divisions and separate accommodations.  The should never have been mixed together in the same units and groups.  This was bound to lead to trouble because of human nature.  But liberals and left live in an alt reality and ignore human nature.  They call human nature "culture" and claim they can change "culture".  It is fiction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Maybe you can tell us what part of his speech has you howling at the moon, I think you have accused others on this forum, well at least me of a couple Linners that really have no substance nor actually contribute. 

Where was I howling at the moon?  I merely agreed with you that this speech would be quickly dismissed and regarded as irrelevant and tone-deaf.  

15 hours ago, Army Guy said:

He basically lays out what is wrong with today's military, I think he mentions woke, and canceled culture in a couple of lines out of pages...

Perhaps you could clarify all the things he outlined that were wrong with the actual military, rather than the shopping list of MAGA grievances that he checked off?  This isn't even really hyperbole.  Aside from claims of stolen elections, he pretty much ran the full program, including complaining about Hilary Clinton.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Army Guy, we are in agreement on most things. Where we differ is what constitutes a viable defence policy and the role of government as leader or executor of the will of the voters.

My references to Christian values in the conduct of war were a reply to Blackbird. Christianity is anti-war. I was not putting forward an argument to meet the enemy with hippies. 

Allies are not friends. An ally can, and will, turn on us when it benifits them.  A viable defence is one that can engage any nation and give the enemy assurance that in a war with Canada, their fate will be unimaginable horror and what does not turn to ash, we will turn into glass. 

The American people are a wonderful, generous people. The US government has historically been, to varying degrees, hostile to Canada. They are the only nation to invade Canada, and have done so on several occasions.  Currently, we have passible relations with the US government, but that is not a predictor of the future. Logistically. The US is the only nation that can invade Canada. Yes, the Russians could theoretically come over the pole but not in any strength. A war with Russia or China would be nuclear and there is nothing Canada can do about that.

A war with the United States would require Canada to have the ability to meet them with a superior conventional force. That is where the trillion dollar figure comes from. 

Since that is not feasable for at least a decade, our only strategy is to use what military we do have to organise and conduct a non-conventional war.

Canadians are woke and pacifist in peacetime. In wartime, they become the best soldiers possible.

Today, the role of government is that of an executor. They try to determine what the people want, and do what they can to provide it. Voters have varying demands and the job of government is to balance sometimes contradictory demands and form policy in response. It is not the role of government to tell the voters we need to spend more on defence. It is for the voters to tell the government what to do about defence. They are not enthusiastic about paying more for defence or they would be asking for it. 

I think it is not the best way to do things. I am a Monarchist. But it is unrealistic to expect the situation to change quickly. If it does change and Canadians demand an bigger and better military, it will be because we are at war. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI [/sarcasm]

Sometimes I will make up a phony name that holds some retarded concept other posters will jump to endorse.

I will include a [/s] as it seems to go over people's heads so often. And I will go overboard often when scenarios as absurd as the "Red Chinese" tunnelling thought the Earth's core and invading through Billy's sandbox in the backyard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

I think women can be in the military but should be in separate divisions and separate accommodations.  The should never have been mixed together in the same units and groups.  This was bound to lead to trouble because of human nature.  But liberals and left live in an alt reality and ignore human nature.  They call human nature "culture" and claim they can change "culture".  It is fiction.

That’s a great line: “They call human nature ‘culture’ and claim they can change culture.”

We used to understand and respect nature.  Now we pretend we’re above it. Yes civilization and politeness can repress a great deal quite successfully most of the time, but too much repression of nature leads to psychosis. That’s why we have sports and the arts, but it’s also why we have a certain amount of the underside: porn, booze, etc.  I think we have to avoid putting people in impossible situations where they will do what they have to to manage their demons/Id.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

What was this General's name and particulars?

Lieutenant-General J.O. Michel Maisonneuve, CMM, MSC, CD

12e Régiment blindé du Canada 

Bachelor & Master degree from The Royal Military College of Canada

former Assistant Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff

former Academic Director at the Royal Military College Saint-Jean.

The Maisonneuve Bursaries and Shield Award at the Royal Military College Saint-Jean is named in his honour

awarded Officer of the Legion of Honour by France

awarded Officer of the U.S. Legion of Merit by the United States

served tours in Cyprus, Bosnia & Kosovo

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2022 at 2:53 PM, Moonbox said:

Well the generals speech was parroted directly from the MAGA playbook, checking off all the right boxes and complete with "Canada can be great again".  

As for conspiracy clowns, show us again how much hyperbole you can fit into one sentence.  

Lol...making one's nation great is terribly objectionable, eh?

I mean hell...who wants a great nation when punishing the population in a variety of ways, is sooo much more...

Fulfilling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

I suspect most of the women in the military are more like Margaret Thatcher and Margaret Trudeau. They'd be quite capable of starting wars too.

Margaret Thatcher did not start any wars

the Provisional Irish Republican Army were terrorists launching attacks in the United Kingdom

the Argentine Fascist Junta invaded the Falkland Islands in an aggressive war against British sovereign territory

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Look when i first joined the military, i had no time for women in any military trade, they were distractions, waste of training opportunities. and when the country started experimenting with women in the army, i hated the idea even more. the women they had picked the women for this trail were not even army material becasue they (HQ)wanted it to fail. that was over 40 years ago, and most women serving now have found their stride and are as good or better than their male counter parts. granted there are some shi* pumps, both female and male.

at this point,  I would advise men not to join the forces

do not serve the godless atheist Woke Communist revolution against the free world

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

Lol...making one's nation great is terribly objectionable, eh?

I mean hell...who wants a great nation when punishing the population in a variety of ways, is sooo much more...

Fulfilling.

Moonbox and Herbie don’t have a valid critique of the speech, not on a single point.  Every single phrase of the speech was true and important.  The fact that anything he said would be considered in any way controversial only validates the speech’s content.

If there’s no unifying purpose of honour in the military and no requirement of soldiers to represent that purpose, then we have fragmentation and weakness.

The hard truth for supporters of our government is facing up to the hypocrisy and lies of a leadership that pretends to represent values but actually follows the direction of public opinion which changes day to day and is multi-polar.

Our current leaders don’t have a strong moral guiding post because they’re too afraid that such a post will be renounced by confused activists like Herbie who want to tear everything of value down.

I’d go further and say that most Canadians aren’t represented by government anymore because what most Canadians want and value — a healthy family, economic opportunity, freedom, and pride in their communities and country — is called colonial or retrograde by our own government.  Anyone who says what most people think is under threat of cancellation.

The Hardners and other retirees on here might not understand this.  Literally all of my organization’s goals are centred around equity activism.  People are forced under threat of unemployment and cancellation to say things they don’t believe publicly and few have the bravery and intellect to bring rational perspective to training discussion.  Our government and mainstream media are working against Canadian values.  In fact, Canadians are more confused, divided, and ashamed as a people than I’ve seen in my lifetime.  This is what happens when poor leadership fails to unify people around important values.

What are our government’s values?  Unlimited abortion and euthanasia rights?  Censorship of the internet? Shaming of Canada?  Free sex changes for kids? Insulting half the country for having “unacceptable views”?

In this context how can we return to caring about the important values that used to be top priority: supporting families, enhancing opportunity, strengthening the physical health of citizens and our military, protecting freedom and democracy, supporting the community?

Today it’s more important to recognize the self-made labels of the confused teen who wears a tail and identifies as a furry than it is to teach math, language, or science to them.  We’re actually destroying our young people by pretending that their whims should have priority over the skills, knowledge, and wisdom that they need to succeed.

Our civilization needs restoration but I’m not sure we can do it.  Russia and China see these vulnerabilities. Hopefully we still value liberal-democracy enough to defend it.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Moonbox and Herbie don’t have a valid critique of the speech, not on a single point.  Every single phrase of the speech was true and important.  The fact that anything he said would be considered in any way controversial only validates the speech’s content.

If there’s no unifying purpose of honour in the military and no requirement of soldiers to represent that purpose, then we have fragmentation and weakness.

The hard truth for supporters of our government is facing up to the hypocrisy and lies of a leadership that pretends to represent values but actually follows the direction of public opinion which changes day to day and is multi-polar.

Our current leaders don’t have a strong moral guiding post because they’re too afraid that such a post will be renounced by confused activists like Herbie who want to tear everything of value down.

I’d go further and say that most Canadians aren’t represented by government anymore because what most Canadians want and value — a healthy family, economic opportunity, freedom, and pride in their communities and country — is called colonial or retrograde by our own government.  Anyone who says what most people think is under threat of cancellation.

The Hardners and other retirees on here might not understand this.  Literally all of my organization’s goals are centred around equity activism.  People are forced under threat of unemployment and cancellation to say things they don’t believe publicly and few have the bravery and intellect to bring rational perspective to training discussion.  Our government and mainstream media are working against Canadian values.  In fact, Canadians are more confused, divided, and ashamed as a people than I’ve seen in my lifetime.  This is what happens when poor leadership fails to unify people around important values.

What are our government’s values?  Unlimited abortion and euthanasia rights?  Censorship of the internet? Shaming of Canada?  Free sex changes for kids? Insulting half the country for having “unacceptable views”?

In this context how can we return to caring about the important values that used to be top priority: supporting families, enhancing opportunity, strengthening the physical health of citizens and our military, protecting freedom and democracy, supporting the community?

Today it’s more important to recognize the self-made labels of the confused teen who wears a tail and identifies as a furry than it is to teach math, language, or science to them.  We’re actually destroying our young people by pretending that their whims should have priority over the skills, knowledge, and wisdom that they need to succeed.

Our civilization needs restoration but I’m not sure we can do it.  Russia and China see these vulnerabilities. Hopefully we still value liberal-democracy enough to defend it.

Rupa Subramanya: Canada's illiberal backsliding

It’s ironic that, by some measures, Canada, which we once assumed to be a bastion of liberal democracy, is becoming increasingly illiberal

Is Canada becoming an illiberal democracy?

That description is typically associated with developing countries such as India, or recent democracies such as Hungary, where right-of-centre governments are accused by western observers of democratic backsliding and an illiberal turn. It’s ironic, then, that, by some measures, Canada, which we once assumed to be a bastion of liberal democracy, is becoming increasingly illiberal.

Sure, we have a government that is ostensibly centre-left and claims to have a “progressive” and “inclusive” agenda. Yet it was the Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that invoked highly illiberal emergency powers during peacetime.

You would think that in a country in which many people, certainly many of the elites, profess liberal and progressive values, a lot of them would have been disturbed by last winter’s declaration of an emergency. Police forces acting under government orders broke up a peaceful protest in the nation’s capital, and the bank accounts of many innocent Canadians who participated in, or gave support to, the Freedom Convoy were frozen.

We recently learned through secret cabinet documents that Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland wanted individuals whose bank accounts had been frozen to be denied their cash until they reported to the police. The suggestion was not ultimately acted upon, but was made public in a redacted document shared with the Public Order Emergency Commission.

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

What is even more alarming is that the major banks were apparently pleased with this suggestion. One financial institution, Farm Credit Canada, a Crown corporation that provides financial services primarily to farms, went so far as to tell its employees to proactively and secretly record the names of customers who they suspected may have been involved with the convoy, according to a Blacklock’s Reporter story based on documents provided through an access to information request. This sounds more like communist East Germany, than India or Hungary.

But it’s not just the liberal elite who seem to be giving up on liberal values in Canada. A recent poll by Innovative Research Group found that 51 per cent of Canadians surveyed said that they supported the use of the Emergencies Act, which is actually up two per cent since February.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/canadas-illiberal-backsliding

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Women that have earned their spot to be in the Infantry or whatever combat arms position, have made it clear, they don't want anyone fussing over them, they know what the job is, and if you get in their way, they'll cut your balls off. there are dozens of female infanteers , both in the ranks or as officers so far most have earned, they're places alongside the men,

Thank you for that.

This is my friend, who was in Afghanistan.  The tank on the right is the one she took out, and she's holding the shell.  She took a bullet there, as well.

1496585607_myfriend.thumb.jpg.be69db50cf519aca0e4d87198f2518b2.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Where was I howling at the moon?  I merely agreed with you that this speech would be quickly dismissed and regarded as irrelevant and tone-deaf.  

Perhaps you could clarify all the things he outlined that were wrong with the actual military, rather than the shopping list of MAGA grievances that he checked off?  This isn't even really hyperbole.  Aside from claims of stolen elections, he pretty much ran the full program, including complaining about Hilary Clinton.  

I asked you to provide some examples of where you thought it was irrelevant, or tone deaf, but if you don't want to respond then fine. it is obvious you don't like the article, or maybe it is all in my head.

Sure if you want to take that route, I'd be glad to.   Not sure what ones are MAGA grievances, maybe you can outline all those in your response. I read the article a few time now, and have not found on reference to stolen elections, or Hilary Clinton. maybe you can point those out as well.

He does point out other remarks and challenges them like the woke culture, spilling paint on works of art, he also questions today's young Jouralism crowd, and todays mefirst culture. are any of those things you respect? He also talks about the holiday season and how we can all be more Generous to give to others not as fortunite and how we live in the best country in the world, i know words of a mad man, if he had a statue, we could tear it down. 

It may sound like my whole objective here is to make fun of you, but it is not i want to understand the other side of the story, what is it you don't like about the mans speech? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Moonbox and Herbie don’t have a valid critique of the speech, not on a single point.  Every single phrase of the speech was true and important.  The fact that anything he said would be considered in any way controversial only validates the speech’s content.

If there’s no unifying purpose of honour in the military and no requirement of soldiers to represent that purpose, then we have fragmentation and weakness.

The hard truth for supporters of our government is facing up to the hypocrisy and lies of a leadership that pretends to represent values but actually follows the direction of public opinion which changes day to day and is multi-polar.

Our current leaders don’t have a strong moral guiding post because they’re too afraid that such a post will be renounced by confused activists like Herbie who want to tear everything of value down.

I’d go further and say that most Canadians aren’t represented by government anymore because what most Canadians want and value — a healthy family, economic opportunity, freedom, and pride in their communities and country — is called colonial or retrograde by our own government.  Anyone who says what most people think is under threat of cancellation.

The Hardners and other retirees on here might not understand this.  Literally all of my organization’s goals are centred around equity activism.  People are forced under threat of unemployment and cancellation to say things they don’t believe publicly and few have the bravery and intellect to bring rational perspective to training discussion.  Our government and mainstream media are working against Canadian values.  In fact, Canadians are more confused, divided, and ashamed as a people than I’ve seen in my lifetime.  This is what happens when poor leadership fails to unify people around important values.

What are our government’s values?  Unlimited abortion and euthanasia rights?  Censorship of the internet? Shaming of Canada?  Free sex changes for kids? Insulting half the country for having “unacceptable views”?

In this context how can we return to caring about the important values that used to be top priority: supporting families, enhancing opportunity, strengthening the physical health of citizens and our military, protecting freedom and democracy, supporting the community?

Today it’s more important to recognize the self-made labels of the confused teen who wears a tail and identifies as a furry than it is to teach math, language, or science to them.  We’re actually destroying our young people by pretending that their whims should have priority over the skills, knowledge, and wisdom that they need to succeed.

Our civilization needs restoration but I’m not sure we can do it.  Russia and China see these vulnerabilities. Hopefully we still value liberal-democracy enough to defend it.

Well said.

I have to admit almost all of my motivation stems from my family and their future. A future I see being dimmed by a false sense of morality that reeks havoc and hardship.

We have a PM the Chinese know as "Little Potato" for cryin' out loud. This insanity has to be stopped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Christianity is anti-war.

That is true in the sense that nobody should start a war or attack others or cause a war.  But the statement by itself gives the impression that Christianity means one cannot defend himself or his country in a war.   That is incorrect.  I have already explained that the Bible/Christianity allows for police and military for self defence.  An individual has a right to defend himself and his family in any situation where they are in danger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Well said.

at this juncture, the cancer which once only infected DND, has now spread to the entire government

you are witnessing the collapse of federal government capacity across the board, in real time

the postmodernist Woke Marxist cult has infiltrated every institution

resulting in an utter obsession with race, gender & environmental doomsday, to the exclusion of all else

the Government of Canada itself has fallen to this lunatic Utopian cult

so you cannot rely on any institution in Canada anymore

least of all the military

all you can do is network with other like minded citizens

to train yourselves,

prepare for the coming collapse of civil order

circle the wagons with your neighbours

protect the women & children

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Army Guy, we are in agreement on most things. Where we differ is what constitutes a viable defence policy and the role of government as leader or executor of the will of the voters.

My references to Christian values in the conduct of war were a reply to Blackbird. Christianity is anti-war. I was not putting forward an argument to meet the enemy with hippies. 

Allies are not friends. An ally can, and will, turn on us when it benifits them.  A viable defence is one that can engage any nation and give the enemy assurance that in a war with Canada, their fate will be unimaginable horror and what does not turn to ash, we will turn into glass. 

The American people are a wonderful, generous people. The US government has historically been, to varying degrees, hostile to Canada. They are the only nation to invade Canada, and have done so on several occasions.  Currently, we have passible relations with the US government, but that is not a predictor of the future. Logistically. The US is the only nation that can invade Canada. Yes, the Russians could theoretically come over the pole but not in any strength. A war with Russia or China would be nuclear and there is nothing Canada can do about that.

A war with the United States would require Canada to have the ability to meet them with a superior conventional force. That is where the trillion dollar figure comes from. 

Since that is not feasable for at least a decade, our only strategy is to use what military we do have to organise and conduct a non-conventional war.

Canadians are woke and pacifist in peacetime. In wartime, they become the best soldiers possible.

Today, the role of government is that of an executor. They try to determine what the people want, and do what they can to provide it. Voters have varying demands and the job of government is to balance sometimes contradictory demands and form policy in response. It is not the role of government to tell the voters we need to spend more on defence. It is for the voters to tell the government what to do about defence. They are not enthusiastic about paying more for defence or they would be asking for it. 

I think it is not the best way to do things. I am a Monarchist. But it is unrealistic to expect the situation to change quickly. If it does change and Canadians demand an bigger and better military, it will be because we are at war. 

 

Our military is not only designed to carry our defensive operations of Canada, but it also exists to be the one of primary arms of foreign policy, the primary arm of all of our defensive pacts we have signed onto such as NATO, NORAD, 5 eyes etc.

Having nuclear weapons are as effective has having tits on a bull, using one anywhere on the globe will have global impacts that will impact any of our defense pacts, having a mass of radiation dumped over your nation, can be a declaration of war.  it will not stop a conventional war using conventional equipment. They can be used as a treat, but again there is world consequences to using one. Having a well modernized conventional force while more expensive has more utility, internationally, domestically, natural disasters etc... what does nuke give you, unless you want your name on the trophy of who ended all human existence.

Lets not forget who assisted with burning down the white house, so it works both ways here. Things would have to take a drastic turn global for the US to think of attacking us as a nation, having a few nukes is not going to deter that , it would just be a priority target for them, Canada even if it tripled it's conventional forces would not have the resources to defend the nation form any length of time. And with today's military status i'm confident it could be done in a couple of days if not overnight. 

A nation does not have to show up with force, like portrayed in Hollywood, this has been made very clear in history such as Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. total disruption is possible with very little manpower, shi* one snowstorm brought Toronto to its knees think what 30 well trained troops could do. Look what the FLQ did in Montreal. 

US is not our enemy here, and never will be, our countries are to Intergrated yes, it is possible but never going to happen, it would be like Canada having its own space agency and getting to the moon. 

One cannot look at the past and tell us our soldiers are going to be as good as they were. Different time, different people. it would take a lot of combat and a lot of their deaths to come close to yester years soldiers.

It seems our views of government reasonability's differ as well. 

Today's government gives to the people whatever it wants to, popular or not, think carbon tax was popular, were people in the streets demanding carbon taxes or they would revolt. think it was popular that Chinese police stations were in Canada, or they had interfered in our federal elections. There are plenty of things the government does to protect us on a daily basis a lot of them not even reported. so increasing our defense spending could be one of them and in 2 months we as a population would have forgotten all about it. 

What Canadians do not care to know is just what our military provides for them every day, and it is not all about preparing for war. But preventing it from reaching our shores.

They also forget the cost in lives that being unprepared for war costs, WW i , WWII, Korea. Canada will answer the call regardless, if you have one guy in a rowboat with a shotgun, hundreds of thousands will follow culled out the ranks of yes, the taxpayers' homes, government don't care they will get their numbers and they will pay because they have no experienced soldiers to train them, to show them how to survive. They learn the hard way right, your life means squat to the government, you'll get a text telling you your son been killed in battle you'll cry, buy them then cry some more, at least we never wasted any of that taxpayer's money. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

In this context how can we return to caring about the important values that used to be top priority: supporting families, enhancing opportunity, strengthening the physical health of citizens and our military, protecting freedom and democracy, supporting the community?

by the light over Damascus upon the road to Calvary

Jesus of Nazareth our vindicator

come like a stranger in the night at our darkest hours

the sacred individual from whom all our natural rights derive

not metaphor

a supernatural force, the power of Christ compels us

glory, glory,  hallelujah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Rupa Subramanya: Canada's illiberal backsliding

It’s ironic that, by some measures, Canada, which we once assumed to be a bastion of liberal democracy, is becoming increasingly illiberal

Is Canada becoming an illiberal democracy?

That description is typically associated with developing countries such as India, or recent democracies such as Hungary, where right-of-centre governments are accused by western observers of democratic backsliding and an illiberal turn. It’s ironic, then, that, by some measures, Canada, which we once assumed to be a bastion of liberal democracy, is becoming increasingly illiberal.

Sure, we have a government that is ostensibly centre-left and claims to have a “progressive” and “inclusive” agenda. Yet it was the Liberal government of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that invoked highly illiberal emergency powers during peacetime.

You would think that in a country in which many people, certainly many of the elites, profess liberal and progressive values, a lot of them would have been disturbed by last winter’s declaration of an emergency. Police forces acting under government orders broke up a peaceful protest in the nation’s capital, and the bank accounts of many innocent Canadians who participated in, or gave support to, the Freedom Convoy were frozen.

We recently learned through secret cabinet documents that Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland wanted individuals whose bank accounts had been frozen to be denied their cash until they reported to the police. The suggestion was not ultimately acted upon, but was made public in a redacted document shared with the Public Order Emergency Commission.

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

What is even more alarming is that the major banks were apparently pleased with this suggestion. One financial institution, Farm Credit Canada, a Crown corporation that provides financial services primarily to farms, went so far as to tell its employees to proactively and secretly record the names of customers who they suspected may have been involved with the convoy, according to a Blacklock’s Reporter story based on documents provided through an access to information request. This sounds more like communist East Germany, than India or Hungary.

But it’s not just the liberal elite who seem to be giving up on liberal values in Canada. A recent poll by Innovative Research Group found that 51 per cent of Canadians surveyed said that they supported the use of the Emergencies Act, which is actually up two per cent since February.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/canadas-illiberal-backsliding

 

I’m not surprised because we barely have a free press in Canada now.  When media depend so heavily on government funding it’s hard not to become a communications branch of the government.  The Liberals are so entrenched in so many of our largest organizations — even the head of the inquiry, even the justice system — that there are few checks on this overbearing government.  When even the US left sees the overreach, you know we’re living in a bubble.  I don’t know how outlets like the Toronto Star can call themselves journalistic anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

at this juncture, the cancer which once only infected DND, has now spread to the entire government

you are witnessing the collapse of federal government capacity across the board, in real time

the postmodernist Woke Marxist cult has infiltrated every institution

resulting in an utter obsession with race, gender & environmental doomsday, to the exclusion of all else

the Government of Canada itself has fallen to this lunatic Utopian cult

so you cannot rely on any institution in Canada anymore

least of all the military

all you can do is network with other like minded citizens

to train yourselves,

prepare for the coming collapse of civil order

circle the wagons with your neighbours

protect the women & children

You’re correct.  The people in charge of our institutions don’t run them anymore. The substantive work is carried out further down the food chain.  The game at the top now using the right woke language, preserving your position, and offloading as much labour as possible.  I’m not saying that there aren’t exceptions, but that’s what they are.  The fact that this competent leader is immediately defamed by media says it all.  Competence is now frowned upon and dismissed as “oppression.”

Pol Pot had his most competent people shot because he knew they would question and push back.  We can only hope that, like in Cambodia, eventually the incompetent rulers bring themselves down through dysfunction.

Also, there are smart people behind Trudeau setting themselves up.  Freeland is one.  I just hope the public remembers what a wannabe tyrant she is.  Trudeau has ridden on his name, image, and media sympathy.  Every time the government comes under scrutiny the fear propaganda restarts about “far right extremism”.  I just expect it now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,418
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    stevenwilson
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • ironstone went up a rank
      Grand Master
    • reason10 went up a rank
      Veteran
    • Manymoons11 earned a badge
      First Post
    • LTJ earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • akayy earned a badge
      One Month Later
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...