To lost brothers.

Army Guy

5 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Today i raised my glass of beer to lost brothers, and sisters, I sat around a table full of comrades where we told war stories, most of them funny, some of them sad. and how bad we all miss them. 

This Remembrance Day was different i took with me a good friend of mine, son, he turned 19 this year, his dad was killed not far from me in a fire fight, he has been bugging me to bring him along for a long time now, he's been wanting to meet all his dads' friends, and since we live all across Canada and only meet up once or twice a year, i finally said yes... anyways he learned what his dad was like, what kind of man he was , and how good of a soldier he was. it was a time he'll never forget, like everyone he drank way too much, his mother is pissed at me for bringing him home in that condition, but she'll get over it, I hope. 

Remembrance Day is not only for those that have passed on, but let's also include those that have been left behind let's not forget their pain and suffering .

To those that did not come home cheers.

To those that got left behind cheers. 

May we never forget you. 

cheers to you, brother

we all look up to you

we will never forget you,

we will never forget what you have sacrificed for the regiment

you are the consummate professional, the very model of a Royal Canadian Regiment infantryman

God bless you & your kin

Victoria Regina Imperatrix

Pro Patria

:toasts:

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Today i raised my glass of beer to lost brothers, and sisters, I...

This Remembrance Day was different i took with me a good friend of mine, son, he turned 19 this year, his dad was killed not far from me in a fire fight, he has been bugging me to bring him along for a long time now, he's been wanting to meet all his dads' friends, and since we live all across Canada and only meet up once or twice a year, i finally said yes... anyways he learned what his dad was like, what kind of man he was , and how good of a soldier he was. it was a time he'll never forget, like everyone he drank way too much, his mother is pissed at me for bringing him home in that condition, but she'll get over it, I hope. 

Remembrance Day is not only for those that have passed on, but let's also include those that have been left behind let's not forget their pain and suffering .

To those that did not come home cheers.

To those that got left behind cheers. 

May we never forget you. 

Kudos to you for taking that young man to the ceremony. Glad he could hear the stories and how much serving members think and respect his father and those that gave their lives for their Country.

This year I went to  the ceremony at Beechwood. A truly respectful and sombre place for Remembrance Day.

Remembrance Day is also to appreciate and thank all those that have served and ares till serving.

May we never forget them.

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Kudos to you for taking that young man to the ceremony. Glad he could hear the stories and how much serving members think and respect his father and those that gave their lives for their Country.

This year I went to  the ceremony at Beechwood. A truly respectful and sombre place for Remembrance Day.

Remembrance Day is also to appreciate and thank all those that have served and ares till serving.

May we never forget them.

I've been putting it off now for a long time, up until his mother got remarried, i was sort of filling in when i could, he's a good kid, and deserved much more than i gave him, His stepfather is in the military, and he is a good man, he's got no choice really, the regiment would bury him in the back forty if he had mistreated them. treats he like his own. I still try and make an effort to be in his life, he is so much like his old man that sometimes it hurts to visit him.  

I had to discuss it with all my comrades', some of which have PTSD hard, and just talking about the war can bring back some very bad memories, myself included, so sometimes these meeting turn into something else, fights, or emotional break downs, and tons of laughter remembering all the stupid funny stuff we did together. Our group is pretty tight, a few did not want the kid to see all the behind the scenes that Achol makes come out.

But he took it like a champ. He knew what topics to stay away from, or i would change the subject before it really took hold. I hope to one day take my son to one of these get togethers soon. 

We don't go to any official ceremony, some of the guys don't like crowds, and are easily set off, PTSD can make you an a$$hole pretty quick and some in our group still have it pretty hard. A buddy has a 4-car garage, with a man cave upstairs, so we meet up there and have our own ceremony so to speak. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

cheers to you, brother

we all look up to you

we will never forget you,

we will never forget what you have sacrificed for the regiment

you are the consummate professional, the very model of a Royal Canadian Regiment infantryman

God bless you & your kin

Victoria Regina Imperatrix

Pro Patria

:toasts:

I'm just like any other Infantry soldier, just trying to wake up to another day, trying not to sweat the small stuff, not always successful at that, but i do try. No different than you or the next guy in the ranks. I suffered no less, and no more than any soldier in the Regiment. I will raise a glass of beer to those who did not come back, whether physically or mentally.

Pro patria.

8 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I'm just like any other Infantry soldier, just trying to wake up to another day, trying not to sweat the small stuff, not always successful at that, but i do try. No different than you or the next guy in the ranks. I suffered no less, and no more than any soldier in the Regiment. I will raise a glass of beer to those who did not come back, whether physically or mentally.

Pro patria.

oh I know you are humble in the face of the Almighty

but 35 years in the RCR

multiple tours in Yugoslavia

three combat tours in Afghanistan

that's an extraordinary career by any measure

well above & beyond the call of duty

so I drink a toast to you as well

Bravo Zulu

Dileas

November 11th has passed for another year

yet still now this morning, I remember

now I remember by great grandfather

I have his photo here on my desk, just another face in the ranks

B Company, 72nd ( Overseas ) Battalion, The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada

fought in every battle from Second Ypres, through the Hundred Days, to Mons on the last day of the war

stood upon Vimy Ridge with the Canadian Corps

died young of lung disease, from inhaling the gas at Second Ypres

every day is remembrance day

Cuidich 'n Righ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

November 11th has passed for another year

yet still now this morning, I remember

now I remember by great grandfather

I have his photo here on my desk, just another face in the ranks

B Company, 72nd ( Overseas ) Battalion, The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada

fought in every battle from Second Ypres, through the Hundred Days, to Mons on the last day of the war

stood upon Vimy Ridge with the Canadian Corps

died young of lung disease, from inhaling the gas at Second Ypres

every day is remembrance day

Cuidich 'n Righ

I cannot imagine what it would be like to fight in that war, at least in our wars we could escape, or move on to the next operation. those guys needed balls of steel to go over the top, and a huge mental health reserve to cope with the horrors they must have seen. These guys set the standard of what it means to be infantry, one day i hope to sit down in the afterlife at a table full of these guys and share a keg of beer. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I cannot imagine what it would be like to fight in that war, at least in our wars we could escape, or move on to the next operation. those guys needed balls of steel to go over the top, and a huge mental health reserve to cope with the horrors they must have seen. These guys set the standard of what it means to be infantry, one day i hope to sit down in the afterlife at a table full of these guys and share a keg of beer. 

Not just over the top, but much of the trench war involved vigorous underground mining operations by both sides. Some of the biggest pre-atomic era explosions were the results.

lochnagar-crater-somme-france-wwi-1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org//wiki/Mines_in_the_Battle_of_Messines_(1917)

Edited by DogOnPorch

yet then I fast forward to Afghanistan

Warrant Officer Rick Nolan having to lead an attack against an entrenched enemy

driving in a G-Wagon

he's killed in the opening volley by an RPG-7 right through the window

then Warrant Officer Frank Mellish going forward on foot, to recover Rick's body

cut down by another RPG-7

that is the Forlorn Hope

that is being sent over the top to your certain death

just as tragically valorous as anything faced in the First World War