China has infiltrated the federal government

11 hours ago, blackbird said:

This is nothing new.  I am sure with the security services the federal government should have been advised about this for years.  Why they chose to do nothing about it is the question.  Trudeau did express an admiration for the Chinese Communist system.  

A book was written in 2019 by Jonathan Manthorpe called "Claws of the Panda - Beijing's Campaign of Influence and Intimidation in Canada".

Canada has had a long relationship with the People's Republic of China.  First based on missionaries who travelled from Canada to China beginning in the 19th century and through the 20th century.  The book says Canada has misjudged the reality and potential of the relationship.  I believe liberals including the left generally have a rose-coloured vision of China and our relationship with it.  They are very misguided in their thinking.

How does standing up to China get him more votes?  If the public doesn't know it's happening and therefore it's not making him less popular he's going to give a crap.  Been 8 years, we know how the guy works.

He's not in this for his country, he's in this for himself.  He's in it for the attention and the power and the glory and seeing himself on the news every day.  He's a narcissist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

How does standing up to China get him more votes?  If the public doesn't know it's happening and therefore it's not making him less popular he's going to give a crap.  Been 8 years, we know how the guy works.

He's not in this for his country, he's in this for himself.  He's in it for the attention and the power and the glory and seeing himself on the news every day.  He's a narcissist.

We only have to look at Trudeau's and the Minister of Foreign Affairs comments to see they are weak and meaningless.  China could care less.  It will continue to be business as usual with practically no changes in Canada to protect our democracy.   The leader of the opposition, Pierre Polievre, has demanded action, but we will see what happens.  I am not holding my breath.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Why you take his persona so personally is a head shaker to me.  These politicians are figureheads.  If you dislike them so viscerally, do you like some of them too?

Strange.

As for global trade, the centrist parties embraced it for twenty years for good reason.  But they're now "friendshoring" for good reason.

One thing that stands out for me is smug second guessing mixed with economic nationalism. That ere are trade offs to everything.  What many anti-globalist types are proposing, in effect, is increased government intervention in the economy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Canada is economically beholden to China at this point, so there is not much room to manoeuvre. Canada also depends on them for certain essential products, like hospital supplies, PPE and drugs, to name a few.

Once upon a time Canada had a very strong relationship with the USA. As China began to ramp up its industrial capability, their so-called great leap forward, Canada increasingly shifted its trade towards China. Globalists touted the benefits of "free trade" would bring us closer to world peace, bridge the divide between east and west. Others saw this as a lie, it amounted to exploitation of the Chinese people and essentially, making a deal with the devil, that increasing China's power and influence would only make them stronger, and the communist party leadership are not to be trusted.

I read that today Canada gets like 90% of its drugs from China. We make very little medication here. Now there is a terrible shortage of children's medication, without much explanation why this has happened, nor any mention of someone having a plan to do something about it,

IE where is the goddam government, is this not their thing. You would think so.

I'll tell you where they are... this week Trudeau's reps walked away from the premiers meeting in BC, held to discuss the health care crisis. The man was too busy to attend, and after those shenanigans, clearly not interested in talking about it.

He does have the time though to attend and be on a drag queen TV show.

Those acting skills really come through when you need them, I tell you.

But now I hear my friends can cross the US border, and buy all the meds that their babies need. Seems the US has enough supply, but not Canada.

Why exactly izzit?

I say 1 + 1 = 2 ...

Canadians need to connect the dots.

Figure out where the Venn diagram intersects...

;)

If you are correct, I would be concerned about Canada receiving 90% of its drugs from China.   Considering the inferior quality of a lot of products from China, it may not be a wise idea.  I would be concerned that medications from China are not being screened and checked properly.  I doubt if it is even possible to check medications coming into Canada, certainly not all medications.  The government could randomly check some but that would be a very small amount.  This could be serious for people with serious medical problems who depend on quality medications.

I might have to talk to my pharmacist about this.

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Canada is economically beholden to China at this point, so there is not much room to manoeuvre. Canada also depends on them for certain essential products, like hospital supplies, PPE and drugs, to name a few.

Once upon a time Canada had a very strong relationship with the USA. As China began to ramp up its industrial capability, their so-called great leap forward, Canada increasingly shifted its trade towards China. Globalists touted the benefits of "free trade" would bring us closer to world peace, bridge the divide between east and west. Others saw this as a lie, it amounted to exploitation of the Chinese people and essentially, making a deal with the devil, that increasing China's power and influence would only make them stronger, and the communist party leadership are not to be trusted.

I read that today Canada gets like 90% of its drugs from China. We make very little medication here. Now there is a terrible shortage of children's medication, without much explanation why this has happened, nor any mention of someone having a plan to do something about it,

I'll tell you where they are... this week Trudeau's reps walked away from the premiers meeting in BC, held to discuss the health care crisis. The man was too busy to attend, and after those shenanigans, clearly not interested in talking about it.

But now I hear my friends can cross the US border, and buy all the meds that their babies need. Seems the US has enough supply, but not Canada.

Why exactly izzit?

I say 1 + 1 = 2 ...

;)

This law firm website says 80% or more generic drugs are manufactured in China.

There has been a problem with at least one drug called Valsartan, which I take, and it is manufactured in China.

"Valsartan is a commonly-prescribed drug for high blood pressure and heart failure. Authorities in the US and worldwide have recalled more than half of all Valsartan on the market because it was contaminated with a cancer-causing chemical called NDMA."

The article says some patients are taking legal action.

There is nothing I can do about it, because I do not know exactly if what I receive is contaminated, what the risks are, and what the alternative is.  It is a critical heart medication.  I doubt if the doctor knows anything about this and I am sure he doesn't have the time to look into it or find alternatives if there is any.

Valsartan Manufacturers - Who Makes & Distributes The Drug? (shouselaw.com)

Your post made me look into where this drug comes from..

Oh, I just read further down and found the Valsartan is in Entresto, which is what I take but Entresto has not been recalled by the FDA.   I may be ok with continuing to take Entresto.

All this drug business is a money-making thing for pharma companies and law firms and lawyers.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Why you take his persona so personally is a head shaker to me.  These politicians are figureheads.  If you dislike them so viscerally, do you like some of them too?.

2. As for global trade, the centrist parties embraced it for twenty years for good reason.  But they're now "friendshoring" for good reason.

3. One thing that stands out for me is smug second guessing mixed with economic nationalism. That ere are trade offs to everything.  What many anti-globalist types are proposing, in effect, is increased government intervention in the economy.

1. It's not his personality so much as his values.  If he's the PM and his values are largely self-serving then he's not good for the country.  Canada's highest office shouldn't be a vehicle for someone to feed their ego because daddy didn't give them enough attention.  If I find an MP who is in it to serve their country over serving themselves I'll let you know, might be a long wait.  The Liberal caucus sided with JT over JWR because JT had been a winner for them, 'nuff said.

2. The big parties in Canada and the US are in the pockets of the big corporations and neoliberalism is fantastic for them but not so good for workers and in the case of China, national security.  I've never been a big fan of neoliberalism.  And the west has known for decades that they were enriching a beast in China, but it was good for corporate profits and GDP so why would they care?  Who knows how many palms the CCP has greased within our legislators, and enough of these careerist traitors in Parliament take it.

3.  If certain trade is a threat to national security then sure the government should step in.  China intervenes all the time in their own economy.  You can label it whatever you wish.

17 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Why exactly izzit?

I say 1 + 1 = 2 ...

;)

the feeble Government of Canada will not save us

now is the time to draw upon the strength of our grandfathers & great grandfathers before us

from Queenston Heights to Ridgeway, from Ypres to Mons, from Hong Kong to Dieppe

the story of our people

a Scots German Empire to find a Northwest Passage

at the cost of many men

tracing one warm line through a land so wild and savage

to race the roaring Fraser to the sea

• Like 3

7 hours ago, blackbird said:

Your post made me look into where this drug comes from..

We all learn so much from participating here, it's a fantastic resource.

I'm glad if the info helps you make informed decisions, and hope your meds aren't contaminated! I would tell my doctor anyway.

- Look if there is a class-action lawsuit, you might be able to join.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the feeble Government of Canada will not save us

now is the time to draw upon the strength of our grandfathers & great grandfathers before us

from Queenston Heights to Ridgeway, from Ypres to Mons, from Hong Kong to Dieppe

the story of our people

a Scots German Empire to find a Northwest Passage

at the cost of many men

tracing one warm line through a land so wild and savage

to race the roaring Fraser to the sea

Now we know what our forefathers meant, and commanded unto their sons when they said, "We stand on guard for thee".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:48 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9253386/canadian-intelligence-warned-pm-trudeau-that-china-covertly-funded-2019-election-candidates-sources/

This report also reiterates the CCP efforts in Canada in Operation Fox Hunt:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-csis-warns-chinas-operation-fox-hunt-is-targeting-canadas-chinese/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fox_Hunt

So what are the feds doing about this?  Where is the legislation?  Are foreign agents being removed from these legislator offices?

The latest that i hears is that the Chinese communists have a police office in Ontario somewhere. What the hell is that all about? This Marxist dictator in Ottawa gets more dangerous to Canada and Canadians every day. This Marxist has already said that he admires Chinese communism, and I know that he is trying very hard to bring Chinese like credit score system communism to Canada. The Marxist loves China and he a a prodigy of the WEF. What more do we need to know that this buffoon is a danger to freedom loving Canada and Canadians. This buffoon has to go now. Works for me. LOL.

Edited by taxme
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Now we know what our forefathers meant, and commanded unto their sons when they said, "We stand on guard for thee".

It would appear as though our dear political father and mother leaders in Ottawa today do not want to stand on guard for thee Canada any longer. It's seems more like they are trying to tear Canada down. 

I am so glad that we have a new conservative leader in Ottawa that appears to want to make Canada great again. But that will never happen until this misfit of a Marxist dictator of ours is removed from his dictators chair. 

Our soldiers did not go off to war to end up watching their beloved country being turned into a third world communist hell hole. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

1. It's not his personality so much as his values.  If he's the PM and his values are largely self-serving then he's not good for the country.  Canada's highest office shouldn't be a vehicle for someone to feed their ego because daddy didn't give them enough attention.  If I find an MP who is in it to serve their country over serving themselves I'll let you know, might be a long wait.  The Liberal caucus sided with JT over JWR because JT had been a winner for them, 'nuff said.

2. The big parties in Canada and the US are in the pockets of the big corporations and neoliberalism is fantastic for them but not so good for workers and in the case of China, national security.  I've never been a big fan of neoliberalism.  And the west has known for decades that they were enriching a beast in China, but it was good for corporate profits and GDP so why would they care?  Who knows how many palms the CCP has greased within our legislators, and enough of these careerist traitors in Parliament take it.

3.  If certain trade is a threat to national security then sure the government should step in.  China intervenes all the time in their own economy.  You can label it whatever you wish.

1. What is the evidence of this deep personality assessment?

2. Canada and the US have vastly different landscapes in this area.

3. I agree, but many in here go further than that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackbird said:

If you are correct, I would be concerned about Canada receiving 90% of its drugs from China.   Considering the inferior quality of a lot of products from China, it may not be a wise idea. 

Don't worry. We get a lot from India too! And you know how honest and clean those guys are.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

upon the beach at Dieppe

the Canadian boys charged to the seawall, trying to climb the steps

cut down on three sides by MG42's

every day is remembrance day

dieppe-dead-soldiers-wall-bundesarciv-10

Unbelievably tragic.  It looks like it was hopeless.  Wonder what happened to those who ordered that operation.  Seems like that kind of thing was common in the wars.

9 hours ago, blackbird said:

Unbelievably tragic.  It looks like it was hopeless.  Wonder what happened to those who ordered that operation.  Seems like that kind of thing was common in the wars.

it was an ULTRA secret operation to capture an ENIGMA machine at German navy HQ in Dieppe

it had to be done in a way that the Germans would not realize that ENIGMA was the intended target

so a much larger raid had to be staged to cover for the ULTRA secret operation for the code breakers

for Alan Turing and his "computing machine" at Bletchley Park

breaking the codes is how the Allies went on to win the Second World War

although that was not publicly disclosed until thirty years later

the Canadians were supposed to come ashore with air support under cover of darkness

but things went wrong, and they were forced to come ashore without support in daylight

capturing the ENIGMA machine was the highest priority, the mission that came before the men

out of 4,963 Canadians embarked, 916 were killed, 2,460 were wounded, 1,946 taken prisoner

as to what happened to those who ordered the operation ?

well, that was Lord Louis Mountbatten, the Queen's cousin, who went on to be Viceroy of India

he was assassinated by the IRA when they blew up his boat in 1979

the other man in charge was Ian Fleming

he went on to be an author, writing books about a secret agent named James Bond

Edited by Dougie93
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 10:37 AM, Contrarian said:

The New York Times has a contrarian article. 

Justin Trudeau’s Government Sharpens Criticism of China

Mr. Trudeau and his cabinet ministers are calling on democracies to increasingly turn their backs on China and other autocratic nations.

But the criticism of China didn’t end there. Later in the week, Mélanie Joly, the foreign minister, called China an “increasingly disruptive global power.”

She also had a warning.

“What I would like to say to Canadians doing business in and with China: You need to be cleareyed,” Ms. Joly said. “As Canada’s top diplomat, my job is to tell you that there are geopolitical risks linked to doing business with the country.”

Also this week, François-Philippe Champagne, the industry minister, ordered three Chinese companies to divest their ownership stakes in Canadian companies that mine lithium and other scarce, increasingly in-demand minerals for things like electric car batteries.

Mr. Trudeau came to office promising to repair relations with China. Under Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative government, those relations had become badly frayed to, in the view of many in Canada’s business community, the detriment of trade relations.

But the current government’s reversal on relations with China has been firmly entrenched since December 2018, when the Chinese government jailed Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig, two Canadians in China, shortly after Canada had arrested Meng Wanzhou, a Chinese telecommunications executive, in Vancouver, at the request of the United States government.

During the 1,030-day standoff that followed, Mr. Trudeau and his cabinet ministers were circumspect when it came to criticizing China, apparently fearing that it might endanger the two Canadians. But after the hostage-taking ended, the government has been gradually building up to a more aggressive stance.

Full Article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/12/world/canada/justin-trudeau-china.html

Lord love a duck.  It was Trudeau’s soft on China approach that got us in bed with China, including on 5G. The US move on Meng forced the issue on Canada’s loyalties.  Harper was wise to be hawkish on China. Trudeau is the teacher who starts off too permissive with the class then realizes he has to tighten up, but he doesn’t have China’s respect.  Harper did.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

This is another manifestation of taking Trudeau personally, thinking you know him and so on.  When it comes to the bureaucracy, the legal system and ESPECIALLY national security we have no idea what is going on other than the very bare facts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

This is another manifestation of taking Trudeau personally, thinking you know him and so on.  When it comes to the bureaucracy, the legal system and ESPECIALLY national security we have no idea what is going on other than the very bare facts.

Really?  It seems pretty clear what happened here.  This gov wasn't doing enough about CSIS reports of serious CCP espionage and foreign influence concerns infiltrating our federal government and democratic processes so CSIS got fed up and leaked the story to the press.  Why else would they leak it?  Then within a week the RCMP makes an arrest and makes it public to the press, the first public Chinese espionage arrest I can remember since 2019 when the Chinese scientists (who received an award from the GG ?) were escorted from the national virus lab in Winnipeg.

This government should not need CSIS leaks and NGO leaks about CCP "police stations" in Canada used to intimidate Canadians before they act on very serious national security issues.  This government is incompetent.  CSIS is doing its job and this gov is not doing theirs.

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Lord love a duck.  It was Trudeau’s soft on China approach that got us in bed with China, including on 5G. The US move on Meng forced the issue on Canada’s loyalties.  Harper was wise to be hawkish on China. Trudeau is the teacher who starts off too permissive with the class then realizes he has to tighten up, but he doesn’t have China’s respect.  Harper did.

Harper wasn't hawkish, he was taking panda gifts from the CCP and licking their boots while selling of our natural resources to them.