As a political and news junkie, I know right away when something new is trending.

Sources will be from all over, mostly mainstream, they are calculated by number of views (been using the same online application for years).

Feel free to take from these short alerts and make a thread from it upstairs for a proper discussion if you want. 

A daily summary will also be posted in my thread. 

If you have your own breaking news post away.

Breaking News now:

Official: Pakistan’s ex-PM Imran Khan wounded in gun attack

(The Hill). 

The Bank of England raised its key interest rate by 0.75 percentage point, its largest increase since 1989

(Wall Street Journal).

Edited by Contrarian

1 hour ago, Contrarian said:

Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid concedes to Benjamin Netanyahu, who has secured the majority in Israel's election. 

(Reuters).

Netanyahu's primary objective will be to get the law changed so sitting prime ministers can't be arrested and made to sit through criminal trials - like the one he's due for. Everything else will be sacrificed to that objective. Including giving the Jewish Taliban party whatever they want.

The Jewish Taliban, whose members avoid serving in the military or police (or holding jobs) have demanded they be given control of the military and police. And they and Netenyahu both want more government control over the courts.

Edited by I am Groot

1 minute ago, Contrarian said:

These channels need to clean house every once in a while after the number of ridiculous lies their talking heads told gets too high. 

• Haha 1

Not so much breaking news as just the same old story, but CNN still in the toilet with regards to ratings.

All the major networks do it to some degree, the overuse of the "breaking news" headlines to sometimes build up nothingburger news stories. It seems to me the actual number of viewers that they pull in is much lower than a couple of decades ago. The small number of viewers is news in itself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ironstone said:

news stories

CNN and FOX are not news, they are opinion. Me, personally, on this thread, the only way I would use these 2 institutions is if I get confirmation that the story was picked-up somewhere else and some time has passed. Add Salon and Breitbart there,"news" websites. 

Europe is not really like this.  They have their BIAS but news is news. DW, France24, SkyNews, at least when there is news I don't constantly need to doubt if I am being brainwashed or not.

We are all brainwashed, but some have the decency to respect their profession along the way. 

Edited by Contrarian

Oprah, who helped Mehmet Oz establish TV following, endorses Fetterman in Senate race (Pennsylvania). 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/11/04/oprah-endorses-fetterman-over-dr-oz-pennsylvania-senate-race/8264954001/

Edited by Contrarian

John Fetterman in 2018; "I don't support fracking and I never have".

Breaking news: John Fetterman 2022. “I do support fracking,” Fetterman said, before pausing, then adding, “I support fracking, and I stand, and I do support fracking.”

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ironstone said:

John Fetterman in 2018; "I don't support fracking and I never have".

Breaking news: John Fetterman 2022. “I do support fracking,” Fetterman said, before pausing, then adding, “I support fracking, and I stand, and I do support fracking.”

Weren't you promoting a recreational gambling website around here? =).

Who's winning Pennsylvania on that website? Curiosity. 

@robosmith@Hodad@Rebound@reason10maybe our American friends will have more information too.  

Edited by Contrarian

1 minute ago, Contrarian said:

Weren't you promoting a recreational gambling website around here? =).

Who's winning Pennsylvania on that website? 

@robosmith@Hodad@Rebound@reason10@Beavermaybe our American friends will have more information. 

I wasn't promoting a gambling website so much as providing a link to John Stossel's interesting story on what the gamblers are putting their money on. Fetterman can certainly win in his race, as can many other Democrats in spite of not being able to actually run on their record. Anomalies can and do happen in elections.

8 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I wasn't promoting a gambling website so much as providing a link to John Stossel's interesting story on what the gamblers are putting their money on. Fetterman can certainly win in his race, as can many other Democrats in spite of not being able to actually run on their record. Anomalies can and do happen in elections.

Yes, je sais, that website actually was on reason.com too. He used to work for reason.com too at one point. 

I don't know, I think the way Biden spoke, that was him trying to fill some holes in my opinion. I don't think the data is good to what is coming.

Still don't see what the big deal is. Obama and Bush lost midterms too. I remember Bush stumbling one time after one midterm saying -> "Why the glum faces?". 

Edited by Contrarian

Musk blames “activist groups” for the pushback he’s received from advertisers, after a group of more than 40 organizations on sent a letter urging Twitter’s top 20 advertisers to “cease all advertising” on the platform if Musk rolls back on moderation practices—saying the groups prompted a “massive drop in revenue.”

He also admits trying to back out of the deal previously.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2022/11/04/nothing-has-worked-musk-laments-loss-of-twitter-advertisers-and-acknowledges-trying-to-back-out-of-deal/

Edited by Contrarian

Tiffany Cross Out at MSNBC as Channel Cancels Weekend Show. 

The last straw was the latest episode in which the host said the following: "Let’s castrate Florida".

https://nypost.com/2022/11/04/controversial-anchor-tiffany-cross-is-out-at-msnbc

@reason10

Edited by Contrarian