Ontario: Back in Black

After McWynnty, I never thought I'd see the day where Ontario could balance its books. And this after all the COVID BS and DoFo deciding to scrap License Plate Fees. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-surplus-public-accounting-1.6593362

Ontario ended the last fiscal year with a $2.1-billion surplus — a far cry from the $33-billion deficit projected in the budget — thanks to inflation and stronger economic growth, officials said Friday.

The surplus is a result of revenues that were 20 per cent higher than the 2021 budget forecast, largely coming from taxes, due to higher-than-expected inflation and nominal GDP growth more than five points higher than the average private sector forecast at the time of the budget, the government said as it released its public accounts.

I'm sure this will give Public Service Unions all the fuel they need to ask for pay raises that will send us right back to deficit spending.

Inflation has artificially boosted revenue for many businesses, so why would governments not be the same? They're collecting Sales Taxes on all these inflated prices. But DoFo's government has also been good at giving some of that money back. 

Edited by Boges

25 minutes ago, PIK said:

Teachers unions need to be replaced. I know many that worked at schools and none of then needed to go to food banks as the NDP said today.

You have stumbled onto a topic and immediately posted a mistake.  Go back and try again.

Teachers aren't in a contract conflict today it's Education Support workers.  I know a few, and the pay is a bit over $40K.  

https://www.cp24.com/news/here-s-how-much-average-rental-prices-were-across-the-gta-in-july-1.6042212?cache=yes%3FclipId%3D68597

This says a 2 bedroom is $2700/month in Toronto and $40K pay means you bring home less than that.

Edited by Michael Hardner

The feds and provinces are now runnign surpluses.  I can't actually accept that it's because they are actually responsible.  Maybe they've saved a ton of cash on office supplies because lots of public servants are working from home.

Apparently public servants were stealing billions in pens, notebooks, and office chairs ?

27 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Responsible for choking services to levels inadequacy and pushing good workers out of their industries.

Our governments are so bloated with self-serving folks who care about their own interests more than serving their country.  So many are apathetic to real issues in gov affecting this country.

We have reached an age of decadence and apathy and self-interest that's destroying our countries.  Where's the patriots anymore?  They're 99 years old living in long-term care and their health needs are being ignored by our governments who would rather push funding to something that gets them re-elected than push funding to dementia-laden folks.

Military recruitment is at dangerously low levels.  The kids don't give a f***, the boomers don't give a f***, the yuppies in our ruling party don't give a f***.

They didn't teach us our history, they teach us to feel ashamed of what we've done, they ask nothing of us and we ask them to spend debt-money so they can take care of us.  At least Ontarians booted Wynne even though Wynne promised lots of freebies in a desperate last bid to bribe us with our own money, the treacherous wench.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you"

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You have stumbled onto a topic and immediately posted a mistake.  Go back and try again.

Teachers aren't in a contract conflict today it's Education Support workers.  I know a few, and the pay is a bit over $40K.  

https://www.cp24.com/news/here-s-how-much-average-rental-prices-were-across-the-gta-in-july-1.6042212?cache=yes%3FclipId%3D68597

This says a 2 bedroom is $2700/month in Toronto and $40K pay means you bring home less than that.

It's janitors as I understand it. Not that 40k is enough for a family but I'm a bit more concerned with the plight of the Ontario nurses than I am the plight of the janitors.

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

I wasn’t the one complaining about low military recruitment and people not giving a fuc%.  

Did you give enough fuc%s to join the army?

Well no let's focus on you actually.  Why didn't you join the military?  Are you just lazy or a free-rider?  Why do you hate your country?

If you don't want stupid questions then don't ask them yourself.

5 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Well no let's focus on you actually.  Why didn't you join the military?  Are you just lazy or a free-rider?  Why do you hate your country?

If you don't want stupid questions then don't ask them yourself.

So you think we need more military volunteers, but people don’t care enough….   but that doesn’t apply to you?  Why not?

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sorry - I misread it.  Schools are closing on Friday BECAUSE he is passing the Notwithstanding legislation.

And that would be illegal. 

School Boards have said they will be forced to close if support workers Strike. That can't happen. Do binding arbitration, they're not worth 11%. 

Edited by Boges

1 minute ago, Boges said:

And that would be illegal. 

School Boards have said they will be forced to close if support workers Strike. That can't happen. Do binding arbitration, they're not worth 11%. 

Exactly.  His legislation would be illegal if not for NOTWITHSTANDING which now has to be removed from the Constitution if possible.  I don't think it is though.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 2:45 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Same union??

I know many that work those jobs,  I will trade my retail job for their better pay , benefits and a OMERS pension. I like many, are tired of the constant whining and greed. For the union to ask for what they did, KNEW Ford would say no. They are just looking for a fight and hopefully get the Libs back in power, so they can get whatever they want. 

Edited by PIK

On 11/3/2022 at 12:39 AM, TreeBeard said:

Didn’t you choose your own career path?  Maybe you could go get an education and become a custodian and make that $20/hr?  

I live a comfortable life. Country setting along a river. Amazing what you can do with hard work and living within your means. Without benefits.  But when I hear the NDP saying these people need to work 2 - 3 jobs to get by, I just laugh.