The pro choice position is silly

Iteration

Just now, Iteration said:

@Nationalist

If slavery was perfectly legal and permissible in the United States, would you have supported it? 

Oh Good Lord...

I seriously doubt I...cast back 200 years or so...would have been "OK" with enslaving humans of any creed, for any reason. But this is all BS because not even YOU could say what YOU would have done under those circumstances AT THAT PERIOD IN HISTORY.

THUS...its completely irrelevant. Nonsense. Silly shit.

Now...if you wanna debate whether or not the US Constitution should be re-written or amended...we can debate that. But please...enough of the silly shit...ok?

@Nationalist

Okay, so we seem to actually agree. Just as you have stated, if slavery was legal, lets say slavery became legal tomorrow, you would not support it: you would not believe it should be legal. So you actually don't think that something being currently legal means it should be legal. 

Going back, you previously stated that abortion should be allowed because it is allowed by the constitution. Now you can't use that argument anymore because if the constitution allowed slavery, you would not believe it should be legal. 

5 minutes ago, Iteration said:

@Nationalist

Okay, so we seem to actually agree. Just as you have stated, if slavery was legal, lets say slavery became legal tomorrow, you would not support it: you would not believe it should be legal. So you actually don't think that something being currently legal means it should be legal. 

Going back, you previously stated that abortion should be allowed because it is allowed by the constitution. Now you can't use that argument anymore because if the constitution allowed slavery, you would not believe it should be legal. 

OK so...you either have very poor reading comprehension skills, or you just read what you want.

I never said "abortion should be allowed because it is allowed by the constitution". I said IT IS allowed in many states because those states CHOSE to allow it. The current FEDERAL laws DO NOT make abortion legal or illegal. The FEDERAL laws only state that the states must rule on this ON THEIR OWN. I also said that in some circumstances, I can see it being allowed.

This is pretty simple stuff. Please do try real hard to understand what I've said.

@Nationalist

Okay, so lets go ahead and grant what you are saying about federal and state laws. That is irrelevant to what I am asking you. I am asking you whether or not you believe abortion should be legal illegal in most cases. 

So is that a yes or no? Do you favor abortion bans? 

Edited by Iteration
Error

1 minute ago, Iteration said:

@Nationalist

Okay, so lets go ahead and grant what you are saying about federal and state laws. That is irrelevant to what I am asking you. I am asking you whether or no you believe abortion should be legal illegal in most cases. 

So is that a yes or no? Do you favor abortion bans? 

OK...IMO...I cannot, in clean conscience, favor complete abortion bans. This if I lived in a state that has chosen that path, I'd be inclined to not vote for the state government.

However...it's important...I believe...to acknowledge that abortion is only one of a myriad of issues people vote on.

In other words...it's not a simple matter for most people. 

Just now, Iteration said:

@Nationalist

Okay, so up to when do you believe abortion should be legal? 

I already said...in extreme cases.

In other words...abortion IS NOT a substitute for a condom.

I also really find abortion after 15 weeks...abhorrent and should only be allowed in VERY EXTREME cases.

2 minutes ago, Iteration said:

@Nationalist

Okay, so you believe abortion should be legal before 15 weeks? 

In extreme cases.

For instance a rape victim. 

Maybe this will help...Were my own daughter mistakenly find herself preggo because of a drunken roll in the hay...I would want her to have the baby and my wife and I would raise it.

I do not like ending the lives...responsive or not...of babies.

@Nationalist

Okay, so you believe that abortion should be illegal in all cases with the exception of things like rape or the life of the mother? 

If dumbing it down to this helps you understand...fine.

Abortion should be rare...not a conveyor belt process done by eugenics freaks at Planned Parenthood.

Edited by Nationalist

@Nationalist

Wait, I'm sorry, can you answer that? 

Yes or no, do you believe that abortion should be illegal in all cases with the exception of things like rape or the life of the mother? 

I just did answer you.

What is your problem?

Edited by Nationalist

No, no, you are dodging the question, 

Yes or no, do you believe that abortion should be illegal in all cases with the exception of things like rape or the life of the mother? 

I want a yes or no answer. 

Lol...OK "yes". That is essentially what I believe.

Now...why do you need a yes or no answer so badly?

This is a complex and very personal issue. Why do you need to dumb it all down so much?

@Nationalist

Okay, now it is starting to seem like we agree more than we may disagree. So do you think abortion should be banned nationwide, in all states with exceptions for cases of rape and the life of the mother? 

No. I believe the law is already there and I'm good with the wisdom of it.

Each state may decide for itself.

Edited by Nationalist

@Nationalist

Wait...there may be a contradiction here, or something that seems suspect at least.

You stated that you believe that abortion should be illegal in all cases except for rape and the life of the mother (which are under 1% of cases). If that is a belief you hold, you would support an abortion ban nationwide with these exceptions, regardless of whether or not it is politically possible, you would in principle support this policy. 

@Nationalist

Wait...there may be a contradiction here, or something that seems suspect at least.

You stated that you believe that abortion should be illegal in all cases except for rape and the life of the mother (which are under 1% of cases). If that is a belief you hold, you would support an abortion ban nationwide with these exceptions, regardless of whether or not it is politically possible, you would in principle support this policy. 

No I wouldn't. I know why Roe was struck down and I agree with the decision and the reasons for it.

I do not think the federal government has the power to rule on this. And apparently the SCOTUS feels the same way.

Like I said...if your state has abortion laws you don't like...use your vote to change that...or move.

Edited by Nationalist

@Nationalist

No - now you are trying to move the conversation to dodge the critique. 

Suppose, hypothetically, the constitution said that the legality of slavery or the legality of rape was a state by state power - would you believe that rape and slavery should be banned nationwide, yes or no?

Or would you say "if your state has abortion laws you don't like, move on." 

Edited by Iteration

29 minutes ago, Iteration said:

@Nationalist

No - now you are trying to move the conversation to dodge the critique. 

Suppose, hypothetically, the constitution said that the legality of slavery or the legality of rape was a state by state power - would you believe that rape and slavery should be banned nationwide, yes or no?

Fact is...rape and slavery have always been illegal. Your hypothetical is nonsense and I don't deal in nonsense. 

Are you gonna answer my question? 

Why do you need to dumb this down?

I have my suspicion but...would like to give you an opportunity to express yourself.

Edited by Nationalist

@Nationalist

Wait...no, I think you know you are in a bit of a corner here. Please don't dodge my question, I don't know why you are trying to dodge me. Lets try it again. 

6 minutes ago, Iteration said:

@Nationalist

Wait...no, I think you know you are in a bit of a corner here. Please don't dodge my question, I don't know why you are trying to dodge me. Lets try it again. 

I'm not gonna play this nonsensical game of yours. Rape and slavery have always been illegal. 

I figure this nonsense of yours, is designed to get me to say I think the federal government should have powers they simply do not have...and I won't. 

I will remind you that abortion is a state matter..not a federal matter 

If you want to live where the state agrees with you on abortion...please do so.

@Nationalist

No, stop. I have been very patient with you thus far, now you are trying to dodge my question because I have you in a corner. The question is as follows: 

Do not evade the question.