Emergency Act commission

myata

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

210 accounts were not "seized" but "frozen" by the banks using names provided by the RCMP. I realize the line between "seized" and "frozen" is fine, but it is a line. Seizure normally implies criminality and court action to recover.

The accounts were frozen several days after the EMA was enacted on 15 Feb.

Accounts were released on 22 Feb.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2022/02/23/canada-begins-to-release-frozen-bank-accounts-of-freedom-convoy-protestors/?sh=1810070d6364

For sure it got out of hand on all sides.

The report, as opposed to outcome,  will be interesting as it is not there to make judgment or a witch hunt. No one will be charged. It gives every side an opportunity to vent and have their displeasure recognized.

For sure, it will be forgotten by election time. Just as Lavllin and WE and Aga Kahn vacations and black face and other multitude scandals were.

The inquiry is mandated so, it must be held.

Ok lets use frozen, for 3 weeks, what would happen to your family if your accounts were frozen for 3 weeks. SO there were consequences for their actions before they had their day in court. and who was punished by all that, them or their families collective punishment is the Canadian way to go here, shit even the military ensures the family is considered when handing out large fines. Here nobody asked anyone anything just over reacted, it seems to be a Canadian government thing over act then correct later.

To vent and have their displeasure recognized, at what cost? I'm sure it will be in the millions, no legal action no punishment for misusing it, nothing is going to come of it, well the conservatives will be distracted for a few weeks in parliament. That has got to be worth all that funding.

lets face it, being mandated or not it's expenditure will produce no real results. 

10 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Ok lets use frozen, for 3 weeks, what would happen to your family if your accounts were frozen for 3 weeks. SO there were consequences for their actions before they had their day in court. and who was punished by all that, them or their families collective punishment is the Canadian way to go here, shit even the military ensures the family is considered when handing out large fines. Here nobody asked anyone anything just over reacted, it seems to be a Canadian government thing over act then correct later.

To vent and have their displeasure recognized, at what cost? I'm sure it will be in the millions, no legal action no punishment for misusing it, nothing is going to come of it, well the conservatives will be distracted for a few weeks in parliament. That has got to be worth all that funding.

lets face it, being mandated or not it's expenditure will produce no real results. 

The evidence shows that Canadians can have their rights stripped for dubious reasons.  That’s the takeaway.  Pitiful government in Canada. Trudeau installed the “basic dictatorship” he admired in China.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

When the police find an impaired driver with a reading over a certain limit, they are authorized to seize the vehicle on the spot.  The same happens when they find a large quantity of illegal drugs and cash, they seize it. 
Blockading a public road is illegal.

Harassment is illegal.

violation of public health orders is illegal.

Violation of a court order is illegal.

Mischief is illegal. 
The behaviour of the participants in the occupation, if found legal by the court, is still bad manners. It was not the kind of courtesy we should expect from Canadians.

As for the justification for the EMA, we have to wait for the report of the Commission. 

We have had protests across Canada that have blocked important trade routes for weeks, and in many places, the government waited it out, nothing was done, i mean it was an indigenous protest but none the less a protest and the government decided to set a precedence with the convoy, declaring an national emergency no less ... 

I get it we have a right to protest, just not to impair anything around the area... but have you seen an effective protest that did not break a law, one that brought recognition to one's cause. Me neither. Not that i condone their behavior but one would think aliens had landed and were doing experiments on city folks... not that they would find anything of great importance it's Ottawa after all.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada is merely the Confederation

which is simply an agreement

there is no pride in being British

other than the supremacy of God and the rule of law

Canadians won’t stand up to defend their rights or culture, so I’ve lost interest.  It’s just an internationally run tax jurisdiction where people can make money that they can hopefully spend in a freer country with an identity.  Only the Québécois, Indigenous, and some immigrant groups protect their cultures, but the Canadian Constitution is weak and unprotected by the courts.  The government of Canada and media call Canada a racist colonial country.  What’s the point in this charade? I’m an Englishman now.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Then your duty is to run for Parliament and fix things. And West could address the learned Public Health officials such as Dr Tam, show them your credentials and explain why you know more than they do. They are not infallible.

The vaccine is harmless. I’ve had 5 shots and no problems. So has the rest of my family. I don’t know of anyone who has had any problems.

Let me be clear. I respect your views. I make no claims of infallibility. A perusal of my posts clearly demonstrate I am not without error.

Their credentials are irrelevant. We cherish freedom in the West and have never had a government intrude into private health care decisions to the extent Trudeau did. Tying your job to a faulty vaxx is unethical and any doctor pushing that ought to be behind bars

22 hours ago, sharkman said:

I asked earlier, and perhaps no one knows, but I’ll try again.

Brian Peckford.  Does anyone know if Brian Peckford’s court case or hearing is still going to happen?  The one where he’s arguing that the travel ban and vax restrictions were unconstitutional?

It's on-going.

Trudeau keeps trying to have it thrown out of court.

The Trudeau-funded Media refuses to cover it. I get updates from the JCCF:

Justice Centre fights Fed’s request to throw out travel ban lawsuit | Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms (jccf.ca)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

210 accounts were not "seized" but "frozen" by the banks using names provided by the RCMP. I realize the line between "seized" and "frozen" is fine, but it is a line. Seizure normally implies criminality and court action to recover.

I don't think you realize how dangerous to a democratic society and unethical, doing that was.

Much more dangerous than calling in the military.

You'll likely realize it too late - when that power is turned against you.  You're not very intelligent in that way.

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, myata said:

How deceptively naive! There are more than one kind of dictatorship, way more and look where Russia started just over two decades back. And what will we have here, in three decades down this emergency path? Anybody could promise?

I was talking the other day with a customer who had questions about gas masks and the anti-radiation pills we sell.  As the conversation progressed, I asked about his accent.  He told me he was Ukrainian, but had also lived in Russia.  He immigrated to Canada 16 years ago.

He told me  - "Bless the Canadians, but they need to wake up.  We are about 10 years behind Russia in totalitarian/authoritarianism.  If there are 10 steps to totalitarianism, Canada is on step 4 or 5 right now."

He said once totalitarianism gets to step 7 or 8, there is no way to reverse it without bloodshed and war.

He mentioned the buying of the media as one of the biggest steps towards loss of freedom.  He said he viewed all the Canadian media outlets as propaganda now.

He said that when he got to Canada, he thought he had escaped governmental oppression but now he is afraid - he sees the same progression here.

Immigrants know.

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Under a dictatorship such as soviet Russia, the illegal occupiers would have been loaded into trucks and taken away on day one. They would have been driven into the forest, shot, and buried in a mass unmarked grave. No debate in Parliament, no media reports, and no inquiry,

The only thing that prevented that from happening is that we're not quite there just yet.

Don't worry though, we're getting to that point.

You'll probably live to see your fellow citizens rounded up and shot in the woods. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Goddess said:

The only thing that prevented that from happening is that we're not quite there just yet.

Don't worry though, we're getting to that point.

You'll probably live to see your fellow citizens rounded up and shot in the woods. 

I knew Canada had fallen when I saw happy peaceful families merely expressing their constitutional right to protest forced off the streets by people with weapons in riot gear.  The protesters weren’t carrying weapons or issuing threats.  They could’ve been anyone’s neighbours.  They came from all different backgrounds, yet our government vilified them, making them sound ignorant and extremist.  The media blatantly played along with the narrative.  Seeing the headlines about the inquiry from the CBC today, once again feeding this oppressive government narrative, brought the events back.  I can’t watch Canadian TV news anymore.  Toronto Star and Globe and Mail headlines are predictably supportive of everything Trudeau-Freeland.  It’s always the same: Some outlier character is associated with any opposition to government, discrediting alternative viewpoints.  I simply can’t believe the boy who cried wolf anymore.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I was talking the other day with a customer who had questions about gas masks and the anti-radiation pills we sell.  As the conversation progressed, I asked about his accent.  He told me he was Ukrainian, but had also lived in Russia.  He immigrated to Canada 16 years ago.

He told me  - "Bless the Canadians, but they need to wake up.  We are about 10 years behind Russia in totalitarian/authoritarianism.  If there are 10 steps to totalitarianism, Canada is on step 4 or 5 right now."

He said once totalitarianism gets to step 7 or 8, there is no way to reverse it without bloodshed and war.

He mentioned the buying of the media as one of the biggest steps towards loss of freedom.  He said he viewed all the Canadian media outlets as propaganda now.

He said that when he got to Canada, he thought he had escaped governmental oppression but now he is afraid - he sees the same progression here.

Immigrants know.

The big pushers of the freedom movement are people from Hungary or other places who lived under communist rule and see what a vile puppy Trudeau and his clown ? show is

• Like 1

9 hours ago, myata said:

How deceptively naive! There are more than one kind of dictatorship, way more and look where Russia started just over two decades back. And what will we have here, in three decades down this emergency path? Anybody could promise?

Our dictatorship is so bad we have commissions to find out if the government overstepped its bounds.

Edited by Aristides
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, West said:

The big pushers of the freedom movement are people from Hungary

No no replace benevolent left "for your own good" soft authoritarianism with populist idiot whackos like Trump and that Hungarian dude? Pamper to Putins of the world or they could get angry. Sure we don't have any better options? Are we really doomed

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canadians won’t stand up to defend their rights or culture, so I’ve lost interest.  It’s just an internationally run tax jurisdiction where people can make money that they can hopefully spend in a freer country with an identity.  Only the Québécois, Indigenous, and some immigrant groups protect their cultures, but the Canadian Constitution is weak and unprotected by the courts.  The government of Canada and media call Canada a racist colonial country.  What’s the point in this charade? I’m an Englishman now.  

indeed, I understand

bear in mind tho, we only ever took Canada as a war prize

then cobbled it together into a bulwark, on an emergency basis

your Canada was forged in blood & fire

from Ypres 1915 to Apeldoorn 1945

but those men are all gone now

the Queen has gone to be with Her troops

and the Vimy Myth has gone with them

and thus America washes over the ramparts, inexorably

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I knew Canada had fallen when I saw happy peaceful families merely expressing their constitutional right to protest forced off the streets by people with weapons in riot gear.  The protesters weren’t carrying weapons or issuing threats.  They could’ve been anyone’s neighbours.  They came from all different backgrounds, yet our government vilified them, making them sound ignorant and extremist.  The media blatantly played along with the narrative.  Seeing the headlines about the inquiry from the CBC today, once again feeding this oppressive government narrative, brought the events back.  I can’t watch Canadian TV news anymore.  Toronto Star and Globe and Mail headlines are predictably supportive of everything Trudeau-Freeland.  It’s always the same: Some outlier character is associated with any opposition to government, discrediting alternative viewpoints.  I simply can’t believe the boy who cried wolf anymore.  

"if this is to end in fire, then we should all burn together"

12 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Look, I am not arguing for or against, just clarifying.

What would I do? Well, I do not think I would put myself in a position for defying government. I do not think all those that had accounts frozen were charged. What about the ones that spent time in jail, months in jail? I know it can be difficult but I was only emphasizing that 210 accounts were frozen as opposed to insinuating there were thousands and/or everyone that took part in the action has d accounts frozen as some forks were alluding to.

The purpose of the inquiry is not to punish, it is to determine the necessity, actions and results. It is to determine the "circumstances that led to the declaration being issued and the measures taken for dealing with the emergency."

There are no real "results" per se, it is an inquiry, who, what, when, where and, why.