Drax (UK): "green" burning of Canada's old growth forests

myata

4 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

you need to learn from those that do know.

What I don't know? That what I see with my own eyes has to be very wrong and some cute story repeatedly playing on the radio, the real truth? You are suggesting to me to learn that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, myata said:

What I don't know? That what I see with my own eyes has to be very wrong and some cute story repeatedly playing on the radio, the real truth? You are suggesting to me to learn that?

As almost everyone in this thread has told you, you do not know anything about the logging and lumber industry.

You clearly have not seen anything with your own eyes either. If your view and understanding is from 30,000 feet while flying over, it is understandable why you keep on with your stupidity.

Oh Jeez give it up FFS! Nobody's gonna stop cutting trees, what the hell you gonna make your house out of?

I live in BCs biggest forest District. My buddy's an ex-mill manager now consultant. Two close friends forestry consultants, another mapper. I lived with the CFO of a major mill, did my career connecting their computers, sites, radios. Flown about in choppers picking radio & tv sites, flew over, drove on those forest roads to hunt, fish, camp and snowmobile.
If things grow back they are by definition sustainable. Just like your garden or a farm.

You're just like a Trumpoid or anti-vaxxer, you don't know and you won't listen to anyone who does. It's one thing to be stupid, quite another to expend energy to remain ignorant.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, Nefarious Banana said:

Logging is a sustainable/renewable resource in BC. 

Stop this crap!

You should know as well as I do that it is not!

Sick and tired of giving you all the facts over and over and then have you post your next stupid comment under the next thread!

On 10/3/2022 at 5:03 AM, ExFlyer said:

Canada has nothing to trade or sell except it's resources.

All, or most, manufacturing has moved out of the country as it is no longer economical to make things here.

So the Canadian government is a tumor destroying the environment.   I 've said it before and I will say it again.  I want to pack all those m-o-r-o-n-s - politicians, CEO's, businessmen and what not and ship them all to China, or even shoot them out into outer space to look for greener pastures and business opportunities. 

6 hours ago, cougar said:

So the Canadian government is a tumor destroying the environment.   I 've said it before and I will say it again.  I want to pack all those m-o-r-o-n-s - politicians, CEO's, businessmen and what not and ship them all to China, or even shoot them out into outer space to look for greener pastures and business opportunities. 

Huh?

Are you actually blaming companies and CEO's and, businessmen for giving you what you want and need at affordable prices?

Or maybe you did not consider that labour costs in Canada have driven companies elsewhere to manufacture the products you need and want cheaper?

Fact is companies left because the cost of labour was too high in Canada.

As for the environment, what is your issue with it? With manufacturing gone, resource delivery is an area that can provide jobs.

7 hours ago, cougar said:

Stop this crap!

Sick and tired of giving you all the facts over and over and then have you post your next stupid comment under the next thread!

What facts???

Are you saying logging is not a sustainable/renewable resource??  And no "greenpeace" newsletter response please LOL

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cougar said:

Stop this crap!

Your 'facts' are not facts, and have nothing to do with a sustainable and renewable resource here in BC. You came here to Canada/BC 20 yrs. ago and have hinted at environmental 'terrorism' towards logging/forestry.  We deal with your type regularly.  You and the OP use the benefits of BC forestry yet stick your self-righteous noses in the air when the engine of those benefits don't jive with your uninformed and ignorant ideas of what 'renewable and sustainable' really mean.

If you're not happy in Canada, there are options . . . . consider them.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Your 'facts' are not facts, and have nothing to do with a sustainable and renewable resource here in BC. You came here to Canada/BC 20 yrs. ago and have hinted at environmental 'terrorism' towards logging/forestry.  We deal with your type regularly.  You and the OP use the benefits of BC forestry yet stick your self-righteous noses in the air when the engine of those benefits don't jive with your uninformed and ignorant ideas of what 'renewable and sustainable' really mean.

If you're not happy in Canada, there are options . . . . consider them.

Do you have eyes on you?  Then look at the pictures below taken today, ESPECIALLY FOR YOU, and your ilk.

Where do you see those old trees "renewed" ????

Some 20-40 years ago the old forest was logged, but mostly destroyed with much of the timber left to rot.  The new growth, which is some 20 - 30 year old trees are now logged.  If the area is replanted, the third growth will be smaller trees, and I doubt someone will give them even 20-30 years before those are destroyed.

So , I do not care how old you are, how many years you have in the logging industry, where you came from and when.

One thing I know for sure is, you have learned absolutely nothing in those years.

2022-loggersMess-02.jpg

2022-loggersMess-01.jpg

Edited by cougar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cougar said:

Some 20-40 years ago the old forest was logged, but mostly destroyed with much of the timber left to rot.  The new growth, which is some 20 - 30 year old trees are now logged.  If the area is replanted, the third growth will be smaller trees, and I doubt someone will give them even 20-30 years before those are destroyed.

Renewable and sustainable forestry  .  .  .  .

If you hate the BC forest industry so much, why did you choose to live in the middle of the North Coast Timber Supply Area?

Life's full of choices.  Apparently you've made a poor one, and typical for you and your ilk, you blame others.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:38 AM, herbie said:

My buddy's an ex-mill manager now consultant.

What does it prove though? Happy buddies and CEOs happily pulled cod from catch with bare hands to none left in under two centuries. Happy buddies cut 1000-year old trees happily for a dinner without a flash's thought or a darn. And you'll do the same with the forests, of course. You know why? Only two reasons: you can't stop; and you never learn.

11 hours ago, cougar said:

Where do you see those old trees "renewed" ????

It only takes changing the definition! Common sense: renewed old growth forest has the same kind of trees". "Renewed" wink-wink: something with some trees (just about anything).

Works like a charm don't you see... all the way to the hard stop.

Oh we can make it perfectly sustainable like the Nordic nations. Nice forests of the same species, all in neat rows, spaced as to the turning radius of a feller-buncher.

And we can pretend that because it doesn't grow back in three days like a mushroom, it doesn't grow back at all. And keep pretending that forest practices are the same as they were a generation ago.

You know they didn't even have an inventory of how many, what kind, and where those trees were until Harcourt's NDP took office. And the Big Forest Companies carried on that even doing that was anti-logging and a waste of public money. Or that we've faced duties because those companies don't get to keep the denuded lands to sell to real estate developers like in the USA?

16 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Renewable and sustainable forestry  .  .  .  .

If you hate the BC forest industry so much, why did you choose to live in the middle of the North Coast Timber Supply Area?

Life's full of choices.  Apparently you've made a poor one, and typical for you and your ilk, you blame others.

I live where I want to live, close to the wilderness.

The uneducated likes of you are the problem.

43 minutes ago, cougar said:

I live where I want to live, close to the wilderness.

The uneducated likes of you are the problem.

Care to share your 'vision' of how forestry should be carried out?  Care to share your qualifications/experience/expertise in the BC forestry industry? 

C'mon buddy, tell us how to manage BC's greatest resource . . . . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Care to share your 'vision' of how forestry should be carried out?  Care to share your qualifications/experience/expertise in the BC forestry industry? 

C'mon buddy, tell us how to manage BC's greatest resource . . . . 

To you???? On this board????? 

I only suggest you steer clear of all forestry and environment related discussions.  Do yourself a favor so you are not in the position of the King in his new clothes all the time.

41 minutes ago, cougar said:

To you???? On this board????? 

I only suggest you steer clear of all forestry and environment related discussions.  Do yourself a favor so you are not in the position of the King in his new clothes all the time.

You don't have any experience or ideas concerning BC's forest industry.  Why did you respond to this thread if you're not willing to share your 'master plan' and set everything straight?

You've let it be known in earlier threads concerning BC's prime revenue resource, that you want all logging stopped. 

I only suggest you steer clear of all forestry operations. Do yourself a favor so you are not in the position to endanger yourself and others with your protests.

Edited by Nefarious Banana
  • Like 1

1. In any serious work you don't start with patting yourself on the back for a great job especially when and if it's obvious (literally and factually) that it's crappy. Minus 1.

2. You do develop a working system of monitoring and auditing the reality - to know it and understand what's going on. What kind of forest, where, the condition, history everything. You can't do even minimally acceptable work if you don't know and cannot know what's going on in reality - not some stupid fairy tale every top manager can sing as a full time job with a juicy quarterly bonus. Minus 2.

3. You do form your objectives and practices that achieve and maintain them openly and publicly that can be audited at any time. Here, the claim and there, the reality. Minus 3.

4. Even if nobody reminded you, you regularly check and verify how the results correspond to the objectives. If they don't you correct your practices immediately. If you protect 30% of forests everyone can see them protected, not just listen to songs. If the rest is renewable, everyone can see them renewed with eyes not the tales.

And the conclusion: this is not what you do. You don't like doing that, what makes sense, and the only way that can work. You like singing great Canadian fairy tales. Sure. Like there will be any surprises. Like there can be.

Edited by myata
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

are  against renewable and sustainable  logging

In your mind, asking for a proof, evidence of the claim (renewable - sustainable) is equivalent to anti-something. No. It's only the reality check. You have the problem with checking the reality, not me. So it can't be my problem.

And one more time: which old growth forests, dominated by trees of 300 years and older have been "renewed" in any normal, common sense definition of the word? Where can these miracles be seen? Do they exist in this reality or only in a great song / pipe dream? You happily cutting trees that are 30, 40 years old how can you claim anything about hundreds? You will never see another old growth forest, only the scraps that are left over and you're still cutting them out in thin slices (OP). It, what we see from the planes, having eyes and brains isn't going to get better because it can't! Your business model that hasn't changed in centuries makes sure of that.

Edited by myata

13 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

myata, what do you know (if anything) about the BC forestry sector?

Is your total knowledge of this subject what you glanced out of an airplane window?

You and the imported anti are  against renewable and sustainable  logging, yet you both benefit from the services this sector brings to this province.

I 've told you many times to get rid of your annoying red font and keep away from forestry related discussion, so your naked butt is not exposed for all to see.

8 hours ago, herbie said:

Well you can feel glad because today's news is full of reports of mills shutting down because of a shortage of pulp wood.

Next time you wipe your ass with your bare left hand you can think of how many Sacred Trees you're saving.

When I am in the bush I wipe my ass with leaves, moss or in wintertime , with snow.  You think I give a rat's ass about your tissue paper, you "civilized" idiot?

On 10/7/2022 at 11:11 AM, blackbird said:

That is an area that was logged which is a very tiny part of the forests in BC.

You go on Google maps and check before posting you f-u-c-k-i-n-g crap here.

Check the coastal communities and Vancouver Island, check the area around Prince George and West of it.

FYI we do not log the Yukon as it has tiny trees if any.

Whatever we could get our hands on has been wiped out / destroyed.  We have shown to be no different than plague to the this Earth.

Sure hoping you don't do anything foolish or dangerous.  Your rage against the forestry sector and its workers is very disturbing considering that you immigrated here to the middle of North Coast Timber Supply Area and think that this renewable and sustainable resource should shut down because you don't like it.  Get a grip on reality. 

Sharing your bush hygiene is obviously more important to you than when you were asked to share your vision for BC's prime industry.  Me thinks you couldn't tell the difference between spruce and sponge-cake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1