2022 Republicans Lose Federal Senate, Will Keep Federal House

On 9/24/2022 at 10:18 AM, I am Groot said:

In a sense, the senate is also gerrymandered to the benefit of Republicans. This is because the size of the state's population is immaterial. All states get 2 seats. And there are more small population, more rural states than there are large population urban states. This is to the benefit of Republicans who are much stronger among rural voters.

Clueless about the people who wrote your constitution, and about my point.

===

Like Elizabeth II and Ancient Roma, your Constitution was written to survive for millenia. 

Whatever your partisan connection, I recommend that you look at how people voted in America in the 1800s.

(Parties printed ballots and asked people to submit them.)

In England, it is called the House of Commons - it is the place where common people can speak.

Edited by August1991

On 9/24/2022 at 10:29 AM, I am Groot said:

I've always been a fan of science fiction. Many such novels depict the future as a place with a small number of intelligent, hard working people and a huge population of non-working people who sit in their apartments watching the future equivalent of tv, munching junk food and living off their monthly stipends from government. Since their votes always go to whoever promises them the most free stuff their corrupt government is perpetually on the edge of bankruptcy.

Groot, you remind me of some people in Eastern Europe, Soviet times.

You work hard, you're smart - and all these others take advantage of you.

====

Fortunately, most Canadians have a different view of life.

Edited by August1991

On 9/22/2022 at 8:49 AM, sharkman said:

In the title of this thread it states that the Republicans will keep the Federal House, meaning Congress?  They currently have a minority in congress, what am I missing August?

And Republicans have 50 seats on the Senate, so it’s not theirs to lose, technically.

Sharkman, missed this. (Did I? - Maybe I'm repeating or worse, contradicting myself.)

The Republicans will win a majority in the federal House because of gerrymandering.

I suspect that the Democrats will maintain a "majority" in the federal Senate.

====

But what do I know? I'm Canadian.

Edited by August1991

16 hours ago, August1991 said:

Groot, you remind me of some people in Eastern Europe, Soviet times.

You work hard, you're smart - and all these others take advantage of you.

====

Fortunately, most Canadians have a different view of life.

And you remind me of an effete French aristocrat smiling and making bad puns to Mary Antoinette about the peasants just before they crash through the door and take your head off. Not a clue what's going on but damned certain he knows it all.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, I am Groot said:

And you remind me of an effete French aristocrat smiling and making bad puns to Mary Antoinette about the peasants just before they crash through the door and take your head off. Not a clue what's going on but damned certain he knows it all.

I'm reminded of Stephen Harper's comment about America.

America? Its federal government debt is growing and now close to 200% of GDP. Krugman described America as a tank with a pension plan. The social security - more generous than our CPP/OAP - is pay as you go.

Yet, Americans will figure this out. 

On 9/27/2022 at 5:00 PM, I am Groot said:

You're equally clueless about what country I'm from.

Wherever you're from, I favour the ideals of America, its Constitution.

====

I fear that the US federal government has been turned into something else.

As a Canadian, Trudeau Snr was correct about power (synonym for control). Create a counterweight - in the US, you have State governments.

Here's his comment about power:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1766147078

Wonderful interview with the mother of David Frum.

This was around Meech, 1990. He was about 70 years old.

Edited by August1991

On 9/27/2022 at 4:59 PM, I am Groot said:

And even the French know enough to have proper elections.

If the Democrats lose the House that will be nice, but if the Republicans take both the House and the Senate that's a big thing.

Maybe America can start to get back on its feet again like it did following Obama's loss of House and Senate.

House and Senate is possible too. Races that were earlier thought to be in the bag for Dems are tightening.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2022 at 11:59 AM, Infidel Dog said:

If the Democrats lose the House that will be nice, but if the Republicans take both the House and the Senate that's a big thing.

Maybe America can start to get back on its feet again like it did following Obama's loss of House and Senate.

House and Senate is possible too. Races that were earlier thought to be in the bag for Dems are tightening.

The Republicans will win the federal House, because of gerrymandering.

But watch carefully about Federal state-wide votes.

====

With "mail-in" ballots, it is easy to collect blank papers - we do it in Canada with census forms - and submit them.

===

It changes the politics.

Edited by August1991

On 9/22/2022 at 8:49 AM, sharkman said:

In the title of this thread it states that the Republicans will keep the Federal House, meaning Congress?  They currently have a minority in congress, what am I missing August?

And Republicans have 50 seats on the Senate, so it’s not theirs to lose, technically.

Sharkman,

You are correct. But I'm Canadian, so I can talk incorrectly about American stuff that doesn't matter to me.

Edited by August1991

Gerrymandering is indeed abused. This is well known. The "human factor".

As far as I'm concerned, mail-in ballots are also prone to the "human factor". Thus only proper absentee processes should be allowed.

No vote should be allowed by proxy.

These are simple and secure measures for the reliability of our most powerful democratic tool. The vote. Yet...we have all these people, desperately trying to dilute the reliability and security of our most powerful democratic tool.

And the only reasonable explanation seems to be...

The "human factor".

Edited by Nationalist

Statewide votes take time to count.

Fetterman will win. So will Hochul.

(Let me make this plain: In Pennsyvania and New York, the state sends to everyone a complicated paper with many questions. Now, people can collect these papers and complete them.)

In Canada, it is like a census form. 

=====

In New Hampshire, the Dems will lose. Bolduc will win.

In Nevada, the Dems will win.

Edited by August1991

On 9/17/2022 at 7:13 PM, August1991 said:

Federal House seats ae gerrymandered and the Republicans can win, check what's going on.

The federal Senate votes? This is state-wide.

In Arizona, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Georgia - there is no chance that a Republican will win.

=====

In the current Democrat activist thinking, collecting a blank ballot from a person, completing the ballot and putting the ballot in a box is simply helping the person to express their opinion.

Anything else is "voter repression".

====

In Canada, I have to go physically -mostly 

Here are instructions - for my forthcoming Quebec election:

https://www.electionsquebec.qc.ca/comprendre/comprendre-le-vote/comment-voter/

==========================

Very important point to Americans, the ballot is a small sheet with a list of names: I check once - pick one person - and leave.

BTW, each party has "scrutineers" who verify what is going on.

Here's how it will work:

If the election is called on Election Night, it is going to be a massive electoral victory for Republicans.

If some states want to take several days to count main in votes, (and run the fake vote printing presses) all bets are off.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:36 AM, reason10 said:

Here's how it will work:

If the election is called on Election Night, it is going to be a massive electoral victory for Republicans.

If some states want to take several days to count main in votes, (and run the fake vote printing presses) all bets are off.

In the US, your ballot is like our Census Form: an endless series of questions.

In Canada, we show our ID and check one name.

====

In Canada, we have minority governments. Coalitions. Sometimes it's not clear how the cabinet will be formed.

But the seats in the parliament are usually decided quickly. Vote counts are easy. 

Edited by August1991

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

In the US, your ballot is like our Census Form: an endless series of questions.

In Canada, we show our ID and check one name.

====

In Canada, we have minority governments. Coalitions. Sometimes it's not clear how the cabinet will be formed.

But the seats in the parliament are usually decided quickly. Vote counts are easy. 

In the US, (ever since the coup of 2020) our elections are decided by mules.