Support for monarchy

myata

20 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I suspect that they aren’t particularly diverse in their personal lives either.  At the same time they think that they are the vanguard saviours of workers, as only they know what people deserve and how they should live and think.

the seeds of that are deeply ingrained in the culture

it's the Victorian Missionary Impulse and return of the 19th century upper class Temperance Ladies

40 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

They say the most current politically correct things to maintain their power, but they don’t like the working class.

it's not just dislike, it's fear

there is a structural economic component

first off, the demographic deficit

the Canadian population is collapsing, and with that the economic growth

and the vastly overweening government has destroyed the competitiveness & productivity

the Canadian economy is really just one massive debt bubble now

when that bubble pops, the population is going to revolt

this threatens the rule of the entrenched interest government apparatchiks, and they know it 

hence why they vastly overreacted to the Trucker protests

the Truckers were only the canary in the coal mine

but that is what the nightmare scenario of the leftist ruling class looks like

the proles come to overthrow them on Parliament Hill

and of course the Canadian leftist elites live in fear of the American Republicans

so to see Sean Hannity & Tucker Carlson backing the Truckers

that threw the Canadian government apparatchiks into a completely hysterical panic

Edited by Dougie93

18 hours ago, myata said:

Much of the previous century was spent by the enlightened bureaucracy (because no one else here is supposed to think of these matters) in the search of the elusive national identity for the masses. It's amusing in the hindsight:

This is quite untrue. At least from the Trudeau time on, which covers the last 50 years or so. Pierre Trudeau started the process of disentangling Canadians from their historical roots in the UK in order to make Quebecers feel more comfortable as Canadians. He and his party, both during his time and since then, have worked steadily away at removing all traces of that heritage they could without it becoming too obvious. The "royal" moniker was removed from everything they could except the RCMP. Ministries became Departments. The constitution, anthem and flag were all changed. Even the name of our national holiday was changed. Canadians were no longer taught much of anything about British history. Visits from the royals were, it not actually discouraged, certainly not encouraged. Immigration was opened to third world countries in hopes that building up a large population of non-Anglos and non-Francos would soften the linguistic and cultural divide between us.

Ironically, you could make a case that all of this constitutes cultural genocide in Justin's language. But I heartily doubt any liberal has the slightest regret. In fact, Trudeau brags about it, saying Canada has no core identity. Well, yes, because you destroyed it.

Btw, that's only applied to English Canada. Quebec, on the other hand, he asserts, is most definitely a nation with a unique and forever to be treasured and protected at any cost culture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

We had a few brave exceptions like Rex Murphy and Jordan Peterson calling out the problems, but the Canadian left was totally unquestioning and compliant. 

Rex & Jordan find the Liberal claim

that the "Republicans are trying to overthrow the Liberal government" to be preposterous

I think overthrow is perhaps too strong a word

none the less, Republicans do view the Liberals as being tyrannical proxies of the Democrats

so when the Republicans crush the Democrats, I do expect they will round on their proxies in Canada after

but it will not be invasion,

the Republicans will simply wage trade war against Canada

because Canada is no longer a partner to America

Canada is a competitor, engaged in subsidized dumping into the American economy

and acting as a back door fifth column for the Chinese Communists

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

This is quite untrue.

I disagree. Virtually any agenda or fake identity can be imposed on someone who has no real, true one. It just shows that one fake or imagined quasi identity, to a foreign establishment on another continent can be easily swapped for another. That only speaks for the absence of genuine true core.

2 minutes ago, myata said:

I disagree. Virtually any agenda or fake identity can be imposed on someone who has no real, true one.

and this is how it goes in Canada

"Canadian" is not an identity

"Canadian" is a French bastardization of an Algonquin word

it's meaningless, other than in the context of being British North America

but since Canadians are pathologically insecure about being a British country

they reject that identity

and thus they are left with what ?

public healthcare, draconian gun control & ice hockey ?

that's not an identity

that could be an any American Democrat from New England

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, myata said:

I disagree. Virtually any agenda or fake identity can be imposed on someone who has no real, true one. It just shows that one fake or imagined quasi identity, to a foreign establishment on another continent can be easily swapped for another. That only speaks for the absence of genuine true core.

Given enough time and effort you can destroy almost any cultural identity, real, true or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

Rex & Jordan find the Liberal claim

that the "Republicans are trying to overthrow the Liberal government" to be preposterous

I think overthrow is perhaps too strong a word

none the less, Republicans do view the Liberals as being tyrannical proxies of the Democrats

so when the Republicans crush the Democrats, I do expect they will round on their proxies in Canada after

but it will not be invasion,

the Republicans will simply wage trade war against Canada

because Canada is no longer a partner to America

Canada is a competitor, engaged in subsidized dumping into the American economy

and acting as a back door fifth column for the Chinese Communists

Unless Poilievre essentially builds a firewall against China, the UN, and the Dem woke CRT nuts. It will be hard because of entrenched interests.  

12 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Unless Poilievre essentially builds a firewall against China, the UN, and the Dem woke CRT nuts. It will be hard because of entrenched interests.  

I will support Pierre Poliievre, as a personal favour to you, and because I like him personally

but you're not going to change anything by elections

the culture of Canada will have to be changed upstream from politics

and the only thing that is going to do that

is Canadians suffering the terrible consequences of the bad governance they have been tolerating for years now

when the debt based economies of the entire Western World collapse, all at once in a cascading default

hard times breed better men

in the meantime, I follow Christ towards Calvary, struggling to keep up, chasing the light over Damascus

Edited by Dougie93

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I will support Pierre Poliievre, as a personal favour to you, and because I like him personally

but you're not going to change anything by elections

the culture of Canada will have to be changed upstream from politics

and the only thing that is going to do that

is Canadians suffering the terrible consequences of the bad governance they have been tolerating for years now

when the debt based economies of the entire Western World collapse, all at once in a cascading default

hard times breed better men

in the meantime, I follow Christ towards Calvary, struggling to keep up, chasing the light over Damascus

I just don’t think people can handle much more “hard times” given the privations, fear, and losses of the pandemic.  Hopefully the rate hikes taper and end very soon, the recession isn’t too long, and we can rebuild. 

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I just don’t think people can handle much more “hard times” given the privations, fear, and losses of the pandemic.

how did my great grandfather handle fighting in every battle on the Western Front ?

from Second Ypres to Mons on the last day of the war

no matter what happens

it won't be worse than Passchendaele

no fears on earth

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

It's not about laziness.  They tried 3 times to get Quebec to sign the Charter and it almost broke up the country each time.  It's very divisive.

The GG works fine, there's nothing functionally wrong with having the Crown, some people just don't like the royals.

Sure, it is, that and the first sign of things getting too tough we quit...It is divisive the way it is written now, and all the attempts at separation we have up to now, including the mess out west rearing its head, it would not be worth the risk of uniting the country. 

Sure she does works great for me and you, but there are many Canadians that blame the crown and government for past transgressions, do we keep ignoring that or at least try something. something Canadian made by Canadians.

How dumb - you know a softer word? is it to make something that cannot be changed - no matter what. Imagine you wrote yourself a constitution around two years of age and there's absolutely no way you could change a word of it for the rest of your life? Who does that? Just dumb. Not even cute, and way not funny, eventually.

Interestingly, an ad running on some channels these days "are we just a bunch of yes people" Supposed to be fun but are you laughing? Looking around at the airport, a masked zoo possibly unique in the entire world. What? If you can and there's no accountability, no checks, no explanations and not even common sense, why wouldn't you? Like what, where is the limit?