I'M ANGRY! And, rightly so!

betsy

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

I'm just wondering it what world some people live-in where they still get their "news" from Global. No wonder Trudeau want all the independent media eliminated. Force us all to watch his crappy state-run news.

Have you seen these upstarts? Indo-Canadian news. They no-likee Mr Trudeau.

TFIGlobal - Canada

I'll check it out.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

A heckler. Being asked dumb questions. Being interrupted. Shouted at. Hassled.

Seems pretty typical actions to any politician.

Or is it just not tolerated against conservative politicians?

It's not supposed to come from reporters. Or have you ever seen Trudeau even pressed heavily on the non-answers he always gives them?

43 minutes ago, Boges said:

Or because the coward was only going to take 2 questions. 

There are a couple of ways to look at this. As an advocate of politicians being required to answer just about any question posed them by the media as long as it's not about their personal life or national security I don't like him not answering questions. I find Canadian media to be almost uniquely docile in their interviews and questions, allowing politicians to dance very obviously around the question without asking - and yet very rarely ever trying a second time or confronting them for not answering. I've only ever rarely seen such complaints and always against conservative politicians.

So in that sense the conservatives have a point. Trudeau rarely answers a question. He just pretends to, but dances around the question or says something completely different, an obviously rehearsed statement that fails to answer the question. And the Canadian media have accepted that for seven years with no more than a little muttering. That's led to his ministers doing pretty much the same.

As to Poilievre, I hope he opens up more. It might be he doesn't want to answer questions on policy where he disagrees with the existing party policy. That might put some noses out of joint before he has a chance to talk with people and arrange for policies to be altered. Trudeau, of course, announces party policy changes without consulting anyone (or even telling them), but that's not something other leaders should imitate.

31 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Then the interruptions worked?  PP was cajoled and guilted into actually taking a couple questions. 

If this is what the media has to do to actually have him take questions after his canned statements, then maybe this needs to happen more often. 

Well, he could simply do what Trudeau does. Take lots of questions and answer none of them.

Edited by I am Groot

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

Simple, he doesn't have to give away and spend money like Trudeau did.

You haven't actually been involved in politics, have you.

Years ago, I went after the Conservative nomination in my riding. It was the start of my trajectory towards my destiny of becoming Prime Minister. The most common question I got was words to the effect, "what are you going to do for me / my business" " I didn't even get a "what are you going to do for us?" Everybody had their hand out. I was offended. I believed the job of a Member of Parliament was to serve all Canadians. These were not Grits or New Democrats. I was just going after the Conservative nomination. I diplomatically said I wanted to see Canadian taxpayer money spent where it was needed. I did not believe in handouts for people who don't need it. 

We won that riding and we won the election, but I wasn't the candidate. Candidates need to be aware that the motivation for choosing whom to vote for is how much money will the voter get. Yes, hating the scotsman who is our current Prime Minister is pretty strong, but greed is what drives a voter. As Conservatives, we all want to see the government cut wasteful spending, as long as it doesn't hurt me. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

There are a couple of ways to look at this. As an advocate of politicians being required to answer just about any question posed them by the media as long as it's not about their personal life or national security I don't like him not answering questions. I find Canadian media to be almost uniquely docile in their interviews and questions, allowing politicians to dance very obviously around the question without asking - 

Evasiveness from politicians appears to be universal and I think that combined with the docility of reporters is the root cause of the proliferation of fake news.

In the absence of factual news media resorts to embellishing and exaggerating what is been given and everything is reduced to shit that no one buys or sells without getting a bunch on them in the process.

I take everything Mr. PoiLievre says with the same grain of salt as I do with Mr. Singh or Prime Minister Trudeau. My feeling is he is either naive or misrepresenting what he will actually be able to do. He has been in government before so I suspect he privately knows how things actually work. He will not fire the governor of the Bank. The last time a PM tried that, he wore it like an Albatros. If he removes the carbon tax, he will have to compensate with a different strategy to accelerate the reduction in carbon emissions. However he does that, people will complain. If he disrupts the CBC, he will have the wrath of millions of Coronation Street viewers come down on him.  His promise of no more lockdowns and mask mandates is obviously a "Hail Mary." He has to praying that no lethal variants occur on his watch. I hope he already understands, running a government boils down to a couple of unpleasant choices.

I joined the CPC to work for Mr. Charest, but I am prepared to keep an open mind regarding Mr. PoiLievre. One of his tasks will be to cultivate a good relationship with journalists. The incident with the reporter could have been handled better by listening to what the reporter was asking, apologising for the "no questions" idea, and then inviting Mr. Aitkin's questions. Providing open accessibility to the media is the best way to avoid the lable of being afraid of them.

Take a lesson from the great Johnny Cash. He was asked how he would respond if a fan comes up to his table in a restaurant, asking for an autograph. "Put down my fork. I can afford this meal because of fans like that and the least I can do is give them some of my time."

Mr. PoiLievre could outshine the PM by actually answering questions with detailed answers. If you are afraid of the answer, it is a good idea to resolve the reason why.

While the voters are a venal bunch, they are also a lot smarter than some politicians think and the First rule in politics is the voter is ALWAYS right.

Edited by Queenmandy85

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

Trudeau's been criticized heavily, both in the media and just generally, for his bromidic platitudes and vapid "sunny day" answers.  

Every time he opens his mouth I can pretty much pre-empt what he's going to say by stringing together words like, "As Canadians, we have to be look forward to the future and we can be proud of how Canadian we are in our hope for Canada and something something Unity blah blah blah."  

Trudeau gets away with it (sort of) because by now the majority of Canadians are convinced he's well-meaning, albeit shallow and not that bright. Poilievre can't afford such a reputation. He needs to be seen as bright and knowledgeable. He'll have to start answering questions before long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What world do you live in ?  Watch this clip:

Wow. I don't even know what to say about the hyperactive bias filter in your brain.

You found one example of Trump refusing to answer a question from a fake news reporter (who most likely had already framed a few politically charged false narratives as questions to him just before that) and pretended not to know that Trump took questions from those cackling hyenas on a constant basis.

Like I said, Trump answered more questions from Accoster and other CNN/MSNBC losers every month than Biden will voluntarily take from Peter Ducey in his entire 4 years, and Ducey on a bad day is still far more polite than Acosta on a good day. You'll note that I'm not even hedging my bets by using words like "might", because I'm not worried that I'll ever be proven wrong on that one. 

Pierre Polievre "gets away" with saying all sorts of stupid shit too.  All of his talk about central banks and bitcoin etc are complete nonsense and he's smart and educated enough to know that.  He's just making the noises the rabble want to hear and he got elected party leader because of the dumb stuff he says, rather than anything smart.  Now that he controls the party, he can maybe start talking like a real leader with real ideas rather than screeching his base's talking points back to them.  

5 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Trudeau gets away with it (sort of) because by now the majority of Canadians are convinced he's well-meaning, albeit shallow and not that bright. Poilievre can't afford such a reputation. He needs to be seen as bright and knowledgeable. He'll have to start answering questions before long.

Remember what happened to Sarah Palin when she actually had to answer some unscripted questions. 

1 minute ago, Moonbox said:

Pierre Polievre "gets away" with saying all sorts of stupid shit too.  All of his talk about central banks and bitcoin etc are complete nonsense and he's smart and educated enough to know that.  He's just making the noises the rabble want to hear and he got elected party leader because of the dumb stuff he says, rather than anything smart.  Now that he controls the party, he can maybe start talking like a real leader with real ideas rather than screeching his base's talking points back to them.  

The Convoy types actually think he's one of them. ?

Same trick Trump played. 

6 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

1. You found one example of Trump refusing to answer a question from a fake news reporter 

2. Like I said, Trump answered more questions from Accoster and other CNN/MSNBC losers every month than Biden will voluntarily take from Peter Ducey in his entire 4 years,  

1. Yeah.  Do you want more ?  I am guessing that you are learning something here and I am eager to teach you.

2. Show your math.  Seems exaggerated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Akin was a Conservative plant so they can raise money.  

At least, that’s what I’ve been hearing….  Who is to say what’s true though, right?

You gotta admit, that sounds pretty conspiratorial, and it's coming from a guy who no doubt advocates for masks & the Pflacebo (the two tinfoil hats of the 21st century), as well as theories like bat-pangolin-human trios, "it was unlikely that there was H2H transmission of the 2020 coronavirus", "it's racist to block flights from covid hotspots", the sudden rise of Dem election integrity, FBI integrity, LPOC democracy, a wildly fascist Freedom Convoy, etc. 

Sorry but I gotta put a huge asterisk beside any of your new theories and prognostications.

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

It's not supposed to come from reporters. Or have you ever seen Trudeau even pressed heavily on the non-answers he always gives them?

I have seen enough press conferences by people, be they politicians, sports or celebrities, where reporters shouted out questions and heckled that I am not the least bit surprised.

18 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Yeah.  Do you want more ?  I am guessing that you are learning something here and I am eager to teach you.

2. Show your math.  Seems exaggerated.

1) Of course there are more. There are dozens more. But each one is an example of a time when Trump had back-and-forth exchanges with several members of the media, and the vast majority of them would be considered quite biased, and quite hostile towards him. 

When does Biden ever do more than just take a few carefully scripted questions from reporters who were carefully selected in advance?

Biden reads from the teleprompter once in a while, that's it. The majority of questions directed at the WH have to be answered by underlings, because they speak fluent English. 

7 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

1) Of course there are more. There are dozens more.

2) But each one is an example of a time when Trump had back-and-forth exchanges with several members of the media, and the vast majority of them would be considered quite biased, and quite hostile towards him. 

3) When does Biden ever do more than just take a few carefully scripted questions from reporters who were carefully selected in advance?

1) 

2) Oh... so it's ok when your guy doesn't like the reporter.  Got it...
3) Biden likely died 8 years ago.  Poilievre though is alive, vibrant, and full of piss, vinegar, and Bitcoin (originally from the government $)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

2) Oh... so it's ok when your guy doesn't like the reporter.  Got it...

Do you understand the difference between:

1 "Taking several questions from CNN and all kinds of other hostile, lying media members every week, and occasionally getting mad for good reason" (Trump)

2 "Taking a few questions a month, but only from pre-screened reporters with scripted questions that are designed to fit your narrative, and never from anyone who might ask a real question" (Biden)

3 "If any non-sycophant media members get within 100 yards of me, put them face-down on the ground" (Trudeau)

Yeah, it's ABSOLUTELY ok for Trump to get mad at stupid people for regurgitating the same stupid lies all the time, because at least he was in the mix, talking to his constituents.

How many questions does Biden take about his son's surprisingly lucrative deals with the communist bank of China? That's a real topic. How many questions did Trump take about Russian collusion, which the MSM knew to be fake for over a year before they stopped talking about it? 

Trump signed up to play the game, then he took the ball down the center of the field. Biden signed up to play the exact same game, but he lives in a bunker and refuses to even set foot on the field. He's a no-show. 

I hope that you can understand all of this now that I've explained it to you, but you should ask yourself how it's possible that you never even noticed in the first place. Or even after the lat big hint I gave you.