The Myth of Black Slavery in Canada. The Big Lie.

Bill67

Anyone who works in Canada has had to sit through Diversity training. Listen to lies about systemic racism and imaginary oppression. Let's fact check anti black racism and the lies about blacks being enslaved in Canada.

The Conquest of New France by the British in 1763 gave New France to the British Empire.  Yes, pre-confederation, which predates Canada, there was slavery. The colonists and British parliament were quick to end slavery.

Upper Canada (which is now Ontario) abolished slavery in 1793/94 which predates Canada. In 1834, slavery was banned in all British colonies. This is 33 years before Canada existed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_Against_Slavery

On March 25, 1807, the slave trade was abolished throughout the British Empire – of which British North America was a part – making it illegal to buy or sell human beings and ending much of the transatlantic trade. 

On Prince Edward Island, the complete abolition of slavery was pronounced by the legislature on 1825, nine years before the Imperial abolition of 1834.

https://humanrights.ca/story/the-story-of-slavery-in-canadian-history

Now we know Canada that never had slavery but France and Britain did in their colonies. Of course, Canada is not responsible for the actions of the previous empires that ruled here but for context, the extent of slavery here should be explored.

Between 1671 and 1834, there was an estimated 1, 400 Black slaves in the colonies. For the entire 17th century, there were only  7 slaves who were Blacks in the colonies.

After 1760, the number of Black slaves in the colony increased considerably, from 300 to more than 800.  

In the 1800's, the numbers also dropped with the above laws impacting the legality of slavery. Canada saved many slaves through the Underground Railroad. In 1834, there were less than 800 Black slaves in the colony.

At the time of Confederation, there were zero Black slaves in Canada. Obviously, the few hundred former slaves experienced inter generational trauma. We are now in 2022 and hearing more and more about how racist and oppressive Canada is. 

Are we to believe these few hundred people from 1834 that were enslaved are still oppressed? It's been almost 200 years.

Do Jewish people claim oppression in 2022 because of Nazi Germany in the 30 and 40's? 

Chinese people do not claim they face "barriers " in 2022 because of the Chinese Head Tax.

Japanese are not talking about inter generational trauma despite WW2.

All of three aforementioned groups do better than " whites " in earnings. Yet each has a legitimate claim to having faced systemic barriers and oppression. Why does only one group, based on a few hundred people 200 years ago, suffer from inter generational trauma?

Now, we also have to believe that all Black people experience intergenerational trauma from slavery. Even immigrants from Africa who were never enslaved. Even people who immigrated here and are highly successful and would NEVER go back to their country of origin. People like Desmond and Anthony Morgan. Professional race baiters, according to some, selling their grift. Morgan makes 150k/year " fighting anti black racism" in Toronto. This is tax payers dollars.

The anti black racism unit actually has racist programs that are only available to black people. Interesting that an anti racism unit engages in racial discrimination with tax dollars.

https://www.sunshineliststats.com/Salary/anthonymorgan/2021/9/?employer=cityoftoronto

How about Canadians who suffered through WW1, the depression, and WW2? That impacted millions and millions of people less than a hundred years ago but they recovered.

If someone was one of the 1,000 people linked to pre Canada slavery, they had 7 generations to recover. 200 years to learn a trade/skill , start a business, acquire wealth. That is not a disadvantage. 

No one mentions in these diversity sessions that Indigenous and Blacks were also slave owners and that slavery pre existed European arrival. It was a common practice.

Slave-owning people of what became Canada were, for example, the fishing societies, such as the Yurok, that lived along the Pacific coast from Alaska to California,[7] on what is sometimes described as the Pacific or Northern Northwest Coast. Some of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast, such as the Haida and Tlingit, were traditionally known as fierce warriors and slave-traders, raiding as far as California. Slavery was hereditary, the slaves being prisoners of war and their descendants were slaves.[8] Some nations in British Columbia continued to segregate and ostracize the descendants of slaves as late as the 1970s.

Despite the British Empire abolishing Slavery, it continued in Africa. The African slavers continued to sell Black people and still do to this day.

On any given day in 2016, an estimated 9.2 million men, women, and children were living in modern slavery in Africa. The region has the highest rate of prevalence, with 7.6 people living in modern slavery for every 1,000 people in the region.

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/2018/findings/regional-analysis/africa/#:~:text=Index%3A Africa Report.-,Prevalence within Africa,1%2C000 people in the region.

Canada. Wake up. You're being fed lies and division and hate. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada

https://www.historymuseum.ca/virtual-museum-of-new-france/population/slavery/#:~:text=The slave population (show),and one-third were Blacks.

https://www.sunshineliststats.com/Salary/anthonymorgan/2021/9/?employer=cityoftoronto

Edited by Bill67
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bill67 said:

Are we to believe these few hundred people from 1834 that were enslaved are still oppressed? It's been almost 200 years.

Your post seems to imply that black Canadians didn't live under slavery to the degree that American blacks did, so they're ok.

Why are you making this post?

And why tarnish other races for also owning slaves?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bill67 said:

Anyone who works in Canada has had to sit through Diversity training. Listen to lies about systemic racism and imaginary oppression. Let's fact check anti black racism and the lies about blacks being enslaved in Canada.

The Conquest of New France by the British in 1763 gave New France to the British Empire.  Yes, pre-confederation, which predates Canada, there was slavery. The colonists and British parliament were quick to end slavery.

Upper Canada (which is now Ontario) abolished slavery in 1793/94 which predates Canada. In 1834, slavery was banned in all British colonies. This is 33 years before Canada existed.

On March 25, 1807, the slave trade was abolished throughout the British Empire – of which British North America was a part – making it illegal to buy or sell human beings and ending much of the transatlantic trade. 

On Prince Edward Island, the complete abolition of slavery was pronounced by the legislature on 1825, nine years before the Imperial abolition of 1834.

Now we know Canada that never had slavery but France and Britain did in their colonies. Of course, Canada is not responsible for the actions of the previous empires that ruled here but for context, the extent of slavery here should be explored.

Between 1671 and 1834, there was an estimated 1, 400 Black slaves in the colonies. For the entire 17th century, there were only  7 slaves who were Blacks in the colonies.

After 1760, the number of Black slaves in the colony increased considerably, from 300 to more than 800.  

In the 1800's, the numbers also dropped with the above laws impacting the legality of slavery. Canada saved many slaves through the Underground Railroad. In 1834, there were less than 800 Black slaves in the colony.

At the time of Confederation, there were zero Black slaves in Canada. Obviously, the few hundred former slaves experienced inter generational trauma. We are now in 2022 and hearing more and more about how racist and oppressive Canada is. 

Now, we also have to believe that all Black people experience intergenerational trauma from slavery. Even immigrants from Africa who were never enslaved. Even people who immigrated here and are highly successful and would NEVER go back to their country of origin. People like Desmond and Anthony Morgan. Professional race baiters selling their grift. Morgan makes 150k/year " fighting anti black racism" in Toronto.

No one mentions in these diversity sessions that Indigenous and Blacks were also slave owners and that slavery pre existed European arrival. It was a common practice.

Slave-owning people of what became Canada were, for example, the fishing societies, such as the Yurok, that lived along the Pacific coast from Alaska to California,[7] on what is sometimes described as the Pacific or Northern Northwest Coast. Some of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast, such as the Haida and Tlingit, were traditionally known as fierce warriors and slave-traders, raiding as far as California. Slavery was hereditary, the slaves being prisoners of war and their descendants were slaves.[8] Some nations in British Columbia continued to segregate and ostracize the descendants of slaves as late as the 1970s.

Despite the British Empire abolishing Slavery, it continued in Africa. The African slavers continued to sell Black people and still do to this day.

On any given day in 2016, an estimated 9.2 million men, women, and children were living in modern slavery in Africa. The region has the highest rate of prevalence, with 7.6 people living in modern slavery for every 1,000 people in the region.

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/2018/findings/regional-analysis/africa/#:~:text=Index%3A Africa Report.-,Prevalence within Africa,1%2C000 people in the region.

https://www.historymuseum.ca/virtual-museum-of-new-france/population/slavery/#:~:text=The slave population (show),and one-third were Blacks.

Excellent post with much very important information.  I also read that, back in history probably before colonization, aboriginals who took slaves sometimes treated them brutally or killed them.  I once found an arrowhead near a tiny island which was called Massacre Island.  Apparently the aboriginal women and children, who lived on the island, were killed by another tribe when the men were away probably hunting.  

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Your post seems to imply that black Canadians didn't live under slavery to the degree that American blacks did, so they're ok.

I think he pointed out since Canada became a country in 1867, there were no black slaves in Canada.  Slavery had been abolished around 200 years ago and prior to that time, when it did exist, it was a relatively small number in British North America.  So what is all the outrage about slavery in Canada?

I think it is clear aboriginals in north America were not the saints in history prior to colonization many seem to try to portray themselves as.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) His post doesn't imply - it "proves".

2) Are you honestly trying to say that there are still black people here who are suffering 'intergenerational trauma' from something that happened to less than 800 people over 170 years ago? 

Why ask such a stupid question? 

Do you not understand the concept of historical context?

FYI slavery was the most normal thing in the world to everyone, everywhere, for every single moment of recorded history, yet diversity trainers [and people like you] talk about it like it was unique to America and Britain. That's 100% wrong. 

Do you know what actually was unique to America and Britain? Being a world power and abolishing slavery.

Just learn this MH: The Persians, Chinese, Assyrians, Egyptians, Greeks, Moors, Hittites, Ottomans, Mongols, Umayyads, Huns, Aztecs, and every other world power that you can name had slaves, and none of them even considered abolishing slavery. Abolishing slavery when you are in a position of power is a uniquely British & American policy. 

You're trying to vilify Canada for our role in slave ownership when 0.000000% of the Canadians ever experienced slavery for more than 1 second. 

FFS dude, I know that you can't se the stupidity in your comments, but at least stay out of the conversation if you're that clueless. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

1) His post doesn't imply - it "proves".

Once again - the post wasn't to you.  But I will address the first point:

1) " black Canadians didn't live under slavery to the degree that American blacks did, so they're ok." His post most certainly doesn't prove that they are ok.

Make your own posts if you want to say something.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

I think it is clear aboriginals in north America were not the saints in history prior to colonization many seem to try to portray themselves as.

No matter how much we spin, mythologize, or sugar-coat things it'll always remain clearer that our culture was the bigger sphincter.

• Like 1

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

His own post says they did.

We had a few U-Boats full of Kriegsmarines stray into our area, too.

The biggest slave holders in Canada were coastal tribes in British Columbia. Haida and such. Their technological advantages allowed them to terrorize many weaker tribes with impunity.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

The biggest slave holders in Canada were coastal tribes in British Columbia. Haida and such. Their technological advantages allowed them to terrorize many weaker tribes with impunity.

Your claim: " slaves and indentured servants didn't end-up here" is incorrect.

The proper response is "good point thanks for updating me"... not some new claim about Haida or somesuch.  You have been here long enough, you need to start acting like a seasoned poster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The proper response is "good point thanks for updating me"... not some new claim about Haida or somesuch.  You have been here long enough, you need to start acting like a seasoned poster.

Incorrect in that yes, they did "end up here" but they ended up here because they were running from slavery in the United States or elsewhere. Canada was a safe haven.

I think the point was Canada did not have slaves or slavery for itself.

1 minute ago, ExFlyer said:

1. Incorrect in that yes, they did "end up here" but they ended up here because they were running from slavery in the United States or elsewhere. Canada was a safe haven.

2. I think the point was Canada did not have slaves or slavery for itself.

1. Your correction is itself incorrect.  There WERE freed slaves in Canada but they were no longer referred to as "slaves".  I did some searches on home owners in Toronto and found some listed as "African" alongside "Irish" and "French".  

The slaves that existed in pre-confederation Canada were not living in a safe haven, they belonged to people.

2. "Canada" being British North America post-American independence had slaves for a period, yes.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

That a handful of people ended up in Pre-Confederation Canada for various reasons is minor next to the millions shipped to the rest of North and South America. But if one wishes to imagine a Canada where everybody owned slaves...have at it.

The biggest slave holders in Canada were the natives I mentioned. I leave it to you to travel to the Queen Charlottes etc to admonish them. But let's face it...folks don't give a rat's rear about those particular slaves.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

1. That a handful of people ended up in Pre-Confederation Canada for various reasons is minor next to the millions shipped to the rest of North and South America.

2. But if one wishes to imagine a Canada where everybody owned slaves...have at it.

3. The biggest slave holders in Canada were the natives I mentioned. I leave it to you to travel to the Queen Charlottes etc to admonish them. But let's face it...folks don't give a rat's rear about those particular slaves.

1. Agreed
2. Nobody wants to do that
3. New point, which you keep repeating although I have not even commented on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

1. Don't care.

2. Don't care.

3. Don't care.

FYI: Someone who posts a response cares.  Even if it's "Don't Care" posted THREE times....

I am fine to let you off the hook if you make a mistake, but if you want to be a stubborn donkey and respond to honest corrections by telling me all about the Haida I won't let you off the hook.  Sorry.

Edited by Michael Hardner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

FYI: Someone who posts a response cares.  Even if it's "Don't Care" posted THREE times....

I am fine to let you off the hook if you make a mistake, but if you want to be a stubborn donkey and respond to honest corrections by telling me all about the Haida I won't let you off the hook.  Sorry.

Let me off the hook? I still don't care.

You can pretend that Canada had slavery outside the Natives who practiced it if you like. It's not going to change my day at all.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Let me off the hook? I still don't care.

You can pretend that Canada had slavery outside the Natives who practiced it if you like. It's not going to change my day at all.

And that's the point - no change. When enough people play whataboutism to get Canada off the hook it clearly puts the brakes on progress.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Once again - the post wasn't to you.  But I will address the first point:

1) " black Canadians didn't live under slavery to the degree that American blacks did, so they're ok." His post most certainly doesn't prove that they are ok.

Make your own posts if you want to say something.

OK, here's my own post...

Some people are saying ignorant and inflammatory things here, Michael Hardner for instance, so I'm just gonna say a few things to put everything into perspective:

1) The opening post is informative and thorough, and it sheds a lot of light on the bogus narratives of our so-called "diversity training" here in Canada.

2) Some people honestly think that there are black people here who are still suffering 'intergenerational trauma' from something that happened to less than 800 people over 170 years ago. That's really stupid. 

Here's some important historical context regarding slavery:

FYI slavery was the most normal thing in the world to everyone, everywhere, for every single moment of recorded history, yet diversity trainers [and people like you] talk about it like it was unique to America and Britain. That's 100% wrong. 

What actually was unique to America and Britain is being a world power and abolishing slavery.

It's important to understand that the Persians, Chinese, Assyrians, Egyptians, Greeks, Moors, Hittites, Ottomans, Mongols, Umayyads, Huns, Aztecs, and every other world power that you can name had slaves, and none of them even considered abolishing slavery. Abolishing slavery when you are in a position of power is a uniquely British & American policy. 

Some fools are still trying to vilify Canada for our role in slave ownership when 0.000000% of the Canadians ever born experienced slavery for more than 1 second. 

FFS, I know that leftists can't see the stupidity in their comments, but they should at least stay out of the conversation if they're that clueless. 

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

1) The opening post is informative and thorough, and it sheds a lot of light on the bogus narratives of our so-called "diversity training" here in Canada.

The 2nd post however, mine, blew it's point right out off the water.

I haven't had a single moment's diversity/sensitivity training and I do indeed have official government documents that identify me as the Master.

How do you explain that?

I'm even old and white...it defies explanation given all that's been said about a government that is lazer focused on purging any sort of indication, identifier or language that smacks of oppression. 

Edited by eyeball

13 hours ago, Bill67 said:

Do Jewish people claim oppression in 2022 because of Nazi Germany in the 30 and 40's? 

Chinese people do not claim they face "barriers " in 2022 because of the Chinese Head Tax.

Japanese are not talking about inter generational trauma despite WW2.

All of three aforementioned groups do better than " whites " in earnings. Yet each has a legitimate claim to having faced systemic barriers and oppression. Why does only one group, based on a few hundred people 200 years ago, suffer from inter generational trauma?

Now, we also have to believe that all Black people experience intergenerational trauma from slavery. Even immigrants from Africa who were never enslaved. Even people who immigrated here and are highly successful and would NEVER go back to their country of origin. People like Desmond and Anthony Morgan. Professional race baiters, according to some, selling their grift. Morgan makes 150k/year " fighting anti black racism" in Toronto. This is tax payers dollars.

The anti black racism unit actually has racist programs that are only available to black people. Interesting that an anti racism unit engages in racial discrimination with tax dollars.

How about Canadians who suffered through WW1, the depression, and WW2? That impacted millions and millions of people less than a hundred years ago but they recovered.

If someone was one of the 1,000 people linked to pre Canada slavery, they had 7 generations to recover. 200 years to learn a trade/skill , start a business, acquire wealth. That is not a disadvantage. 

Canada. Wake up. You're being fed lies and division and hate. 

What you talking about? The aboriginals lived a utopia before whitey showed up dontchaknow?

37 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Your correction is itself incorrect.  There WERE freed slaves in Canada but they were no longer referred to as "slaves".  I did some searches on home owners in Toronto and found some listed as "African" alongside "Irish" and "French".  

The slaves that existed in pre-confederation Canada were not living in a safe haven, they belonged to people.

2. "Canada" being British North America post-American independence had slaves for a period, yes.

Not sure what you are saying. I said that "they were running from slavery in the United States or elsewhere. Canada was a safe haven. " Is that incorrect?

1. You seeing Africans listed next to Irish and French means what? that they were slaves? Or servants? The point the OP was making was that in pre confederation Canada, there  were none and if there were,  the amount was infinitesimal and that the aboriginals had far more.

2. I do not know what you are saying.