Young men are in crisis

I am Groot

I caught this on my youtube lineup just now and thought it was pretty accurate and worth discussing. Bill Maher discussing issues with Scott Galloway and Matt Welch, and Galloway points out that the freshman class at universities has 50% more women than men - and that women with degrees rarely marry men without. He also points out that the most violent societies in the world are those with a lot of young men who can't find mates, can't find jobs, and don't feel valued by society. Young men are twice as likely to be suspended from school. Seventy percent of high school valedictorians are women. Only one in three men under the age of thirty have had sex in the last year. He blames Tinder and social media, saying that men outnumber women two to one on dating sites and just ten percent of them get 90% of the attention from women on those sites. Men aren't learning how to socialize with women or each other when they're their phones and computers all the time.

Another odd factoid I picked up recently from youtube is that 75% of the young people who volunteer to join the US army (the great majority being males) are rejected, primarily for being obese. So it sounds like young men are just not connecting with society. They're sitting in their rooms playing video games, eating garbage, not caring about school, not able to get girlfriends, and thinking they'll never get a good job so screw it all.

Many claims are very far from true, I am from this generation, and don't worry I'm good with the 'kids are not getting laid! 60% of them don't have sex!!!' part, I am very happy with my year so far, and the last one, and the prior as well if you were interested in knowing, because you seem to care about my demographics and not really giving a good take. I know that you care, but sometimes I think people like you get a bit too confident in their abilities in giving an appropriate answer to a problem, because you don't get the problems. If you don't frame a problem well... The worse way to fix a problem is to exaggerate a situation or a problem, I'll give you a quick example.

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Only one in three men under the age of thirty have had sex in the last year.

The truth is actually the opposite. Only 30% (rounded percentage) of under 30s didn't have sex last year.

Frequency-of-sex-by-age-1.jpg

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/06/iub/releases/15-sexual-inactivity-young-men-united-states-no-sex-debby-herbenick.html

Nearly 1 in 3 young men in the US report having no sex, study finds

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Another odd factoid I picked up recently from youtube is that 75% of the young people who volunteer to join the US army (the great majority being males) are rejected, primarily for being obese

This other statistic is blatantly wrong.

75% of the total population is inapt to enroll in the army -you are referring to very obese person, yes, but also the elderly, children, but also many disabled people, or people with illnesses-, but not 75% of the young people who volunteer are obese and rejected. You are dramatizing.

---

I'm not saying my generation has no problems. We have!

But they are related to costs of living, low wages, rigid management, poor social cohesion in many areas where isolation is profound, rent too high... but what you are talking about is delegitimizing many of my generations' problems, with dumb assertions.

To fix a problem, you have to name it correctly, and frame it correctly.

You are not doing that. You are out of touch. Please think about it sincerely. 

I know, you may say I am young and don't have perspective. But you have no idea of what you're talking about.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

The truth is actually the opposite. Only 30% (rounded percentage) of under 30s didn't have sex last year.

Yes, I went back and listened again. I misquoted Galloway. But that's still a record.

This other statistic is blatantly wrong.

75% of the total population 

I was quoting this guy at the 4:15 mark, who ought to know what he's talking about. He was the army Lt General in charge of recruitment and training.

But they are related to costs of living, low wages, rigid management, poor social cohesion in many areas where isolation is profound, rent too high... but what you are talking about is delegitimizing many of my generations' problems, with dumb assertions.

First, no it does nothing of the sort. Second, how dumb are they really?

Furthermore, 22 percent of millennials in the poll said they had zero friends. Twenty-seven percent said they had “no close friends,” 30 percent said they have “no best friends,”  https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/8/1/20750047/millennials-poll-loneliness

I'm sure economics is a frustrating part of unhappiness. But economics have less to do with happiness than having social connections and a mate. How happy are you if you have a million dollars but no friends? And the numbers of people feeling isolated and lonely are growing, especially among young men.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Yes, I went back and listened again. I misquoted Galloway. But that's still a record.

A forum contributor admitting he might have been incorrect of misquoting! I love it. I have to give you respect for that. For being a record, it might be, but it is also more a consequence than a cause of our issues in our generation. Isolation, poor salaries, make it hard for many to date in a career-focused world, whilst most live paycheck to paycheck...

I was quoting this guy at the 4:15 mark, who ought to know what he's talking about. He was the army Lt General in charge of recruitment and training.

I rest my case, he said that 75% of the 18-24 year old applying to the Army were rejected and the number 1 reason was obesity. Obesity caused by sedentary lifestyle, but also bad/poor diet, but also education. He mentioned that only 5 out of the 50 States had a standard for PE across the States, and many of the 45 did not have regulations at all for PE, which means that many  States are left with poor budgets, and schools are underfunded which impacts the children of the USA. It is fixable.

1.First, no it does nothing of the sort. 2.Second, how dumb are they really?

3.Furthermore, 22 percent of millennials in the poll said they had zero friends. Twenty-seven percent said they had “no close friends,” 30 percent said they have “no best friends,”  https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/8/1/20750047/millennials-poll-loneliness

4. I'm sure economics is a frustrating part of unhappiness. But economics have less to do with happiness than having social connections and a mate. How happy are you if you have a million dollars but no friends? And the numbers of people feeling isolated and lonely are growing, especially among young men.

1. I think by exaggerating certain facts, you are delegitimizing many of your good assertions.

2. They may be dumb by the sense that you're bringing up certain subjects without knowing the issue at hand, once again refer to point 1.

3. This is something spoken about in America for at least a half of a century. Social Capital in America in on the decline drastically since at least the 1950s. Bowling Alone is a good book to learn more about the social fractures in America caused by its economic system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Alone

4. If the economic system makes you work full time as a couple to barely keep up with spending and soaring prices, it will cut you off the people you like.

Edited by QuebecOverCanada