The Queen kicks the bucket

West

8 hours ago, Jack9000 said:

Sad day she was a strong lady. Could of at least had the respect to make a nicer title then this 

Agree. He could have said she took a dirt nap at least to show respect.

I guess now I am relieved from my oath to the Queen of England.

The "her heirs and successors" part was untenable from the start.  How can one swear allegiance to potential pedophiles and God knows what, just because they all came from the same spawn?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, cougar said:

The "her heirs and successors" part was untenable from the start.  How can one swear allegiance to potential pedophiles and God knows what, just because they all came from the same spawn?

because since 1688 nations with this monarchy as their head of state have flourished more and been freer than any other nations on the planet

with the only exception being America, who were once ruled by that monarchy

which is a big reason why they have been so successful and free as well

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

because since 1688 nations with this monarchy as their head of state have flourished more and been freer than any other nations on the planet

Freedom is relative.   Explain it to the residential school survivors how free they were.  Or to the beggars on the streets.

6 minutes ago, cougar said:

Freedom is relative.   Explain it to the residential school survivors how free they were.  Or to the beggars on the streets.

still a better record than nations that don't live under this monarchy

with only one exception that has never been successfully emulated by anyone who has overthrown their monarchy since

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

still a better record than nations that don't live under this monarchy

I am not going to argue as I know how that will go - ten useless pages added to this thread.

Anyways, I was listening to the radio and everyone was saying "Sad day, sad day".   Yeah, tell me it is a sad day, because otherwise I will not even notice. 

Do you feel sad?  I don't.  Not that I will cheer at anyone dying, but I had no direct contacts with the Queen, and for this reason she did not mean much to me.  Ninety six years is a respectable age - God give that many years to all of us!

As for her achievements, I listened....and listened....and....listened some more and could not really identify much.  Maybe it is just the way my brain works, stupid me.

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I concur

Yeah, you can insult me, but I do not care about this either; as you can see I can insult myself no problem.

The only way to get me is for you to provide some logical arguments, tell me why I should be sad, or what grand achievements the Queen accomplished.

I heard the following mentions:

- how many thousands of pieces of mail she handled (achievement??)

- how many trips she made in her 70 years on the throne (achievement??)

- how many countries she had visited  (achievement??)

-how she served 70 years while a typical police officer retired after only 20 years!!!

This last comparison could make me laugh.   You compare the years of service of officers who are risking their lives daily in armed confrontations with the dregs of our society with years of Royal Visits around the world - all smiles, best foods, best health care, best everything for you.  Oh my!

Another proof of how media manipulates us daily.

But you listen to them.  Keep your handkerchief handy to wipe those tears of sadness when they tell you to.  Then roll up your sleeve to take the 10th booster shot when they ask.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cougar said:

Yeah, you can insult me, but I do not care about this either; as you can see I can insult myself no problem.

The only way to get me is for you to provide some logical arguments, tell me why I should be sad, or what grand achievements the Queen accomplished.

I heard the following mentions:

- how many thousands of pieces of mail she handled (achievement??)

- how many trips she made in her 70 years on the throne (achievement??)

- how many countries she had visited  (achievement??)

-how she served 70 years while a typical police officer retired after only 20 years!!!

This last comparison could make me laugh.   You compare the years of service of officers who are risking their lives daily in armed confrontations with the dregs of our society with years of Royal Visits around the world - all smiles, best foods, best health care, best everything for you.  Oh my!

Another proof of how media manipulates us daily.

But you listen to them.  Keep your handkerchief handy to wipe those tears of sadness when they tell you to.  Then roll up your sleeve to take the 10th booster shot when they ask.

she was the head of state for 70 years

and she handled those duties gracefully

I can think of no one who could have done a better job in her place

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

she was the head of state for 70 years

and she handled those duties gracefully

I can think of no one who could have done a better job in her place

Whatever.  I agree.

9 hours ago, West said:

Well I could've raised the fact she raised a pedophile but I did not. 

She's only viewed in a positive light because that's the narrative that's shaped around her life. In reality her family is dysfunctional af. 

Most families are.  They also live a weird life so I understand why some would come out weird.  I don't see how this reflects on her.

12 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Regardless of anyones views, King Charles will be our king for life. Australia, or Britain could abolish the monarchy but the Canadian Constitution has locked the Crown in place so deeply, we will likely be a Constitutional Monarchy until the end of time. 

That is a sad fact. The monarchy is a waste of time and money and really in opposition to everything modern democracies stand for: virtually irrevocable power, privilege and wealth by birth, immunity from many/most laws etc. 

It would however be quite entertaining to see Charles, William, William’s kidd, and Harry all abdicate just so Archie could ascend the throne and send the conservative monarchists into a tizzy over his quarter-negro heritage. THEN everyone would conveniently discover a quick and simple way to end the monarchy. 

32 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

That is a sad fact. The monarchy is a waste of time and money and really in opposition to everything modern democracies stand for: virtually irrevocable power, privilege and wealth by birth, immunity from many/most laws etc. 

It would however be quite entertaining to see Charles, William, William’s kidd, and Harry all abdicate just so Archie could ascend the throne and send the conservative monarchists into a tizzy over his quarter-negro heritage. THEN everyone would conveniently discover a quick and simple way to end the monarchy. 

republics are generally far worse than British constitutional monarchy

there is only one major exception

this monarchy is not a waste of time and money

precisely the opposite is true

Edited by Yzermandius19

36 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

republics are generally far worse than British constitutional monarchy

there is only one major exception

this monarchy is not a waste of time and money

precisely the opposite is true

USA is a Republic and it’s far worse than Canada, but I don’t necessarily accept that we need to change all that much considering the monarchy is ceremonial and doesn’t ACTUALLY do anything. Politicians wield power in the monarchs name the same way Iran’s Ayatollah wields power in Allahs name. That doesn’t make it impossible to govern a country without Allah. 

At the very least we can just do away with  the British royalty  part and leave the head of state as the Governor General, an eminent non-political Canadian who has earned the honour instead of being born into it, and is already chosen by the PM anyway and currently simply rubber-stamped by the crown…we just do away with the rubber stamping part  

The castles and the pomp and ceremony…all a total waste of time and money. 

53 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

USA is a Republic and it’s far worse than Canada, but I don’t necessarily accept that we need to change all that much considering the monarchy is ceremonial and doesn’t ACTUALLY do anything. Politicians wield power in the monarchs name the same way Iran’s Ayatollah wields power in Allahs name. That doesn’t make it impossible to govern a country without Allah. 

At the very least we can just do away with  the British royalty  part and leave the head of state as the Governor General, an eminent non-political Canadian who has earned the honour instead of being born into it, and is already chosen by the PM anyway and currently simply rubber-stamped by the crown…we just do away with the rubber stamping part  

The castles and the pomp and ceremony…all a total waste of time and money. 

the GG is a partisan crony of the PM

that is not a better head of state than an apolitical monarch

your anti-monarchist position is not based in reason, but based on feelings

it has nothing to do with how well they do the job or how well an alternative would do the job

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Means...what?

Read Winston Churchill’s 5 volume History of the English Speaking Peoples.  Our institutions were forged through centuries of war, revolution, counter-revolution, invasion, trade, settlement…

The Crown going back over 1200 years  to Alfred represents continuity of the legacy that has given us much of what we value about modern civilization.

It’s a hybrid of the Roman administration and the northern popular assembly.  The system has worked very well, and I certainly value those influences over China and the UN.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

This. 

Republics aren't necessarily a bastion of freedom and democracy. 

France had kept backsliding back into Authoritarianism after they punted their monarchs. 

Denmark, Holland, Sweden, Japan all have figure-head monarchs and are amongst the most prosperous free countries in the world, aside from most of the Commonwealth. 

Edited by Boges

3 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the GG is a partisan crony of the PM

that is not a better head of state than an apolitical monarch

your anti-monarchist position is not based in reason, but based on feelings

it has nothing to do with how well they do the job or how well an alternative would do the job

So many falsehoods  You know nothing  and are in fact the one whose beliefs are based in feelings rather than reason  

First understand that the Canadian  GG does 99.999% of the monarchs job since the monarch is not in Canada  The GG doesn’t call up Buckingham Palace and ask permission to sign a law passed by Canadian parliament  The only time the monarch anything directly  to do with actual Canadian government duties is when they happen to be visiting Canada  

So even if you happen to wrongly believe that the GG is “a partisan crony of the PM” nothing really changes because the GG has already been doing the job of the monarch in Canada for a couple of generations now.

Second its wrong to say that they are “partisan cronies of the PM”.   Canadas. GGs are famously non-partisan. Much like the monarchy, the GG role is in practice entirely ceremonial and they just rubber stamp whatever comes out of parliament. As unelected figures, neither the monarch nor the GG would ever dare use their powers to defy an elected parliament. Therefore, PMs have been quite comfortable selecting  non-partisan figures for the role. 

“The job” of the GG and the monarch both is to sign whatever parliament tells them to sign and give flowery feel-good speeches about being kind to your fellow humans, grateful for the thing’s you have, supporting charitable causes and offering “thoughts and prayers” in times of national tragedy. Regardless of whatever powers may exist on the books, in reality the role of the GG/monarch is now purely ceremonial. 

44 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Read Winston Churchill’s 5 volume History of the English Speaking People’s.  Our institutions were forged through centuries of war, revolution, counter-revolution, invasion, trade, settlement…

The Crown going back over 1200 years  to Alfred represents continuity of the legacy that has given us much of what we value about modern civilization.

It’s a hybrid of the Roman administration and the northern popular assembly.  The system has worked very well, and I certainly value those influences over China and the UN.

Its hard to argue that just because the same reason inbred family has sat on the throne for 1200 years we owe all our relatively recent successes to them. There were plenty of bloody civil wars horrible massacres,  famines persecutions etc during those 1200 years BTW. 

Britains success relative to other countries only occurs in recent centuries, not since medieval times,  and much of it is largely due to advances in the private sector after the onset of capitalism and government policy decisions that are increasingly decisions of parliament not the crown. And is it really so much more successful than other western European non-monarchies today? At best it is simply “as good as”

14 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

If you define "classy" as not mourning the passing of one of the most privileged people on the planet,

Spare me your woke whine about privilege. Anyone who lives in the West in this day and age is privileged above almost all people the world has ever seen. Your real complaint is you're a nobody with no accomplishments in life and nobody cares about you. You're jealous of the outpouring of respect for a woman who took on a job with enormous responsibilities and impressed the world with her dignity, wisdom, and sense of duty for longer than almost anyone else has been alive. And your jealousy lies in the fact that when you die nobody is going to take notice or give a damn.

14 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

So again why should I care about the queen?

Even if you didn't care it takes a real charmer to be yelling insults at the death of someone many others did care about. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, cougar said:

Well, no need to worry. I'm sure you'll be dead soon and then other people will be relieved, as well, that your caustic bitterness would no longer be inflicted on them.

• Confused 1