Is the killing of ten people in Sask. the result of Liberal's soft-on-crime policies?

Reportedly the suspect had been convicted 59 times of criminal offences, half of which were violent.  Yet the parole board which falls under the authority and jurisdiction of the federal government, deemed that he should be released even though it was agreed there was a good chance he would re-offend.  It was agreed he was into drugs since he was about 13 and that drugs and alcohol fueled anger and violence.  Another cabinet minister who is responsible for aboriginal affairs has recently been talking about aboriginals being over-represented in prisons and that something needed to be done about that.  I wonder if the release of this offender has something to do with the Liberal-NDP belief that there should be fewer aboriginal offenders in prisons and did this drive parole board policy in this case?  He was also apparently sent to a healing lodge at one time during his stints in prison.  This did not appear to have done any healing in spite of the claims about the benefits of healing lodges.  Should drug and alcohol and other social problems on reserves and the larger number of aboriginals in prisons be a factor in releasing offenders on parole?  Apparently the parole board thought if he would follow the rules they laid down and commit to regular meetings with a parole officer, everything would be honky dory.  What part does protection of the public play in their decisions?  These are a couple questions that need to asked.

Incidentally, the public safety minister, Marco Mendicino, just said in a news conference that now is not the time to talk about the cause of this;  he says we need to concentrate on support of the families and friends of the victims.  But I do not see it as any reason to evade discussion of the cause of this which Canadians want to understand.  I think as the top official responsible for the justice system and parole board, he has some tough questions to answer. 

Edited by blackbird

8 hours ago, blackbird said:

Reportedly the suspect had been convicted 59 times of criminal offences, half of which were violent.  Yet the parole board which falls under the authority and jurisdiction of the federal government, deemed that he should be released ......

some tough questions to answer. 

I do not think the system is soft on crime, it is bowing to the indigenous that claim they are being unduly imprisoned.

Lots of programs to release them

https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/002/002-0004-en.shtml

https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cntrng-crm/crrctns/cmmnt-ccrctns-nttv-prjcts-en.aspx

http://www.ajic.mb.ca/volumel/chapter12.html

Is it right? In my opinion, no. As too often the ones released are again, problematic. This guy had 59 criminal convictions, one being attempted murder to one of the people that were stabbed and killed.

Yes you can thank Trudeau's Pappa for this one. 

Also thank the "arresting a native is raaaacist" crowd. 

If a person is a threat to public safety they should be dealt with regardless of race or their addictions. Otherwise you end up with whack jobs like this taking people out.

Edited by West
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, blackbird said:

Is the killing of ten people in Sask. the result of Liberal's soft-on-crime policies?

Of course not.

I had a thread somewhere on here about a number of Canadian psychopaths with the observation that we can beat even the States in the per-capita generation of this type of genetic material.

Because , if it is not genes, then it has to be a result of our messed up society or toxic food and lifestyles.

5 hours ago, August1991 said:

Whether native, French, Black - we have to solve this problem.

Too many natives and Blacks are imprisoned.

At least the French have their own place: Quebec.

===

I favor federalism.

Why would that be?

Perhaps too many natives and blacks commit most crimes??

You don't get imprisoned for being nice.

Yes.

And, I wonder why no one from the community had tipped the cops if they know he was a wanted man for three months prior to this rampage. 

One of the victim's relatives is trying to connect this to residential schools! Baloney!

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, betsy said:

Yes.

And, I wonder why no one from the community had tipped the cops if they know he was a wanted man for three months prior to this rampage. 

One of the victim's relatives is trying to connect this to residential schools! Baloney!

Protectionism (or fear of reprisal) is a major reason crime is bad on "reservations".

The RCMP cannot get information from the community to assist in solving crimes so, the crime often stays unsolved.

• Like 1

The system is soft on crime for sure.  The laws, the judges and the system in general.  A psychopath with that many convictions should have been kept away from the public.

All of the deaths are thanks to our justice system, and the bleeding heart liberals that pushed through ridiculous laws.  

The media blaming it on the parole board is just an attempt to protect the liberal minded judges and soft on crime laws. 

Edited by sharkman

59 minutes ago, sharkman said:

The system is soft on crime for sure.  The laws, the judges and the system in general.  A psychopath with that many convictions should have been kept away from the public.

All of the deaths are thanks to our justice system, and the bleeding heart liberals that pushed through ridiculous laws.  

The media blaming it on the parole board is just an attempt to protect the liberal minded judges and soft on crime laws. 

"Twenty-five years ago, Parliament enacted section 718.2(e) of the Criminal Code. Its purpose was to lower Canada’s high incarceration rate by requiring sentencing judges to consider all alternative sanctions to prisons, particularly for Indigenous offenders. "

When Harper was PM

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2022/01/03/canada-must-end-the-over-incarceration-of-indigenous-people.html

On 9/9/2022 at 6:20 AM, sharkman said:

What about the effect of hard assed conservative attitudes towards crime and more generally native people generally? I think it's fair to characterize the conservative line on indigenous issues as being hard vs a liberal line which is given/taken to be soft. I can't help but feel the end result of this over time is that First Nations are presented with a fundamentally dichotomous line that misses everyone's mark, especially First Nations.

I think August is wrong - we need less federalism and more local autonomy. I think the idea of a separate First Nations police force, that I heard mentioned somewhere, should be attended by a seperate justice system as well.

In any case I really do think non native partisan divisions about what to do about natives is amongst the biggest hurdles facing native people.

Edited by eyeball

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

What about the effect of hard assed conservative attitudes towards crime and more generally native people generally? I think it's fair to characterize the conservative line on indigenous issues as being hard vs a liberal line which is given/taken to be soft. I can't help but feel the end result of this over time is that First Nations are presented with a fundamentally dichotomous line that misses everyone's mark, especially First Nations.

I think August is wrong - we need less federalism and more local autonomy. I think the idea of a separate First Nations police force, that I heard mentioned somewhere, should be attended by a seperate justice system as well.

In any case I really do think non native partisan divisions about what you do about natives is amongst the biggest hurdles facing native people.

To be honest with you, the hard line might be no better than the soft liberal one, when you look at the results.  But in this particular case, the one that this thread is about, the dude with 59 convictions shouldn’t  have been released.  
The law dictated his sentencing and the parole board’s actions.  It’s not the board’s fault when laws and judges dictate their actions, at least to a point.

The larger picture of First Nations issues, can be solved.  This summer I heard several First Nations speakers share what is on their hearts.  I was amazed to hear such courage and leadership.  

They shared the horrors of their childhood years, and I would trust leaders such as those, if they were tasked with finding solutions.  Our politicians do not have the moral fortitude to come up with meaningful solutions.

• Like 1