Darwin Strikes Again....

11 hours ago, robosmith said:

Do you KNOW ANYTHING about climate science? I ask because you're posting like an IDIOT pretending climate change is NOT hugely EXPENSIVE.

Oh I see the cost Sally.

Welcome to the artificially created and completely unnecessary recession.

11 hours ago, robosmith said:

We've been having record setting drought and wildfires almost every year lately. 

Don't live in a desert and clean your friggin' forests. You'll find both will relieve your stress.

Edited by Nationalist

9 minutes ago, Rebound said:

But you don’t need an engine or a transmission, which weigh around 750 pounds. 
Facts are a bitch. 

I'm talking about actual curb weights. Look them up for yourself.

The battery in a Tesla Model S weighs as much as the Cummins turbo diesel and transmission in a Ram 3500.

Edited by Aristides

10 hours ago, Aristides said:

I'm talking about actual curb weights. Look them up for yourself.

The battery in a Tesla Model S weighs as much as the Cummins turbo diesel and transmission in a Ram 3500.

The “curb weight” is the total weight of the vehicle, not the weight of individual parts, you bonehead. Teslas are the same or slightly heavier than other cars. OTOH, there are definitely many cars that weigh more than any Tesla. 

Edited by Rebound

Just now, Aristides said:

I know that you twit and EV's are heavier than their ICE counterparts because of the weight of their batteries. 

Gosh you bonehead, a Tesla isn’t the heaviest car you can buy, who the fck cares anyway about total weight of a car?  I’ve never heard somebody decide mot to buy a car cause it’s 500 pounds too heavy. Nobody cares. 

3 minutes ago, Rebound said:

How do you clean a forest?

Why am I not surprised by this?

A forest needs to have the dead wood cleaned out. It needs to have the underbrush controlled. Thinned out by cutting down trees and removing them.

That way...when a fire does start...it doesn't spread as fast and is easier to control.

Forest health is a responsibility. Not just a pretty picture in Vogue.

15 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Gosh you bonehead, a Tesla isn’t the heaviest car you can buy, who the fck cares anyway about total weight of a car?  I’ve never heard somebody decide mot to buy a car cause it’s 500 pounds too heavy. Nobody cares. 

Most current EVs use lithium-ion batteries that store no more than the equivalent of 16-24 kWh of energy in a single charge, short of the amount of energy in a gallon of gasoline. The Tesla, currently among the most powerful PEVs on the market, can store the equivalent of 53 kWh when fully charged. A subcompact car with a 10-gallon gas tank can store the energy equivalent of 7 Teslas, 15 Nissan Leafs or 23 Chevy Volts, according to industry sources.

http://www.menloenergy.com/?p=535

A single gallon of gas contains 36 kwh so a 1.5 gallons of gas contain the same amount of energy as that 53 kWh Tesla battery. Even if the Tesla's electric motors are 100% efficient (they aren't) and the ICE is only 30% efficient, the ICE would only need to carry 5 gallons of gas to match the energy contained in that 1200 lb battery. 

That is an old article and Tesla batteries are now up to 100 kWh but the ICE would only need 10 gallons of gas (70 lbs) to equal that.

Edited by Aristides

6 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

A forest needs to have the dead wood cleaned out. It needs to have the underbrush controlled. Thinned out by cutting down trees and removing them.

That way...when a fire does start...it doesn't spread as fast and is easier to control.

BC alone is almost a million sq kilometres, most of it forest and a lot of that in steep terrain. That's a lot of forest to clean.

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aristides said:

http://www.menloenergy.com/?p=535

A single gallon of gas contains 36 kwh so a 1.5 gallons of gas contain the same amount of energy as that 53 kWh Tesla battery. Even if the Tesla's electric motors are 100% efficient (they aren't) and the ICE is only 30% efficient, the ICE would only need to carry 5 gallons of gas to match the energy contained in that 1200 lb battery. 

That is an old article and Tesla batteries are now up to 100 kWh but the ICE would only need 10 gallons of gas (70 lbs) to equal that.

Again, you seem to be twisting the math to suit your agenda. You’re coming up with figures that nobody cares about.  EV’s are more efficient; but what matters is how much does the car cost, how fast/easily can I charge it, and how far will it go?

I know two people who bought very basic EV’s and they drive them to work and plug them in with basic 110V AC power at night and that’s just fine with them. 

Just now, Rebound said:

Again, you seem to be twisting the math to suit your agenda. You’re coming up with figures that nobody cares about.  EV’s are more efficient; but what matters is how much does the car cost, how fast/easily can I charge it, and how far will it go?

I know two people who bought very basic EV’s and they drive them to work and plug them in with basic 110V AC power at night and that’s just fine with them. 

I'm not anti EV. Pretty sure my next vehicle will either be an EV or PHEV. I'm just not blind to the limitations of Li batteries. Their energy density sucks compared to fossil fuels.

People do care about that. Aside from cost, their biggest concerns are range and charging infrastructure. You can only rapid charge Li batteries to 80% and on average it would probably take 40 minutes. You can fill a ICE's tank to 100% in less than ten minutes. I have a neighbour with a Tesla that he occasionally takes from the Lower Mainland to Prince George and he says charging is not a big problem if you stay on main highways but get off them and things get a lot more interesting.

If you want to double that ICE range, all you have to do is add another 70 lbs of gas. To double the Tesla's range you need to add another 1200 lb battery.

36 minutes ago, Aristides said:

BC alone is almost a million sq kilometres, most of it forest and a lot of that in steep terrain. That's a lot of forest to clean.

It is. And those who live in and near the forests used to be able...even encouraged...to clean the local forestry. That way, the communities are not in so much danger.

Edited by Nationalist

15 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

It is. And those who live in and near the forests used to be able...even encouraged...to clean the local forestry. That way, the communities are not in so much danger.

They still are but that only extends to areas around their property. Most fires are started by lightning in mountainous country. 

9 minutes ago, Aristides said:

They still are but that only extends to areas around their property. Most fires are started by lightning in mountainous country. 

I'm not so sure they are. I know in Europe they are not allowed and I think the same applies to us.

Most fires do start by lightning. But if the forest near civilization is cleaned, it's much easier to keep the local towns safe from burning.

42 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I'm not anti EV. Pretty sure my next vehicle will either be an EV or PHEV. I'm just not blind to the limitations of Li batteries. Their energy density sucks compared to fossil fuels.

People do care about that. Aside from cost, their biggest concerns are range and charging infrastructure. You can only rapid charge Li batteries to 80% and on average it would probably take 40 minutes. You can fill a ICE's tank to 100% in less than ten minutes. I have a neighbour with a Tesla that he occasionally takes from the Lower Mainland to Prince George and he says charging is not a big problem if you stay on main highways but get off them and things get a lot more interesting.

If you want to double that ICE range, all you have to do is add another 70 lbs of gas. To double the Tesla's range you need to add another 1200 lb battery.

That all makes sense. 
I’ve had to research some of this for a work project. EV charging at home isn’t an issue for homeowners. For renters, it can be a huge problem. 

The end game is to be able to achieve full charge in five minutes or less, without adverse effect to the battery. We aren’t there yet but we’ll probably get there.  At that point, charging infrastructure vastly changes because now they’re gas pumps and not parking spots.  Far fewer are needed and you rarely need to wait long. 

Just imagine, though… never go to a gas station again.  Ever. Niiiice. 

On 9/23/2022 at 6:07 AM, DogOnPorch said:

I think they're already panicking. 

?

Obama has a huge estate on Martha's Vineyard recently purchased that we've all been seeing lately...right on the ocean…

Hey, I stand with Martha’s Vinyard.  Bus the illegals into holding facilities!

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

I'm not so sure they are. I know in Europe they are not allowed and I think the same applies to us.

Most fires do start by lightning. But if the forest near civilization is cleaned, it's much easier to keep the local towns safe from burning.

Western Europe with a population of just under 200 million has an area that is only 10% larger than BC which has a population of less than 5 million.

Yes, brush clearing near structures is important and encouraged.

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

That all makes sense. 
I’ve had to research some of this for a work project. EV charging at home isn’t an issue for homeowners. For renters, it can be a huge problem. 

The end game is to be able to achieve full charge in five minutes or less, without adverse effect to the battery. We aren’t there yet but we’ll probably get there.  At that point, charging infrastructure vastly changes because now they’re gas pumps and not parking spots.  Far fewer are needed and you rarely need to wait long. 

Just imagine, though… never go to a gas station again.  Ever. Niiiice. 

On the May long weekend the line for the Supercharger station in Hope BC was over a block long.

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

On the May long weekend the line for the Supercharger station in Hope BC was over a block long.

Sucks. But it doesn’t prove much. On holidays, lines can be long for pretty much everything.  Especially Chinese food on Christmas. 

Edited by Rebound

The line in Merritt even made news in Australia.

https://thedriven.io/2021/06/30/tesla-owners-line-up-at-superchargers-amid-record-canada-temperatures/

The new estimate published by the California Energy Commission (CEC) and titled “Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Assessment” says it expects 1.2 million chargers will be needed for passenger cars and an additional 157,000 will be needed for trucks and buses.

However, while there are around 40,000 public charging stations in the US according to Statista, there are only 6,000 in Canada according to its government website, about 1,000 of which are DC fast chargers.

This is why at this point I would tend more toward a PHEV in spite of higher maintenance costs.

Edited by Aristides

6 hours ago, Nationalist said:

How many armies do you think the government can hire to do that? It would take at least 10,000’s of people.  Have you walked though any national forests? They’re massive. 

8 hours ago, Rebound said:

How many armies do you think the government can hire to do that? It would take at least 10,000’s of people.  Have you walked though any national forests? They’re massive. 

There are creeks to clean, beaches to clean, habitat to be restored, spills of all sorts to clean. There are invasive species to eradicate and native species to restore. There are forest fires to fight, floods, storms and other natural disasters to recover from you name it...

What we basically need are full time environmental works depts that are funded and run by provincial governments alongside industrial stakeholders with federal help in the case of dealing with emergencies or ameliorating places that were impacted by federal activities in the past.

Like an army but with an actual purpose.