Thoughts on European History

August1991

On 9/9/2022 at 8:50 PM, August1991 said:

The USA is one nation

You want to argue that? They didn't nearly bleed to death to become just that? If you picked out any random citizen they wouldn't identify themselves as an American? Like the whole 'melting pot' thing!

WHACK ( with 2x4 )!!! Do you get it now?

On 9/11/2022 at 11:34 PM, herbie said:

You want to argue that? They didn't nearly bleed to death to become just that? If you picked out any random citizen they wouldn't identify themselves as an American? Like the whole 'melting pot' thing!

WHACK ( with 2x4 )!!! Do you get it now?

Where did I claim that the US is one "nation"?

=====

On the contrary, IMHO, what makes the US great is that it is not one country - rather it is 50 different states/countries.

To foreigners, you are Americans.

But to yourselves, you are from a state - even a county.

====

There's something else about Americans that I've always admired - as a Canadian. You guys seem to understand that you're on your own. If you don't do it, no one else will. In Canada, we expect someone else to fix the problem.

======

This whole Biden/CBC anti-MAGA thing bothers me.  Make America Great Again? Who can argue with making America a great place?

I live in America. North America.  And make no mistake, I prefer a good southern American neighbour.

Edited by August1991

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

=====

On the contrary, IMHO, what makes the US great is that it is not one country - rather it is 50 different states/countries.

To foreigners, you are Americans.

But to yourselves, you are from a state - even a county.

====

1. There's something else about Americans that I've always admired - as a Canadian. You guys seem to understand that you're on your own. If you don't do it, no one else will. In Canada, we expect someone else to fix the problem.

2. Who can argue with making America a great place?

1. Yes and people think that we depend on the government but it IS the 'crown'.

2. Nobody.  But jingoism is a one way ticket to the bottom, and a cheap way to get dummies to support bad ideas.  See: Russia.

11 hours ago, August1991 said:

You're not. That's the problem! It is, in every aspect of the definition. FFS no state is so different from any other as to be as distinct as Quebec is as a province in Canada.
Whereas Europe is many distinct cultures and languages formed over millennia.

You're trying to claim nationhoods over more cowboys here. more loggers there, more surfers in the next state.... like claiming Alberta and Saskatchewan are separate 'nations' or for that matter BC and NS. Slight differences don't make a nation, huge ones do.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, herbie said:

You're not. That's the problem! It is, in every aspect of the definition....

The US is a federal republic.

====

Foreigners view the US President as all powerful, the embodiment of America. Nixon this, Reagan that.

But anyone who has lived in America knows otherwise.

State laws matter more. Heck, the county matters.

===

California is a country on a continent where you can cross borders - like Schengen.

• 2 months later...
On 9/3/2022 at 11:04 PM, August1991 said:

I happen to think that Europeans are violent people - by memory.

In 1914, there was a Great War. Because people at the time forgot the Napoleonic Wars that ended in 1815.

And in 1789, people forgot the Thirty Years War that ended in 1648.

To most Europeans, the last war ended in 1945.

I reckon they'll start fighting again around 2035 or so.

====

Let's not be drawn in. Despite what they say, it's not a world war. Despite what the experts say, Europe is not sophisticated.

I'd be more worried about Asia and the Middle East.

Canada is a federal state. At the federal level, we have two languages. Some of our provinces have two languages.

Canada has no official cultural.

====

This geographic place called "Canada" is merely a place on the map. Rocks, trees, rivers, lakes  and people who have lived here. 

These rivers and rocks, this place, will exist long after we Canadians, Russians, Finns, various others have likely moved north, or south - according to glaciers.

Edited by August1991

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

Disagree, reason10.

====

Mozart? No Buddhist would ever be an Einstein, a Jew.

We in the West accept difference.

And we enjoy music, life. 

I'm not referring to the abundant arts treasures of Europe. I'm referring to the safety and the economy of the world.

Right now, the only shooting wars are taking place in Asia. The only threats to our economy come from China, who is violating International Law and has paid our senile, racist unelected President around $21 million to look the other way.

Also, the Middle East has been the hot spot in the world for conflict, well before fossil fuels were discovered and utilized to make our lives better. There are military minds suggesting that World War Three will begin in the Middle East.

Yeah, I know. Just like Jimmy Carter brought the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation, and just like Unelected Joe's urine poor leadership has empowered Russia to start acting like the old Soviet Union, one would believe that a nuclear exchange with Russia or China is inevitable. (Amazing how our security goes right down the shithole with around two years of a senile racist pedophile, signing things he's too old to read.)

Remember that oil speculators drive the cost of energy up and down, depending on threats to supply.  Any hiccup in the Strait of Hormuz (for instance) cause the price of oil to soar. And thanks to Unelected Joe destroying America's energy independence, it's likely the world will once again depend on the Middle East to keep the cars running and the lights on.

The cretins who believe somehow wind and solar will replace oil (of which the United States alone has around 200 years' worth of supply) have no idea what they're talking about.

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

This post troubles me but it is true.

Buddhists don't enjoy life.

Neither do Muslims. (You can't sing or dance.)

Catholics at least allow singing.

Lutherans sadly restrict singing.

Baptists make it required. 

Baptists never have sex while standing up. They're afraid someone will see them and think they are dancing.

On 12/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, reason10 said:

Yeah, I know. Just like Jimmy Carter brought the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation, and just like Unelected Joe's urine poor leadership has empowered Russia to start acting like the old Soviet Union

I admire America but you Americans - like Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, for example - have a tendency to make everything about yourself.

God love you.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2022 at 5:50 AM, August1991 said:

I admire America but you Americans - like Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, for example - have a tendency to make everything about yourself.

God love you.

You have assimilated way too much left wing propaganda. Jane Fonda and Robert Redford were movie actors. They were fame junkies and when their time in the movie spotlight was passing by, they needed politics to bring them the attention they craved.

Regular Americans like me would prefer that NOBODY knows us, NOBODY has any idea where we live, what we do for a living, etc. Forums like this are the closest we'll ever come to saying anything that a large group of people might think important.

Stephen King NEEDS media attention because he is an author. Fame sells his books.

The average Joe Lunchbucket doesn't need ANY press at all.