Mayor of Peterborough...

Boges

I still don’t know what qanon is, and don’t really care. But language like that is unbecoming of a public official.

Probably no one wants to be mayor out in retires-ville, so they get whatever is willing to do it.

That’s right, I said whatever.

Another issue is why those on the left keep bringing up fringe stuff and throwing it in other people’s faces, as though it means something.

Edited by OftenWrong
  • Thanks 1

If you believe it these trouble-makers follow something called Queen Romana Didulo.

Head of State, Commander-in-Chief,
Head of Government of Canada,
President and Queen of The Kingdom of Canada.

https://queenromanadidulo.ca/

She claims to have been born in British Columbia but has an accent that's not native. She also claims to have supernatural powers. There's a claim she can make herself invisible.

I don't know. This all seems so far out there I'm having a hard time believing anybody is falling for it.

I suspect a hoax.

Edited by Infidel Dog

On 8/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, Boges said:

Rocks! 

She was commenting on a QAnon (Is that really a thing in Canada?) protest in her city where they tried to tried to put Police Officers under Citizen's Arrest. 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/08/peterborough-mayor-calls-arrested-conspiracy-protestors-fckwads/

More politicians need to be this real. 

As a leader of a community - she shouldn't have gone down to that level.

She's actually lost her cool.  Hahaha - it's like getting trolled.  She got triggered by all the questions!!   In other words, she buckled under the pressure!

Yeah, you wouldn't want to give any airtime to so-called, "imbeciles" - so, why respond at all if you can't say something that shows you're above all that? :rolleyes:

Imagine how she'll be when faced with real challenges that elicit a lot of questions!

Edited by betsy

On 8/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, herbie said:

She did exactly that. She should have commented that it showed how important it was to put more civic money into mental health issues. That would've been a more 'woke' way of telling them to FOAD

It's not about being "woke" for me.  Being the mayor, it's her usage of that kind of language.  It's inappropriate (to say the least).

Furthermore......I get it that she's livid and frustrated.   But......

....why on earth would you let whom you regard as "imbeciles" to pull you down to their level?

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2022 at 1:49 AM, TreeBeard said:

If she hadn’t said it like that, we wouldn’t be talking about what the mayor said at all.  

We wouldn’t but an audience more relevant to the matter would. In an era of constant recordings, the distinction between speech and the written word seems to have broken down. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

On 8/17/2022 at 1:10 PM, OftenWrong said:

I still don’t know what qanon is, and don’t really care. But language like that is unbecoming of a public official.

qanon is a retarded impulse amongst a sizable number of conservatives that conservative politicians need to tip toe around when the topic comes up - kinda like abortion I guess.  I suspect some progressive politicians feel similar when gender politics come up.

It's understandable that you'd want to distance yourself from it but for what it's worth your credibility probably goes up when you do. 

On 10/20/2022 at 5:49 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

We wouldn’t but an audience more relevant to the matter would. In an era of constant recordings, the distinction between speech and the written word seems to have broken down. 

Hence the occasional need to add emphasis to ensure a wider audience.  Just about everything that's been regarded as taboo in language eventually passes like water under a proverbial bridge.

I get it around the Thanksgiving table and in Parliament but on Twitter? Meh.

On second thought I'd probably even accept an appropriately deserving occasion in Parliament.  I know it's a slippery slope but a lot of other things seem to be skidding sideways these days.  This is pretty minor in the scheme of things.

34 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Hence the occasional need to add emphasis to ensure a wider audience.  Just about everything that's been regarded as taboo in language eventually passes like water under a proverbial bridge.

I get it around the Thanksgiving table and in Parliament but on Twitter? Meh.

On second thought I'd probably even accept an appropriately deserving occasion in Parliament.  I know it's a slippery slope but a lot of other things seem to be skidding sideways these days.  This is pretty minor in the scheme of things.

I would argue it encourages members of the public to speak and write this way to elected officials and public servants generally. People are becoming less grown up all the time. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I would argue it encourages members of the public to speak and write this way to elected officials and public servants generally. People are becoming less grown up all the time. 

That's probably a sword that cuts both ways and elected officials are also encouraged by a more bellicose public and messaging environment.

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

qanon is a retarded impulse amongst a sizable number of conservatives that conservative politicians need to tip toe around when the topic comes up - kinda like abortion I guess.  I suspect some progressive politicians feel similar when gender politics come up.

It's understandable that you'd want to distance yourself from it but for what it's worth your credibility probably goes up when you do. 

Certainly not sizeable amongst anyone I know. I have not heard it mentioned anywhere other than on here, and only by leftists and their ridiculous planted agent provocateurs.

This public official using language that we are not allowed to repeat on this forum is just adding to the degenerate attitude that encourages disrespect for our symbols of authority.

As in now people can openly say, “please fukc off, your worship.” whenever they disagree with her.

”Please strike that from the minutes.”

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Certainly not sizeable amongst anyone I know. I have not heard it mentioned anywhere other than on here, and only by leftists and their ridiculous planted agent provocateurs.

It's certainly more sizable in the US and is heard of often enough in the US. Thankfully most of that is ridiculing in nature and to good effect.  Or is it?

In November 2020, Georgia Republican Marjorie Taylor Greene became the first open supporter of QAnon to be elected to the United States Congress. Despite criticism from Democrats, Republicans, and the media for her belief in this dangerous conspiracy theory, Greene remains a prominent national figure and a member of Congress. In a large survey experiment examining the effects of criticisms of Greene by different sources, we found that criticism of Greene from a Republican or a Democratic official reduced positive feelings toward QAnon but not Greene herself. However, unsourced criticisms and criticisms from media figures failed to measurably affect feelings toward either Greene or QAnon. Our results suggest that public officials have a unique responsibility to criticize misinformation, but they also highlight the difficulty in shifting attitudes toward politicians who embrace and spread falsehoods.

https://misinforeview.hks.harvard.edu/article/legislator-criticism-of-a-candidates-conspiracy-beliefs-reduces-support-for-the-conspiracy-but-not-the-candidate-evidence-from-marjorie-taylor-greene-and-qanon/

I guess this might be why some politicians feel compelled to spice up their comments.  Despite the grumbling about political decorum in public the above-mentioned results suggest criticizing bad language isn't about to negatively affect anyone who uses it.  I imagine some will even figure out how, when and where it's good for them to do so. 

Edited by eyeball

32 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

This public official using language that we are not allowed to repeat on this forum is just adding to the degenerate attitude that encourages disrespect for our symbols of authority.

Yup. But I think it all stems from the disrespect symbols of authority have for people.

Things have been accelerating down hill ever since people like Karl Rove and the GOP turned politics into a winner-take-all scorched-earth affair and partisans gleefully joined in the attack.

Understanding Rove and how he's guiding President Bush also requires backward glances even as the narrative follows contemporary events. For example, it's impossible to truly grasp the power of the gay-marriage controversy as a political wedge issue without looking back from the 2004 election to how Rove used homosexuality, not just as a wedge but as a bludgeon, when dealing with opponents earlier in his career.

Karl Rove, 'The Architect'

... in other words, yeah.

You people.  ;)

Interestingly enough even poor old Karl Rove has been abandoned as being too soft by an uber-partisan Frankenstein/GOP that is into ravaging and bludgeoning opponents like never before.

https://www.newyorker.com/sections/news/karl-rove-has-seen-the-enemy-and-he-is-steve-bannon

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

You guys have been famous for being easily triggered and blaming progressives for provoking negative public reactions for decades.

Listening to you people sniffle about political decorum is hilarious.