Misinformation and hair-brained conspiracy theories have a price, Mr. Jones - $50M and more to come

Moonbox

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Inflation is a global problem but people everywhere are blaming their specific for governments for it.  Trump may end up as president again, but he only pretends to be a good economic steward.  It’s easy to look good in the moment when you run huge deficits while everything is already going well as he did, but the problem is that you’re just making everyone more poor down the road. 

Nah, he’ll grease the wheels of business and try to prevent government from controlling every aspect of your life.  The blue states may still be screwed, however, and people will likely continue their exodus.  At least the blue states are protected by American sovereignty.  Canada is too flimsy now.  

11 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I didn’t like Trump but something tells me that given our soaring cost of living and the continued global pressure to curtail our free market system, Trump will be the next president.  He’ll prime the economy and refuse to let foreign players compromise the American way of life.  I’m jealous actually and hope our next PM will fight for Canadians.  

Trump is the exact same SOB he was in the 1980s. This I find a reassuring consistency.

DOONETRUMP-900317.gif

22 hours ago, Moonbox said:

I think I explained my post pretty well.  You were complaining about misuse of the terms "mis/disinformation" but then went listing a bunch of silly rightwing bogeyman terms for "lefties".  

Judging by your rhetoric, your dislike of the terms are very likely due to how inconvenient they are for your viewpoints.  

It looks to me like you need to listen to FOX NEWS once in awhile. There you will learn what the words dis and misinformation are really all about and why the leftists keep on trying to apply those words to conservatives. They are words that are being used against conservatives by the leftist lying and fake liberal/democratic MSM media to try and shut conservatives down. Believe it or not. But then again, who cares if you want to believe it or not. 

Leftist are just a bunch of bogeymen losers anyway. They like to try scaring people half to death like with that scamcemic covid 19 lie and bullshit. In the end they always end up looking like the liars that they really are. ?

8 hours ago, Moonbox said:

No.  He's said enough stupid shit over the last few years to preclude himself from being described as "bright".  You can say whatever you want about him, and he has a manic sort of charisma that even I find appealing at times, but he's not living in a fact-based world.  

Yes, I know you think that.  The GoP isn't even a party anymore.  It's a joke.  It's a Donald Trump personality cult.  

wrong

the GOP supports Trump

because he panders to them better than the establishment GOP does

if that stopped being the case

they'd flip to DeSantis or someone else who does that better

45 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

wrong

the GOP supports Trump

because he panders to them better than the establishment GOP does

if that stopped being the case

they'd flip to DeSantis or someone else who does that better

Trump doesn't pander to the GOP.  He panders to white rich people and white poor people.  The former he actually helps, the latter he simply distracts and points angrily towards "big tech" or "hilary clinton" or "china", while making them poorer and dumber as he goes.  

The GOP panders to him 100%.  They're afraid of him because they know he's captured the minds of Joe Plumber and Frank Midwest Farmer, and that standing up to him means these goobers won't vote for them.  They'll be happy to see him go away, but in the meantime they have to pretend and keep their heads low.   

For someone who actually likes Trump, your grasp of what's going on all around him is remarkably poor.  

Edited by Moonbox

11 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Trump doesn't pander to the GOP.  He panders to white rich people and white poor people.  The former he actually helps, the latter he simply distracts and points angrily towards "big tech" or "hilary clinton" or "china", while making them poorer and dumber as he goes.  

The GOP panders to him 100%.  They're afraid of him because they know he's captured the minds of Joe Plumber and Frank Midwest Farmer, and that standing up to him means these goobers won't vote for them.  They'll be happy to see him go away, but in the meantime they have to pretend and keep their heads low.   

the GOP panders to him because the base loves him and he brings in new voters to the base

the base loves him because he panders to them

the Democrats are the party of the rich elites now

the GOP are the party of the working class now

Trump upped the GOP's game

try to keep up

Edited by Yzermandius19

9 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the GOP panders to him because the base loves him and he brings in new voters to the base

the base loves him because he panders to them

the Democrats are the party of the rich elites now

the GOP are the party of the working class now

Trump upped the GOP's game

try to keep up

On the whole I agree.  The race game is failing too for the Democrats.  The administrative head of the GOP was black and Trump had diversity in key posts.  I didn’t like Trump’s attempted Muslim ban, but it put less democratic countries on notice that America-haters wouldn’t be tolerated, and no one can deny that the Shia leaders in Iran describe America as the Great Satan and that the 9/11 attackers came from Saudi-funded training centres.   He woke people up.

However, Trump says harsh things sometimes.  I would prefer DeSantis, but Trump’s actual track record on the economy and keeping the US out of war is strong.  The truth is that the western world has lost its moral compass. Whether it’s on gender, new religion of race, public health totalitarianism, green totalitarianism, media censorship, cancel culture, forms of social engineering, this is not the free, prosperous, and hopeful world we had.  Our expectations keep getting lowered.  This must be reversed.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

On 8/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, Yzermandius19 said:

if you're going to follow politics

you should be paying attention to both the left and right

These are nowhere near as important as paying attention to the top which is something both the left and right always seem to lose sight of when when they're fixated on one another.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

These are nowhere near as important as paying attention to the top which is something both the left and right always seem to lose sight of when when they're fixated on one another.

it's not one or the other

if you pay attention to the top and only one side, for example

then you only see the top through the biased of the one side

which is you to a tee eyeball

you only see the right through the lens of the left

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

it's not one or the other

if you pay attention to the top and only one side, for example

then you only see the top through the biased of the one side

which is you to a tee eyeball

you only see the right through the lens of the left

You have the perspective of a loon no matter which way you look.

7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Trump’s actual track record on the economy and keeping the US out of war is strong.  

Trump has a track record of running big deficits during GOOD economic times and it's easy to make the economy look good when you do that.  You're just passing the buck down the road because some administration down the road will have to deal with paying back that debt.  

7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The truth is that the western world has lost its moral compass. Whether it’s on gender, new religion of race, public health totalitarianism, green totalitarianism, media censorship, cancel culture, forms of social engineering, this is not the free, prosperous, and hopeful world we had.  Our expectations keep getting lowered.  This must be reversed.  

Did you tick all of your boxes on the BAD THINGS?  You forgot to mention the communists and the WEF.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonbox said:

Trump has a track record of running big deficits during GOOD economic times and it's easy to make the economy look good when you do that.  You're just passing the buck down the road because some administration down the road will have to deal with paying back that debt.  

Did you tick all of your boxes on the BAD THINGS?  You forgot to mention the communists and the WEF.  

They’re implicit in my categories.  

On 8/17/2022 at 4:30 PM, taxme said:

It looks to me like you need to listen to FOX NEWS once in awhile. There you will learn what the words dis and misinformation are really all about and why the leftists keep on trying to apply those words to conservatives.

No I don't think anyone needs to listen to FOX NEWS.  

On 8/17/2022 at 4:30 PM, taxme said:

Leftist are just a bunch of bogeymen losers anyway. They like to try scaring people half to death like with that scamcemic covid 19 lie and bullshit. In the end they always end up looking like the liars that they really are. ?

Pot meet kettle...again.  Your lack of perspective here is hilarious.  

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 10:22 AM, Moonbox said:

No I don't think anyone needs to listen to FOX NEWS.  

Pot meet kettle...again.  Your lack of perspective here is hilarious.  

I believe that everyone should at least take the time to listen to FOX NEWS to try and get the other side of the story. You know the other side of the story that lefty liberal losers like you do not want to listen too. Why? Because you might finally learn something, stunned. You are the one here that lacks perspective. Just thought that I would let you know. ?

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2022 at 11:40 AM, Yzermandius19 said:

that's on the assholes, not Alex Jones

Wrong-o!

Another disgusting right wing conspiracist goes down in flames (again)  

Today’s Republican:  Literally vandalizing and pissing on the graves of murdered children, cheering for Putin and trying to end US democracy altogether  

Alex Jones must pay $965 million in damages to families of 8 Sandy Hook victims

Jones faced liability for defamation and intentionally inflicting emotional distress for creating a fake narrative that the mass shooting was a hoax.

By Safia Samee Ali

The conspiracy theorist Alex Jones must pay $965 million to the families of eight Sandy Hook shooting victims and an FBI agent who responded to the attack for the suffering he caused them by spreading lies on his platforms about the 2012 massacre, a Connecticut jury found on Wednesday.

Jones had already been found liable by a judge after refusing to hand over critical evidence before the trial began, and this six-member jury was only asked to decide how much Jones should pay. This is the second trial related to his Sandy Hook conspiracy theories. In August, a Texas jury ordered Jones to pay nearly $50 million in damages to Scarlett Lewis and Neil Heslin, whose son Jesse was killed in the massacre.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna51200

Yeah this is beautiful.  He’s financially ruined and deserves every lump he’s getting.  Now he’s raving about how nobody is going to get any money (because he’s hidden it all) but the forensic auditors will be all over him for the rest of his life.  

This restores my faith in humanity…just a little.  To see a vicious idiot like Alex Jones get his just dues is encouraging.  Being a 100% amoral piece of shit has consequences.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moonbox said:

Yeah this is beautiful.  He’s financially ruined and deserves every lump he’s getting.  Now he’s raving about how nobody is going to get any money (because he’s hidden it all) but the forensic auditors will be all over him for the rest of his life.  

This restores my faith in humanity…just a little.  To see a vicious idiot like Alex Jones get his just dues is encouraging.  Being a 100% amoral piece of shit has consequences.  

A little... It took years and unfathomable pain for the families who have had to endure Jones'army of maniacs harrassing them.

It would have been much better if there was no market mechanism for insane conspiracy hate to make this troll a billionaire.  It's a sick society that allows this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It would have been much better if there was no market mechanism for insane conspiracy hate to make this troll a billionaire.  It's a sick society that allows this.

At least these judgements show that there are limits, and that there can be very serious consequences for it. 

Alex Jones, I think you'd agree, is more of a symptom of the rot.  It's easy to just blame it all on Trump or the Republican Party or the conspiracy clown parade, but the foundation for all of this was set in the decade(s) leading up to it, with years of no-compromise politics, weaponized outrage and out-of-touch policymaking that completely disregarded the sentiments of a hundred million Americans.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

1. ... the foundation for all of this was set in the decade(s) leading up to it,

2. ...with years of no-compromise politics, weaponized outrage and out-of-touch policymaking that completely disregarded the sentiments of a hundred million Americans.  

1. Agree and disagree: the rot has always been there, but in the decades leading up to today, leaders became more willing to engage the unhinged, with no consequences from the public.
2. I have read the Eisenhower post-presidency papers and its stunning that he actually warns about this possibility.  I might blog about it, stay tuned.

Edited by Michael Hardner
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Agree and disagree: the rot has always been there, but in the decades leading up to today, leaders became more willing to engage the unhinged, with no consequences from the public.

The psychological conditions for the rot to set in have always been there, I would say.  The human mind is pretty much the same for all of recorded history.  Psychological framing, coping mechanism and heuristics have always been there.  Conditions (especially economic) provide the backdrop for narratives to form.  When everything is going well, people are usually very complacent.  When they're not going well, the tendency to blame outside influences are easy to take advantage of.  A shrinking middle class and increasing poverty are ripe conditions for this.   

• Like 2