Part 2 Canada Concerned over US program

I created a new thread as the old one regarding these Buy American incentives drifted off into 'how the Glorious Yanks Saved Our Ass' instead. The subject is once again relevant.

On this last round -no one pointed out something relevant at the time. Prince Rupert BC, it is not just a major Port, it's also the terminus of the Alaska ferry. Huge numbers of people use it and they travel back and forth along the Yellowhead Hwy to Prince George and then to all over Canada, down to the border in Vancouver and onwards. Traffic was growing and there was a push to expand the facilities in Prince Rupert. To qualify for that program at that time, it would have to be built with 100% American steel and American labour. In Rupert, in Canada, where employment was shrinking at the time. A gross violation of ALL trade agreements between the US and Canada. There was even local disagreement at the time with people arguing at least we can sell them burgers and hotel rooms. (Yet another from the 'we'll settle for the least we can get crowd'. It never came to pass, and thanks to Covid hasn't even grown back to the traffic levels in the Times of Trump.

Now here again, Biden trots out the same sorry song about EVs being built in the USA entitled to special rebates. A blatant violation of the latest newspeak name for NAFTA. Looks like someone may have pointed this out to Biden as he's talking about maybe, just maybe if we're lucky 'extending the policy to EVs built in Canada'. Like we should be ever so thankful and throw Mexico under the bus begging for favour.

I am not suggesting abandoning Free Trade, nationalizing or anything like that. Make a bloody effort to fix things fairly. Fix the big things first not the petty issues like milk and cheese etc.

America no longer views Canada as a partner

Canada is viewed in America as a competitor, dunmping subsidized products & labour into the US Market

America is turning to Mexico

Mexico has already replaced Canada as a bilateral partner

Canada has no leverage whatsoever

because Canada will be increasingly frozen out, by American trade barriers & protectionism

it is already well in progress, Mexico has been eating Canada's lunch for some time now

• Like 1

The US has backed down on it's EV grants, EVs built in Canada and Mexico are now included in the program. Someone may have pointed out that it was a gross violation of the Trade agreement.

Feel free to whine about Biden's wishy-washy reversal typical Libbie policy of not sticking to your ideas no matter how wrong they are...

You need a leader, do you? Is that all you can conceive, a Chancellor, Emperor who can proclaim and order and do everything you say you hate?

I 100% agree it's a gold mine. So go put your money where you're mouth is and prospect, buy shares, start a foundry. If the "Glorious Leader" did it it would be the definition of communism, which you also say you oppose.
Sick of hearing the I can never afford a house and someone should give me a job after living in that 90% of the country that's undeveloped and underserviced. Where you can get a 1/4 section with a house, shop, barns for less than a cubicle apartment in the big city.

but it's cold
there's no night clubs
can't go cross border shopping
no Cambodian food vendors on the corner

On 8/1/2022 at 9:49 PM, herbie said:

I created a new thread as the old one regarding these Buy American incentives drifted off into 'how the Glorious Yanks Saved Our Ass' instead. The subject is once again relevant.

On this last round -no one pointed out something relevant at the time. Prince Rupert BC, it is not just a major Port, it's also the terminus of the Alaska ferry. Huge numbers of people use it and they travel back and forth along the Yellowhead Hwy to Prince George and then to all over Canada, down to the border in Vancouver and onwards. Traffic was growing and there was a push to expand the facilities in Prince Rupert. To qualify for that program at that time, it would have to be built with 100% American steel and American labour. In Rupert, in Canada, where employment was shrinking at the time. A gross violation of ALL trade agreements between the US and Canada. There was even local disagreement at the time with people arguing at least we can sell them burgers and hotel rooms. (Yet another from the 'we'll settle for the least we can get crowd'. It never came to pass, and thanks to Covid hasn't even grown back to the traffic levels in the Times of Trump.

Now here again, Biden trots out the same sorry song about EVs being built in the USA entitled to special rebates. A blatant violation of the latest newspeak name for NAFTA. Looks like someone may have pointed this out to Biden as he's talking about maybe, just maybe if we're lucky 'extending the policy to EVs built in Canada'. Like we should be ever so thankful and throw Mexico under the bus begging for favour.

I am not suggesting abandoning Free Trade, nationalizing or anything like that. Make a bloody effort to fix things fairly. Fix the big things first not the petty issues like milk and cheese etc.

What program? Was it Americans that were going to fund this build?? Cancelled anyway, so it is moot.

Canada burnt it's bridges on the last NAFTA/USMCA negotiations. (to assist Quebec dairy industry primarily)

On 8/13/2022 at 5:21 PM, herbie said:

You need a leader, do you? Is that all you can conceive, a Chancellor, Emperor who can proclaim and order and do everything you say you hate?

I 100% agree it's a gold mine. So go put your money where you're mouth is and prospect, buy shares, start a foundry. If the "Glorious Leader" did it it would be the definition of communism, which you also say you oppose.
Sick of hearing the I can never afford a house and someone should give me a job after living in that 90% of the country that's undeveloped and underserviced. Where you can get a 1/4 section with a house, shop, barns for less than a cubicle apartment in the big city.

but it's cold
there's no night clubs
can't go cross border shopping

no Cambodian food vendors on the corner

Yes, very sick of hearing that. You (the collective you) are owed nothing. You have to earn what you want.

Why service areas that no one want to live?

13 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Why service areas that no one want to live?

That is why free enterprise gov'ts nationalized ferries, phones, hydro, roads, rail lines in the '50s to 70's so people would live there and extract the resources. For the benefit of those who'd rather drive 2 hours in gridlock than move.

Edited by herbie

9 hours ago, herbie said:

That is why free enterprise gov'ts nationalized ferries, phones, hydro, roads, rail lines in the '50s to 70's so people would live there and extract the resources. For the benefit of those who'd rather drive 2 hours in gridlock than move.

And...how did that work out??

People work in those areas but very often, live elsewhere.

If you're one of those who've decided that this country is finished building itself you should go outside more often. Don't forget the strip mall settlement was done by giving the land alongside the railway to a bunch of investors and that's been the problem ever since.

And BTW it worked out very well. We have lights and phones in the boonies and you in the city have tons of power and buckets of money. The stupid thing was privatizing everything once all the expensive building of it was complete instead of earning something. Like BC Rail for example.