Charest, Poilievre & Maxime Bernier

29 minutes ago, herbie said:

Jeez not only don't understand politics, don't understand economics or capital;ism either!
Here's someone saying they trust US Republicans to save Canadian democracy when they're subverting their own to the utmost.
Another who seems to think using tax dollars for social programs is bad. No wonder they like Americans, should we spend it on aircraft carriers instead?
Yet another who thinks 'corporate taxes' should mean the revenue the gov't takes off their worker's wages rather than their profits.

You pay the bulk of taxes, you choose the gov't that gives as much back to you as it can. the gov't makes the rules and business operates by the rules they make. Not the other way where business tells the gov't what to do and the gov't tells you what to do, which is what these same so called freedumb lovers seem to really want.

I like the aircraft carrier idea.  

21 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I think it is time for me to start re-evaluating my position in regard to Mr. Poillievre. I have always maintained he is a politician of integrity regardless of my perseption of what I see as his shortcomings. This is just politics and my barbs this evening were over the line. I should have followed the rule that personal attacks on anyone willing to make the sacrifices that come with public service deserves respect, regardless of party or platform. 

I wish Mr. Charest wins, but people smarter than me say I will be disappointed. 

I admire your humility 

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

But why remove it? The CBC is a public service, brought in by the Conservative government. Most democratic countries have a public broadcaster. You have the BBC, NRK in Norway, France Televisions and Radio France, PBS /NPR in the US, ARD in Germany, SR / SVT in Sweden, ABC in Australia, and NRZ in New Zealand among most other countries. Every public broadcaster receives government funding. 

remove it because it's turned into Pravda

and is actively undermining Canada with it's communist propaganda 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

remove it because it's turned into Pravda

and is actively undermining Canada with it's communist propaganda 

I agree but I don’t think most Canadians see it, as they don’t see how wokism is pervading media and destroying careers.  Many don’t see how our government has bought off media, especially the CBC.  I don’t know if Canadians generally see the snow job.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I agree but I don’t think most Canadians see it, as they don’t see how wokism is pervading media and destroying careers.  Many don’t see how our government has bought off media, especially the CBC.  I don’t know if Canadians generally see the snow job.

they definitely don't see it

privatizing the CBC remains unpopular

because Canadians buy into the propaganda and think it's just good journalism

Canadians are pretty slow on the uptake

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

they definitely don't see it

privatizing the CBC remains unpopular

because Canadians buy into the propaganda and think it's just good journalism

Canadians are pretty slow on the uptake

When the good times are rolling and people feel like their lives are generally improving, this kind of funding receives less attention.  I think if people really start feeling the economic pinch, government expenditures will come under greater scrutiny, as they must.  

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

What about revenue?

Good quality programming will earn advertising dollars.  I don’t want to pay for crap just because it’s Canadian.  There’s plenty of great Canadian art and journalism.  No subsidies needed.  There needs to be an independent and free press.  CBC isn’t it, at least not anymore.  I like aspects of the CBC, but quality will make money without taxpayer support.

9 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

But why remove it? The CBC is a public service, brought in by the Conservative government. Most democratic countries have a public broadcaster. You have the BBC, NRK in Norway, France Televisions and Radio France, PBS /NPR in the US, ARD in Germany, SR / SVT in Sweden, ABC in Australia, and NRZ in New Zealand among most other countries. Every public broadcaster receives government funding. 

Rosie is fair? Are kidding us. They just tell you what you want to hear. Let's not forget the Manbridge Interview, even Trudeau was embarrassed.   And of course CBC quebec. Lol 

Edited by PIK

43 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Good quality programming will earn advertising dollars.  I don’t want to pay for crap just because it’s Canadian.  There’s plenty of great Canadian art and journalism.  No subsidies needed.  There needs to be an independent and free press.  CBC isn’t it, at least not anymore.  I like aspects of the CBC, but quality will make money without taxpayer support.

Therein lies a problem.

There is no or little advertising revenue for TV these days. All broadcasters are having a hard time getting advertising money as are newspapers and radio.

There is no Canadian art that isn't subsidized and that goes for journalism too.

Seems social media is much cheaper place to advertise.

Edited by ExFlyer

42 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

We have a cultural megalith so to us, that produces cultural commodities to the point where they flood the market. This was already established in the first Royal commission on culture, the Massey study, last century.

57 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

We have a cultural megalith so to us, that produces cultural commodities to the point where they flood the market. This was already established in the first Royal commission on culture, the Massey study, last century.

Keywords are “last century”.  I’m not worried about protecting Canadian culture anymore.  CRTC and all the bilingual bureaucracy (Quebec doesn’t care), endless duplications of policies…For what?  Our PM tells us Canada is colonialist and disgusting.  Why should we fund Ottawa’s projects when Ottawa hates itself?  They don’t even respect our constitutional rights.

Not interested in more woke state indoctrination programs.  Defund the CBC.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

it doesn't produce anything of value, especially relative to expenditures required

anything of actual value can survive without the CBC anyway, the juice doesn't justify the squeeze

9 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

The CBC has been bought by the Trudeau/Liberal government using my tax money.  It is left winged biased and has a large percent of its programing geared to 0.05% of the population. 

Will be happy to see it de-funded. 

The CBC was and is bought by whatever party is in power.....and that has been the way since Radio Canada.

"The mandate of Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC/Radio Canada) is to inform, enlighten and entertain; to contribute to the development of a shared national consciousness and identity; to reflect the regional and cultural diversity of Canada; and to contribute to the development of Canadian talent and culture."

Who else would do that without subsidy from the government??

6 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Question was, who would go to the expense and effort to carry out the CBC mandate without government subsidy.

The answer is no one.

if the culture you are producing requires government subsidy to survive

it doesn't deserve to survive

especially if that culture is bullshit propaganda

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

1.  I’m not worried about protecting Canadian culture anymore.  CRTC and all the bilingual bureaucracy (Quebec doesn’t care), endless duplications of policies…For what?   

2. Not interested in more woke state indoctrination programs.  Defund the CBC.

1. What about trade protection?  Cultural Protectionism assists that in a few ways: changing the platform for the debate as well as funding Canadian jobs .

2. I get it but baby, bathwater...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

What are you going to do to promote national interest?  The two points I raised?

We’ve been taught these past few years to be ashamed of “national interest.”   I know what you mean but I don’t think the current government can make a case for the national interest as they seem intent on undermining it.

All I see ahead under the current regime is national shame and taxpayer handouts (reparations) to favoured groups designated as victims of colonialism with special status. Are Quebecers interested in federal unity and goals/projects?  Do Indigenous groups identify as Canadians and see a point in Canada apart from extracting money/resources from it?  Why should Canadians fund more media shame and prostration of Canadians?  Our constitutional rights aren’t even respected these days.  Do Canadians care about Canada anymore or is it just a place to make money and enjoy a watered down American way of life or simply to stick with your own ethnic group  and not bother with other groups at all?

Cynicism is the last refuge of the idealist.  My cynicism is deep.  A former PM said, “Who will speak for Canada?”   I agree, but our own federal leaders won’t bother to defend it, so why fund their projects?

I want to buy in, but after a year of flags at half mast and the totalitarian first months of 2022, I don’t feel the love.  

Edited by Zeitgeist