Do You Feel Like Everything That You See on CBC and CNN is 100% Legitimate?

I know that there are a lot of people here ( @Michael Hardner, @dialamah, @eyeball, @herbie, @Aristides, etc) who feel like CNN and CBC/CTV are very reliable news sources, and that everything on Fox News is BS, but I wonder if any of you diehard leftists here can think of a time when you ever really questioned the overall integrity of a story that you saw on CNN, CBC, or CTV? Are there any stories that you saw there which look bad now, with the benefit of hindsight?

In your own words, what's the worst piece of journalism that you ever saw on the leftist news channels? 

You are oversimplifying.  All of these are corporate news sources, therefore they can't be leftist by the traditional definition.  And if you use the new definition, you're tacitly acknowledging that the left died, politically.

FOX CBC CNN and the rest do of course carry their share of inaccurate stories.  Gulf War WMD and the Kuwait City incubator stories come to mind as being false.  Same with the Steele Dossier.  And they repeat false stories of climate change that achieve scare mongering click bait status as well.

The question to ask is what does objectivity look like, and how do we achieve it.

• Like 3

Nope, not at all but, I have difficulty with all news sources that is why listening, hearing and reading multiple is required.

Having said that, there are clearly very partisan news groups/organizations/websites/forums etc that should be avoided.

I mean, Fox is clearly right, CNN while it tries to be middle leans left. PBS seems to straddle the line and in my opinion is quite believable. I also read and listen and watch BBC with respect.

CBS and ABC seem to be impartial. CBC flops to whomever is in power but it relies on government funding so, what can you expect.

Of course, the most preferred news is the ones that suits your narrative :)

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

none of the corporate news sources are left

CNN leans right

two of the stupidest remarks ever typed

get a grip, both of you

Almost every political panel and discussion on CNN is from a Democratic or Liberal perspective, which is left-leaning.  Not sure how you get "right" out of that.  That does not mean I disagree with everything I hear on CNN.  I oppose the gun lobby in the U.S. and the widespread presence of handguns and assault rifles.  I also oppose abortion, which liberals  and CNN generally support.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

not sure how ExFlyer gets lean right out of that either

other than the fact that he delusional things all the time

Again Y?

Your obsession with me is frightening. :)

Or maybe you really really like me, which scares me even more. Ha Ha Ha.

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

say stupid shit

you might get called out on it

best learn to cope

because you certainly aren't going to stop with the stupid shit

Chuckle, there you are again.

Cannot stay away from me..... really frightening.

There is help for you....somewhere :)

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

All of these are corporate news sources, therefore they can't be leftist by the traditional definition.

That might be the biggest turd of BS you've tried pass on here since the one about you being a Conservative.

The corporate left favors an expanded government presence. Equity of outcome over equality of opportunity. Power over the people by an expanded government. It doesn't matter that they now believe they can manipulate that government to support their aims. That's still left. Corporatism. Heard of it? It's non partisan.

"CorporatismThe influence of large business corporations in politics."

There is a corporate left.

But go ahead, show us why we shouldn't believe our lying eyes and fall in line with the smarmy claim it isn't there.

39 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

The corporate left favors an expanded government presence.  

If you believe this, then all you're doing is changing the definition of left.. from something that is against the powers that be and against the status quo, and ultimately for revolution, to something that is very much about keeping me establishment in power ... In other words conservative.

Leftism and rightism both include subvariants that want to lock in and control the population, as do hybrids of the two.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Why would a corporation be leftist? Ask yourself why a vehicle controlled for, and created for the wealthiest and most powerful be against the status quo?

Seriously I wonder about you people.

lots of corporations are lefties

not all the wealthy and powerful people are righties

the media in particular is mostly lefties

corporations aren't in favor of free markets

corporations are in favor of regulated markets

because they can afford to follow the regulations when their competition can't

especially when they get a big say in those regulations

notice how big media corporations are calling for the censorship of their competitors

especially their competitors on the right

Edited by Yzermandius19

10 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I wonder if any of you diehard leftists here can think of a time when you ever really questioned the overall integrity of a story that you saw on CNN, CBC, or CTV?

All the time.  A better question to ask is whether you've ever allowed that leftists have any integrity?  Clearly not in my opinion.

If there was ever a herd of pompous group-thinkers its those who automatically imagine no one but themselves have the capacity to think critically about what they see and hear on the news.  As if only they are aware of the power of the MSM's vast overwhelming capacity to influence and control people's minds.

As I've said more than a few times, the most important application of a good bullshit filter is to run your own thinking through it on occasion - kind of like scanning it for viruses and malware that you've downloaded.  Simply put, it's up to you to decide if it's appropriate to give weight to the information that comes into your mind through your senses. I'm pretty you've said you hate lefties and you live under a burden of belief that you exist in a totalitarian state that's comparable to North Korea's.

You're a fucking mess man, get a grip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The "news" doesn't have a bias. But those that don't like what they hear on the news insist it does. The "MSM" stations mentioned DO have editorial opinion, but is clearly separate from the actual "news". Wheras Fox and it's like deliver editorial opinion AS news.

As Michael Hardner pointed out the "MSM" makes it's income from delivering the news and that income is affected by the accuracy and quality of the news they deliver, so it is absurd to label them as 'left'.

At least by what a lot of posters claim is left....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The CBC has to be shut down. Government has no place in media. For that matter, why do half our TV programs have federal logo and then an OntariOWE or PAYbec logo under the fake guise of “culture”?

Break this phoney charade up. Get Alberta Out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

All the time.  A better question to ask is whether you've ever allowed that leftists have any integrity?  Clearly not in my opinion.

The thing with integrity is it's an either or thing, there's no sliding scale. 

If you want me to say that CBC or CNN occasionally slithers over the bar with 51% integrity I'll say for certain that's not a real thing.

If there was ever a herd of pompous group-thinkers its those who automatically imagine no one but themselves have the capacity to think critically about what they see and hear on the news.  As if only they are aware of the power of the MSM's vast overwhelming capacity to influence and control people's minds.

It's ironic that you would say that when 90% of leftist arguments are based on CNN/CBC's opinions.

Look at the posts of any leftist that you want to on this site and find me a spot where they tried to quantify vax efficacy in any way, shape or form. They can't. They don't even bother trying. They just say "Trudeau said so!" and that's that. 

They can't say how many vax vs unvaxed have died in the last year, they have no clue. They don't even want to know. They just want to pontificate from a position of pure ignorance. 

If you want to claim the title of "critical thinker" then tell me all about a story that CNN or CTV seemed to be spreading disinformation. 

I'm not just aware of the MSM's power to control your mind, I've already told you how they do it, but you don't believe me.

As I've said more than a few times, the most important application of a good bullshit filter is to run your own thinking through it on occasion - kind of like scanning it for viruses and malware that you've downloaded.  Simply put, it's up to you to decide if it's appropriate to give weight to the information that comes into your mind through your senses.

Even with the benefit of hindsight you don't apply your bullshit filter. It's busted. It's stuck on "automatically discredit 100% of what you see on conservative news sources, toe the party line from leftist sources no mtter how much you have to lie and dodge."

Leftists believed that HCQ was killing people and turning them blind when that wasn't the case for the last 70 years, and billions of doses were administered to hundreds of millions of people in that time span. Then those exact same people were 100% convinced that the vaxes would be safe and effective after minor clinical trials. When the side effects started coming out they just said "OK, this one vax kills people with blood clots but the other ones are safe as hell." Now they ignore myocarditis, they don't even understand how serious it is compared to covid. 

Apply your vaunted bullshit filter to "vax efficacy goalpost shifting" for a second. The whole story of covid is fucked.

Originally we had to fear it because it was a "novel virus" and we didn't know if our bodies could fight it. Well, the novel status is completely gone now, and we know that our bodies actually can fight it quite well. 

Did you ever think about what happens when we're all jabbed, based on the recommendation of a few disreputable people? Riddle me this: at that point, how could we possibly know if the jab actually does anything? Pfizer can tell you anything they want and you'd have no way of knowing if they're lying. They can say "Yes, 50M people died this year, but without our vaccine there would be 500M deaths. That's ten times as many, peon. Onnist injun."

I'm pretty you've said you hate lefties

I hate lefties. I have no use and no respect for lefties whatsoever. 

and you live under a burden of belief that you exist in a totalitarian state that's comparable to North Korea's.

No, it's not comparable to North Korea's and I never said it was. Our media is comparable to theirs, but we're not fully there yet. 

Unlike integrity, freedom and fascism are on a sliding scale. 

We were a free society back in 2010, but the pendulum has been swinging towards fascism quite drastically since 2015.

Trudeau blatantly bought the CBC with $675M in taxpayer dollars. Then he gave another 650M taxpayer dollars to "select media outlets".  He showered our tax dollars on foreign countries without even mentioning it to Canadians beforehand (how much of that massive pile of money found its way back to his offshore accounts?). He took control of the AG, he took control of our bank accounts, he's trying to strip our freedom of speech, eliminate non-sycophant media, he has a social credit scoring systems in place, he's hatemongering and the media is covering his tracks. 

Can you honestly say that we're not far closer to fascism now than you ever thought possible 10 years ago?

You're a fucking mess man, get a grip.  

I'm making salient points and you're making sandbox insults. Get a grip. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, herbie said:

The "news" doesn't have a bias. But those that don't like what they hear on the news insist it does. The "MSM" stations mentioned DO have editorial opinion, but is clearly separate from the actual "news".

FFS dude, Andrew Cuomo was sending infected patients back into care homes and forbidding them from being tested. Then he had his people fudge the death toll numbers in care homes to cover his tracks. How is that not a story if the media isn't biased? 

Leftists needed to get rid of Cuomo so they busted him for some low-level accusations, far less serious and credible than the ones against Biden. The care home death story was ignored. 

Chris Cuomo put himself in covid quarantine, came out without a mask on and got into an altercation with a cyclist, went back into quarantine, and then CNN did a show about him coming out of his basement for the first time in 2 weeks. It was 100% false, a known lie, yet they ran it anyways. None of the sheeple cared. 

Trudeau's mom got half a million dollars from WE for a paltry few speaking engagements. Morneau's daughter had  a regular job at WE and made $30k a year. Morneau fell on his sword and Trudeau was declared free from guilt. Case closed. That's bias.

Trudeau created a law for SNC, assumed control of the AG's office to use it even though it was deemed improper by the actual AG who was an actual legal professional, and our media lied about the possible implications of it. IE, SNC has a court-documented history of bribing Canadians to win bids on government contracts, CBC and CTV had written about it just 2 years earlier, but they withheld that info from Canadians when Trudeau was busted for being their stooge. That's media bias.

If Trump was guilty of what Trudeau is known to be guilty of CTV and CBC would have been burning effigies of him, but it was Trudeau, they let him put his spin on the stories and laid them to rest. 

Wheras Fox and it's like deliver editorial opinion AS news.

As Michael Hardner pointed out the "MSM" makes it's income from delivering the news and that income is affected by the accuracy and quality of the news they deliver, so it is absurd to label them as 'left'.

At least by what a lot of posters claim is left....

You have this all 100% backwards, you don't even have the slightest clue.

And you were called out in another thread for your glaring lack of "awareness" lol, you've yet to respond.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What a bad example. You selected something that literally all climate science, every country for the most part, has been convinced of. Disqualify yourself from this chat.

As the Climate-gate controversy continues to grow, amid charges of hiding and manipulating data, and suppressing research by academics who challenge global warming, there is one oft-repeated defense: other independent data-sets all reach the same conclusions. "I think everybody is clear on the science. I think scientists are clear on the science ... I think that this notion that there's some debate . . . on the science is kind of silly," said President Obama's Press Secretary, Robert Gibbs, when asked about the president's response to the controversy on Monday. Despite the scandal, Britain's Met, the UK’s National Weather Service, claims: "we remain completely confident in the data. The three independent data sets show a strong correlation is highlighting an increase in global temperatures."

But things are not so clear. It is not just the University of East Anglia data that is at question. There are about 450 academic peer-reviewed journal articles questioning the importance of man-made global warming. The sheer number of scientists rallying against a major intervention to stop carbon dioxide is remarkable. In a petition, more than 30,000 American scientists are urging the U.S. government to reject the Kyoto treaty. Thus, there is hardly the unanimity among scientists about global warming or mankind's role in producing it. But even for the sake of argument, assuming that there is significant man-made global warming, many academics argue that higher temperatures are actually good. Higher temperatures increase the amount of land to grow food, increase biological diversity, and improve people's health. Increased carbon dioxide also promotes plant growth.   Unquote

Surprise, Surprise, Many Scientists Disagree On Global Warming | Fox News

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming | Global Warming Wikia | Fandom

News - Why Scientists Disagree about Global Warming | Heartland Institute

There Is No Climate Emergency, Say 500 Experts in Letter to the United Nations | American Enterprise Institute - AEI

NASA Scientists Dispute Climate Change (businessinsider.com)

The 10 Most-Respected Global Warming Skeptics (businessinsider.com)

Why Scientists Disagree About Global Warming: Second Edition: The NIPCC Report on Scientific Consensus eBook : Idso, Craig, Carter, Robert, Singer, S. Fred, Noon, Marita: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store

This article is the kicker:   MITCHELL: Do 97% of the world’s scientists believe that man has caused global warming?

But it won't let me add the link.  Google it or I will try to add it to a second reply.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You are oversimplifying.  All of these are corporate news sources, therefore they can't be leftist by the traditional definition. 

OMG, the glaring bit of stupidity in that one is visible from outer space. I'm not even gonna bother explaining it to you.

And if you use the new definition, you're tacitly acknowledging that the left died, politically.

OK, I won't call the left's leaders liberals if it helps you sleep at night, but I will say that "Libs, Demmies and their owned MSM use shallow virtue-signalling like a magic pipe to lead leftist rats around by the nose". 

FOX CBC CNN and the rest do of course carry their share of inaccurate stories.  Gulf War WMD and the Kuwait City incubator stories come to mind as being false.  Same with the Steele Dossier.  And they repeat false stories of climate change that achieve scare mongering click bait status as well.

The question to ask is what does objectivity look like, and how do we achieve it.

Objectivity looks like an outright repudiation of CTV, CNN and CBC dogma. It looks like acknowledging their lies and calling them out for it. 

Just now, WestCanMan said:

Objectivity looks like an outright repudiation of CTV, CNN and CBC dogma. It looks like acknowledging their lies and calling them out for it. 

You're quoting sites that don't include editorial content.

What exactly are you proposing to replace them with?  

Think, man.  Your conspiracy videos are funded by someone...

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What a bad example. You selected something that literally all climate science, every country for the most part, has been convinced of. Disqualify yourself from this chat.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Climate Gate was a conspiracy theory from 2009.

Do you think anything else may have happened to confirm warming since then?

Hint: warming.

The climate and global warming and cooling has always occurred.  Global warming and cooling is part of nature and cyclic.  That is an elementary fact.  Try again.