Jump to content

Do you agree that to increase school safety, a “school hardening strategy” should be considered?


Recommended Posts

Hardening encompasses a wide range of physical defenses, such as surveillance cameras, metal detectors, door-locking systems, arming teachers and even armed guards. In the weeks following the Uvalde shooting, support for arming teachers and employing police officers in schools has been renewed by leaders from both political parties.

School security has become a major industry in the United States. Each year, more than $2.7 billion are spent on hardening schools. But there is currently no conclusive evidence that any of these measures prevent school shootings.

https://theconversation.com/does-hardening-schools-make-students-safer-184036?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily Newsletter for June 21 2022&utm_content=Daily Newsletter for June 21 2022+CID_988fb1b132a4d5ce7015e0a39f34609f&utm_source=campaign_monitor_us&utm_term=Does hardening schools make students safer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Luz P. said:

  support for arming teachers and employing police officers in schools has been renewed by leaders from both political parties.

Police performance was under heavy criticism in that tragedy, so how do people think a few teachers are supposed to do better ?  It seems like a dumb alternative to the obvious - which is to enact background checks and controls.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Better background checks and controls might help, but let's not forget there are over 400 million privately owned firearms in circulation and a wide open southern border where a T-72 tank could be easily smuggled in. If I was a parent i'd like to see one school entrance for entering and exiting along with the hiring of armed ex-police or military to monitor the one entrance. Arming teachers might not be a good idea. Let's keep the number of guns in the schools to a minimum.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please explain how exactly did you connect these dots: implementing a school hardening strategy to border security and the notion that a tank could be smuggled!?  You're aware the USA is one of the biggest arms manufacturer, right?

So if you were a parent you’d like to see one school entrance for entering and exiting along with the hiring of armed ex-police?  Yeah, because having kids in a prison-like environment will work wonders for their physique…

 Mental illness is the elephant in the room, one that seems no one wants to talk about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Police performance was under heavy criticism in that tragedy, so how do people think a few teachers are supposed to do better ?  It seems like a dumb alternative to the obvious - which is to enact background checks and controls.

Background checks can be a step in the right direction to keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people. But people can lie when filling out the forms and face no consequences. Hunter Biden did it. He has a long history of drug use which should be a giant red flag and he had no problem getting guns.

I'm really not sure about arming teachers and I'm certain many of them wouldn't be comfortable carrying a gun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Luz P. said:

Please explain how exactly did you connect these dots: implementing a school hardening strategy to border security and the notion that a tank could be smuggled!?  You're aware the USA is one of the biggest arms manufacturer, right?

So if you were a parent you’d like to see one school entrance for entering and exiting along with the hiring of armed ex-police?  Yeah, because having kids in a prison-like environment will work wonders for their physique…

 Mental illness is the elephant in the room, one that seems no one wants to talk about.

Even with all the funding in world, mental illness issues are not going to be resolved overnight.  Stricter background checks are not going to prevent anyone from acquiring a firearm if they're determined to get their hands on one.  So what other alternatives are there to protect kids in school from mass shootings other than making a school's front door the front line of defense? What's more important....  children's safety or optics?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Aristides said:

One wonders what putting students in schools turned into fortresses with armed guards will do for their mental health. At least, one should wonder.

You go wonder then. In the mean time...its time for action.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

School hardening is not that new in the US big cities. I had a pal who went to elementary school for a few years in NYC, told me they had police guards all along the way and you were supposed to go along those routes only. This would have been back in the 80's.

Now that we have the internet, maniacs have found their platform. They want to make a 'statement' or to shock the heck out of you's guys, and they know how to do it. They know with you all plugged in and online full-time.

Therefore shut down the WWW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Aristides said:

Guess this is where you eventually wind up when everyone and his dog can get a gun. Good object lesson for the rest fo the world. 

There are parts of this bill that are abrasive but...the cops in schools and security check I'm good with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Police performance was under heavy criticism in that tragedy, so how do people think a few teachers are supposed to do better ?  It seems like a dumb alternative to the obvious - which is to enact background checks and controls.

Followed by putting all gun owners on an FBI watchlist, and eventually arresting them, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CRABGRABBER said:

Followed by putting all gun owners on an FBI watchlist, and eventually arresting them, right?

Given that they couldn't even modify the law to respond to this horrible tragedy, you are indulging in paranoid fantasy.

Unfortunately, too many voters actually think this way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

My kids are Canadian 

Lucky you.. The American gun bunch want to spend billions hardening their schools to avoid meaningful reform. Sure be nice if they were so willing to spend that kind of money on actually educating their kids instead of turning their schools into fortresses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Lucky you.. The American gun bunch want to spend billions hardening their schools to avoid meaningful reform. Sure be nice if they were so willing to spend that kind of money on actually educating their kids instead of turning their schools into fortresses.

True.

Yet its also true that gun possession is guaranteed in the USA and they take that rather seriously.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

True.

Yet its also true that gun possession is guaranteed in the USA and they take that rather seriously.

An overwhelming number of Americans are in favour of extended background checks and assault weapon bans but the gun lobby and their bought politicians make that next to impossible in US political system.

Thank god we don't have anything like the second amendment in our constitution.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Aristides said:

An overwhelming number of Americans are in favour of extended background checks and assault weapon bans but the gun lobby and their bought politicians make that next to impossible in US political system.

Thank god we don't have anything like the second amendment in our constitution.

I agree. The 2nd has caused them all sorts of time and money. And yes...a majority of Americans do favour background checks. But a semi-automatic rifle...even a scary looking one...is not an "assault rifle". Its a toy. A real "assault rifle" will cut a man in half with 1 pull of the trigger. An AR15...will not. One is a weapon of war...the other is a toy made to look like a weapon of war.

The 2nd is one of the most interesting "rights" expressly granted to humans. Its a natural protection of a person's perceived right to live and defend his/her life...yet it is also an acknowledgement that eventually the American government would become power-drunk and the populace will once again either fight the government, or be dictated to by an overwhelming power.

And therein lies the current problem. The US government...and a lot of governments including our own...have gotten power-drunk. I don't know where this will all end. But today...I think its a wise idea for Americans to maintain the 2nd amendment as best as possible.

Edited by Nationalist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

The US government...and a lot of governments including our own...have gotten power-drunk. I don't know where this will all end. But today...I think its a wise idea for Americans to maintain the 2nd amendment as best as possible.

I find folks that think a gun or rifle will help them fight against the sophisticated weaponry at the hands of the government extremely naive.  If those in power decide to wage war on their population, chances are they’ll win.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Luz P. said:

I find folks that think a gun or rifle will help them fight against the sophisticated weaponry at the hands of the government extremely naive.  If those in power decide to wage war on their population, chances are they’ll win.

 

That can only happen if the military allows itself to be used by an individual to gain or keep power. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Aristides said:

What a drama queen.

You do realize the end goal of the Marxists is complete tyranny, and that's not possible without confiscating all our guns.

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Given that they couldn't even modify the law to respond to this horrible tragedy, you are indulging in paranoid fantasy.

Unfortunately, too many voters actually think this way.

These attacks are all false flags. Why do you think they're happening so much more frequently? They're turning up the heat to try to force gun control laws.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, CRABGRABBER said:

You do realize the end goal of the Marxists is complete tyranny, and that's not possible without confiscating all our guns.

These attacks are all false flags. Why do you think they're happening so much more frequently? They're turning up the heat to try to force gun control laws.

Drama Queen and Conspiracy Theorist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...