Federal Government must take immediate action against Quebec's new Language law.

It is the fundamental duty of Federal government to protect the right of Canadian citizens all over Canada and to protect the Charter. The new language law, bill 96 recently passed by those language fascists in power in Quebec is a clear violation of the Charter and hence unconstitutional and hence it is the duty of our Federal government to take immediate steps against this fascist law.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/language-law-bill-96-adopted-promising-sweeping-changes-for-quebec-1.5916503

New language law "has the potential to fundamentally change the constitutional order in Quebec — it sets French above fundamental rights and freedoms."

2 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

It is the fundamental duty of Federal government to protect the right of Canadian citizens all over Canada and to protect the Charter. The new language law, bill 96 recently passed by those language fascists in power in Quebec is a clear violation of the Charter and hence unconstitutional and hence it is the duty of our Federal government to take immediate steps against this fascist law.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/language-law-bill-96-adopted-promising-sweeping-changes-for-quebec-1.5916503

New language law "has the potential to fundamentally change the constitutional order in Quebec — it sets French above fundamental rights and freedoms."

I don't think the federal government will act itself or in the immediate future on the law because it fears Quebec separatists will call for a referendum on sovereignty.  More likely it will wait until other groups take it to court and when it gets to Supreme Court, the federal government could intervene, but that might not even be possible because Quebec could use the withstanding clause, which allows Quebec to ignore the Charter of Rights.  It may depend on whether the Supreme Court over-rules the use of the notwithstanding clause.  But doing that could trigger a move to separate.

13 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I don't think the federal government will act itself or in the immediate future on the law because it fears Quebec separatists will call for a referendum on sovereignty.  More likely it will wait until other groups take it to court and when it gets to Supreme Court, the federal government could intervene, but that might not even be possible because Quebec could use the withstanding clause, which allows Quebec to ignore the Charter of Rights.  It may depend on whether the Supreme Court over-rules the use of the notwithstanding clause.  But doing that could trigger a move to separate.

Well I always loved Quebec inside Canada and as an English speaking Quebecer (out of province student at the time), I was in the 1995 "We love Quebec" huge gathering in downtown Montreal a few days before referendum however, if Quebec wishes to violate our Charter and walk over our fundamental rights and demonstrate a shameful picture of present democratic Canada then I prefer them OUT of Federation rather than a shameful inside. We have to stand for what is right not to buy their votes by violating fundamental human rights of our citizens.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No federal governments have done anything about Quebec language or any other laws they pass ever. Federal Liberals or Conservatives, makes no difference.

Hell, we, in Canada, like Quebec so much we always elect Prime Ministers from Quebec.

Quebec gets to do what it wants, when it wants without recourse, forever.

31 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Well I always loved Quebec inside Canada and as an English speaking Quebecer (out of province student at the time), I was in the 1995 "We love Quebec" huge gathering in downtown Montreal a few days before referendum however, if Quebec wishes to violate our Charter and walk over our fundamental rights and demonstrate a shameful picture of present democratic Canada then I prefer them OUT of Federation rather than a shameful inside. We have to stand for what is right not to buy their votes by violating fundamental human rights of our citizens.

Quebec does not violate your charter, notwithstanding, that is their right :)

50 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

then I prefer them OUT of Federation rather than a shameful inside. We have to stand for what is right not to buy their votes by violating fundamental human rights of our citizens.

the Confederation & the Charter are under two separate constitutions

you don't actually have any mechanism to kick Quebec out of the BNA Act 1867

you don't have any mechanism for imposing the Canada Act 1982 upon them neither

but this is the nature of federations

once you enter Quebec, you are still in the Confederation, but outside the jurisdiction of the Canada Act 1982

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

No federal governments have done anything about Quebec language or any other laws they pass ever. Federal Liberals or Conservatives, makes no difference.

Hell, we, in Canada, like Quebec so much we always elect Prime Ministers from Quebec.

Quebec gets to do what it wants, when it wants without recourse, forever.

Well Chrétien’s government brought in the Clarity Act to ensure that Quebecers know what they are voting for in a referendum and what would have to be negotiated and lost.

It’s so rich to expect $13 billion from English Canada in transfer payments, refuse an Energy East pipeline that would make all Canadians wealthier and energy independent, and to treat out of province Canadians like foreigners through tuition fees and a $5000 welcome charge for Canadians who move there.  To now deny Canadian federal services in English to anglophone Quebecers is oppressive, unfair, and unconstitutional. Many Quebecers think they deserve more than other Canadians, even as they make below average economic contributions within Confederation.  Why has the federal government accepted this?

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure how true it is but it is so horrible that it is hard to believe. Someone from Quebec told me that even hospitals can refuse to provide service in English if the patient can't communicate in French. What happened to doctors' oath to save lives. Are they going to add only save French lives? Disgusting if true.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Not sure how true it is but it is so horrible that it is hard to believe. Someone from Quebec told me that even hospitals can refuse to provide service in English if the patient can't communicate in French. What happened to doctors' oath to save lives. Are they going to add only save French lives? Disgusting if true.

Never having lived in Quebec but in my Military career having had to spend time there, I realized that outside of major centres, there is very little English spoken. And in some instances, even if they could speak and understand English, they refused.

You want to talk propaganda in Canada, the anti english/pro french propaganda is extreme in Quebec.

On 6/11/2022 at 12:22 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

It is the fundamental duty of Federal government to protect the right of Canadian citizens all over Canada and to protect the Charter. The new language law, bill 96 recently passed by those language fascists in power in Quebec is a clear violation of the Charter...

Citizen_2015,

You misunderstand our Federal Charter, the US Constitution and the writings of Pierre Trudeau.

As Trudeau's Charter intended, the amendments to the US Constitution specifically restrict the power of the State.

=====

Trudeau Snr, ever the federalist, said: "Create counterweights."

Edited by August1991

On 6/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, Zeitgeist said:

----

It’s so rich to expect $13 billion from English Canada in transfer payments, refuse an Energy East pipeline that would make all Canadians wealthier and energy independent, and to treat out of province Canadians like foreigners

----

I was discussing this recently with a German and the bailout of Greece.

As I explained, in Canada, we have an annual $13 billion bailout.

The Quebec government in effect can tax people in Alberta. 

20 hours ago, RedDog said:

Were you under the dumb ass assumption that no one’s keeping track? Obviously it has to be repaid. WTF were you thinking?

Repaid?

=====

We in Canada - including Alberta - are well off because of federal Liberals.

Alberta could be Venezuela or Nigeria.

It happens.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:22 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Why draw the line right here, what was wrong with past laws that were sketchy like religious symbols, or previous language laws. We can not pick and choose we need to be consistent, and so far the federal government is worried about votes and perceptions and has been consistently looking the other way. . Quebec has many seats and these laws are popular with Quebecor's.. so a lot of "look a Squirrel" going on.

Trudeau Jr is out of his depth.  His government buys votes through inflationary overspending and panders to reckless far left special interests to keep NDP voters onside.  It’s always about looking woke-green among international elites.  He can’t pivot, refuses to lift mandates until people are fist-fighting in airports, maintains carbon taxes as people are losing their homes due to fuel prices.  Climbing interest rates and inflation are exposing the irresponsibility.  Public hardship is going to make the sunny ways and rainbow sock, anti-colonial rhetoric look like Stalinist propaganda.  People won’t be able to pretend everything is okay much longer.

Slow to procure vaccines, slow to lift mandates, and now slow to deal with unconstitutional treatment of the Quebec anglophone minority.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

On 6/11/2022 at 2:41 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Well I always loved Quebec inside Canada and as an English speaking Quebecer (out of province student at the time), I was in the 1995 "We love Quebec" huge gathering in downtown Montreal a few days before referendum...

In both 1980 and 1995, I voted in favour of a new arrangement.

After voting, I recall clearly walking down the street on 20 May 1980 in Quebec City. The paper ballot was in both English and French. I read the text half way then switched. Then voted yes.

René Lévesque was remarkable. 

I learned later, my 1995 vote was disallowed.

Edited by August1991

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

In both 1980 and 1995, I voted in favour of a new arrangement.

After voting, I recall clearly walking down the street on 20 May 1980 in Quebec City. The paper ballot was in both English and French. I read the text half way then switched. Then voted yes.

René Lévesque was remarkable. 

I learned later, my 1995 vote was disallowed.

It wasn't a new arrangement. It was a vote on separation from Canada and becoming an independent country. Quebec politicians tried to trick Quebecers into thinking that they will keep their Canadian passports and citizenships to get them vote yes but all that was dirty lies by dirty separatists.