Voter apathy, right

29 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Yeah because you know what that does. It is that simple. And that is what politics has descended to in this country, under Justin Trudeua. Sic man, sic.

Therefore I say unto you, I say... these people are not necessarily apathetic, but stoned.

;) 

I once asked a wealthy man, how he managed to make money on the stock market. He told me that he watched what the majority of people were doing and tried to NOT do that. I asked him why he would actively buck trends. His response I have never forgotten. He said that he'd found that about 75% of human beings do not want to think for themselves and merely follow "trends". They are..."followers" and are usually wrong.

Failing that he said...he asks his wife... ;)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I suspect we are waiting for leaders to emerge under the new model.  Can you imagine a person who speaks to all Canadians

If we were looking for ways to create a project of renewal or rather, first conscious and deliberate construction of a functional modern democracy in the country, why would be dependent on the leaders? And not for example on shared values and priorities, ability to self-organize, discuss and agree on priorities and ways to move forward? I can't see how all of that could come from one individual, even a genius one.

6 minutes ago, myata said:

1. If we were looking for ways to create a project of renewal or rather, first conscious and deliberate construction of a functional modern democracy in the country, why would be dependent on the leaders?
2. And not for example on shared values and priorities, ability to self-organize, discuss and agree on priorities and ways to move forward? I can't see how all of that could come from one individual, even a genius one.

1. NOT politicians but leaders.  To some, for example, Tamara Lich is a leader.
2. You're right - that's why I said 'leaders'.... groups of people and movements.  They are starting already.  The first few will fail, then they will improve.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The Convoy is the first iteration of a people-led response to government policy IMO

From negation to construction of a new the distance can be long. The next step would be self-organization not as reaction to overreaching policies but for some positive change. From that further results can follow. But it still seems to be a long way from that.

And I would question the role of the learned community media and such. Are they hand fed to quack for supporting the status quo in perpetuity? When a supposedly experienced political host in response to dismal voter participation suggests another panel discussion or combining existing parties is it a conviction that nothing better is possible, naivite or something else? Watching it over the recent period I cannot be sure there's anything independent left in this country.

Edited by myata
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, myata said:

1. I would question the role of the learned community media and such. Are they hand feed to quack for supporting status quo in perpetuity?

2. When a supposedly experienced political host in response to dismal voter participation suggests another panel discussion or combining existing parties is it a conviction that nothing better is possible, naivite or something else?

1. I think you will find that academics and such are as unsatisfied as anyone with the status quo.
2. It's called lack of imagination.

21 minutes ago, RedDog said:

My observation is that many Canadians have a twenty minute attention span and secretly need and want society to look after them and make all well within that window.

Well nothing new can be discovered here from the times of Rome some two millennia / hundred generations back. If attention span covers only bread and circuses then troubles and dictators invariably follow at some point. Sooner or later.

• Like 1