Trump and his supporters supporting the NRA and gun lobby total madness.

It is shameful that the NRA is holding it's convention in Texas a few days after the massacre of 19 children and 2 teachers at the school in Uvalde, Texas.  And it is equally deplorable that Trump is scheduled to make an appearance at the NRA convention.  Many Americans still don't get it that the widespread number of guns and the easy availability of assault rifles is killing countless Americans.  The 18 year old suspect that killed all the children and teachers could not go into a bar to buy liquor, but he could easily go into a gun shop and buy two AR-15 assault rifles and ammunition.  Madness.  Americans reportedly own 900 million guns in the population of 337 million people.  Total insanity.

Edited by blackbird
  • Haha 1

• blackbird changed the title to Trump and his supporters supporting the NRA and gun lobby total madness.

I would like to know where things sit in reality. If I am honest I make sure I drive well in the US, and never cut anyone off less someone guns me down on the freeway.  But how likely is that?  

I also worry about leaving my 9 year old in a car if I run into the pet store.  How likely is it someone kidnaps him and sells him into the sex trade?  Is it more myth than reality?

2 hours ago, blackbird said:

It is shameful that the NRA is holding it's convention in Texas a few days after the massacre of 19 children and 2 teachers at the school in Uvalde, Texas. 

No. It's absolutely necessary. More now than ever.

If the NRA has something to answer for, they should. If they don't feel they do, we should know why.

If the answers are insufficient then that in itself in an answer.

I’m a gun owner in about as conservative a town as you’ll find. I’m conservative and proud of it but the Republicans are mad down there when it comes to guns. Any country that accepts dead children over and over as a “price to pay” for their “freedom” is a country that is out of control. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LloydminsterOiler said:

I’m a gun owner in about as conservative a town as you’ll find. I’m conservative and proud of it but the Republicans are mad down there when it comes to guns. Any country that accepts dead children over and over as a “price to pay” for their “freedom” is a country that is out of control. 

Canada doesn't have truly conservative towns.  At best the most conservative canadian is just right of Mitt Romney.

4 hours ago, Faramir said:

The number of shooting deaths, most of which are lawful, are dwarfed by the number of people who die each year from falling.  

Are you serious?

"Defined most commonly as any shooting in which four or more people—not including the perpetrator—are injured or killed, mass shootings happen every day in America, and sometimes more often. In 2019, there were 417 such assaults. In 2020, there were 610—nearly two mass shootings per day—killing 513 people and injuring 2,543. But mass shootings represent a tiny fragment of the problem. Nearly 20,000 people were murdered by guns last year, and another 40,000 injured. That doesn’t even account for the approximately 24,000 suicides by gun in 2020. Another way to look at it: Guns are involved in 75 percent of all murders and 51 percent of all suicides."

Gun Violence Statistics in the United States in Charts and Graphs | Reader's Digest (rd.com)

So how do you figure the 20,000 people murdered by guns last year was "lawful"?

We can't easily control or prevent people from falling, especially older people who have poor balance, but society can eliminate the massive number of guns and assault rifles.

3 hours ago, LloydminsterOiler said:

This Texas shooting is horrible of course but I am often left wondering why there is rarely any protest or outrage over the weekly death toll in a place like Democratic Chicago. They accept dead children over and over.

The response was predictable from the left in that they would blame Republicans and the NRA but they must be disappointed that they can't use the white supremacy angle given that the alleged shooter was hispanic.

Sometimes I think some people enjoy a horrific mass shooting of say...innocent children.

It gives them an opportunity to go out onto the street and flaunt their self-proposed virtue by attacking convenient enemies as perpetrators.

This one below has to be the funniest thing I've seen all year.

Phonies.

• Like 1

I understand Trump read out loud the name of every victim at the NRA convention. Paid homage and respects to their families. 

The slaughter in Texas was horrific. Last night several people, likely black, died at the hands of people with illegal firearms. Itll happen tonight too. Does this make the CNN or MSNBC news? Nope. Gee...I wonder why that is?

It's not crystal clear what the Democrats want to do. What they say and what their real intentions are can be two different things. Criminal background checks does not sound unreasonable but there is a lot of rhetoric coming from the left. Mr. Hit and run Beto O'Rourke said "hell yeah, we're going to take your AR15!" I don't own an AR15 but it's another semi-automatic rifle, albeit a very fine one with different variants. 

The Democrats, much like the Liberals in Canada have a very similar goal and methods it seems. Go after legitimate gun owners while so many punks(depending on skin colour) get very light sentences for serious gun crimes. Thank those George Soros funded DA's. 

I think the ultimate goal is to disarm the population over time while they'll continue to ignore gun violence in the big( Democratic run) cities.

A Brief History of the NRA | National Rifle Association

4 hours ago, ironstone said:

It's not crystal clear what the Democrats want to do. What they say and what their real intentions are can be two different things. Criminal background checks does not sound unreasonable but there is a lot of rhetoric coming from the left. Mr. Hit and run Beto O'Rourke said "hell yeah, we're going to take your AR15!" I don't own an AR15 but it's another semi-automatic rifle, albeit a very fine one with different variants. 

The Democrats, much like the Liberals in Canada have a very similar goal and methods it seems. Go after legitimate gun owners while so many punks(depending on skin colour) get very light sentences for serious gun crimes. Thank those George Soros funded DA's. 

I think the ultimate goal is to disarm the population over time while they'll continue to ignore gun violence in the big( Democratic run) cities.

A Brief History of the NRA | National Rifle Association

I think you have a lot of misunderstanding on this.  First, many people in the U.S. albeit mostly Democrats want to see an America without 900 million guns in the population.  This has nothing to do with legitimate gun owners.  Nobody needs an AR-15 or military assault rifle to begin except the armed forces.  That is the first thing.  They need to ban all military assault rifles from private ownership.  Secondly, many Americans rightly question the need for everyone to be able to carry a handgun concealed or openly.  That is like the wild west.  America is probably the only country in the world that has the right to bear arms in it's constitution.  That was written in a different age, perhaps 250 years ago when they lived in the wild west.  We have all seen the movies where every guy in every little town carried one or two guns on his holster.  That mentality still exists in America and is the reason why they have this problem now.   Guns are just part of American thinking and there are far more in America than people.  Average about two or three times as many guns as people counting every child, man, woman, and boy.  The gun lobby ideology is still the same as the wild west.  They believe everyone has a right to guns.  But I don't think the 2nd amendment envisioned assault rifles or mass shooting of people which is common now.  I don't think the widespread possession of firearms in cities, whether they are mostly Democrat or mostly Republican, can be justified on any moral ground.  The number of shooting of people per year in America proves it is completely wrong.

If I had my way, the Constitution would be changed and the only people permitted to own guns would be legitimate hunters and target shooters at a rifle range.  And I would ban hand guns completely from private ownership.  There are millions of people who are mentally disturbed in one way or another and there is no way to filter them out of the equation except to remove the possibility of them getting their hands on guns.  I know America will never ban hand guns, so they will have to live with tens of thousands of innocent citizens being shot every year as is the case now.  Mass shooting will continue.  They don't need assault rifles to do it although assault rifles just makes it worse.  I would completely ban assault rifles and require very strict screening to give people hunting licences.  Perhaps require target shooters to require their guns be kept at the rifle or gun range in supervised lockers.  No hand guns in homes or held by private citizens.  All would be locked at the gun range if I had my way.  But I know it will never happen.  So the shootings will continue.

Edited by blackbird

I don't profess to be a gun expert but I think assault rifles and assault style rifles are two different things. Assault rifles can go fully automatic while assault style rifles are semi automatic. I agree nobody needs machine guns and certain people should not be allowed to own firearms, like those with criminal records or mental illness. I think a lot of law abiding Americans would like to have the right to own handguns for protection. I bet there are a lot of frightened people in Chicago that would feel more secure with a gun in the home while the gangs are shooting it out on the street.

The US and other countries might want to look at Switzerland as an example.

In Switzerland, gun ownership is high but mass shootings are low. Why? - Big Think

I think it's unfair to assume the NRA wants guns in the hands of everyone. I looked at their website and there's an awful lot about gun safety. Not that the gangs using guns care though.

Trump is just playing to his base to reinforce his popularity.  His stance that the solution is to arm yet more people will not alienate his supporters, whilst the overwhelming majority of those who disagree with him on this already despise him.  He doesn’t really care about guns or gun control ( he refers to his gun-owning base as ‘you 2nd amendment people’ ) but he does care about being in the news with his base-pleasing rhetoric.

On 5/28/2022 at 4:11 AM, Infidel Dog said:

Sometimes I think some people enjoy a horrific mass shooting of say...innocent children.

It gives them an opportunity to go out onto the street and flaunt their self-proposed virtue by attacking convenient enemies as perpetrators.

This one below has to be the funniest thing I've seen all year.

Phonies.

Question: Why is it that those who protest habitually...are either fat ugly women, or emasculated girlie-boys?

21 hours ago, Rogdodge2020 said:

Trump is just playing to his base to reinforce his popularity.  His stance that the solution is to arm yet more people will not alienate his supporters, whilst the overwhelming majority of those who disagree with him on this already despise him.  He doesn’t really care about guns or gun control ( he refers to his gun-owning base as ‘you 2nd amendment people’ ) but he does care about being in the news with his base-pleasing rhetoric.

Why should he? His "rhetoric" is gonna get him elected to the Whitehouse again.

On 5/28/2022 at 9:51 AM, blackbird said:

I think you have a lot of misunderstanding on this.  First, many people in the U.S. albeit mostly Democrats want to see an America without 900 million guns in the population. 

That will never happen without totalitarianism. Maybe not even then. If you think it can, tell me how. If you can't, it's off the table.

This has nothing to do with legitimate gun owners. 

Bullshit.

Nobody needs an AR-15 or military assault rifle to begin except the armed forces. 

Only three percent of mass shootings (using the 4 or more hit rule) used assault rifles.

Hero Who Stopped Texas Gunman: I Couldn’t Have Stopped Him Without My AR-15

Secondly, many Americans rightly question the need for everyone to be able to carry a handgun concealed or openly.

Armed woman kills man who fired rifle into crowd at West Virginia birthday party

Edited by Infidel Dog

And here's on in answer to Aristides belief he could have stopped the Uvalde shooter with a longer waiting time on his background check:

The deadly mass shooting in Uvalde, TX, is leading to a flurry of new demands for gun control. As is par for the course in these situations, political posturing takes center stage, and any discussion of who the shooter was, why he did what he did, and what actually might have prevented him from doing it is pushed aside for vast generalities and nods toward unrelated “solutions.”

Take universal background checks, for example. That is the top policy prescription being offered by Democrats and their media allies right now. The problem? The Uvalde shooter passed a background check. But what about mandatory waiting periods, another common proposal? Well, the shooter waited over a week before even picking up the rifles he bought, meaning he’d have been outside of pretty much any waiting-period window (most are three to seven days). Is the suggestion that one more week would have changed the evil in his heart?

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2022/05/30/republicans-line-up-to-violate-your-rights-in-order-to-please-democrats-n572152

3 minutes ago, Aristides said:

So where and how did the people your so called good guys shot get their guns? It must be terrible to be so afraid of the world around you that you feel the need to carry a firearm.

Legally.

And as I mentioned before the 2 demographics rising fastest in legal gun purchases are blacks and women.

PdP6bJQ.jpg

56 minutes ago, Aristides said:

So what, it's still fear that makes people think they need to carry a firearm. 

I'd say caution but right back at ya...so what.

There are more guns than people in America and some of those people are dangerous. You can't grab all the guns and new laws are useless so be the good guy with the gun that knows how to use one safely and properly.

I subscribe to this girl on YouTube: American Gun Chic:

I started subscribing to her years ago when she'd decided she didn't want to be scared anymore so she thought she'd learn about guns.

Now she's pretty much an expert and she travels around America teaching women who are where she was when she started. She calls them Honey Badgers.

Edited by Infidel Dog