Federal Conservative Debate Laval Qc - mai 2022

To be fair, I recall that there was lots of disagreement with the English ability of Stephane Dion, although I had no problem with his level of English and voted for him. There are also a fair amount of Trump-supporters who might be less accepting of hispanics who do not speak perfect English. So, certainly there is some linguistic intolerance in the English-speaking world.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

On 5/31/2022 at 5:02 PM, WestCanMan said:

Charest is the CBC's choice for Canada. Debates will be framed to make him look good.

They'll choose debate questions which play to Charest's strength, they'll allow Charest to interrupt, they'll avoid topics that are good for PP, and if PP gets onto one of his preferred topics or interrupts Charest he'll get gob-smacked by the moderator. 

I expect that as well, but if there is one thing I can give him credit for, is that he performs very well at making people swallow bs. It's a natural with him. I think he is a psychopath.

When Trudeau is lying and bs-ing us, his face and his non verbal is warning us, he sounds as fake as a Rolex street seller. Charest has a way to make the shit sounds real.

Give him one or two mandates and he will turn Canada into the most corrupted place in the world.

Edited by Benz
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 1:20 AM, -1=e^ipi said:

I also wonder if there are differences in standards of linguistic acceptance between English Canada and French Canada. For example, I would consider a candidate with an equivalent level of English as Patrick Brown's French as being at an acceptable level. Maybe English Canada is just more accepting of immigrants compared to Quebec, so there is a greater level of acceptance of different linguistic competencies due to exposure to immigrants. Of course, individuals within societies will vary in their linguistic expectations.

Do you think you are a good representative of the English Canada?

Although Jack Layton was speaking a good french avec un léger accent, he was not capable to win supports in Québec until the day he said that it is not acceptable that Québec is rejected from the constitution, he would change that and he agrees with our legitimated claims. Then bam, the orange wave flooded Québec.  The next NDP's leaders avoided that topic and within few elections, the NDP felt back to the 4th position in Quebec.

If you want to win Québec, it's easy. Even one with a poor french accent can do it. But they don't want to please Québec. They just want to suck up votes. Even with a good french language, the Québécois can smell you a thousand miles round.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:20 AM, -1=e^ipi said:

Maybe I'm slightly biased because my French is at a similar level as Patrick Brown, or slightly worse. But, aren't your standards a bit unreasonable if you are putting Patrick Brown in the same category as the other three candidates?

In Canada, Patrick Brown is unelectable at the federal level. He can't speak French.

====

Among the zillion choices in life, this simple criteria makes sense:

I want a federal PM who can speak to everyone in my country.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:21 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Such as scene is as far away from standup comedy as possible.

I asked a Taiwanese woman I knew why stand up comedy wasn't popular in the East and she said "why would people want to sit around and listen to a stupid person?"

I had a similar experience with a Russian woman.

====

Maybe it's a western guy thing,

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, Benz said:

Do you think you are a good representative of the English Canada?

Although Jack Layton was speaking a good french avec un léger accent, he was not capable to win supports in Québec until the day he said that it is not acceptable that Québec is rejected from the constitution, he would change that and he agrees with our legitimated claims. Then bam, the orange wave flooded Québec.  The next NDP's leaders avoided that topic and within few elections, the NDP felt back to the 4th position in Quebec.

If you want to win Québec, it's easy. Even one with a poor french accent can do it. But they don't want to please Québec. They just want to suck up votes. Even with a good french language, the Québécois can smell you a thousand miles round.

I apologize for my previous comments. I was so surprised by some of August1991's comments that I wasn't thinking clearly. August1991's views don't reflect at all the general opinions of Quebeckers and francophones. Now that I think about it, essentially all of the Quebeckers, franco-Ontarians, or francophone immigrants from other countries that I have met in person do not take such an extreme view on language proficiency. In addition, various Quebec commentators in the news would also make a distinction between Patrick Brown and the three candidates with very weak french ability.

On 6/2/2022 at 11:15 PM, August1991 said:

In Canada, Patrick Brown is unelectable at the federal level. He can't speak French.

But he can speak french, badly, but he can still speak french. Your standards seem very odd to me. Did you watch the same debate as me?

Out of curiosity, do you consider Manon Massé of Québec Solidaire as being able to speak English? Because, in my opinion, she can speak English, as shown by the 2018 debates:

On 6/2/2022 at 11:15 PM, August1991 said:

I want a federal PM who can speak to everyone in my country.

There are deaf people in this country that communicate with sign language and have difficult with English and French. There are indigenous people in this country that do not speak either official language (example). Knowing only English and French isn't enough to speak to every adult in Canada.

Personally, I would have no problem voting for someone who spoke neither official language, provided that they had good policies. Of course, languages should always be considered an asset. Someone who can speak English, French, Mandarin, Arabic, and Cree should be considered more linguistically qualified to be prime minister than Justin Trudeau.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:17 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

I apologize for my previous comments. I was so surprised by some of August1991's comments that I wasn't thinking clearly. August1991's views don't reflect at all the general opinions of Quebeckers and francophones. Now that I think about it, essentially all of the Quebeckers....

You don't see my two basic points.

1. Many people vote the way they choose a gift. What will they think of me?

2. Charest? He's like a gift that provokes no problem.

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

You don't see my two basic points.

I was commenting only on your statement that Patrick Brown can't speak French. So, arguments about who is the best candidate or who people should vote for are not relevant.

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

2. Charest? He's like a gift that provokes no problem.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Also, I don't support any of the major political parties. Charest, Brown, Poilievre, Trudeau, Singh, etc., I don't support any of them. We need electoral reform, so that we can have better choices in all future elections.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:12 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Really?

With such a sophisticated moniker, you don't understand that many individuals - when the choice is irrelevant to them - choose what others choose.

Rational behaviour is a theory of individual behaviour. It makes no prediction of group behaviour.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:30 PM, -1=e^ipi said:

Out of curiosity, do you consider Manon Massé of Québec Solidaire as being able to speak English? Because, in my opinion, she can speak English....

Her English is about as comprehensible as Patrick Brown's French.

But she does not have the ego of Patrick Brown.

=====

Nowadays, voters want a trustworthy leader who can speak/explain to them in an understandable way what experts are doing.

You know, leaders like Churchill and Lévesque.

Edited by August1991

Federal politics in Canada is a difficult game.

Nowadays, voters in Quebec and English-Canada (native French/English speakers) expect a leader to use both languages well. Provide turns of phrases.

Trudeau Snr and Mulroney raised the bar.

====

In their own way, Donald Trump and Barack Obama mastered contemporary American English. In Canada, federal voters now expect a similar use of two languages.

Edited by August1991