School Boards Promoting Homosexuality?

Rainbow Gay Pride Flags Outside Schools  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Far as I know sex with or among minors is a crime. Although it’s good to teach, shouldn’t be encouraged.

Flying a flag, that’s encouraging.

Personally I’m not agin it, it’s just a question of priorities.

Put up the hetero flag then. And the black, indian flags. Dont forget the white flag. Little Johnny should not feel guilt for past crimes by Canada, because of his skin. Sometimes the message is misunderstood.

This is the mess of identity politics that our governments have embraced.  It now dominates our educational institutions.  It’s reckless.  Claims by parents of political agendas and indoctrination in special interest ideologies are on solid footing.  Our education system is doing dubious things to children.  They are indeed forming our citizens.  Do they know what they’re doing?  Get back to literacy, numeracy, science, arts, etc., and stop pushing a vocal special interest political perspective on the young.  Parents didn’t sign up for this.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. Why not some other cultural support flag? Which support flag? There are so many. Which one do they choose?

2.it is wrong/unfair/prejudicial to show support for one group and not others.

1. I don't know.  Let's pick some relevant ones.  It's not that hard.

2. That's bullshit.  They don't need to show the Irish flag, the Rwandan one at the moment.  The point is to show love and kindness rather than push back on collective expressions of empathy.

There are plenty of examples where we can show children when to draw a line and be tough when necessary.  This isn't one of them.

19 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. it’s good to teach, shouldn’t be encouraged.

2. Flying a flag, that’s encouraging.

3.Put up the hetero flag then. 

1. It's not

2. No it's not

3. That kind of "what about ME" approach dismisses the lesson therein.  Teach empathy, inclusion and positivity.  Accept people who are different, like trans folks, Convoy people, Sri Lankans etc. 

Build a project here, to create a productive and peaceful society.

46 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I don't know.  Let's pick some relevant ones.  It's not that hard.

2. That's bullshit.  They don't need to show the Irish flag, the Rwandan one at the moment.  The point is to show love and kindness rather than push back on collective expressions of empathy.

There are plenty of examples where we can show children when to draw a line and be tough when necessary.  This isn't one of them.

You missed the point.

The point was and is, why just the one flag and not any other, regardless of which one. The rainbow flag is up seemingly all the time, not just on Gay Pride day (Week, month?)

Show children to draw what line??? Are you suggesting the school to define lines?? I suggest schools teach laws and parents teach morals.

2 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Catholic schools are "public". Publicly funded means public.

You do not need to be catholic to go to "catholic" schools.

Right, but I was responding to the suggestion that Catholic schools teach these things uniquely, otherwise I don't understand the point of the post I responded to with that.

56 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. It's not

2. No it's not

3. That kind of "what about ME" approach dismisses the lesson therein.  Teach empathy, inclusion and positivity.  Accept people who are different, like trans folks, Convoy people, Sri Lankans etc. 

Build a project here, to create a productive and peaceful society.

This does not counter what I said. I did not take an emotional or “anti-empathy” position, as your rebuttal implies. I’m all for encouraging lovey-dovey group hugs.

I’m saying the need for flag raising is out of scope for the services that I as parent and taxpayer expect schools to provide. The issue is political poison in today’s dialogue.

Keep politics out of school.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Because one side needs help?

2. No, you are by suggesting that all flags must be flown.  

1. Needs help???  Are you saying the LQGBT community needs help? From our school system??

2. No, I am suggesting any group flag can also be flown if they are going to fly one. Every day they could fly support flags for something else. . Questioning why only rainbow.

I am against flying flags other than National or Provincial in general. Many ways of showing sympathy or support.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

1. I’m saying the need for flag raising is out of scope for the services that I as parent and taxpayer expect schools to provide.

2. The issue is political poison in today’s dialogue. Keep politics out of school.

1. I already said it is.  And if the point is that it's outside the scope, how the hell does flying a 'hetero' flag fix this?

2. It's long past controversial for most people, and I suspect most parents are fine with it.  I only have seen it challenged by a few people on here which is not a bellwether for my community.

I would always be sure to provide an acknowledgement to students that some cultures (notably the hardcore Christians who united with Muslims in Ontario for example) who can't accept the lifestyle of LGBTQ and we have to live with that.

Just as there are Jews who believe women are unclean for part of the month.

Just now, ExFlyer said:

1. Needs help???  Are you saying the LQGBT community needs help? From our school system??

2. No, I am suggesting any group flag can also be flown if they are going to fly one. Every day they could fly support flags for something else. . Questioning why only rainbow.

3. I am against flying flags other than National or Provincial in general. Many ways of showing sympathy or support.

1. Yes.

2.i already answered both of these things.

3. Ok

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

. No it's not

We differ on what flying a flag represents. It flies overhead, always a reminder. Do children need to be reminded in such a way about their sexuality?

Yes, the flag introduces sexuality into their daily discourse. I prefer that it be taught by professional educators, and where children are concerned should be more low-key, than flying a flag on high.

However, I do think the idea of inclusivity is important. If they really want to run it up the flagpole then use it equally for all. 

Groups can apply to have their flags raised, pay a fee for the ad-space. Then let the fun begin. Kooky...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Right, but I was responding to the suggestion that Catholic schools teach these things uniquely, otherwise I don't understand the point of the post I responded to with that.

You said :

"We teach morality, health, civics and personal growth too.  Always have. "

I said they only teach one semester per year of religion.

29 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah, you said that your grandson isn't taught those topics, that he is taught public school curriculum but those are taught there.

Correct. They get one class for one semester per year of religion and it is not "morality, health, civics and personal growth".

The courses are those mandated  by the provincial government, same as in any public school in Ontario.

You seem very pro LGTBQ flag flying in schools at any other group flag expense so, you answered little except defend that.

By saying the LGBTQ community needs help and schools fly their flag, you dismiss all other groups that have flags as not needing help. I am for equality but, it means equality for all not just the de rigueur group of the moment.

Edited by ExFlyer

Just now, OftenWrong said:

1.. Do children need to be reminded in such a way about their sexuality?

2. Yes, the flag introduces sexuality into their daily discourse. 

3. However, I do think the idea of inclusivity is important. If they really want to run it up the flagpole then use it equally for all. 

1. That's not what it's for.

2. No more than talking about Mr and Mrs Claus does.

4. Inclusive means welcoming those who are excluded.

51 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. "We teach morality, health, civics and personal growth too.  Always have. "

I said they only teach one semester per year of religion.

Correct. They get one class for one semester per year of religion and it is not "morality, health, civics and personal growth".

2.You seem very pro LGTBQ flag flying in schools at any other group flag expense so, you answered little except defend that.

3. By saying the LGBTQ community needs help and schools fly their flag, you dismiss all other groups that have flags as not needing help. 

1. I don't get why you keep bringing up religion.  These topics are separate and taught in conjunction with topics such as history, English, current events...

2. There's no expense to highlight some aspect of society.  At whose expense is Christmas or St Patrick's Day?

3. I said above that we can commemorate other groups as we like.  I am a big fan of Remembrance Day for example.

11 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. I don't get why you keep bringing up religion.  These topics are separate and taught in conjunction with topics such as history, English, current events...

2. There's no expense to highlight some aspect of society.  At whose expense is Christmas or St Patrick's Day?

3. I said above that we can commemorate other groups as we like.  I am a big fan of Remembrance Day for example.

1. you brought up the "morality, health, civics and personal growth" in catholic schools. I mentioned religion because that is the only difference between catholic and other public schools.

2. My point exactly but, do we fly Christmas or Easter flags? A flag, seemingly there permanently, depicting a singular group is my issue.

3. Remembrance day does not have a flag that is flown and if there was, it would only be for the day, not continually. (although, my former crewmates that have died in military aircraft crashes are commemorated by me almost every day)

I agree with almost all of your points, pots]\st and discussions but you certainly baffle me (and others) on your take and vehement support of this. If you support this group, why not the truckers? They had and needed support too.

58 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. My point exactly but, do we fly Christmas or Easter flags? A flag, seemingly there permanently, depicting a singular group is my issue.

2. Remembrance day does not have a flag that is flown and if there was, it would only be for the day, not continually. (although, my former crewmates that have died in military aircraft crashes are commemorated by me almost every day)

3. I agree with almost all of your points, pots]\st and discussions but you certainly baffle me (and others) on your take and vehement support of this. If you support this group, why not the truckers? They had and needed support too.

1. 2. Is the fact that it's a FLAG the problem?  So if it was a banner it would be ok.  Christmas and Easter celebrate singular groups and maybe the fact that you don't see that says something about your approach to this question.

3. I support the Truckers in that I empathize with them, even if I don't agree with their aims.  Kind of like gay people.

I respect you as a poster, and in no way have I consciously tried to belittle you.  If you disagree, point out where and I will address it thanks.

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. 2. Is the fact that it's a FLAG the problem?  So if it was a banner it would be ok.  Christmas and Easter celebrate singular groups and maybe the fact that you don't see that says something about your approach to this question.

3. I support the Truckers in that I empathize with them, even if I don't agree with their aims.  Kind of like gay people.

I respect you as a poster, and in no way have I consciously tried to belittle you.  If you disagree, point out where and I will address it thanks.

1. Look Michael. Yes, a permanent flag is a problem. No, a banner would not be OK

Michael, the schools have not been able to decorate or celebrate Christmas or Easter or any religious activities for many years. The Catholic school system has legislative (maybe constitutional) right to remain a catholic school but quite restricted in activities. Like I said, only one class per year and only for one semester.

The schools need to remain totally neutral

I support anyone that wishes to protest. A flag celebrating a lifestyle, any lifestyle, religion or belief is not something that should be on school grounds.

I have pointed out where I disagree with you and this issue is one of them. So be it :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. That's not what it's for.

2. No more than talking about Mr and Mrs Claus does.

4. Inclusive means welcoming those who are excluded.

1. Your opinion only.

2. Mom and Dad were not sexual objects, when I was a kid.

4. So what is wrong with saying everybody then.

Better yet, say nothing at all.

Edited by OftenWrong

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

There's no expense to highlight some aspect of society.

It's not the governments place to moralize, or attempt to actively shape Canadian morals. They should provide the legislative framework, nothing more.

Otherwise, you run into a situation in democracy where each time a government flips, the new government imposes it's own vision of morality by reversing the other's trends, as we've seen in this country already. Look at Ontario.

The government has no business in the bedrooms of Canadians. Create the framework and set the standards for promoting true equality, and let the chips fall where they may.

Really, all the inequality we have seen in Canada's past is directly the fault of the government of Canada, not the citizens.

So get lost.

(not you...)

14 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

1. the schools have not been able to decorate or celebrate Christmas or Easter or any religious activities for many years. The Catholic school system has legislative (maybe constitutional) right to remain a catholic school but quite restricted in activities.

2. Like I said, only one class per year and only for one semester.

3. The schools need to remain totally neutral

4. I support anyone that wishes to protest.  A flag celebrating a lifestyle, any lifestyle, religion or belief is not something that should be on school grounds.

5. I have pointed out where I disagree with you and this issue is one of them. So be it :)

1. That's wrong.  Not sure where you are getting this.  I have family who work in the PUBLIC system and Christmas Parties, Christmas carols are all quite normal and enjoyed by all.  They might not sing 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman' but Santa and Rudolf are everywhere...
2. Are you talking about Religion class again ?  I don't know why you brought that up, still.  Of course the Catholic board can teach religion and reinforce homosexual acts as sinful, as they do with extramarital sex, abortion and so on.
3. Why ?  There's no reason why they can't express solidarity with kids who are born gay, to let them know that they will be accepted as who they are.  You need to explain in more detail if you need me to understand your objection.
4. That's very broad and there are probably countless counter-examples.  Does Remembrance Day celebrate the military lifestyle or contradict papal proclamations on peace ?  Some Christians decry Hallowe'en.  It's up to the schools what they want to set as a moral standard.
5. Ok