Another Mass Shooting

Guns banned during Trump’s address to the National Rifle Association

Today is the second day of the National Rifle Association’s (NRA) annual meeting, and weapons including firearms are prohibited while former president Donald Trump is speaking.

https://nationalpost.com/news/guns-banned-during-trumps-address-to-the-national-rifle-association

Edited by BeaverFever

2 hours ago, West said:

Probably not

Of course they could. There were plenty of people who knew this guy was unbalanced. A real background check would mean interviewing a few people who knew him. Do you do everything with your eyes closed, just relying on faith or something you read on the internet.

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Guns are for sale through organized crime in US, and Canada.

The only way it could work is if all guns in the US were confiscated, including the black market. I don’t see it as possible. There may not be a solution here, short term anyways.

Living in the Land of the Free comes with a price. 

The illegal guns for sale in Canada, come from the US.

I don't care if the Land of the Free pays a price, I do object to us paying a price for their lunacy.

BTW. If you have to carry a firearm for protection, you aren't really free.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aristides said:

BTW. If you have to carry a firearm for protection, you aren't really free.

There is no such free and perfect utopia. There's always some risk. That's why you gotta wear seat belts.

It's for your protection.

9 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Of course they could. There were plenty of people who knew this guy was unbalanced. A real background check would mean interviewing a few people who knew him. Do you do everything with your eyes closed, just relying on faith or something you read on the internet.

Well part of the issue is he disclosed oh Facebook ahead of time. They can report you and lock your account for questioning the liberal narrative on the vaccine but can't file a police report on a guy that is threatening to shoot kids?

Edited by West

46 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Guns banned during Trump’s address to the National Rifle Association

Today is the second day of the National Rifle Association’s (NRA) annual meeting, and weapons including firearms are prohibited while former president Donald Trump is speaking.

https://nationalpost.com/news/guns-banned-during-trumps-address-to-the-national-rifle-association

You mean no guns are allowed in the room while a former president of the United States is speaking?

What cowards, eh?

What about ammunition control?  How long would it take for America to run out of ammo?  Surely there'd only be a tiny handful of people with the smarts and capacity to make their own but I'm betting the the dent you'd put into the national supply would be huge.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

I dabble in rational thinking if that's what you mean, but only in my spare time.
Do you have a point to make at all?

Or maybe it's better not to.

;)

Implementing rational thinking is what counts.  I suspect the vast majority of conservatives know this but just don't give a shit.  You guys do partisanship like no others on the planet.

10 hours ago, traveler52 said:

Be that as it may.  A Universal Background Check would have prevented the shooter from obtaining his semi-automatic rifles on the same day as purchase, saving the lives of 21-People.

Actually, it wouldn't. You're wrong.

The reason I know that is using the Wikipedia definition for Universal Background Checks Texas already has them:

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/background-check-procedures-in-texas/

You can get around them by using a private dealer but the Texas shooter bought his guns from a public firearms dealer.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/25/texas-school-shooter-salvador-ramos-purchased-guns-legally/

Aristides may have a point that something more than an FBI NICS Instant background check might have helped but there was this:

Uvalde school district was part of AI program that rooted out potential mass killers and monitored social media for threats and potential shooters

But spell it out: do you really have improvements to existing laws that would have stopped this tragedy or do you just want to pretend you could grab all the guns and that would solve everything. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

There is no such free and perfect utopia. There's always some risk. That's why you gotta wear seat belts.

It's for your protection.

Being held hostage to your own fear is not freedom. Or does the idea of carrying a gun just give you a woody?

You wearing a seat belt doesn’t endanger someone else. Seatbelts don’t kill.

7 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Actually, it wouldn't. You're wrong.

The reason I know that is using the Wikipedia definition for Universal Background Checks Texas already has them:

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/background-check-procedures-in-texas/

You can get around them by using a private dealer but the Texas shooter bought his guns from a public firearms dealer.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/25/texas-school-shooter-salvador-ramos-purchased-guns-legally/

Aristides may have a point that something more than an FBI NICS Instant background check might have helped but there was this:

Uvalde school district was part of AI program that rooted out potential mass killers and monitored social media for threats and potential shooters

But spell it out: do you really have improvements to existing laws that would have stopped this tragedy or do you just want to pretendA  you could grab all the guns and that would solve everything. 

And Actually You Are WRONG.

A Universal Background check would take between 5 - 10-Days.  Schools would have closed for the Summer and the kids would still be alive.  Personally I favor a 10-Waiting Period along with proper training requiring a licence and proper registration.

• Thanks 1

As Marine Recruit, I was NOT allowed to even touch my drill rifle (an M-14) until I had gone through a day long class in proper weapons maintence.  I had to learn how breakdown my rifle (I still remember the serial as well).  

Before being allowed to fire a "Live Weapon", I had to go through a week of what was called "Snapping In".  Learning weapons safety and handling and hours of praticing the Standing, Sitting, Knelling and Prone firing position.

The second week was live fire.  Each day, for six days we had practice.....practice.....practice shooting.  With a P.M.I. (Primary Marksmanship Instructor) at our side, not to mention our Drill Instructor's.  On the last day we went for "Record Fire", or qualfication.  I scored 191 out of 250 to become a Sharpshooter (Anything over 200 was an Expert)

This kind of training each person who wants to own a firearm should through, and if you do not qualfiy you do not get to own a fireare.

An owner of firearm should have to a mandatory gunlock on his/her weapon and/or a gun safe.

No person under 21-should be allowed own a fire arm and all firearms should be licenced and registered.  

50 minutes ago, traveler52 said:

As Marine Recruit, I was NOT allowed to even touch my drill rifle (an M-14) until I had gone through a day long class in proper weapons maintence.  I had to learn how breakdown my rifle (I still remember the serial as well).  

Before being allowed to fire a "Live Weapon", I had to go through a week of what was called "Snapping In".  Learning weapons safety and handling and hours of praticing the Standing, Sitting, Knelling and Prone firing position.

The second week was live fire.  Each day, for six days we had practice.....practice.....practice shooting.  With a P.M.I. (Primary Marksmanship Instructor) at our side, not to mention our Drill Instructor's.  On the last day we went for "Record Fire", or qualfication.  I scored 191 out of 250 to become a Sharpshooter (Anything over 200 was an Expert)

This kind of training each person who wants to own a firearm should through, and if you do not qualfiy you do not get to own a fireare.

An owner of firearm should have to a mandatory gunlock on his/her weapon and/or a gun safe.

No person under 21-should be allowed own a fire arm and all firearms should be licenced and registered.  

Why? 

4 minutes ago, traveler52 said:

It's called proper training in the safe handling and operation of a live fire weapon.  That's why.

Evidently, depending on the chapter, that's what the NRA offers. Yet they get crapped on by leftists for political gain. 

I'm asking more about the registry. When we implemented that here, criminals predictably didn't register their guns. Expensive endeavor that would have no impact at this point

The psyche of the American people is very different to the rest of the world. It seems they’re prone to see bogeymen everywhere and always feel vulnerable. That explains their massive defense budget, never mind they’re the ones constantly engaging in wars of aggression.

If government needs an obscene defense budget, why wouldn’t Joe Blow need a gun?

• Haha 1