Another Mass Shooting

32 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

And yet locally made meth still exists.

Not sure if this is how it works in the real world. . . 

but in Breaking Bad they had to go to several stores to get enough drugs to make a batch. Because stores wouldn't sell them all at once. 

https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/sudafed#restrictions

In most states, Sudafed is available over the counter (OTC). However, some locations in the United States require a prescription. The states of Oregon and Mississippi, as well as some cities in Missouri and Tennessee, all require a prescription for Sudafed.

The reason for these prescription requirements is that PSE, the main ingredient in Sudafed, is used to make illegal methamphetamine. Also called crystal meth, methamphetamine is a highly addictive drug. These requirements help prevent people from buying Sudafed to make this drug.

Efforts to prevent people from using PSE to make methamphetamine also restrict the sale of Sudafed. A piece of legislation called the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act (CMEA) was passed in 2006. It requires you to present a photo ID to buy products that contain pseudoephedrine. It also limits the amount of these products you can buy.

6 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Glad I don't live in a country where I need a gun for personal safety. That is not a civilized country.

You sure you don't?

"Criminal gun violence has risen in Canada — and by a fairly significant margin, according to Statistics Canada."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fact-check-gun-violence-1.6166328

2 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

You sure you don't?

"Criminal gun violence has risen in Canada — and by a fairly significant margin, according to Statistics Canada."

It is the same argument between liberals and conservatives as the COVID issue.  Conservatives think the number of COVID deaths is inconsequential and liberals think the number of deaths was the worst international disaster in mankind's history.  Same with gun related deaths.  

Personally, I love the second amendment from a liberty standpoint.  But of course here where I live don't see there is a need for guns in particular.  I rarely even lock my door.  In fact buying a security system is simply a waste of money.  Violence in suburban Canadian locations is just practically non-existent.  And the same for minor crimes like B&Es.  

But I get the point.  The first thing the Kings of France did was outlaw weapons to their citizens.

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Well in Canada there are also restrictions on Hand Guns. But that's pie in the sky in the US. 

Not sure why one needs a military style rifle like the AR-15, but whatevs. The issue I'm more perplexed on is the ease at which an 18 year old was able to purchase such a weapon. Actually 2 of them with 400 rounds. 

When someone buy lots of fertilizer or too many drugs that could be used to make Meth, Red Flags are raised. Why not with Guns?

Yeah that would be a start. You might want to better define the specific types of mass shootings you're hoping to control though.

Solutions for gang bangers, might not work for terrorists and solutions for foreign terrorists or foreign import gun crime might not work for the sad sack teen with dead morality.

I think it's the latter you seem to be targeting with your solutions though so yeah, that would be a start. Adjusted age limits maybe. Better identification of problem actors. Better enforcement of existing laws. More responsible and better knowledge with problem drugs. Better ways of dealing with problem actors when identified. Stuff like that.

Gun crime from gangs, cartels, terrorists, criminal recidivists, and such would require different solutions.

Edited by Infidel Dog

On 5/26/2022 at 10:48 AM, Boges said:

How would you define an "Assault style rifle"

There's little reason for a private citizen to own a semi-automatic rifle like that. But that's my personal opinion. 

I come from the Canadian school of thought on this, that one should justify the needs for a weapon like this. It's laughable that it should be for hunting. 

The problem with weapons like this. Even if you want to have armed people everywhere with glocks, rugers etc, on person for protection. Someone rolls up with a weapon like this, they're immediately outgunned. 

Which is why no one stopped Mr. Ramos from slaughtering children until it was too late. 

The Rifle(s) purchased were an AR-15.  an Amalite Rifle model 15.  A semi-automatic weapon, the weapon would continue to fire until the magazine was emptied. 

The AR-15 is a Military Grade Assault Weapon.  Purchased by the shooter with no questions asked on his 18th. Birthday. 

A Universal Background, which takes several days, would have prevented the shooter from obtainibg those weapons on the same day .  Which would saved the lives 19-Children an 2-Adults.  

No needs to own such weapon, they are match rifles and they sure as hell ain't a hunting rifle.  

Mass Shootings are a uniquely American Event.  I do not for one second the mental illness crap.  The Orange Faced 5-Deferment Draft Dodging Coward Trump signed legislation giving access to firearms individual a history mental illness and individuals with a history of spousal abuse. 

This tragedy could have been easily avoided, except the ReThugs and love anything related to firearms.

Giving access to firearms to people mental illness was allowed the Traitor and his ReThug Cabal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/president-trump-made-it-easier-mentally-ill-get-guns-when-n1039301

Giving access assault weapons to with mental illness was done by ReThugs ;the Traitor.  Get off that hobby horse, it ain't rocking.

Edited by traveler52
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Why Uvalde Cops Were Too Cowardly to Charge a Mass Shooter

American police are taught first and foremost to fear for their own lives.

Angeli Rose Gomez told The Wall Street Journal that she drove 40 miles to the school, which her two children attended, and begged police on the scene to intervene. Instead, federal marshals arrested her for “intervening in an active investigation.” After talking some local cops into letting her out of the cuffs, watching a second parent get tackled by police, and a third get pepper-sprayed, she snuck around the crowd, sprinted into the school, and brought out her kids.

By and large, cops are taught to be in quaking terror at all times, to view the local citizenry as infested with violent criminals, and to prioritize their own safety above all else. The overwhelming focus is on threats to the police themselves, not the public. There is virtually no time spent on diplomacy, de-escalation, or remaining calm under fire. (Living in constant self-imposed fear is a big reason why police have killed 406 people so far this year, which is in line with the trend from previous years.)

This message is powerfully reinforced by Supreme Court precedent. As Ramenda Cyrus recently wrote for the Prospect, in the 2005 case Town of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, a woman sued the local police department for “failing to arrest her husband, who had violated a protective order, resulting in the murder of her three children.” In an opinion written by Antonin Scalia, the Court ruled against her, holding that police have no duty to protect the public unless they have specifically promised to in writing. That impossible standard is why a New York City man lost a lawsuit against the NYPD when an officer failed to help him while he grappled with a knife-wielding assailant. As Cyrus writes, “the police do not have to act if someone is actively being harmed, they do not have to arrest someone who has violated orders, and they do not have any obligation to protect you from others.”

There’s a word for someone who walks around terrified of dangers that are almost entirely imaginary, obsessively fixated on being ready to kill people who appear threatening—but only to reduce the risk to himself. The word is coward…

https://prospect.org/justice/why-uvalde-cops-were-too-cowardly-to-charge-a-mass-shooter/

A really interesting read at how policing in the USA has gone sideways in recent decades. As for the top policing trainer who promises cops across the country that “you will have the best sex you’ve ever had” after you kill another human being….that dude needs to go. But unfortunately in ‘Merka sociopaths like that are admired by a large chunk of the population 

Plus

"shots were “sporadic” for much of the 48 minutes when officers waited in the hallway, McCraw said. He said investigators do not know if or how many children died during that time."

"20 officers waited in the hallway for more than 45 minutes, authorities said Friday."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/police-waited-48-minutes-in-school-before-pursuing-shooter/ar-AAXMC1D?ocid=EMMX&cvid=1870713f635e4defa1072ff26c8622db

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

It's painfully obvious you can't separate a death from natural causes from murder, so why no legalize murder. 

Whatever Kool Aid you drink that makes you unable to know the difference.

I wasn't comparing the deaths types...I was comparing the silliness of both statements. Gee...I'd thought that would have been obvious. Guess not...

I have a thing for the green Kool Aid. You?

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

And? You want to sell meth in Walmart as well?

OK...apparently I have to explain the obvious to you yet again...

We can "flag" as much as we like. The meth...as well as the guns...will still be in circulation.

I have never understood why Americans, of all people, would call for gun bans and such. Don't they realize the mountain they'd have to climb to enact such a thing? Its friggin' America for Gawd's sake! The only way you'll get the gun lobby and the citizens to willingly accept restrictions, is if you first go after the ILLEGAL guns and those who wave them around, PLUS make a token effort to address this...mental illness thing...which will in all likelihood be rather fruitless. Its called COMPROMISE. It used to be a well known and essential component of politics. But alas...along came the reactionaries et voila...political diplomacy took a nosedive. You can thank ass holes like Don LeMon for that.

Were whatever is left of the rational Democrats to propose something that was a compromise to both sides...I bet it would pass. Oh there'd be opposition, of course. But the likes of AOC and Marjorie Taylor Greene can learn to suck it up...for the country's sake.

19 minutes ago, traveler52 said:

No needs to own such weapon, they are match rifles and they sure as hell ain't a hunting rifle. 

I don't know about that:

However, in truth, AR-­15s and so-­called “black rifles” are used in self-­defense by a would-­be victim more often than you’d think.

A notable, and possibly the most heroic example of a good guy using an AR-­15 to save lives, is the case of Stephen Willeford. You might recall seeing the tragedy of the attack on a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, on November 5, 2017. What you may not have heard was that Willeford confronted and wounded the assailant. The active shooter was prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law, but he opened fire on the parishioners of a small church, taking 26 lives and leaving 20 wounded. Alerted to the shooting in progress, Willeford grabbed an AR-­15 and ran out the door of his home barefoot, all while loading rounds into a magazine as he went. He engaged the shooter and forced him to turn his violence away from the church. Willeford then managed to flag down a passing vehicle, and together the two men risked their lives in pursuit of the murderer. Willeford hit the shooter twice and wounded him severely. Bleeding and likely dying, the shooter took his own life. Willeford, an NRA-­certified firearms instructor is regarded as a hero, though the mainstream media did not show him, nor his rifle, the respect that his actions warranted. “He had an AR-­15, but so did I,” Willeford said.

More stories like this at link

As to your belief mass shootings only happen in America you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Try this one.

Try this one:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/aug/29/john-lott-jr-adam-lankford-botched-study-claiming-/

You need a rethink on your idea mental illness is not a factor too.

Go ahead though, prove it. Show me the mass shooter of schools that didn't have mental problems.

As to the bill Trump signed, I believe it was this one:

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Why? Is that a big problem in your world? The elderly scooting around in their electronic scooters perpetrating mass shoot em' ups?

I'm still curious about something though, Traveler.

You seem to want to be presenting yourself as the man with the plan though, so I'll ask you.

How were you planning to grab Americans' 20 million AR-style weapons if they're the problem?

Edited by Infidel Dog

Here's another one for the gun grabbers that never get to hear anything outside the Progressive MSM narrative.

Woman with Pistol Stops Man Firing at Graduation Party Crowd with AR-15

An alleged attacker with an AR-15 was shot dead in Charleston, West Virginia, Wednesday night by a woman who was carrying a pistol for self-defense.

Dennis Butler was armed with an AR-15 and allegedly shot “at dozens of people attending a graduation party,” WCHSTV reported.

Police indicate a woman pulled a pistol and shot Butler, killing him.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/05/27/alleged-attacker-with-an-ar-15-shot-dead-by-woman-with-pistol/

This happens a lot more than you think. Quite often they don't even have to shoot, just pull their firearm to show the perp it's not going to be easy.

3 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

You sure you don't?

Not unless you’re a criminal who thinks they need to protect themselves from other criminals. 

Don’t join a street gang in Canada and you wont need a gun for protection. Also the criminals who do have guns stills get killed so it’s questionable how much protection you have. Gun worshipers seem to forget that having a gun doesn’t make you bulletproof. 

Edited by BeaverFever

5 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

Pfft. I guess you don’t know what the word totalitarian means. Must be cuz of your shitty school system that’s lagged most developed countries for 3 decades now

How is it so many are worried about guns when a diapered senile old man has nuclear codes?

• Like 1

If gun laws don’t prevent shootings then how come this killer had waited until they day after he could legally buy a gun in order to get one?  He bought the first AR-15 on May17th, the day after his 18th birthday amd then hundreds of rounds of ammo the day after that. The second one just a few days later on May 20 before his killing spree on May 24. So all within the span of a week but cooling off periods and waiting periods don’t work either eh?

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

They have chosen junk food information for their knowledge diet.

Was it a conscious decision, or driven by other factors like greed for media air time. 

Dumbing down the news, and entertainment in general, gives it a much wider appeal. More ad money. Competition for viewership becomes a race for the bottom. Because dipsticks outnumber intelligent people. 

By about 4:1 I would estimate. ;) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boges said:

You'd hope someone's head will roll over this. 

This flies completely in the face of the whole Good Guy with a Gun Narrative. 

You’ve expressed your angst over the good guy with a gun narrative a number of times now, as if this is a systemic problem.

Expect to hear you calling for defunding the police soon.

7 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

If gun laws don’t prevent shootings then how come this killer had waited until they day after he could legally buy a gun in order to get one? 

Didn't have the connections our Canadian serial killers have, I guess.

Gabriel Wortman, the murder spree dentist of Nova scotia and the Danforth mass shooter of Toronto both used illegal guns.

But somehow, all three of them found a way to do mass murders.

5 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Didn't have the connections our Canadian serial killers have, I guess.

Gabriel Wortman, the murder spree dentist of Nova scotia and the Danforth mass shooter of Toronto both used illegal guns.

But somehow, all three of them found a way to do mass murders.

Illegal guns smuggled in from USA where the gun laws are weak. Don’t you get it???

And in other words you admit gun control works then. Imagine if assault rifles had been completely illegal he wouldn’t have had any. 

Edited by BeaverFever

5 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

There was a suicide by cop thing in the Scarborough district of Toronto a few days ago.

Apparently some guy was luring cops by patrolling around schools with some sort of AR-style pellet gun or something.

Twisted minds will find twisted ways to do twisted things.

Did he execute 19 schoolchildren  with that pellet gun while police stood by because were afraid to engage him given the firepower he was carrying? No?  Imagine that. 

17 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

You sure you don't?

Mostly gang bangers using guns brought in illegally from the US. I’m not in favour of bans but do support restrictions. I think our existing laws area reasonable compromise but I would certainly oppose weakening them.