Another Mass Shooting

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I saw that.  Restrictions were loosened, is the point.

Yes on handguns. In Texas. The article I posted tells us Federal background check laws can be adjusted by the state.

Texas did that. 

New York and California didn't. They still have mass shootings. Don't you want to save them too? Go ahead then. You've saved Texas XpJwS5u.png. Now save New York and California. Tell us how you're going to do that.

Edited by Infidel Dog
  • Like 1

But basically you seem to be telling us now, the problem isn't that there aren't existing laws but they aren't enforced properly. 

Believe it or not you could maybe talk me into that.

Just can what sounds like the hysterical gun grabbing crap.

Edited by Infidel Dog

27 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Yes on handguns. In Texas. The article I posted tells us Federal background check laws can be adjusted by the state.

Texas did that. 

New York and California didn't. They still have mass shootings. Don't you want to save them too? Go ahead then. You've saved Texas XpJwS5u.png. Now save New York and California. Tell us how you're going to do that.

Ok, today I learned something.

Still, undemocratic changes to gun laws were enacted admittedly with no bearing on recent events.

46 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

So you link me to your article and tell me to read mine? That's a little confusing.

But yeah in my article where I told you there were some ideas on how you could fix the existing background checks it said this:

So is that it then? Have you saved America now by fixing that problem with existing background checks?

Background checks which are pretty useless. This guy had no record of mental illness but plenty of evidence he was mentally ill that could only have  been found by interviewing people who knew him. There is no way that could be done in three days. Any regulations that do exist have been watered down to make them almost useless, which is perfectly fine with you. This guy was able to buy 2 AR-15's legally a couple of days before the shooting. 

" plenty of evidence he was mentally ill"

So we agree on that.

But you still think the problem was the gun, right?

Fine. Tell me exactly how you're going to fix the problem by simply dealing with the guns.

What specifically do you want to do? And remember the problem doesn't just exist in Texas. Go ahead. Give us the solution. How exactly are you going to save America?

20 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

" plenty of evidence he was mentally ill"

So we agree on that.

But you still think the problem was the gun, right?

Fine. Tell me exactly how you're going to fix the problem by simply dealing with the guns.

What specifically do you want to do? And remember the problem doesn't just exist in Texas. Go ahead. Give us the solution. How exactly are you going to save America?

No, I don't think the problem is the gun. The problem is the people who think dead school kids are acceptable collateral damage to justify doing nothing concrete to make sure the wrong people don't get guns. It amazes me that NRA bought politicians can sleep at night. If they are really worried about mental illness they should be seeing shrinks themselves because their illness is criminal.

As far as solutions go, background checks that are more than window dressing would be a good place to start.

But as far as the gun goes, no one needs guns like AR-15's, they are just substitutes for a short dick. Anyone who needs a semi auto to hunt shouldn't be hunting in the first place because they can't shoot straight. Separate the real men from the posers by using muzzle loaders to hunt like the people who wrote the constitution in the first place. 

As far as saving America goes, I've come to the conclusion it is beyond saving and it is high time to worry about ourselves.

Edited by Aristides

What really rubs me is people like Abbott who has passed 22 bills that a make firearms easier to get in Texas and supporters of this kind of legislation have the balls to call pro choice people baby killers. No one choses to have their kid gunned down in their school. What a pathetic bunch of pricks.

3 hours ago, Aristides said:

What really rubs me is people like Abbott who has passed 22 bills that a make firearms easier to get in Texas and supporters of this kind of legislation have the balls to call pro choice people baby killers. No one choses to have their kid gunned down in their school.

What bearing does that have on this case? Do you think regulating guns would stop this person? Clearly he was mentally ill and wanted to die and kill in the most shocking and horrific fashion, knowing full well the impact it would have and the use of readily available media.

So that you people can get some kind of sick catharsis from knowing all the minutia of these events. Exactly what the psycho wants, and you all fell for it. Hook, line and sinker.

That’s why I say, you want to do something for real about it?

Ban the goddam internet

36 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

What bearing does that have on this case? Do you think regulating guns would stop this person? Clearly he was mentally ill and wanted to die and kill in the most shocking and horrific fashion, knowing full well the impact it would have and the use of readily available media.

So that you people can get some kind of sick catharsis from knowing all the minutia of these events. Exactly what the psycho wants, and you all fell for it. Hook, line and sinker.

That’s why I say, you want to do something for real about it?

Ban the goddam internet

When in doubt let the crazy guy buy a gun.

15 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

BTW Aristides, can we put you on record as saying you're fine with gun ownership now as long as there are background checks?

If not, why not?

Can you say that you're fine with an 18-year-old buying an assault rifle online, no questions asked? 

There's no other developed nation that allows such things. And we see how many people die of guns in the US. 

Price of Freedom right? 

Say Their Name:

Alexandria Aniyah Rubio, 10 -Say Her Name.

Alithia Ramirez, 10- Say Her Name.

Amerie Jo Garza, 10 - Say Her Name.

Annabell Guadalupe Rodriguez, 10 - Say Her Name.

Eliahana Cruz Torres, 10 - Say Her Name.

Eliana “Ellie” Garcia, 9 - Say Her Name.

Eva Mireles, 44 - Say Her Name.

Irma Garcia - Say Her Name.

Jackie Cazares, 10 - Say Her Name.

Jailah Nicole Silguero, 10 - Say Her Name.

Jayce Luevanos, 10 - Say His Name.

Jose Flores, 10 -Say His Name.

Layla Salazar, 10 - Say Her Name.

Makenna Lee Elrod, 10 - Say Her Name.

Maite Rodriguez - Say Her Name.

Miranda Mathis, 11 - Say Her Name.

Nevaeh Bravo - Say Her Name.

Rojelio Torres, 10 - Say HIs Name.

Tess Marie Mata - Say Her Name.

Uziyah Garcia, 8 - Say His Name.

Xavier Lopez, 10 - Say His Name.

Precious Lives Wiped Out.

Say Their Name.

Love Them.

Say Their Name.

• Sad 1

I hope you virtue signallers get your emotional purging with more soothing words and empty gestures. Let’s all do the group hug thing. There there.

And now the bickering over what to do. Bills proposed, counter-bills produced, bills shot down. Complete deadlock.

Western politics, full of sound and fury. A wonderous thing to behold.

Demockracy

11 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I hope you virtue signallers get your emotional purging with more soothing words and empty gestures. Let’s all do the group hug thing. There there.

And now the bickering over what to do. Bills proposed, counter-bills produced, bills shot down. Complete deadlock.

Demockracy

Well at least Canada doesn't have the Filibuster. 

BTW so much for that Good Guy with a Gun argument. 

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

UVALDE, Texas (AP) — Frustrated onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman’s rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, witnesses said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a Border Patrol team.

“Go in there! Go in there!” nearby women shouted at the officers soon after the attack began, said Juan Carranza, 24, who saw the scene from outside his house, across the street from Robb Elementary School in the close-knit town of Uvalde. Carranza said the officers did not go in.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Boges said:

Can you say that you're fine with an 18-year-old buying an assault rifle online, no questions asked? 

That's a more complicated question than you suggest.

First of all, define your terms. What's an "assault rifle." Do you mean a rifle with an appearance that frightens you? Or do you mean, "a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine."

Why are you talking exclusively about "an 18 year old buying an assault rifle online?" You seem to be inferring that's what the Texas shooter did. He didn't. 

https://nypost.com/2022/05/25/how-texas-shooter-salvador-ramos-bought-guns-hatched-sinister-plans/

Then you put the restriction on it that there must be no restrictions.

Lose all the emotionally charged language and try again if you want an honest, rationally determined answer.

As it is I don't get the impression that's what you were looking for and hysterical hype doesn't interest me.

Edited by Infidel Dog

3 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

First of all, define your terms. What's an "assault rifle." Do you mean a rifle with an appearance that frightens you? Or do you mean, "a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine."

Why are you talking exclusively about "an 18 year old buying an assault rifle online?" You seem to be inferring that's what the Texas shooter did. He didn't. 

https://nypost.com/2022/05/25/how-texas-shooter-salvador-ramos-bought-guns-hatched-sinister-plans/

Lose all the emotionally charged language and try again if you want an honest, rationally determined answer.

As it is I don't get the impression that's what you were looking for and hysterical hype doesn't interest me.

It isn't complicated at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Demockracy

Certainly a truly wondrous thing to the families of all those dead kids.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Lose all the emotionally charged language and try again if you want an honest answer.

How would you define an "Assault style rifle"

There's little reason for a private citizen to own a semi-automatic rifle like that. But that's my personal opinion. 

I come from the Canadian school of thought on this, that one should justify the needs for a weapon like this. It's laughable that it should be for hunting. 

The problem with weapons like this. Even if you want to have armed people everywhere with glocks, rugers etc, on person for protection. Someone rolls up with a weapon like this, they're immediately outgunned. 

Which is why no one stopped Mr. Ramos from slaughtering children until it was too late. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aristides said:

All countries have plenty of mentally ill people including ours but only in the US are they walking into schools and mowing down kids on a regular basis. Why might that be?

Well, there is another possibly determining factor here.

Drugs:

Could SSRI Antidepressants Be One of the Causes Behind These Mass Shootings?

Tucker Carlson: Following Texas school shooting and Buffalo tragedy, leaders should ask this question

A frightening paper examining the role of antidepressant-induced homicide & suicide. This is a call to action for every medical professional to understand these risks & for all politicians & law enforcement to investigate role of ADP in mass shootings.

And another possible influencer in the recent flux of incidents may be social isolation out of the pandemic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Drugs:

Tucker Carlson: Following Texas school shooting and Buffalo tragedy, leaders should ask this question

And another possible influencer in the recent flux of incidents may be social isolation out of the pandemic.

You're grasping at straws. 

Poor mental health amongst teenagers is nothing new. 

But regular school shootings are. 

Europe and Canada had much more stringent COVID restriction. I don't see people resorting to large scale murder in any other Western Democracy. 

We've had mass shootings/killings, but they are much rarer. The worst being a guy who used a Rental Van. I don't recall a single mass murder incident in Canada since the beginning of the Pandemic. 

Edited by Boges

2 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Drugs:

Could be. Might be. Anything but the obvious.

Both Gendron and Ramos were very obviously mentally ill. The people around them knew that. Both killers had told other people they planned to commit a mass shooting and then they did. So, what can we learn from this? Well, the first most obvious answer is that the system in place didn't work. Gendron's teacher sent him to a mental hospital for evaluation. They knew he was a threat. 

Yet they were still allowed to legally buy guns.

So why isn't this happening in other countries, the pandemic was world wide? 

5 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Drugs:

People in other countries have antidepressants and pandemic isolation. In fact more social isolation than a place like Texas with fewer lockdowns and pandemic  restrictions. More distractive nonsense from Tucker “Putin Propagandist” Carlson.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

There's little reason for a private citizen to own a semi-automatic rifle like that. But that's my personal opinion. 

I come from the Canadian school of thought on this, that one should justify the needs for a weapon like this. It's laughable that it should be for hunting. 

Not for hunting, or at least not just for hunting.

I'm a Canadian who's lived in the country. You don't just want a gun to hunt with. There's the self-protection element when you're an hour or more away from police.

If I was an American it wouldn't just be isolation that would inspire that reaction.

Then there's the idea gun ownership slows the Government's urge to totalitarian authoritarianism. In America, yeah, I could see that as a concern. Here too, but Trudeau-style authoritarians are controlled by an ever-present American line as to what they'll tolerate.

Just now, Boges said:

You're grasping at straws. 

Poor mental health amongst teenagers is nothing new. 

But regular school shootings are. 

Europe and Canada had much more stringent COVID restriction. I don't see people resorting to large scale murder in any other Western Democracy. 

We've had mass shootings/killings, but they are much rarer. The worst being a guy who used a Rental Van. 

The last mass shooting we had was Portapique. Three of the four guns used were obtained in the US. All restricted firearms in Canada.

The UK's last mass school shooting was Dunblane in 1996 after which major changes were made to firearms regulations.

The last Australian mass shooting was Port Arthur in 1996 after which major changes were made to firearms regulations.

The Christchurch mosque shooting was committed by an Australian because he couldn't obtain those weapons in Australia. After which New Zealand made major changes to their firearms regulations.

How many mass school shootings have there been in the US since 1996?

• Thanks 1