Corruption.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:49 AM, eyeball said:

I seriously doubt that many of those who believe nothing can be done actually want it to stop because of their sense that money laundering and snow washing is such an important Golden Goose in our economy. 

Does it make sense to you that people are more worried about Fentanyl deaths, which outnumber covid deaths? 

Does it make sense to you that people are more worried about the rampant corruption and fascist actions of our federal gov't?

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Well, when I stand against them I'm regarded by you people as a commie. Of course if I don't stand against them I'd be a Nazi I guess.

I'm just going to go with the flow. Maybe I'll borrow a page from the cis people and be a they.

Let me guess, that still makes me a commie?

When you stand against them? When might that be?

How do you feel about the leaking of SCOTUS business?  How do you feel about DOXing SCOTUS judges? How about vax mandates? Or truth commissions?

2 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Does it make sense to you that people are more worried about Fentanyl deaths, which outnumber covid deaths? 

I don't believe that's the case and if it was it still wouldn't make sense given the public should know by now that the drugs containing fentanyl could have been legalized and produced and sold safely without fentanyl and have saved thousands upon thousands of lives.  People should be more worried about why this didn't happen 20 years ago. 

Does it make sense to you that people are more worried about the rampant corruption and fascist actions of our federal gov't?

No, I think there's only a small handful of loons who worry about our federal government being fascist.

As for corruption, I do think most Canadians are disturbed by it but I'm also convinced a fairly significant and growing number of Canadians are increasingly okay with it.  I recall the advice I've been given before when my heart was bleeding over some silly thing or another to grow up and stop being so naive - it's just the natural order of things.

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

When you stand against them? When might that be?

You'd never know a little commie like me operated my very own corporation for some 15 years once upon a time. Government mismanagement and the concentration of opportunity into the jaws of corporations much bigger than mine almost turned me into a terrorist to boot.  I became quite activist to the point of even illegally occupying a federal building and disobeying the law.

I fought back, lost, survived, things changed and now I'm steaming ahead again in a new direction with fair winds and following seas.  But as any mariner worth his salt knows following seas can be deceptive and the most dangerous. I suspect the benefits of corporate and government corruption are trickling down and enriching my real estate's value and it makes me leery.

I'm nervous that having to turn into the wind and seas again will also mean sailing off into uncharted waters.

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

You'd never know a little commie like me operated my very own corporation for some 15 years once upon a time. Government mismanagement and the concentration of opportunity into the jaws of corporations much bigger than mine almost turned me into a terrorist to boot.  I became quite activist to the point of even illegally occupying a federal building and disobeying the law.

I fought back, lost, survived, things changed and now I'm steaming ahead again in a new direction with fair winds and following seas.  But as any mariner worth his salt knows following seas can be deceptive and the most dangerous. I suspect the benefits of corporate and government corruption are trickling down and enriching my real estate's value and it makes me leery.

I'm nervous that having to turn into the wind and seas again will also mean sailing off into uncharted waters.

I've gone back and read some of your other posts. You got bit by globalization and came out the other end ready to do whatever is the path of least resistance? 

You see the corruption and in the end your position is to go along for the ride. Globalization bit me too. But my solution was to oppose it. 

If you dont rock the boat once in a while, the captain gets complacent and will start doing stupid things.

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I've gone back and read some of your other posts. You got bit by globalization and came out the other end ready to do whatever is the path of least resistance? 

You see the corruption and in the end your position is to go along for the ride. Globalization bit me too. But my solution was to oppose it. 

If you dont rock the boat once in a while, the captain gets complacent and will start doing stupid things.

Clearly the purpose of being facetiousness eludes you.

I'm always amazed at how easily your biases can be confirmed. You'll believe anything that does.

You figure sneering at Trudeau and throwing terms like Nazi around him is resisting? You're only insuring his re-election.

Edited by eyeball
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Clearly the purpose of being facetiousness eludes you.

I'm always amazed at how easily your biases can be confirmed. You'll believe anything that does.

You figure sneering at Trudeau and throwing terms like Nazi around him is resisting? You're only insuring his re-election.

I've never called Pixey-Dust a Nazi. He's not that intelligent.

48 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Some people take the bait sooooo easily.  For example, Trudeau is NOT woke.  He says he is woke but how many woke people have done blackface three times ?  Only one.  Our beloved PM.

And yet, the #1 group of people who DEEPLY BELIEVE that Trudeau is woke is the New Fake Conservatives on here....

Bait.  Taken.  Hook.  Bare.  (That's as far as I can go with a fishing analogy for a fisherman)

As for Globalization.  I don't know that resisting it makes much more sense than resisting interracial marriage.  I would submit that I was probably hit harder than anybody by Globalization in the moment but we adapted.

22 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I've never called Pixey-Dust a Nazi. He's not that intelligent.

Do you think its intelligent to call him that or imply he's a dictator on par with Hitler or as you now seem to be implying even worse?

You certainly hang with a bunch of people who think this is appropriate and you know how it goes these days, if you're not seen as being opposed to something you're clearly with them.  I mean you do believe I'm practically in love with him don't you?

27 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Some people take the bait sooooo easily.  For example, Trudeau is NOT woke.  He says he is woke but how many woke people have done blackface three times ?  Only one.  Our beloved PM.

And yet, the #1 group of people who DEEPLY BELIEVE that Trudeau is woke is the New Fake Conservatives on here....

Bait.  Taken.  Hook.  Bare.  (That's as far as I can go with a fishing analogy for a fisherman)

Well, when you fish with a bare hook you attach it to a lure and in the case of fishing with bait you attach it to a bare hook, or put it in a trap.

The goal is still same.

As for Globalization.  I don't know that resisting it makes much more sense than resisting interracial marriage.  I would submit that I was probably hit harder than anybody by Globalization in the moment but we adapted.

I get a similar sense about resisting or adapting to corruption - Is the man too big, is the man too strong?  I'm certainly struck by how small and weak many of my fellow Canadians are in the face of corruption.  I think that's what made globalization so hard to adapt to.

Edited by eyeball

11 minutes ago, eyeball said:

1. Well, when you fish with a bare hook you attach it to a lure and in the case of fishing with bait you attach it to a bare hook, or put it in a trap. The goal is still same.

2. I get a similar sense about resisting or adapting to corruption - Is the man too big, is the man too strong?  I'm certainly struck by how small and weak many of my fellow Canadians are in the face of corruption.  I think that's what made globalization so hard to adapt to.

1. Bafflegab.
2. There is more good news than bad.  But it could be so much better than it is.  I eventually adapted, and manufacturing workers did.  I don't want to pump sunshine too much about the disruption of trade channel redesign but people do adapt and the new way is more stable  And they didn't do enough to help people adapt either.  Our GDP is 2X bigger than in 1970 in real terms and so where are the benefits that we were promised ?  That's the bottom line - whether or not global trade makes more sense or not.  Why do the masters reap more than 2X the rewards?

I mean come on, do you really think Justin does not bring on ANY sneering by himself? We still have freedom of speech in Canada. Are you afraid that those liberals that are in the center and might have crossed party lines are going to get pissed off and throw their support back at Justin? 

I think PP has already done that, and whoever is left is voting because they can't stand what Justin is doing to the country...but i doubt that support is going to go to PP. more like Justin's brother the NDP.

Do you think its intelligent to call him that or imply he's a dictator on par with Hitler or as you now seem to be implying even worse?

You certainly hang with a bunch of people who think this is appropriate and you know how it goes these days, if you're not seen as being opposed to something you're clearly with them.  I mean you do believe I'm practically in love with him don't you?

Do I think its "intelligent"? No. I think its well deserved.

The people I hang out with hear me call Li'l Justin "Pixey-Dust" all the time. They think its funny and appropriate...sadly.

I don't "believe" much of what you say anymore. You've given in to the path of smooth sailing. Or so you claim.

Edited by Nationalist

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Our GDP is 2X bigger than in 1970 in real terms and so where are the benefits that we were promised ?  That's the bottom line - whether or not global trade makes more sense or not.  Why do the masters reap more than 2X the rewards?

A result of their right to free speech behind closed doors would be my guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I mean come on, do you really think Justin does not bring on ANY sneering by himself? We still have freedom of speech in Canada. Are you afraid that those liberals that are in the center and might have crossed party lines are going to get pissed off and throw their support back at Justin?

Especially if Poilievre promises "hey we're going to do something to fix the housing crunch in Canada by cracking down and getting tough on money laundering. This will have the effect of cutting property values by as much as up to half their current inflated values and restore affordability to ordinary Canadians." Trudeau would probably win by the biggest landslide in Canadian history.

Of course Justin Trudeau brings on lots of sneering, he's the perfect lightning rod for distracting Canadians from what's really important in the scheme of things.  But what so many people, and conservatives especially, always seem to miss is that the sneering is based on such ridiculous premises, that he's the next Fuhrer etc, that it acts more against the people throwing it at him.

If there is an elite that's sitting back while their useful "idiot" keeps the more ridiculous voices in the opposition's base front and center, that elite is laughing all the way to the laundromat bank.

• Thanks 1

Justin must be a genius then, because he has distracted Canadians for 8 years now and not tackled one important issue..... Canadians either don't care about what is important in this nation, or too busy to take the time to understand those issues...

Give me a break, It's not about health care, long-term care homes, Education, our security apparatus, getting any resources to market, or climate change Did I miss any important issues?

Call Justin a few names may be immature, but keeping Justin in office that's a stretch, Canadians want pray for a government that will take some action on any important issue, and if they put Justin back in office for a 4 th time, so be it, it will be the government we deserve want. 

Conservatives are not going to attract the liberal center enough to make numbers really matter, that was proven in the last election... Canadians will one day wake up and choose change, is that next election, not looking good right now is it... and stopping name-calling is not going to change any of that..

Edited by Army Guy
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 3:47 PM, eyeball said:

Especially if Poilievre promises "hey we're going to do something to fix the housing crunch in Canada by cracking down and getting tough on money laundering. This will have the effect of cutting property values by as much as up to half their current inflated values and restore affordability to ordinary Canadians." Trudeau would probably win by the biggest landslide in Canadian history.

Of course Justin Trudeau brings on lots of sneering, he's the perfect lightning rod for distracting Canadians from what's really important in the scheme of things.  But what so many people, and conservatives especially, always seem to miss is that the sneering is based on such ridiculous premises, that he's the next Fuhrer etc, that it acts more against the people throwing it at him.

If there is an elite that's sitting back while their useful "idiot" keeps the more ridiculous voices in the opposition's base front and center, that elite is laughing all the way to the laundromat bank.

There is plenty to be criticized without invoking Hitler. But if that is what you people consider to be the main voice against our PM...

fill one’s boots  :ph34r:

Edited by OftenWrong

Naturally you and I are only allowed to consume the media that big-power will allow. 

If they want to promote Liberal, it’s just a matter of not giving the other side a rational voice. Only show them as nutjobs. Crazy, irrational. Dangerous.

My opinion: If you believe in this system,

you people are all being duped.

35 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

There is plenty to be criticized without invoking Hitler. But if that is what you people consider to be the main voice against our PM...

fill one’s boots  :ph34r:

Yeah whatever you say Doctor Projection. Look in a mirror much?

Harper scandal, Mike Duffy. On the front page for 3 yrs. Had people believing something evil had happened. LOL What a joke that was. Trudeau scandals, where do you start.

On 5/11/2022 at 7:45 PM, PIK said:

Harper scandal, Mike Duffy. On the front page for 3 yrs. Had people believing something evil had happened. LOL What a joke that was. Trudeau scandals, where do you start.

Yup. As I noted, Conservatives absolutely suck at corruption, from every angle: both at seemingly making anything stick to Liberals and getting away with it themselves.  They're certainly no better at preventing it otherwise Harper's much vaunted Accountability Act would have prevented the SNC Lavalin affair the We Charity scandal and maybe even some of the widespread snow-washing of criminal money that's reported to have increased under Trudeau's government.

As for the NDP...the reply I got from my NDP representative about my concerns with snow-washing were not about snow-washing at all.  I received an automated reply thanking me for the letter that must have been triggered by my inclusion of the word oligarch in it.  The reply, a rather long winded one, had lots to say about the war in Ukraine and our sanctions against Russia but not a single word on money laundering.

I don't think I ever recall a topic/issue/scandal so universally politically verboten in Canada's history, notwithstanding Canada's 1st Nations of course.

My conviction that doing anything serious about corruption would destroy our economy even faster than taking action against climate change is growing. This is in addition to my sense that despite evidence suggesting Canadians do care about corruption and taking action against it, our representatives, our government and growing numbers of us are privately harbouring a belief that we should be very careful what we wish for.

We seem to know full well that corruption is not just the grease that keeps the wheel turning - its become the wheel itself. 

Edited by eyeball