Corruption.

Most say Canada has a money laundering problem; half believe country doesn’t have power to stop it.

https://angusreid.org/international-anti-corruption-court-money-laundering-canada/

I seriously doubt that many of those who believe nothing can be done actually want it to stop because of their sense that money laundering and snow washing is such an important Golden Goose in our economy.  Saying nothing can be done is perhaps the biggest step down the path towards doing nothing. It's worked like a charm to deter taking action against climate change. 

I'm pretty sure that corruption is unsustainable and ultimately self-defeating and self-destructive but given the everlasting capacity of venality to persist I have to allow for the possibility it really is the only path forward and that as a venal nation in a venal world we really only have one choice.  Embracing it.  Sure we can keep up the pretenses and leave the politicians to polishing their halos and make soothing noises on the global cat-walk but deep down in our hearts Canadians know what the real wealth of our nation has been predicated on.

We didn't really build as much of that as we like to believe.

43 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm pretty sure that corruption is unsustainable and ultimately self-defeating and self-destructive but given the everlasting capacity of venality to persist I have to allow for the possibility it really is the only path forward and that as a venal nation in a venal world we really only have one choice.  Embracing it.

In short you are absolutely sure it is not self defeating and is here to stay. 

See how many words I cut off your wording to say exactly the same thing?

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I also notice it avoids the topic. Thanks for proving my point.

If you start a sentence with one statement and finish it with the denial of the same statement you had no topic to begin with.  OK , let's stay on topic.

Now that you have decided we need to embrace corruption because as you rightly pointed out it is pervasive in all societies and times, what is your next statement going to be?

Edited by cougar

2 minutes ago, cougar said:

If you start a sentence with one statement and finish it with the denial of the same statement you had no topic to begin with.  OK , let's stay on topic.

Now that you have decided we need to embrace corruption because as you rightly pointed out it is pervasive in all societies and times, what is your next statement going to be?

That you really don't understand what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, Shady said:

Aren’t there already laws against corruption?  Some people are caught, some aren’t.  I still haven’t heard of any workable solution.

The laws only serve as a check to ensure you don't say too much if in a place of power... if you do that's when the laws are enforced 

We have corruption laws. The RCMP knows Trudeau is corrupt, but has decided to do nothing in order to preserve the government.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/michael-taube-trudeau-may-have-avoided-an-rcmp-fraud-charge-but-conservatives-should-not-let-him-off-the-hook/ar-AAWHXwo

Makes me wonder if a conservative would get such light treatment. 

Is this anything like climate change?  In short..."No".

13 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

We have corruption laws. The RCMP knows Trudeau is corrupt, but has decided to do nothing in order to preserve the government.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/michael-taube-trudeau-may-have-avoided-an-rcmp-fraud-charge-but-conservatives-should-not-let-him-off-the-hook/ar-AAWHXwo

Makes me wonder if a conservative would get such light treatment. 

Is this anything like climate change?  In short..."No".

Yes, we have corruption laws, as we have many other laws but, conviction is solely on the burden of proof beyond a reasonable and sometimes  a shadow of doubt.

Even in your article link the issue was "lack of clarity over the rules pertaining to accepting gifts as a public official served as an escape hatch." Great headline but in reality, the RCMP could not lay charges that would stick.

Now, corruption is real but only if caught and proven. Too many loopholes and lack of evidence to convict most of the time. We have "crime lords" that are generational that are in business because of lack of proof of the crimes and the corruption to keep them in business.

34 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Yes, we have corruption laws, as we have many other laws but, conviction is solely on the burden of proof beyond a reasonable and sometimes  a shadow of doubt.

Even in your article link the issue was "lack of clarity over the rules pertaining to accepting gifts as a public official served as an escape hatch." Great headline but in reality, the RCMP could not lay charges that would stick.

Now, corruption is real but only if caught and proven. Too many loopholes and lack of evidence to convict most of the time. We have "crime lords" that are generational that are in business because of lack of proof of the crimes and the corruption to keep them in business.

The only reason the RCMP didn’t charge him was because he is the Prime Minister,” Conservative ethics critic James Bezan told the House of Commons on Monday. “So there is one law for the Prime Minister and another law for all the rest of us.”

The documents show the RCMP believed there were “reasonable grounds” to think fraud may have been committed, but the force decided it would not be in the public interest to lay charges because of a lack of clarity in federal rules that apply to accepting gifts.

Because Mr. Trudeau is the head of government, the RCMP said, “it cannot be definitely determined whether or not Mr. Trudeau can simply provide consent to himself.”

https://newspunch.com/why-didnt-rcmp-arrest-trudeau-on-fraud-charges-because-he-is-prime-minister/

17 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

An opinion by a MP and not by lawyers, judges or the law. As I already said in my previous post they dropped it "because of a lack of clarity in federal rules that apply to accepting gifts. "

Every MP of every party make complaints about someone but never have enough proof or evidence to follow through with real charges.  More of a PR comment than substance to charge.

Trudeau though was actually "convicted " on 2 of the 3 ethics violations he faced... but we still love him enough to vote him in (or we hate the others more than him :))

Having said that, It is a real piss off he got away with this little trip.

Edited by ExFlyer

32 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

An opinion by a MP and not by lawyers, judges or the law. As I already said in my previous post they dropped it "because of a lack of clarity in federal rules that apply to accepting gifts. "

Every MP of every party make complaints about someone but never have enough proof or evidence to follow through with real charges.  More of a PR comment than substance to charge.

Trudeau though was actually "convicted " on 2 of the 3 ethics violations he faced... but we still love him enough to vote him in (or we hate the others more than him :))

Having said that, It is a real piss off he got away with this little trip.

He approved his own bullshit. Pixey-Dust is a POS.

Yes, Eyeball has not laid out in detail how his plan would work.  Would an MP have to notify some agency if they're at a lunch with a lobbyist?  Would they have to stream the conversation online or something so that the public can listen in?  I just don't get the logistics of so-called in camera lobbying.

Mice nuts.  Meh to corruption on a scale big enough to potentially turn our real estate into bubbles and make renting as unaffordable and unattainable for millions of Canadians.  But in the face of mice nuts, socks and hair it's call the cops.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

He approved his own bullshit. Pixey-Dust is a POS.

Like all high level CEO's, leaders, managers etc, they have their staff do the nit noid details.

Not excusing just saying their schedulers generally make their plans for them. If things get f'd up though, they have to take the responsibility.

4 minutes ago, Shady said:

Yes, Eyeball has not laid out in detail how his plan would work.  Would an MP have to notify some agency if they're at a lunch with a lobbyist?  Would they have to stream the conversation online or something so that the public can listen in?  I just don't get the logistics of so-called in camera lobbying.

Sounds like you do get it.  You're suggesting this sort of transparency would be to onerous a burden for Canadians to bear?

Is it fair to say contact tracing to ensure no one sneaks off to the can to cut a side deal out of sight would make you faint? 

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Like all high level CEO's, leaders, managers etc, they have their staff do the nit noid details.

Not excusing just saying their schedulers generally make their plans for them. If things get f'd up though, they have to take the responsibility.

Unless you're darling little Pixey-Dust evidently.

I always have to wonder...how can staunch Libbies push this abuse to the breaking point and then wonder why so many are siding with the PPC now in Canada?

The unadulterated horseshit must end!

16 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Unless you're darling little Pixey-Dust evidently.

I always have to wonder...how can staunch Libbies push this abuse to the breaking point and then wonder why so many are siding with the PPC now in Canada?

The unadulterated horseshit must end!

Staunch Libbies just as well as staunch conservatives and staunch NDPers play the game to the letter of the rules.

Do you really think Harper, Mulroney, Layton, Mulcair (not including Singh yet because I think he is too stupid) all did not play the game? Each and every one had ethics issues and scandals.

Politics just leads to ego feeding and abuse of power.

14 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Staunch Libbies just as well as staunch conservatives and staunch NDPers play the game to the letter of the rules.

Do you really think Harper, Mulroney, Layton, Mulcair (not including Singh yet because I think he is too stupid) all did not play the game? Each and every one had ethics issues and scandals.

Politics just leads to ego feeding and abuse of power.

Which is why I'm leaning to the PPC now.

15 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Which is why I'm leaning to the PPC now.

I actually thought that Maxime Bernier had promise and good ideas but when he lost the PC leadership he seemed to have gone off the rails.

His platform says lot and all the right things but he personally just lost that leadership "look". It just feels like (to me) that he is going to break out and go whacko at any moment.  Maybe just too bitter because of his PC leadership rejection?

55 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I actually thought that Maxime Bernier had promise and good ideas but when he lost the PC leadership he seemed to have gone off the rails.

His platform says lot and all the right things but he personally just lost that leadership "look". It just feels like (to me) that he is going to break out and go whacko at any moment.  Maybe just too bitter because of his PC leadership rejection?

Yet...he hasn't gone "wacko". Besides...its time Canada had a leader who will do right by the people and not special interest groups or wives. Someone who can stand up to the Globalists.

46 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Yet...he hasn't gone "wacko". Besides...its time Canada had a leader who will do right by the people and not special interest groups or wives. Someone who can stand up to the Globalists.

You mean stand up to commies or the corps? They both seem to be into globes.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

You mean stand up to commies or the corps? They both seem to be into globes.

There's no difference this time. The governments are consolidating power. They are "owned" by SIGs or...corporate interests. Same folks.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

There's no difference this time. The governments are consolidating power. They are "owned" by SIGs or...corporate interests. Same folks.

Well, when I stand against them I'm regarded by you people as a commie. Of course if I don't stand against them I'd be a Nazi I guess.

I'm just going to go with the flow. Maybe I'll borrow a page from the cis people and be a they.

Let me guess, that still makes me a commie?

• Haha 1