US Supreme Court strikes down Roe V. Wade

4 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

You guys get away with these broad, claims too much. When one asks for specifics, more often than not, they turn out to be more just wishful thinking for some imagined thing to whine about based on some outlier comment.

Show us specifically what you're talking about or sell your new religion, Malthusian narrative at a another doorstep.

Then why would Justice Thomas take the time make it clear that the same rationale could be used to challenge other laws? 

He cited Griswold vs Connecticut. 

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/579/griswold-v-connecticut#:~:text=In Griswold v.,advise anyone about their use.

In Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479 (1965), the Supreme Court invalidated a Connecticut law that made it a crime to use birth control devices or to advise anyone about their use. Relying in part on penumbras from the First Amendment, this landmark decision elaborated the right to privacy that subsequently became the basis for the Court’s abortion decision in Roe v. Wade (1973).

In overturning Roe v Wade, you declare that the same pretence that made the right to an abortion a constitutional right, The Right to Privacy, is now null and void. So many other cases can now be thrown out. 

4 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Conception? Appearance of a heartbeat? Development of the nervous system? Start of brain activity? Viability outside of womb? First breath? Pre-School? Noticeable disagreement of you or yours political opinion?

Another ruling: Planned Parenthood v Casey stated that Life begins once the life is viable outside the womb. 

Thomas's musing seems to have something to due with something he calls "substantiative due process" and the idea that if the defining of them becomes a legal precedent in the abortion decision the Supreme Court may need to be consider how it affects previous decisions - one of which you mention. 

It's more something to consider from a legal standpoint Thomas was musing over in his 'opinion.'

It remains to be seen what if any affect this will have on future decisions on matters other than abortion. Other justices suggested no affect. 

If you're saying it means American women won't be able to get contraception anymore that's nonsense or as said before wishful thinking on what you'd like to claim to make a point.

3 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

If you're saying it means American women won't be able to get contraception anymore that's nonsense or as said before wishful thinking on what you'd like to claim to make a point.

I never said that. 

But, as you highlighted, the point at which life begins is very subjective. 

So if there's no overarching federal precedent. Any Waffehouse State can most certainly look to overturn the effects of Griswold because the pretence that the precedent was built upon was just struck down. 

It's the type of silliness you get when your entire legal system is based on a document written in 18th Century. 

10 minutes ago, Boges said:

Another ruling: Planned Parenthood v Casey stated that Life begins once the life is viable outside the womb. 

Actually wasn't it "fetal viability?" Yeah it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_Parenthood_v._Casey

Current science says that's 20 weeks as I understand it.

So are you saying that's specifically where you stand then? In agreement with the "Plurality Opinion" of a now defunct supreme court decision that baby killing becomes some sort of right after 20 weeks in the womb?

Edited by Infidel Dog

Actually wasn't it "fetal viability?" Yeah it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_Parenthood_v._Casey

Current science says that's 20 weeks as I understand it.

So are you saying that's specifically where you stand then? In agreement with the "Plurality Opinion" of a now defunct supreme court decision that baby killing becomes some sort of right after 20 weeks in the womb?

I think it's fair. 

I would even entertain 12 weeks or when test can be done to determine if the fetus has any catastrophic genetic issues. 

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

I never said that. 

But, as you highlighted, the point at which life begins is very subjective. 

So if there's no overarching federal precedent. Any Waffehouse State can most certainly look to overturn the effects of Griswold because the pretence that the precedent was built upon was just struck down. 

It's the type of silliness you get when your entire legal system is based on a document written in 18th Century. 

So if I understand what you're saying then is you're not actually worried that American women are going to lose the ability to use contraception.

Not sure if it was you or not but somebody on the previous page was suggesting that was some sort of fact.

I said and continue to claim outright when you look into specifics that's not the case. He was using something some people talk about to suggest a now necessary boogey man, nightmare of a push for no contraception that was the ultimate consequence of the recent decision moving abortion law to the states.

1 minute ago, Infidel Dog said:

So if I understand what you're saying then is you're not actually worried that American women are going to lose the ability to use contraception.

Not sure if it was you or not but somebody on the previous page was suggesting that was some sort of fact.

I said and continue to claim outright when you look into specifics that's not the case. He was using something some people talk about to suggest a now necessary boogey man, nightmare of a push for no contraception that was the ultimate consequence of the recent decision moving abortion law to the states.

What about Gay Marriage? that's a more recent/controversial precedent that uses the same justification. 

You're telling me that, now the Right to Privacy argument has been made null and void, that lawyers aren't going to try to push it to the next logical conclusion. 

And there are varying levels of contraception. There are Condoms or the Pill. But there's also Plan B and IUDs. 

If someone believed that life begins at conception, then killing a fertilized embryo is murder. Why else is Stem Cell research so controversial in some places. 

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

I think it's fair. 

I would even entertain 12 weeks or when test can be done to determine if the fetus has any catastrophic genetic issues. 

We don't seem that far apart then, although I'm still open to being persuaded life begins at conception. 

Some 'life begins at conception' arguments are hard to deconstruct.

And if there's life where does this right come from to end it.

For now though I'm for saving whatever is a baby at as close to conception as possible because that seems like something that can be done.

2 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

For now though I'm for saving whatever is a baby at as close to conception as possible because that seems like something that can be done.

Well in the Texas law, 6-weeks seems too short to allow for the mother to have due diligence. Which was a problem. 

And then access is also an issue. If you are unable to get an abortion for weeks because access is so restricted, then it allows the fetus more time to develop. 

These are all personal decision. What upsets so many is they're moral judgements made by someone else. 

The old Rape an Incest thing comes back up. What about pregnancies where contraception fail? 

This is a completely grey issue but both sizes are only happy if it's black or white. 

8 minutes ago, Boges said:

What about Gay Marriage? that's a more recent/controversial precedent that uses the same justification. 

What about it? All I'm saying is the Clarence Thomas concerns on substantiative due process don't necessitate the death of contraception or anything else. 

1 minute ago, Infidel Dog said:

What about it? All I'm saying is the Clarence Thomas concerns on substantiative due process don't necessitate the death of contraception or anything else. 

It leaves the opening for it though. 

Again, back to my point that using the constitution as a sacrosanct document is silly. 

30 minutes ago, Boges said:

These are all personal decision. What upsets so many is they're moral judgements made by someone else. 

What are the arguments for abortion up to birth based on then.

Not morality, you say? You seem to be saying, no. What then? Science? No. Lila rose just explained to you why that's not the case in the video above.

Not morality. Not science? Politics then?

I don't know. I prefer the first two if I have to choose, myself.

The old Rape an Incest thing comes back up. What about pregnancies where contraception fail? 

These are decisions that will be decided by the states according to the Supreme Court decision. Seems like the better option to me. Easier to vote them down democratically if the state population doesn't agree.

16 minutes ago, Boges said:

It leaves the opening for it though. 

Again, back to my point that using the constitution as a sacrosanct document is silly. 

Federally you mean...in the supreme court where the majority opinion is that this decision only applies to this case and nothing not related to abortion. 

And all that was decided was the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives. Meaning the States.

You have something better than the constitution to decide such matters do you?

Go ahead then, Your Honor. Give us the final non-constitutional decision on Dobbs vs. Jackson Women's Health.

Edited by Infidel Dog

2 hours ago, Boges said:

So you're fine with abortion for Rape and Incest? OR failed Contraception? 

Some of these states will look to ban Contraception that allow fertilization but prevent pregnancy. 

contraception will not be banned

and no I am not in favor of abortion due to failed contraception

not that comfortable with incest or rape exemptions, but I would be willing compromise regardless

the only abortions I'm truly fine with are to protect the life or long term health of the mother

Federally you mean...in the supreme court where the majority opinion is that this decision only applies to this case and nothing not related to abortion. 

And all that was decided was the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives. Meaning the States.

You have something better than the constitution to decide such matters do you?

Go ahead then, Your Honor. Give us the final non-constitutional decision on Dobbs vs. Jackson Women's Health.

OK, I wouldn't allow states to ban abortion. Which many are doing. It's a personal medical decision. 

Edited by Boges

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

contraception will not be banned

and no I am not in favor of abortion due to failed contraception

not that comfortable with incest or rape exemptions, but I would be willing compromise regardless

the only abortions I'm truly fine with are to protect the life or long term health of the mother

Many disagree with that. 

It's funny, it's almost like personal choice is the best option here. 

Just now, Boges said:

Many disagree with that. 

It's funny, it's almost like personal choice is the best option here. 

I am aware that many disagree with that

and I personally think the government will do a shitty job of regulating abortion in some cases

but the right to do that belongs to the states, regardless of my personal opinion

it's their call, not mine, and not the federal governments

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

I am aware that many disagree with that

and I personally think the government will do a shitty job of regulating abortion in some cases

but the right to do that belongs to the states, regardless of my personal opinion

it's their call, not mine, and not the federal governments

You're also not American. We're just Canadians having theoretical debate. 

We live in a country where it's a personal decision. 

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

indeed

the second amendment is one of the most important rights

and certainly more important than infringing on the tenth amendment to tell states how to regulate abortions

The second amendment doesn't specify concealment. 

This is how pointy headed we can get with this. Nor did it conceive of a firearm that could be concealed.