Do you believe in the existence of soul?

What is life? What is a living thing? Is life defined by the soul inside? What happens when we die? Do we have souls? Are we both body and soul or just body? If we do have soul then where is it and what happens to it after we die.

I don't want religious mambo jumbo like what this religious book or that religious book says. I want your opinion as an intelligence being without what may have been said thousand or thousands years ago. Any thought or related experiences please share.

I don't know the answers. I believe there is a good chance we do have souls. They are in our brains or hearts. They enter the fetus before birth and leave our body after death. They reincarnate in different bodies maybe within families. Those with good deeds will be rewarded a rebirth in a good family in a good region of the world. And those with evil deeds will be reborn in poverty or difficult regions . I don't know all these for sure but this is the closest to reality in my view.

• Like 1

I want to shine on, in the hearts of man
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand.(All these things that I have done)

In my humble opinion, if there was no soul, there would be very little music.

BTW, you said no mambo jumbo and then you gave some mambo jumbo at the end of your post.  But everybody has some mambo jumbo, because life is a mystery.  Love is a dancer.  

Some stand and fight evil because it’s the right thing to do, even though they risk their lives. Why?  Soul.

Edited by sharkman
  • Like 1

I believe we have a soul and it is our soul that’s makes us different from other people.  Physical attributes and material wealth aren’t that meaningful or determine who we are.  It is soul.

That would explain why so many “live lives of quiet desperation”; there’s a yearning to feel connected, to meet people that “get you” – your soul tribe.

And animals have souls too, that’s what kills me when I see them abused. Just because we cannot communicate with them doesn’t mean they don’t feel or that their existence is less important than that of us humans…

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 5:23 AM, sharkman said:

I want to shine on, in the hearts of man
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand.(All these things that I have done)

In my humble opinion, if there was no soul, there would be very little music.

BTW, you said no mambo jumbo and then you gave some mambo jumbo at the end of your post.  But everybody has some mambo jumbo, because life is a mystery.  Love is a dancer.  

Some stand and fight evil because it’s the right thing to do, even though they risk their lives. Why?  Soul.

Hi.

Define your view on soul.

Do you think in substance dualism terms?

If you do not, you seem in a small minority.

Regards

DL

On 5/1/2022 at 12:07 PM, Luz P. said:

doesn’t mean they don’t feel or that their existence is less important than that of us humans…

All life deserves respect and veneration, sure, but to say that what we call lower animals are more important to a human than a human would be to disrespect the high for the low.

That is not a decent ideology.

Your wife is more important than your dog.

Regards

DL 

On 4/28/2022 at 6:09 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

What is life? What is a living thing? Is life defined by the soul inside? What happens when we die? Do we have souls? Are we both body and soul or just body? If we do have soul then where is it and what happens to it after we die.

I don't want religious mambo jumbo like what this religious book or that religious book says. I want your opinion as an intelligence being without what may have been said thousand or thousands years ago. Any thought or related experiences please share.

We do not know enough yet.

The telepathic realm exists and we know next to nothing of it, so trying to explain who created telepathy is what a God would be.

I don't know the answers. I believe there is a good chance we do have souls. They are in our brains or hearts. They enter the fetus before birth and leave our body after death. They reincarnate in different bodies maybe within families. Those with good deeds will be rewarded a rebirth in a good family in a good region of the world. And those with evil deeds will be reborn in poverty or difficult regions . I don't know all these for sure but this is the closest to reality in my view.

Good and evil are quire subjective, which negates your overall view of reality, unless you see perfection in all things.

IOW, you have to think like a Gnostic Christian. IDK how many can these ( happily ) Godless days.

You seem to have us rewarding ourselves by our own standards and biases.

Who or what would help you judge fairly?

Regards

DL

Here is what Gnostic Christianity has on the soul. It would know of all visions.

Gnostic Jesus was questioned as to what sees the vision?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/maps/primary/mary.html

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

===================

Christianity does not quite agree, wording wise, with us.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Our hearts just confirm that the vision is a treasure.

If there is a soul, our minds are it's creator and master.

Regards

DL

6 hours ago, French Patriot said:

You seem to describe our consciousness.

Define what you mean by soul.

Regards

DL

Can't easily say what. The original post does not define what they mean either, so I am off the hook.

We are made having two, distinct parallel processors. One is fine-tunes for reason, logic, and words. The other is all about abstraction and the big picture. Perhaps having a soul is when you are able to reconcile the two.

I recently watched an interesting documentary, "The Divided Brain". I think the first 20 minutes or so of it are so important, every human being should watch it.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 6:09 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

The Latin word for "soul" is anima. It  is where we get the word animation. The soul is the animating life force of the body. All corporeal living things have a soul.

Spiritual beings, like angels, do not need a soul because they have no corporeal body to animate. They are pure spirit.

Man is unique among Gods creation, for man's soul is a spiritual soul, a single thing. When our bodies die, our spirit lives on forever.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Can't easily say what. The original post does not define what they mean either, so I am off the hook.

We are made having two, distinct parallel processors. One is fine-tunes for reason, logic, and words. The other is all about abstraction and the big picture. Perhaps having a soul is when you are able to reconcile the two.

I recently watched an interesting documentary, "The Divided Brain". I think the first 20 minutes or so of it are so important, every human being should watch it.

Thanks for this.

I take it that you do not define a soul as sentient, in a supernatural or life on it's own way.

Again I see more of the term consciousness in what you put, which consists of both right and left hemispheres of our brains. This is likely the Franglais in me.

Regards

DL

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Great American said:

The Latin word for "soul" is anima. It  is where we get the word animation. The soul is the animating life force of the body. All corporeal living things have a soul.

Spiritual beings, like angels, do not need a soul because they have no corporeal body to animate. They are pure spirit.

Man is unique among Gods creation, for man's soul is a spiritual soul, a single thing. When our bodies die, our spirit lives on forever.

This is opinion based on fiction, not fact.

Do you really want to be seen as a liar?

If not, show how these lies of yours are in any way provable to be true.

Canadians hate lying Canadians. 

That is how we differ from lying Americans.

They value good lies.

Regards

DL

Edited by French Patriot

23 hours ago, Great American said:

11 hours ago, French Patriot said:

This is opinion based on fiction, not fact.

As usual, you are an imbecile and a Cretin. Move along son, the grownups are talking.

As a humanist I don't. Given the science on the how the universe was created there were no gods involved so that precludes the existence of a soul.

Before I was humanist I was a taoist which is a huge religion in China. They believe everything was created by a mysterious force called the Tao and don't believe ib souls either. As far as I know souls are mainly a teaching of the Abrahamic religions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WonderNerdDD said:

As a humanist I don't. Given the science on the how the universe was created there were no gods involved so that precludes the existence of a soul.

Before I was humanist I was a taoist which is a huge religion in China. They believe everything was created by a mysterious force called the Tao and don't believe ib souls either. As far as I know souls are mainly a teaching of the Abrahamic religions.

I disagree. Material dualism ( body soul or spirit thinking,  is almost universal.

Do you not think this way?

Regards

DL

• 4 weeks later...

I personally tend to believe in soul. I recently lost a very dear member of family who was everything and everyone to me. I have seen her 4 times since. Always when I am about to wake up from sleep. They say when we are sleep our souls are freed and can join other souls. She has been visiting me in the same apartment we shared and lived for many years.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:42 PM, WonderNerdDD said:

There is no science proving the universe came about by a "big  bang" and the theory of evolution has been well refuted.  The big bang and theory of evolution are just theories, unproven.   People who say science shows how the universe came about actually demonstrate they don't know anything about it.  I suspect many scientists, if they are being honest, will admit there is no science on it.  Science involves things that are observable or proven by the scientific method.  There was nobody around to observe the so-called big bang or evolution, so there is no science on it.   So atheism is a false belief system.

11 hours ago, blackbird said:

There is no science proving the universe came about by a "big  bang" and the theory of evolution has been well refuted.  The big bang and theory of evolution are just theories, unproven.   People who say science shows how the universe came about actually demonstrate they don't know anything about it.  I suspect many scientists, if they are being honest, will admit there is no science on it.  Science involves things that are observable or proven by the scientific method.  There was nobody around to observe the so-called big bang or evolution, so there is no science on it.   So atheism is a false belief system.

You ignore the proofs of science, while believing in an invisible genocidal prick of a God without proof.

At least atheists don't end in having to hate their gay children.

I guess that you are also ignoring the stats that show that atheists are more moral, law abiding and peaceful citizens than theists.

Get better or just do as most religionists are doing and shrinking religions by turning into statistically better people.

Atheist.

Nothing quite like a guy who believes in fantasies telling intelligent people to think supernatural and stupid.

Stop it.

Regards

DL

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 5:07 AM, Great American said:

Yes, I mostly agree with this, but I would add to it.  We are a triune being, like God.  He created us in His image.  Physical body.  Soul, made up of will, mind and emotions.  And spirit, which dwells in the spiritual dimension.  It’s the spirit that lives forever.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:07 AM, Great American said:

It's debatable that is what the word means, although it could mean something like that. In latin it contrasts with anumus, which means conscious mental rational thoughts. This is not unlike our two identifiable hemispheres, left and right brain, which are separate massive organs connects by a thin strand or bridge of neurons between them.

Perhaps a soul is more than anima. If it is a life-force alone, could we attribute a soul to mushrooms, for example?

Vegans shudder at the thought. You heartless bastards...  ;)

Or is the soul something more? What exactly is even meant here by soul anyway. Soul what?
Do I believe in the existence of soul? Yes, I listened to Marvin Gaye.

Right on, brother. Right on...

On 7/2/2022 at 7:41 AM, sharkman said:

Yes, I mostly agree with this, but I would add to it.  We are a triune being, like God.  He created us in His image.  Physical body.  Soul, made up of will, mind and emotions.  And spirit, which dwells in the spiritual dimension.  It’s the spirit that lives forever.

In his image?

Are you believing in Yahweh, the endogenous, male and female based God?

Created In our image, male and female and called them Adam, is the right wording. Right?

You say triune, while in all other aspects of reality, we are dualistic.

You have a soul doing what your mind does, thinking, and so you are obviously not thinking well on this.

Regards

DL

On 7/4/2022 at 10:21 AM, OftenWrong said:

It's debatable that is what the word means,

Indeed.

Here is a Gnostic rendering.

Gnostic Jesus was questioned as to what sees the vision?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/maps/primary/mary.html

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

===================

Christianity does not quite agree, wording wise, with us.

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Our hearts just confirm that the vision is a treasure.

Regards

DL

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I myself believe that there is some sort of existence after death.  I have never seen a ghost.  But on a few occasions I have experienced unexplainable things.  I have also seen and heard plenty of evidence on shows like "Ghost Adventures."  Here is another point to the contrary.  It concerns those who have died and came back to life.  Some of them have claimed to have gotten a glimpse of the afterlife.  For those who believe in the afterlife on those grounds, they are fooling themselves.  You cant know what it is like to be dead until you're all the way dead.  Also, I was watching on some program that according to medicine, at least in some cases, brain activity actually increases when you are close to death.  That could very well explain the experiences some people claimed to have had when close to death.

• Like 1